- Text Size +
It was a day before the ball and guests were arriving. Mr. Crawford was one of the first’s to arrive along with him came his best friend Sir Arthur Lucas. He was handsome and well educated that was for sure. Roberta seemed to be happy with her fathers choice for her, Mr. Crawford really was a handsome man.

Now I must say that everyone in the house was blind to what I saw. I saw love blooming in the summer; I saw it in Miss Julia’s eyes as well as Mr. McLean. I must say I was the culprit because I should have kept Miss Julia far away as possible from him. I had been already asked by Mrs. Carter herself to try and get Miss Elizabeth more interested in Mr. McLean. I just could not though; I had been raised in an orphanage where I would have loved to have found true love like I had read in many books. Now I was experiencing it in front of me.

“Mr. McLean,” Lady Sudbury yelled as she caught up to him and the rest of the gentlemen that had all decided to go hunting. “I apologize but, I was sent to let you know that Sir Littrell has arrived just a few minutes ago.” She had to catch her breath after running after them they were already halfway into the woods.

“Oh I must go greet them. You must continue without me…but I will gladly join you another time.” Mr. McLean told the rest of the party made up by…Howard, Nicholas, Mr. Crawford and his friend Sir Lucas.

“Or we can all go next time?” Nicholas said to them.

“Oh no Sir, I would not want to impose on such a good day for hunting. Please go without me,” Mr. McLean said.

“Fine we shall but, we you must join us next time…” Nicholas told him.

*******

“Oh brother how I have missed you,” Lady Caroline told Mr. McLean as they hugged. “How’s mother?”

“She is well and will soon be visiting you and cousin Leighanne in Augusta. I did tell you in my last letter she has me looking into buying the estate in Lime right by Mr. Littrell’s own estate.” He smiled to his sister and then proceeded to greet his cousin and her husband.

“It’s certainly a pleasure to see you again Alexander.” Sir Littrell said to him.

“Tomorrows ball is the talk of all Whitlock,” Leighanne added as silence took over the room.

“Yes indeed it is,” Mrs. Carter said as she walked in followed by her three daughters. “You must be Miss Caroline McLean?” she curtsied to the beautiful young lady.

“Yes that’s my beloved sister Mrs. Carter and this right here is my cousin Leighanne and her husband Sir Littrell.” Sir McLean said as he introduced his family.

“Nice to meet you,” lady Caroline said as she curtsied back at her and her daughters.

“No the pleasure is all ours right my daughters?” Mrs. Carter said as she turned to face her daughters.

“Yes it is Momma, I’m Roberta Carter,” Roberta told her and the other two that accompanied her.

Julia followed suit, “I’m Julia Carter,” she smiled as she curtsied to them. She began to blush as she the smile that crept on Mr. McLean’s face as she introduced herself.

“My dear Elizabeth please present yourself,” Mrs. Carter told Elizabeth who was still very quiet.

“Yes mother, I’m Elizabeth Carter,” she said in an almost whisper causing her mothers sigh to be heard. She knew her mother was crossed about her weak introduction to Lady Caroline. Her mother had already told her about her father’s intentions to have her marry Mr. McLean and even though he was handsome he was not what she wanted. Yet it seemed like she had no choice the only thing in her favor was the distance Mr. McLean kept from her. It was obvious he did not like what he was hearing.

“So Mr. Littrell are you from the Littrell’s from Augusta?” Mrs. Carter asked Sir Brian as they all sat down for some tea Mrs. Carter had already ordered to be brought.

“Yes indeed Mrs. Carter, Sir Thomas Littrell was my father.” He answered.

“Yes, I am acquainted with him my father used to be his earl before he passed away.” Mrs. Carter said as her eyes watered at the remembrance of her father.

*******

“How do I look Lady Sudbury?” Julia asked her governess as she twirled around in her room with her new gown. It was the most elegant gown she owned now, her father had surprised her with it.

“Like a true noblewoman Miss Julia, you will be the most beautiful lady at the ball tonight. Especially in the arms of your handsome brother Sir Nicholas.” Lady Sudbury answered as she calmed Miss Julia long enough to finish fixing her hair.

“May I come in?” Nicholas asked as he knocked on the door.

“Yes brother you may,” Julia answered as she ran into his arms. “So how do I look brother?”

“You look very beautiful Julia…Are you ready to go down? We have to be down there to greet our guest.” Nicholas said to her as he kissed her hand. “I will be the envy of the ball especially on the first two dances. I will have the most beautiful lady dancing with me,” he told his sister.

“Oh stop that Nicholas; I saw the way you stared at Lady Caroline last night.” Julia told her brother as they walked toward where the ball would take place.

Nicholas laughed heartedly at her sister’s comment, “You did? Well I am single and looking for a suitable wife sister…Lady Caroline seems to be a good choice don’t you think? She is very pretty of course no one beats your beauty…”

“Oh brother I just want you to be happy. If she will make you happy I will love her like my sister. Just promise me one thing? You will marry for love…you must.” She faced her brother as she told him this.

“Why I only plan to marry for love my sister,” Nicholas said as he smiled at her sister. “Now let’s get going.”

*******

They greeted so many people but, finally the ball had started. The first dances like promised Nicholas danced with his sister, after that he seemed to only dance with Lady Caroline. “Well you must come and visit my sister Julia sometime. She really liked you; she thinks you will be a great friend.” Nicholas told her as they danced. The truth was that he as well would love to see her more often.

“Yes Miss Julia is such a sweet girl; I might just join my brother later this summer.” Lady Caroline told Sir Nicholas. He was a very handsome man much more attractive than her brother’s friend Sir Dorough. Her brother had mentioned that he would like for her to marry Howard but he was just not what she wanted. But Mr. Carter was different his blue eyes and contagious smile made her feel butterflies in her stomach.

Julia was smiling as she saw her brother dance with Lady Caroline. She hoped Nicholas would find someone to love him as much as he would love that person back. She smiled at her friend Angelina who joined her where she sat. “Angelina do you see my brother? Does he not look handsome?”

“Yes indeed Julia he looks very handsome, nothing to what he looked years back. I must ask you Julia who is the man that ca not seem to stop staring at you? He tries to be cautious as he stares but I can definitely see it,” she pointed discreetly to Sir McLean.

“That is Sir McLean my Cousin Howard’s friend.” as she told her that she saw him walking toward them. “Don’t look to fretful Angelina but he’s coming this way.”

“Miss Carter may I have the next two dances?” Sir McLean asked Julia as he vowed to the two young ladies.

“Yes of course,” Julia answered as she blushed. She had been yearning for that moment. She was hoping that he would ask her to dance. She had watched him dance with his sister and then with her sister Elizabeth at her fathers request of course.

******

Julia curtsied as the song began to play… “This song is nice,” she began to make conversation with Sir McLean.

“Yes indeed it is Miss Julia. I bet you would play it much better on the piano forte.” He smiled at her.

She blushed as they continued to dance, “I hope I am doing well…” she told him as he turned her.

“Miss Julia you are a wonderful dancer I can assure you that. So it seems my sister has taken quite a good liking to Mr. Carter.”

“Yes it seems like so…Just like you will for my sister Elizabeth right?” Julia asked him with a hint of jealousy in her voice.

He smiled at her and then he said in a soft voice…”Miss Julia if I am to marry a Carter I will only have one choice…you. I am not interested in Miss Elizabeth in that way…its you Miss Julia that has me feeling like Romeo did for Juliet.” He stared at her sternly as the song ended.

Julia felt like she needed air, had she heard Mr. McLean correctly? She curtsied and walked away…as she walked into the garden she couldn’t help but smile. He liked her, but what would her family say? She was only seventeen, why he was much older.