- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Four

I was wrong about things not going well. At the last moment, Nick said he needed to lie down. Once he fell onto the couch and his head hit the pillow, he was down for the count.

“We’ll just say he wasn’t feeling well,” Brian said. “If they show a shot from the green room everyone’s going to see that cast and him snoring away. This will work,” he said.

“I can stay behind and babysit,” I suggested.

“No, look,” Howie said, pointing at Nick. “He’s completely knocked out. Come with us. Get a shot of us with Oprah for the website.”

I reluctantly left sleeping beauty in the green room and followed the guys, Leigh, baby James, and Rochelle to the studio, camera in hand.

Oprah met us behind the set. I was star struck and smiled in delight as she signed a picture for my mom. Brian explained why Nick wasn’t going to be able to come out. She laughed.

“Alright, then. I’ll see you three in a minute,” she said walking out to greet the audience. A cheer rose up.

Moments later the guys were introduced and headed out to the iconic couch. The interview was standard; questions about the tour, funny stories, etc. Brian gave an amazingly amusing description of Nick breaking his hand. I watched every girl’s face when he mentioned that Nick was collapsed on the couch in the green room, his hand in a cast. They all looked like they wanted to throw on a nurse’s cap and give him some one-on-one attention. I laughed. Somehow the reality was far less glamorous than what all those girls were imagining. I had been right where they were just months ago. I knew what was going through their minds.

After a commercial break, Oprah switched the topic to their personal lives. Howie, always the businessman, mentioned the family effort on the Masquerade video. Brian showed some personal family pictures and talked in depth about Baylee’s love of karate. AJ brought Rochelle out and they discussed their wedding without giving away even a hint about the date. Finally, Howie led Leigh and baby James out. The audience erupted in “awww’s.” Just like a future star should, James began waving, a grin identical to Howie’s lighting up his small face.

“And can you guys dish on what’s going on with Nick’s personal life?” Oprah said. “I have a feeling a few girls in the audience would like to know.”

Squeals ensued.

“Nick, is and always will be Nick,” Brian said. “He loves a gorgeous woman.”

Brian’s statement sounded completely generalized, but I heard a slight stress on the word a, as in one rather than a as in any gorgeous woman. I smiled.

They stopped for another commercial. The guys headed over to the area set up for their performance and did a quick pitch exercise. I thought they were going to perform Bigger; but recognized Masquerade in seconds. Considering how many times I had heard it in the past week, I would have been ashamed if I didn’t recognize it.

Coming back from break, Oprah introduced the song and I became absorbed. I was so oblivious that halfway through I didn’t see Nick walk right past me towards the stage. The crowd started screaming and my mouth fell open. I saw Howie’s eyes widen, but to his credit he kept right on key. Nick gave an enthusiastic wave to the audience. I slapped my face into my open palm.

“What’s up Oprah?!” Nick screamed into Brian’s microphone. Brian tried to pull it away, but Nick grabbed it right from his hand.

“I need ya babyyyyyyyyy”

Brian grabbed the microphone back and took over Nick’s part. Nick continued to entertain the crowd by waltzing with AJ.

I thanked God when the song was over. Nick took a deep bow and held up his hand.

“Who wants to sign my cast?”

The girls went wild. Howie dragged Nick backstage.

“Let’s give it up for the Backstreet Boys!” Oprah said in an attempt to provide a distraction. She began applauding and the audience joined in.

So much for things going well.

--------------------------------

“Oprah signed my cast,” Nick announced on the ride back to the hotel. He was chowing down on a Big Mac meal. I was hoping the food would help to dilute whatever was still coursing through his veins.

“That’s really cool,” I said.

“I can’t believe you guys just left me sleeping,” Nick complained, folding a fry and eating it in one bite.

“Nick, you’re high,” Howie said.

“Nu-uh.”

“The doctor gave you pain meds for your hand,” I reminded him.

“Oh yeah,” Nick picked a pickle off his sandwich and held it out to me. “Pickle?”

I shook my head.

“At least he’s not mean on the stuff,” Brian said, trying to be helpful. “He’s kind of cute. Like a puppy.”

Brian reached over and petted the top of Nick’s head. I saw Nick’s eyes shoot upward in confusion.

We pulled up to the hotel. Nick hopped out of the van still carrying his fast food bag. I handed Brian his drink.

“Can you help him into his bus?” I said. “I’ll go round up his luggage and my luggage and then I’ll take over.”

Brian looked at Nick warily, but nodded.

I headed inside the hotel with Howie, Leigh, AJ, and Rochelle. The dancers had already checked out and were waiting for us to hit the road. I quickly got my bag. Throwing a few loose articles of Nick’s clothing back into his duffel, I dragged everything downstairs.

By the time I got the bags loaded into the baggage compartment of Nick’s bus and then dragged both of our duffel bags aboard I was exhausted. I set the bags down with a grunt.

“That was fast,” Brian said. Nick and Brian were sitting on the floor, playing Mario Kart.

“I tried,” I said. “You’re free to go,” I said. Brian did a hard turn with his wheel.

“Nick wanted to play Mario Kart,” he explained. I looked over at Nick. He was concentrating on the game so hard that his tongue was sticking out of his mouth.

“Is that a good idea?” I said. “With as loopy as he is I don’t want the game to give him a seizure.

Brian’s Donkey Kong flew across the finish line far ahead of Nick’s Princess Peach. He tossed down his wheel.

“That’s alright. I won anyhow.”

“I want a rematch,” Nick said, scowling.

“Maybe later,” Brian said. “I gotta get my stuff.”

Giving me a gentle squeeze on the shoulder, Brian bounced out of the bus.

“Have fun babysitting!” he called over his shoulder. I stuck out my tongue and closed the bus doors.

“Wanna play?” Nick said. I shook my head.

“Wanna do something else?” he said, raising his eyebrows suggestively. I shook my head.

“I’m going to work on some stuff for the website,” I said, placing my equipment case on the table. “Why don’t you go take a nap?”

“I’m not tired,” Nick complained. “I slept through Oprah, remember?”

Not all of it, I thought.

“Then come watch me work,” I suggested, patting the couch cushion next to me.

Turning off the Wii, he came and sat beside me. For a little while he watched me work.

“Hey Livvy?” he finally said.

“What Nick?” I said quietly.

“You’d make a real good mom.”

I turned to look at him. He smiled at me; Brian was right, he looked like a puppy. Tears sprang to my eyes.

“Why do you say that?”

“Because you’re taking real good care of me.”

With that he laid down, resting his head in my lap. With a sad sigh, I ran the fingers of my left hand through his hair while I continued to work using my right. After awhile I looked down to check on him.

He was fast asleep.