- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty

“I don’t know about this AJ,” I said uncertainly.

“What could go wrong?”

I stared at myself in the mirror. AJ had given me clothes to put on. I was standing in a super-short leather mini skirt and what he called a shirt. It was as small as a handkerchief. I was afraid that with one sneeze the world would see all my assets.

“Who wears this kind of thing?” I said, tugging on the hem of the skirt.

“Those are Rochelle’s,” AJ said. It figured. Leave it to AJ to give a normal curvy girl model’s clothes to wear.

“AJ…”

“Listen, you won’t be on stage long,” AJ explained. “Just long enough to wheel this big box out on stage.” He pointed to a big silver box with a red bow on top.

The plan was that during PDA, AJ would sneak backstage and into the box. I would wheel it out, acting like I was surprising Nick. (sexy outfit and all). When Nick came over to open the box, AJ would spring out. After that, I didn’t know what was going to happen. AJ said I would get information on a need to know basis and that was all I needed to know.

“You promise you’re not going to do anything to break his other hand?” I asked.

“Scouts honor,” AJ said with a smile.

“Were you ever a Boy Scout?” I asked, arching an eyebrow.

“Not exactly,” he admitted. I gave him a look. He feigned an innocent expression.

“You scare me, McLean,” I said. I looked at myself in the mirror once more. “I’m going to get changed.”

“But, we’re still on, right?” AJ said. I nodded.

AJ left and I quickly changed back into my tank top and jeans. I walked out of the bathroom and stashed my camera where I could reach it quickly. I wanted to at least capture part of the prank on film. I was so intent on my little hidey-hole that I didn’t hear Nick sneak up on me.

“What’s going on?” Nick asked. I jumped.

“Nothing!” I said, perhaps a little too quickly. He tilted his head. I gave him the biggest smile I could muster.

“So, Andrea told me we have no concert in Vegas,” I said, changing the subject. Nick shook his head.

“Nope. Every time we go on our U.S. tour we always take a few days to party it up in Vegas.” Nick tugged at my ponytail. “I’m especially looking forward to it this year.”

“Then I am too,” I said.

“There’s my Livvy!”

Without warning, I was picked up from behind. I let out a shriek. When my feet touched the ground I whirled around.

Brian stood there flexing; he had on the Livvy Loves Brian t-shirt again.

“Let it go Bri,” I said laughing. “Or I’m going to tell your wife.”

He just smirked. Nick punched his shoulder before heading onstage. With a wink, Brian took off the shirt right in front of me. He wore a tank top underneath.

“I’m going to frame this for Nick,” Brian explained, holding it up. “That way he can have this shirt forever.”

I rolled my eyes and walked out with Brian for the last sound check before a welcomed break.

--------------------------

That evening the temperature had, if anything, gotten even warmer. I shot some photos as they opened with Everybody. Nick found me kneeling down on the left hand side of the stage. He walked over and stood right in front of me, his good hand sliding down his stomach as he sang “Am I sexual?” I nodded, my eyes mentally undressing him. He gave a pelvic thrust, then ran off to the other end of the stage.

When We’ve Got it Goin’ On began, I slipped backstage. Quickly I changed into the skirt and top. I was just finishing shifting everything to cover my lady bits when AJ slipped backstage. PDA was just beginning.

“Ready?” he said. I nodded.

“As ready as I’m going to be.”

He climbed into the box; I affixed the lid. Taking a deep breath, I wheeled the box out towards the stage. I tried to ignore the fact that thousands of eyes were on my every move. I also tried not to think about my ass practically hanging out of the skirt.

Even though it was hot outside, the venue was nice and cool. I actually shivered slightly, noting a rush of air dance up my legs. Saying a quick prayer that the wardrobe malfunction Gods were taking the night off, I wheeled the box past Brian and to the middle of the stage.

Nick had his back to me; even when he turned it took him a moment to register my presence. His eyes widened, but he kept singing. Remembering AJ’s tips on “being sexy,” I smiled, putting my hand on my hip. I felt my bare skin; my mid-drift was exposed. I pretty much felt naked. AJ owed me big time. I crooked my finger, making a “c’mere” motion and pointed to the box.

He finished his part, pointed to himself and mouthed “for me?”

I nodded. He moved with the beat in my direction, his eyes raking over my entire body. I felt my stomach clench in anticipation.

When Nick reached me, he touched the box with his hand. I gave him a wink. His hand slipped under the lid; in a second he flipped it aside. While he was preoccupied, I hurried as fast as I could backstage to grab my camera. I turned around quickly, pressing the on button.

It all seemed to happen in slow motion; Nick leaned over, looking into the box. At the same moment AJ stood up. His arms were loaded down with water balloons.

“Oh shit,” Nick said, backing up quickly. His exclamation was piped through his microphone; the whole audience heard it loud and clear.

AJ was like a machine. He began pelting Nick with balloons as fast as he could. The first one bounced off him; Nick laughed. The second one hit its target perfectly; Nick’s coat was completely soaked. Nick tugged it off, ducking behind Howie. His smile slid off his face as he went into combat mode.

Meanwhile, Howie was trying desperately to finish the song. He sidestepped the direct trajectory of the next water balloon, leaving Nick exposed. It hit him square in the face. Nick growled in frustration; he shook his head like a dog, running towards Brian. As he sprinted across the stage, AJ hit him in the backside. Nick stumbled, running into Brian. They fell down like bowling pins.

By the time the song was completely over, the stage was covered in water. Nick was soaked; the girls in the audience were about ready to faint at the sight of his clothes clinging to him in all the right places.

While the crew went to work quickly cleaning the floor, Nick ran off stage. He spotted me right away. I had the camera still rolling; my shoulders shaking as I tried to control my laughter.

“You betrayed me,” he said. I could tell he wasn’t mad. He shook his head in my direction, pelting me with water. I jumped back.

“I couldn’t resist,” I said smiling. Nick quickly stripped down to his boxers, throwing on another set of clothes that someone, most likely AJ, had laid out in anticipation of the attack.

“I’ll forgive you on one condition,” he said, looking my way as he zipped up his jeans.

“And what is that?”

“You keep that smoking hot outfit.”

He ran his hand along my bare midriff as he ran back out to the cheers and screams of the crowd. With the lingering feeling of his fingertips on my stomach, I went to change. Before I headed back out with my camera, I smiled, tucking the clothes in my duffel.

Somehow I had the feeling they might come in handy for a future rendezvous.

---------------------------

That night I cuddled next to Nick on his couch. A big bowl of popcorn rested on Nick’s leg as Happy Gilmore played on DVD.

“So,” Nick said, tossing a kernel of popcorn and catching it midair.

“So?”

“I was talking to my brother Aaron today before the concert,” Nick said. “and he’s meeting us down in Vegas.”

I looked up at him. “Really?”

“Yup,” Nick grinned. “He’s bringing his girlfriend. I haven’t seen him in months, and besides, I want him to meet you.”

My stomach did a flip flop.

“And why’s that?” I asked, biting my lip.

“Because,” he said, tugging playfully at my hair. “I’m kinda hoping that you’ll be around awhile, and I want my family to get to know you.”

I looked at him surprised. Nick Carter, the man who shied away from commitment, was actually implying what sounded like a long term relationship.

“And what do you know about me, Mr. Carter?” I asked demurely.

“Well,” he stretched out his legs in front of him. “I know you have a good sense of humor, that you’re smart, you like the same types of food and movies I do, and you’re one hell of a kisser.”

“Not bad,” I said with a laugh.

“What I don’t know,” he said. “is much about your family.”

“What do you want to know?”

“Everything.”

I sat up a little, taking a handful of popcorn. I tossed one in the air like Nick, it bounced off my nose. I tried again with the same result. On the third try, I placed it directly in my mouth.

“Well,” I said, after chewing thoughtfully. “I’m an only child, my parents have been married thirty years, and I have never lived in any other city than the one I was born in.”

“When I visit your parent’s house I’m not going to see Brian posters in your old room, right?” he said seriously. I laughed.

“No, it’s a computer room now,” I said. “All you’ll see is dozens of pictures of me and a ton of pictures of my mom’s dogs.” I paused. “You want to visit my parent’s house?”

Nick looked at me like the question was a no-brainer.

“Well, that would be kind of nice,” Nick said. “I’m hoping to develop this relationship. Of course, if you just want to love me and leave me…”

“No!” I said, shaking my head. “It’s just that it all seems so surreal. I’m having a hard time picturing you standing in my parent’s living room,” I explained.

“Well, I’ll admit I’ve only met the parents of two of my former girlfriends,” Nick said. “And that was under duress. But, I’ve never quite felt like this before. There’s just something about you.”

“I’m nothing special,” I said quietly. He touched my face.

“I beg to differ.” He kissed me softly, wrapping me in his arms. I moved the popcorn bowl to avoid disaster. With my head on his chest, we continued watching the movie in comfortable silence. Afterwards, in a sort of silent communication, we shuffled off to bed. My body melted into the mattress. Nick leaned over, kissing my closed eyes.

“Good night,” he whispered. I opened my eyes slightly.

“Night, Nick,” I said. I fell silent for a couple of seconds, then looked at him. “Hey Nick?”

“Yes?” he yawned, his head sunk deep into his feather pillow.

“When you said it will happen, did you mean…”

“Vegas?” he finished. I nodded. He chuckled, tucking the sheet up to my chin.

“I’m not telling.” He reached over, turning off the light. In the darkness I listened to the sound of his breathing. I kicked my leg in frustration.

“All I’ll say,” he finally said, his voice breaking through the darkness. I could almost see him grinning. “Is get plenty of rest tonight.”