- Text Size +
“Just listen my dear,” he said taking her hand in his. “Your cousin Henry is quite a gentleman, I have learned that he has come to have a special preference for you. He actually came to me and has asked my permission to court you. I say this because I will not force you to it, but I do feel like I should persuade you to accept him.” he said in stern voice.

“I do not see Henry like that father,” Julia said pulling her hand away from his. “I will not let him court me,” she stood up and curtsied leaving her father before he could say anything more. Tears falling down her eyes as she ran out of her house not caring the horrid weather that hit her as she began to run.

“Julia?” Nicholas asked as she ran past him out the door. “Julia wait,” he said running after her.

“No!” Julia answered to him. “Nicholas go back in you cannot get ill when you are to wed soon. “I will be fine,” she said stopping in her tracks. Her clothes were already soaked.

*******

Julia felt the effects of her walk the day before, “Lady Sudbury?” she groaned not wanting to get out of her warm bed.

“Miss Julia you look ill,” Lady Sudbury said running to her side. She felt her forehead and shook her head in disappointment. “You have fever, I’ll go get some water and call for a doctor.”

“Please do not get a doctor just bring me a tea I will be fine,” Julia begged her.

“Miss Julia I must you do not look well,” She answered looking at her curiously.

“Please,” she said in a desperate tone as she forced herself off the bed. “I am fine,” she said getting the dress Lady Sudbury had set for her to wear. She knew today was the day Caroline would arrive and that meant Alexander too.

“Miss Julia please lie back down you are not well,” Lady Sudbury said hesitating in helping her into her dress.

“I am fine just find me my smelling salts and some tea. I will be better in no time,” Julia insisted knowing that Lady Sudbury would not deny her that.

“Fine Miss Julia but if you feel too ill you must promise me you will come back to bed. Lets hope no one else sees how ill you look,” She told her pinching her cheeks to bring color to her pale face. “You are burning,” Lady Sudbury gasped.

“My tea,” Julia demanded trying to take the worry off lady Sudbury.

********

Julia pretended to read her book but she was not concentrating much, her fever was gone for now but she still had the slight discomfort in her chest. She just hoped it would not go further than a minor fever, “There here,” she whispered as she stood up from her study room.

Julia ran down the stairs wanting to be one of the first to greet the McLean’s. Suddenly she felt like she could not breathe and began to cough hysterically. She stopped and went into the library trying to calm herself, she could not allow anyone to see she was ill if not she would not be able to spend time with Caroline or Alexander. “Coming,” she managed to yell at her brother who was calling her to come down.

A few minutes later she was controlled and walked out to find Mr. McLean staring her way, she could not help the strange feeling inside her as his eyes met hers. She curtsied and walked toward him and the rest that were now coming from outside. “Mr. McLean,” she said then she tore her stare from him and her smile widen when she saw her soon to be sister in law. “Caroline,” she went to hug her.

“Oh, Julia how nice to see you,” Caroline chimed as she hugged Julia back.

“Julia my dear it is very nice to see you again,” Mrs. McLean said interrupting the warm embrace.

Julia curtsied toward Mrs. McLean and then cleared her throat to speak, “Mrs. McLean welcome to Bayshore,” she smiled to her.

“Enough please join us, Julia please play for us,” Sir William said as everyone walked toward the large common room.

Julia did as her father asked ignoring the headache that bothered her as she played the piano forte, she felt his stare on her and she could not wait to be able to speak to him alone.

After dinner the McLean’s left back to Whitlock where they were staying in the only lodging place Whitlock had. Before leaving though he was able to hand Julia a letter, “I will see you tomorrow Miss Julia,” he whispered to her as he handed it to her out of sight to everyone else.

**********

My Julia,

I have been yearning for this moment to see you again. Please meet me at Miss Singleton’s house tomorrow.

Love,

Alexander.

Julia smiled as she reread the small yet sweet letter from Mr. McLean.

“Well looks like you are in a better mood tonight,” Henry interrupted as he walked into Julia’s study room.

Julia was a little startled yet she managed to hide her letter, “I have a reason to be happy Henry my brother is about to become the happiest man in all the surrounding area.” She managed to say as she turned to face her cousin.

“I do have to admit Miss McLean is quite handsome, but I still happen to think someone is much prettier than her.” Henry said smiling at her cousin.

“It is getting late if you will excuse me I shall head to bed,” Julia said ignoring his comment.

“Please cousin, why have you become so crossed with me? I sincerely apologize if my arrogance insulted you… but you have to admit at least I was being honest. I do have to say though that if I were to believe that there was such women to achieve what any man can it would be you dear cousin. You are very smart and beautiful as well.” He took her hand and kissed it.

“Your right I could and many other women could too. I accept your apology cousin but I do have to go, I am very tired.” She curtsied and pulled her hand away from his grip. “Good night cousin.”