- Text Size +
“Good morning,” said AJ as he saw Rose up and around the kitchen.

“Good morning,” she told him as she handed him a glass of orange juice. “So today is a big day isn’t it. I mean we will be leaving on tour, are you nervous?”

“No this normal to me,” he said as he put his glass down on the kitchen counter. “I have to go, I told Sarah I would help her pack. I will arrange a cab to come pick you up and take you to the airport, you have everything ready right?”

“Well, yeah I am just waiting on the stylist. Uh, AJ I actually made plans with Nick. He is going to pick me up and I will ride with him to the airport. So you don’t have to worry about getting me a cab.” She smiled at him as she spread the jelly on the bread.

“Oh, ok well then it’s settled, I will see you at the airport then. Josie my stylist will be here in exactly an hour, I told her she had to be here early. She knows you are leaving with us on tour. Oh, and be careful she’s quite fond of women if you know what I mean.” He raised his eyebrows at her and with that he left laughing lightly at the startled look on Rose.

*********

She waited patiently for Nick; he told her he was on his way. She looked at herself on the mirror again, she saw someone so different to what she knew. Josie was truly a good stylist; she made her feel more confident about her new life post Rony and her father. She was in her own little world thinking about her life, when she heard the doorbell. She sighed and went to get the door.

He had been outside the door for over five minutes just trying to figure out how he would greet her. Finally he had rang the doorbell and patiently waited for her to open. She had called him a few days ago asking him how she could arrange to ride along with management instead of AJ on tour.

She had explained to him that Sarah was going to be going on tour with AJ for a few weeks and she didn’t want to be the third wheel. He was going to help her out and talk to Johnny about it, but he instead told her she could ride with him in his bus. She did sound hesitant at first but she finally had agreed. He heard the door open and there stood Rose smiling. She looked hot, she had a new look and it fit her. “Wow, you look good,” he finally got out from his mouth.

“Thanks I was a little concerned about, it is very different to what I get.” She smiled at him and shook his hand. “So, how are you?”

“Good, I am ready to go on tour. I have missed this part of my career. And then we get to start our tour in my hometown even better!” he said as he went into the house.

She giggled at his excitement for this tour. “I am glad you’re so excited, would you like something to drink?”

“Nah, we actually should get going.” He told her as he stared at the two suitcases that stood right by the door.

“Oh, ok well let’s go.” She grabbed a smaller bag and grabbed one of her suitcases in the other hand. “Would you help me with the other suitcase please?”

“No problem,” he said and got the one suitcase, he then took the one she had away from her. He carried both suitcases out to the car.

She made sure everything was off in the house and walked out locking the door as she walked out. This was going to be a fun job right? She hoped so; she sighed and hopped in the car.

*******

“So is Nick here already?” AJ asked as he and Sarah walked to the waiting area where Brian and Howie already sat.

“No, not yet,” said Howie as he turned to face his friend. He winked at his friend and then started to laugh with Brian as they figured out what had happened and why they had gotten there late.

“Hey, I’m not complaining,” he raised his eyebrows at his friends. As he realized that they had put one on one together on his tardiness.

“Complaining about what?” she asked as she stood beside AJ. Sarah pretended to not understand but lately she couldn’t keep him off her, but she too wasn’t complaining. She was happy again, she loved him. She winked at her boyfriend as she intertwined her hand in his.

Brian cleared his throat and spoke, “Nothing, its just tour stuff that’s all.” God he wished his wife could be on tour with him. He was going to miss her and his son; the good thing was they would join him in a few weeks. He smiled at the couple, he was glad AJ got another opportunity with Sarah she was a great gal.

Howie stared at her carefully; something told him she was back just to make him pay for what he had done to her. She was good though, apparently he was the only one who saw it that way. God, he hoped it was just him but, something told him to keep an eye on Sarah though. She looked genuine but, her eyes deep inside her eyes he saw revenge…he quickly moved his stare to Nick who was walking in with a woman by his side, a good looking woman to be exact.

******

She squeezed her eyes shut to the point where she felt pain, she hated the lift off. She hated planes but, it was not like she couldn’t handle it though. She was used to flying all the time, when she was younger she would always go to Paris with her mother for the summer. Italy in Christmas and she loved those days, the days when her father was a normal one. When all he cared was to make his wife happy, her father, she wondered what he was doing at that exact moment.

She loved her father, but he had morphed into a greedy old man. He had lost his warmth and love for what other people felt including her. He had come so low, that he had disowned his only daughter, her. She took a deep breath and tried to think of something more pleasant, like her childhood. She still didn’t want to open her eyes just yet, she would just not yet.

He watched her from the corner of his eye, she had her eyes shut and looked like she wasn’t enjoying her flight. Man Josie had done an excellent job, Rose looked hot, not that she wasn’t before. Was Nick pursuing her? Not that it mattered; it would actually be cool right? He was a great guy for her, especially with all that she had been through; she needed to get over Rony and all the issues with her father.

He wanted to tell her how good she looked, but she had been so distant from him at the airport. It almost felt like she was avoiding him? Why? He felt a familiar touch on his leg and turned to face a happy Sarah sitting right beside him. He would have to talk to her; maybe he accidentally had hurt her feelings. He turned his attention to his woman, yeah his beautiful woman.

She felt his stare on her; she knew she was a little cold with him. But, she had to in order to survive this chaos that she had gotten herself into. She was falling for AJ, even though all he had offered her was friendship. She didn’t know if it was because he was the only she had known for two months when she didn’t know who she was. She felt attached to him and she knew it was not right he was happily in love and she? She had no one; Rony had left her to fend for herself.

He was just different; he was like Rony in a way. She had finally opened her eyes and was much more confidant, she just had to stay busy thinking of things. God she hoped that when she told him she would be riding with Nick instead of him and Sarah he didn’t ask to much details. She didn’t want to tell him anymore lies. She looked at the front row and there was Nick peacefully asleep, his lips were in a smile. She smiled at him and wondered what he was dreaming.

Nick was such a goof ball, but she had to admit she liked him he was a great friend. She knew she was going to have a blast with him; he was not the kind to be bored. She needed this wild, crazy, and impulsive infusion from him, she needed to get all her pain away. Erase all the events from the past and just keep the beautiful memory of Rony her husband.

She touched the ring on her left hand, it was simple and small but it meant the world to her. Rony had bought it with his hard owned money; she smiled as she remembered that day when they arrived in Las Vegas. “I will get you a bigger one; with the most beautiful diamond I can find I promise you that!” She didn’t need a bigger diamond she wanted him back. She wanted to wake up and find herself in Rony’s hands. She realized she was crying when she felt a teardrop on her hand. She wiped her eyes and tried to think of something happier.

******

He looked closer and heard her steady breathing. He smiled at the beauty beside him, but he had to talk to Rose so after he double checked that she was asleep he stood up. He sat beside her, put his hand over hers. She was intently looking at the floor, probably deep in her thoughts. “A penny for your thoughts,” he said as he smiled at her.

She had seen him stand up from the corner of her eye; she had just hoped it was because he was going to the men’s room. But, she didn’t have such luck he sat right beside her, putting his hand on top of hers. She smiled as she heard him talk. “Nah, I don’t think so they are worth much more than that.” She switched her body in the seat to face him and so cautiously moved her hand away from his.

“I have money so tell me the price.” He said as he stared at her, he knew she had been crying.

“Sorry but my thoughts are not for sale,” she smiled at him and then she cleared her throat. “But, I do have something to tell you. I have decided to ride with Nick for now; I know you and Sarah need your space. I already spoke to him and he is ok with it. I just don’t want to feel guilty for not letting you enjoy the time you have free with Sarah. I mean for god sakes I have found out it is rare to find such time.” She finally took a breath; she had to say it all fast so she wouldn’t chicken out.

What? He was in loss of words; she was going to be in the same bus with Nick. He felt mad and felt betrayed somehow. She was his Rose, he had found her not Nick. But, he knew it was for the best that she did, she was right she was going to be the third wheel if she did stay with him. He just made a mental note to speak to his buddy Nick later. She just wasn’t ready for any romancing. “Hey, I totally understand its cool.” He smiled at her and gave a warm hug.

She returned the hug and felt better somewhat anyway. He was so nice to her and she had no right in ruining his dream, which was Sarah. She let go of him and pulled herself away gently, “I knew you would understand, AJ. Ever since the first day I met you back in the hospital, I was so hysterical and scared because I didn’t know who I was. But, you knew the exact words to say that I for a second felt safe.” She gave his hand a squeeze, as she stared at him.

His eyes were so warm and said so much, he sincerely did care for her. She just wished she could see in them a different kind of care, a romantically one. She couldn’t help the feeling she got when she saw his lips, they were so tempting and she wanted to so badly kiss them. She quickly kissed him on the cheek and smiled at him, “thanks for everything AJ, I don’t know how I am ever going to pay you back for it all. You are my guardian angel, you saved my life.” She stood up, excused herself and ran to the restroom. Panting for air she closed the door to the small restroom, and quickly splashed water onto her face.

He felt her soft lips on his face and he couldn’t help the feeling he was having. It was something different from anything he ever felt. There he was sitting alone just holding to the feeling he had after that sincere and sweet kiss on his cheek. He couldn’t stop his head from thinking, how it would have felt had she kissed him on the lips. No, she would never do that she was not like that, besides he was just her friend. He loved Sarah anyway; yeah he was just caught off guard that’s all. He got up and walked back to his chair by Sarah.