- Text Size +
Julia opened her eyes and closed them quick with a sharp pain she had. Her head was pounding and all she could do is moan, “Eliza?” she managed to say.

“She’s not here,” Alexander told her as he made his way to her. “How do you feel?” he asked in a concerned tone as he took a seat on the large bed.

“What happened?” Julia asked him as she stared at him. Why was he here?

“She is eating something she has been by your side since you fell,” he told her as he gave her a weak smile. “Your brother Nicholas has been here too,” he told her remembering how much the two were; very close.

“How long have I been here?” she asked him finally adjusting her eyes so she could see him a little clearer. He was handsome, that is all she could think of as she waited for his answer.

“Three days…the doctor told us it was a harsh fall and we were lucky all you got was a concussion. As well as a dislocated shoulder, does your head hurt?” he asked her staring at her intently. She was so mesmerizing and even ill she looked lively, her natural rose lips very tempting.

“A little, but I will manage…how horrible now you think of me ungainly.” She told him as she looked at her bandaged arm, “is it back in its place?”

“I could never think of you in such way, Miss Julia,” he told her as he dared to touch her slim hand. “about your shoulder it was put back in place right after your fall, one of our servants put it back in,” he told her sympathetically.

She sighed and turned her head trying to ignore the look he gave her and feeling she got from his light touch on her hand. “I do apologize for imposing on you and your family like this; I will make sure father pays you for allowing me to be here. Do you think I can go home soon?” she asked turning back to face him.

He felt his heart stop at her comment, “You are not imposing and I do not need anything it was my pleasure to have you here. Now Miss Julia if you excuse me I will go tell Elizabeth you are awake. When the doctor comes you can ask him if you are ready to be moved.” Without another word he left her.

Julia sighed as she was left alone why had she acted so cold toward him? When deep inside she was intrigued by him…

********

“Alexander wait,” Caroline told her brother as she caught up to him. “Are you alright?”

“I am fine sister, I just remembered I have some errands to tend to in town, I will be back later now go see Julia she will be happy to see you there,” he smiled weakly to his sister. He was sure she had not believed him but at that moment he did not want to share how much his heart hurt. Why could not just forget her?

“She likes you I can feel it…just be patient.” Caroline told her brother.

“I am fine Caroline…and whether she likes me or not I will go on. So maybe Miss Pier is a good choice mother will be elated for sure,” he told her as he sighed. “I must go, I will see you later.”

“Anyone is better than Miss Pier,” she whispered as she saw him walk away.

********

“I have sent both Nicholas and Howard word about you finally being awake,” Elizabeth told her little sister. “Are you sure you are feeling better?” she asked as she touched her sister’s forehead for any signs of fever.

“Yes I am fine sister,” Julia told her sister, “can I ask you something Elizabeth?”

“Of course anything Julia,” Elizabeth answered as she took a seat next to her.

“How does it feel to be in love?” Julia asked Elizabeth as she took her sister’s hand into her good hand.

Elizabeth smiled at her sister curiously… “It is a wonderful feeling…you have this sort of feeling like butterflies live in your stomach every time you see that person, in my case Howard.” She sighed remembering the first day it had hit her that she was falling in love with Howard. “You know you can always count on me Julia.”

“I know I was just wondering that is all…” Julia said giving her a smile. “This headache is still pretty persistent though,” Julia said trying to change the conversation.

“Julia how are you feeling?” asked Nicholas as he walked into the room followed by Howard.

“Nicholas,” Julia said in surprise as her brother walked in with flowers in hand. “I am better and I am awake,” she told him as she signaled for him to come to her.

“I am glad you are better cousin Julia you had us all scared, but thank god you are alright. I am glad Nicholas opted for not notifying your father after all he wanted to wait for your response to the medicine Doctor Eyre gave you.” Howard spoke as he also walked closer to her bed.

“I am happy to see you all,” Julia said as she took the flowers her brother had brought her. “Can I talk to you alone Nicholas?” she finally asked her brother.

“Oh, I guess we should leave.” Howard told his wife as he stood beside her.

“Good idea cousin, Elizabeth you need to rest I will stay here with Julia till later today. Go on and go home take a nap or something.” Nicholas told his sister as he winked at Julia. He liked this idea because it meant he would see Caroline as well.

“Fine but make sure to keep me posted on what Doctor Eyre says when he comes to check on her later today.” Elizabeth said a little hesitant in leaving.

“I will I promise,” Nicholas told her as he and Julia watched Howard struggle to get Elizabeth to leave with him.

“I want to home,” Julia said after the coast was clear. “I do not want to be here, take me home or to Eliza’s home.” She sighed heavily as she felt her brother’s worried stare.

“Is something wrong? Are they treating badly?” he asked in concern.

“No, they are very hospitable but…I am afraid of myself Nicholas.” She told him in an almost whisper. “I do not know if I should even tell you.”

“Well that my dear sister is your choice but I do hope you know that I am here for you for anything. I trust you and I hope you trust me.” he told her wiping away the single tear that came down her cheek.

“I trust you…but, I do not know if I can say it. I think I am falling love.” She told him and looked away afraid of Nicholas reaction to her words.

Nicholas swallowed hard and thought carefully of whom she could be falling for and it hit him. Of course he had seen the way they talked when he was at Bayshore and the many times he had caught Mr. McLean stare at his sister as she played the piano forte. That look, the same stare he had when he saw Miss Caroline, “The question is does he feel the same,” he asked as he tried to not sound overprotective of her younger sister.