- Text Size +
It was early morn when Miss Julia snuck out of her home for a well deserved walk to clear her thoughts. “Mr. McLean…” she sighed as she thought about the talk they had had at the ball. She did not know if she was scared or happy about his confession. It was quite cool yet it did not seem to bother her at all. She walked into the luscious garden, she was a excited she was going to be able to catch the sunrise.

“Like a rose opening upon the morning dew, is your beauty…” Sir McLean whispered into Miss Julia’s ear as he walked up behind her.

“Oh my…Mr. McLean…” she whispered as she turned to face him. She felt a little weak as he stared into her eyes.

“I see we have one more thing in common Miss Julia. We like to see life rise…the sun is to rise soon. May I join you?” he asked as he kissed her hand.

“I…I must go.” Julia told him as she removed her hand from his grip.

“Please Miss Julia do not leave, I was the intruder. I will leave, but before I go I must let you know. I am leaving Bayshore Court as soon as possible. I ca not continue to pretend that I am interested in Miss Elizabeth. You have bewitched me Miss Julia, I will stay if I can get a word from you that you feel at least some sort of profound feeling for me. If not I must go and try to forget your beautiful smile.” Alexander told Julia as he inched his face close to hers.

“I…I am not ready to be involved romantically with anyone Mr. McLean. Yes it’s true we have many things in common but, I ca not profess to you that I feel the same when at this moment I feel nothing more than friendship towards you Sir.” Julia trembled as she told him that. Deep inside she felt her heart beat faster at Mr. McLean’s confession.

“Well than I think I have overstayed my presence in Bayshore. I ca not stand being here and know you have no other sentiments for me than that of a dear friend. Goodbye Miss Julia.” Alexander said as he vowed to her.

She could not say anything more; she just stood there watching him walk away. Her hand out of instinct went to her chest; something in her heart told her she had lost a great opportunity.

*******

As Mr. McLean had told Miss Julia the next morning he told everyone of his departure. His excuse was the estate he was buying in Lime; he was needed by his earl. “It has been a pleasure to meet you and your hospitable family Sir Carter.” He vowed to them all as he got into the carriage that waited for him. He looked at Miss Julia one more time a stare that could speak thousands of words about his fascination for her.

Julia watched the carriage disappear and had not heard her Cousin Howard speaking. “My friend always worrying about his fortune and his mother.” Howard repeated.

“Yes indeed a great gentleman who would have made a very great husband for Elizabeth. If only she would have tried harder to make him look at her in that manner. Let’s hope he did and he will come back to ask for you hand Elizabeth if not you will be at your brother’s mercy. You know he is the heir of this estate and you will be stuck as an old maid.” Sir William told his daughter harshly.

“It would be my pleasure to have you here with me my dear Elizabeth. If you do not want to get married you can stay with me, do not listen to papa, he is just getting old. He wants to see all of his daughters in good hands. But I can assure you father that I will care for all my sisters if they were to never marry. Bayshore is big enough for them and my wife to be…” He said as he looked at his father and hugged Elizabeth.

“Well Mr. Carter you are forgetting that I will be taking Roberta away from Bayshore. I am very much enthralled by your sister’s beauty and education. She will make me a proud husband…” Mr. Crawford told Nicholas as they all went back into the house.

“Your right Mr. Crawford Roberta is a great woman as much as my other two sisters.”

*********

Soon it was just Mr. Howard, Nicholas and the rest of his family in Bayshore. But a date had been set upon for Roberta’s wedding with Mr. Crawford. In exactly two months Roberta would be Mrs. Crawford and the preparations had begun. Of course Julia and Elizabeth would be the bridesmaids. Fall was getting closer and Nicholas departure to London soon would be here. Which meant Howard’s too.

“My dear cousin may I have a word with you?” Mr. Howard asked Elizabeth who was busying sewing.

“Yes of course, cousin…” Elizabeth said as she looked up to face her cousin.

“Will you take a walk with me?” he asked her.

“If you insist…” Elizabeth blushed as she stood up and allowed her cousin to guide to the garden.

Once in the garden he faced her, “My dear cousin my time here in Bayshore is soon to end and I could not depart without telling you that I have come very fond of our conversations and that I wish you would allow me to write to you from London.” Howard said as he locked eyes with his cousin.

“I would love to get letters from you cousin; they will definitely be very enlightening for me. I will miss you Cousin Howard,” Elizabeth told him.

“I must be honest and tell you cousin that my affections for you are more than just familial. I have come to love seeing the shine in your eyes…the calmness in the way you present yourself to others. I hope you do not think I am being to forward…but please tell me that you accept my proposal. I want you to be my wife Cousin Elizabeth.” Howard finished and kissed her hand.

“Yes, I accept…” she whispered as she smiled at him.

“Yes? You will…you have made me the happiest man alive. Oh my Elizabeth I must ask my uncle for your hand.” He hugged her and softly brushed his lips on hers.

*******

Julia was astounded to have heard of her sister Elizabeth’s unexpected proposal to Cousin Howard. She should not have been too surprised though she had seen her cousin look at Elizabeth like…Mr. McLean had seen her. “I am happy for you Eliza, I really am.”

“Oh Julia not as happy as me, I feel elated. To think I will be married to Howard in six months. That only leaves you my dear Julia? Perhaps you did not notice but Sir Lucas was quite attentive to you at the ball.” Elizabeth told her as she took a seat on the bed.

“Sir Lucas? No I could not see myself with him…he’s too egotistical for his own good. No sister, I still have not found the right husband for me. To think that father was about to marry you with Cousin Howard’s friend Mr. McLean.” Julia said and just then Mr. McLean’s words came to her head.

“Mr. McLean is very handsome but he just did not suit me. I have to admit to you sister that I love Howard he is what a gentleman should be, like we read in the books.” Elizabeth sighed as she thought about her future wedding.