- Text Size +
“Yes father you asked for me to come see you?” Julia said as she walked into the study where her father awaited. She stopped mid-step when she saw who stood in the same room with him… Alexander.

“Yes I did my Julia… please do come in.” Sir William Carter said with a serious tone.

“Sir McLean please wait for my call in the hall please,” he said not even glancing at the young man as he walked out the room.

Julia saw the small smile that played on Alexander’s face before he walked out yet she still felt the ebb in her stomach as she took a seat on one of the chairs. “Poppa?” Julia said in a very subtle voice.

“Julia,” Sir Carter said as he held his hand up. “I do not want to hear anything from you just yet… first you must answer two simple questions from me.” he eyed and finally a small smile was detected in his face.

“Yes sir,” Julia said as she looked at her lap.

“Mr. McLean has come to this house to ask me for your hand in marriage. Now this has come sort of a shock to me my dear Julia because to my knowledge you are still heart broke about Sir Lucas. I just want to know two things… one do you want to marry Sir Alexander he is a man no doubt at almost thirty.” Sir Carter said as he walked and sat right in front of his daughter. “Well?”

“I do sir,” Julia said finally looking up to her father. “I am very much in love with Sir McLean since the first time he came here to Bayshore… I did not understand my feeling then poppa but I love him.”

Sir William laughed a frivolous laugh as he saw the rose tint that grew on his daughter’s face. “My lord why have I not noticed this? You married to Mr. McLean… I have to admit you have made quite a good choice Julia he is of very high social standing and very wealthy indeed.”

“I did not look at that father he is a very nice kind gentleman and that’s why I love him.” Julia said to her father.

“I see so here is my other question, what shall we do with you insufferable cousin? He still believes he can win your heart my dear Julia,” Mr. Carter said laughing again.

“I have no idea father… he is very vile alright.” Julia chuckled with her father.

“I will deal with him, but I do have to say Julia I am happy with your choice and I consent to give you hand in marriage to such noble man.”

“Oh poppa thank you,” Julia said in excitement as she stood and hugged her father. “I am the happiest woman alive.”

“I am sure you are, now call Mr. McLean in we have to celebrate I will tell Lady Sudbury to call your mother! She will be shocked alright...” Mr. Carter said a very pleasant smile playing on his lips.

********

Two days later Sir McLean arrived to London with the sole purpose of telling his mother about his engagement to Julia Carter.

“Son,” Lady McLean said greeting her son.

“Mamma,” Alexander said kissing his mother’s hand. “I have great news for you.”

“Well son do tell,” She said with a brilliant smile on her face as took a sip of her tea.

“I have been made the happiest man alive,” he gloated as he took a seat beside her. “I have been wanting to talk to you about this but have never had a chance with all that has happened… but I must tell you now. I am to be married to Miss Julia Carter, I have asked for her hand in marriage and have been accepted.” He said a very genuine smile on his face.

“My dear boy,” Denise said putting her tea aside. “You engaged to Miss Carter? Was she not engaged to Sir Lucas? Even though I did not see him at the wedding.”

“Mamma, Sir Lucas is to never be mentioned the retched man is no good he had asked for Julia’s hand in marriage while had with child another woman. He only asked for Julia’s hand in marriage because he knew how advantageous that marriage would have been. The truth mamma I have been courting Julia since I first met her and realized how beautiful she is.”

“what a vile man Sir Lucas, to honest son though I sort of felt like there was something more between the two of you.” Lady McLean said a smile spreading on her face.

“I have to say I am happy with your choice my son, Julia is quite pretty and comes from a wealthy family.”

“I am glad you like her mother.”

*******

While Alexander was in London taking care of business in Bayshore the preparations for Julia’s wedding had begun.

In exactly three months a winter wedding would take place. Julia was elated and did not waste time in preparing her wedding gown. She knew Angelina’s mom was a very good seamstress so she was going to use her to design her own wedding gown.

Nicholas and Caroline were in Lime, but not before celebrating with them the glorious news. “I am very happy to hear you will marry my brother,” she had told Julia just before she had left.

If you wondering what happened to Henry well he did not stay much longer after he found out about his cousin’s engagement. Of course he also got the lecture of his life from Sir William when Sir William found out about his real motives in courting Julia.

It turned out that Henry had gambled his inheritance and was very much broke. He did think Julia was pretty but he saw the advantage of courting her. What he did not know was that maybe Julia would have considered him at some point had it not been for his proud behavior.

Things were finally looking up for Julia and her family… Everyone they knew was getting notified of the grand wedding. Julia was indeed her father’s favorite just like Nicholas they were only bringing the best…
Chapter End Notes:
OK so thanks to all that have followed this story this is the second to last chapter of the end. I am working on the end as we speak... Please enjoy and review.