- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This was for a challenge and again I took it down but here it is again.. enjoy.
Author's Chapter Notes:
This was for a challenge and again I took it down but here it is again.. enjoy.
“What are you laughing at Nick?” Brian interrupted as he saw him laughing to himself. “I want to laugh too.”

Nick smirked and looked back at him and the other two men staring at him. “I was remembering the last time I decided to take a road trip and Kevin thought he needed to come with me, so that I could make to New York in time.” he busted in laughter again.

“Oh yeah I remember that,” Howie said rolling his eyes.

“That is by far one of my favorite road trips ever,” Nick commented as he remembered it clearly.

*****Three years earlier******

“I already made up my mind!” Nick said to the four wondering faces staring at him. “I want to do this for me…”

“Nick you seriously have lost it. Are you crazy or what?” Kevin said annoyance clear in his voice.

“He’s never been sane to me,” AJ commented as he rolled his eyes.

“I’ll leave tomorrow that way I will enough time to sight see a little.” Nick said not allowing anyone to ruin his plan.

“No,” Kevin said firmly. “Its too dangerous Nick you are known worldwide!! Besides you get sidetracked very easily.”

“I do not!” He retorted. “Besides I am not asking for your permission I am doing this and its final see you all in New York.” He walked out of the meeting room leaving his band mates in loss of words.

******

Nick looked at his two luggage bags proud; he had managed to only pack the essentials. He was interrupted by the doorbell, “Coming,” he yelled as he ran to the door.

“Let’s go,” Kevin said with his luggage bag in hand.

Nick looked him confused, “What do you mean?”

“I am not going to let you go alone, god knows what can happen to you. So come I don’t have all day… I had a lot of things arranged to make sure I could go.” Kevin said rolling his eyes… he didn’t want to admit he was a little excited about the road trip.

Thirty minutes later they were loading the rented Chevy Tahoe, “I can’t believe your actually coming with me… You’re going to have the best time ever.” Nick said opening the driver’s side door.

“Ahh…” Kevin said stopping him from going in. “I’m driving here once we are out of the city area then maybe I will think about letting you drive,” He said taking the keys away from Nick.

*******

“Are you sure we are going the right way?” Kevin asked in annoyance as they drove through the state of Arizona.

“Positive,” Nick said as he took a bite from a twizzler. “My turn to listen to something,” he said with his mouth full putting in his favorite CD.

“So how much longer to reach Oklahoma?” Kevin yelled so Nick could hear with the loud music.

“Another three hours. I can drive if you want…” Nick said as he looked at the map in his hands.

“No not yet…when we reach the boarder line,” Kevin said as he lowered the volume.

*******

Three hours later Nick had taken control of the wheel and couldn’t hide his excitement. Kevin was snoozing in the passenger’s seat, “I have the need for speed,” Nick said knowing well that Kevin was not waking up anytime soon.

He was in search of the Indian Reservation he had read about. He had planned out a couple of stops on the way and they were doing well in time.

Two hours later he was exiting the highway and into a dirt road that lead to his objective. He tossed Kevin a twizzler to wake him but Kevin only stirred. “Man you’re a heavy sleeper…” he said out loud but it was like he hadn't spoken to anyone at all.

“Yes we are here,” He finally said as he saw the big billboard announcing the Reservation. He stepped on the gas a little more ready to explore and maybe by a souvenir.

He didn’t notice the hole in the road till it was too late the car jerked, jumped and almost titled as Nick tried to avoid the hole.

“What the…” Kevin said finally waking up.

By the Nick had already stopped the car. “Sorry I didn’t see the hole…I think we’re good though you ok?”

“Where the hell are we?” Kevin asked as he saw the road and the tall trees the covered both sides the road.

“Oh we are going here,” Nick said giving him a brochure of the Indian reservation. “I told you I was making stops.” Nick smiled at Kevin’s angered expression and tried to turn the SUV back up. “What the?” he asked he continued to try and turn the car on.

“Great,” Kevin said opening the door. “Open the hood,” he told Nick.

******

“Ya’ll aren’t from here are ya’ll?” the chubby man named Rusty asked both Nick and Kevin as they rode inside the towing truck. “I believe the closest Avis is a good twenty miles, it gonna cost you. I am the only towing truck available in this whole area.”

“We will pay you well I can assure you,” Kevin said as he gritted his teeth giving Nick a deadly look.

Nick just sighed as he tried to tune out whatever the old radio was playing it was positively horrible. “So do you think its just better to fix the axle and whatever else you said was ruined?” Nick asked the man ignoring Kevin’s glare.

“I don’t think it will work and it can take up to a week to get fixed… but it’s your choice.”

“Just take us to Avis and maybe could you stop somewhere so we can grab a bite to eat?” Kevin said.

“Sure no problem,” Rusty said cranking up the volume of his old towing truck.

*******

Several hours later Nick and Kevin waited patiently as the rep at Avis searched for a car. “I’m afraid we don’t have an SUV available Mr. Richardson… the only we have available for today is a 06 Volkswagen Beetle its ready to be driven.”

“A what?” Kevin asked baffled.

“When will you have another car available?” Nick asked also not liking the idea of driving a beetle.

“Well sir we usually don’t have a big selection here and so our good cars have been taken for this week being that it is the beginning of summer. Many families go out of town you know, I’d say by Friday we an have an SUV ready for you or a much more comfortable car.”

“We can’t wait that long we have to be in New York by Saturday!” Kevin said staring at Nick. “Screw we’ll take,” He sighed smiling a little knowing this made Nick a little angry.

“No, no way Kevin…are you serious?” Nick asked.

“Yes I am serious, now lets go get our bags so we can head back to the highway. Whose fault is it that we had to get another car?” He asked Nick.

A few minutes later they were walking to the car but Nick stopped dead in his tracks. “Great it had to be powder pink, not black or even red but Pink.”

“Just shut up and get in,” Kevin said not wanting to say how much he was hating this road trip.

*******

“I need a restroom break… you have to stop for that,” Nick said in annoyance as they drove through Tennessee. Kevin had kept his word and not made anymore stops since the incident only for gas and bathroom breaks. “I still can’t believe let those fans take a picture of us in this.”

“Well its your fault,” Kevin said as he exited the next exit. He sighed as he heard his phone ring. “What?” he answered annoyed.

“well, well I see your enjoying the trip,” AJ said trying to stiffen his laugh.

“What do you want AJ?” Kevin asked.

“I was just checking where you two were? What state?” AJ asked.

“We are about to leave Tennessee,” Kevin said as he watched Nick head into the gas station store.

“That’s good… Howie and me leave tomorrow night to New York. You keep enjoying the trip and by the way love the car you two are driving.” AJ said not being able to hold his laugh anymore. “We saw the picture… it’s been posted on many websites by the fans.”

“You know what I have to go…” Kevin said frustrated and hung up. “That’s we are stopping to change cars the guys know about it!” he told Nick as he came back.

“See we’ve should’ve done that long time ago like I had suggested.” Nick said.

“I was trying to teach you a lesson Nick,” Kevin said as he started the car.

*******

Finally in Kentucky they were able to get a nice SUV and after swearing not to get off the freeway Kevin let Nick drive. “I think we will make it just I time,” Nick said as they exited the diner they had just eaten at.

“I can’t wait to get to my hotel and sleep. By the way next time you get a stupid idea like this I will personally handcuff you to my arm and force you to do what we normally do board a plane!” Kevin said as he got into the car.

******

A day in half later they were parking at the grand Plaza hotel in New York City. “Yes finally,” Kevin said as he saw the entrance to the lobby.

“You have to admit we had fun and Rusty was a pretty nice fellow.” Nick said teasingly.

*******

*****End of memory******

“I have to admit even though Kevin hated me through most of the trip after Oklahoma we had the best time ever.” Nick smiled as he got his luggage. “So are you all ready?”

“Wait I think I should drive…” Brian said taking the keys away from Nick. “I don’t want to end up in a beetle in the middle of no where.”

“What we are only going to San Francisco a few hours away I can manage.” Nick said trying to take the keys back.

“No!” was the echo that came from all the other three men.