- Text Size +
[Spring 1821]

Julia tore through the letter and began to read:

My dear Julia,

Do I have news for you, first of all I am happy to announce that I have been seeing Miss Caroline for the past months and it seems we are getting along quite well. I am actually going to ask her hand in marriage soon, I am in love my dear Julia. I can’t seem to loose my smile at all no matter how my day goes, she makes me smile. Our sister Elizabeth could not be better here in London, Cousin Howard has her spoiled. She seems to get along quite well with our aunt. She has even told me about possibly having you come down to London, she feels like you must be very lonely in Bayshore, I agree besides I would love for you to be here with me when I ask Caroline to marry me.

On other news not a good one, I have bumped into Sir Lucas quite a few times and they have not been well taken. How dare he imply that he will soon be my brother in law! Over my dead body, just between us I have hired someone to find out more about him, I know he is hiding something. I just hope he has not told anyone else about his and father’s deal…it will not happen I can assure you that.

Well I must go my dear sister duty calls. Take care and I hope to see you here soon, Miss Caroline sends you the warmest hug and is as excited to see you come. I had to tell her about my sister’s plan.

Nicholas Carter

She could not be happier for her brother and Miss Caroline. “That means I will see Mr. McLean again,” she said to herself as she put the letter away with the many others she had from her brother.

“Julia,” Mr. Carter said as he walked into her study room.

“Yes father,” she asked as she turned to face her father. She smiled a little as she saw what he held on his hand.

“Now I know that you might feel a little lonely now that both your sisters are married and away. But this morning I received this letter from your sister Elizabeth who seems to miss you, she asks me to allow you to go spend the spring with her in London.” He told Julia as he smiled at her. “Now I have thought this through and I would not like for you to go but, if you want to I will oblige. I will miss you though but it would only be for the spring,” Mr. Carter hugged his youngest daughter.

“I want to go father,” Julia told him as she hugged her father back, at the same time wanting to confront him about Sir Lucas but she had promised Nicholas not too.

“Well then its settled you will leave day after tomorrow,” he told her letting her go, “Now I must go break the news to you mother.”

Julia watched her father leave and jumped in excitement. She was happy she was going to see Nicholas, Elizabeth, Miss Caroline and that meant she would see Mr. McLean.

**********

Julia walked out of the barouche and smiled as she saw her sister standing on the doorway. “Sister,” Julia ran to her giving her a hug.

“Welcome to our abode Cousin Julia,” Howard said as he walked to her and his now wife.

“Cousin Howard,” Julia hugged her cousin and smiled. “I love London, it is gorgeous…we must go shopping and everything imaginable.” She said with excitement.

“Well if not I will take you,” Nicholas said as he walked out of the house with a big grin on his face.

“Nicholas!” she ran to her brother. “I have missed you so much!”

“Well you are here now,” Nicholas told his sister as he messed with her hair.

“Well let’s head into the house, I have ordered some tea for us already,” Elizabeth told her family as she walked into the house followed by everyone else.

********

“I’m glad Elizabeth did not protest in me taking you out today.” Nicholas told Julia as they walked the busy streets of London. “You are becoming a beautiful woman Julia,” he smiled to her.

“Well apparently you are handsome too, if Miss Caroline is allowing you to court her,” she giggled to her brother.

“Yes…I am in love Julia. Miss Caroline is a very sophisticated and humble young lady with a great deal connections, my father will be thrilled I am sure. How is father by the way and mother of course?”

“They were quite sad to see me go but, they are good in health,” Julia told him. “So when will you take me to see Miss Caroline?”

“Soon, she has invited you, Elizabeth, Howard and me for brunch. Well actually it was Lady Denise McLean who invited us; she is quite a sweet lady. Unique actually she is always bragging about both Miss Caroline and Alexander. She is quite sad though because Mr. Alexander is again in Paris.”

“In Paris he seems to like France a lot,” Julia told her brother trying not to sound disappointed with what she had just heard.

Nicholas laughed, “Well actually Lady McLean says he interested in some young lady. Lady Victoria Pier, she says she is the handsomest lady in all Paris. I could not agree since I have not seen her and I happen to think that title belongs to Caroline and you my dear sister. So I would not be surprised if our friend Alexander comes back married to Miss Pier.”

“I guess not,” Julia said even though in heart she felt pain. It was her fault though she had declined him when he had asked her. Of course he had to have moved on, to that certain Miss Pier. Now she was not so sure she wanted to stay in London for so long…maybe now her fathers deal with Mr. Lucas sounded about right?