- Text Size +
Chapter Sixty Eight

“Just try to relax, Liv,” Nick said.

That was easier said than done. It was August 23; the day of the CVS testing. I had to be there an hour early; the nurse had me drink a huge Big Gulp sized mug of liquid and I had to pee like crazy. Unfortunately, that wasn’t going to be happening until after the test.

Nick and I sat in the office; even he was getting a little antsy.

“Look at these tongs,” he said, picking up a metal instrument. He snapped them in my direction; I snickered.

“Those are forceps.”

“What?”

“The doctor uses them to help ease the baby out during delivery.”

“I don’t want our baby pulled out like a salad!”

Dr. Tresher chose that moment to walk in. Nick dropped the forceps on the ground.

She laughed.

“Having fun Nick?”

He blushed as he bent down to pick them up. “Just getting a lesson.”

“Oh, that’s nothing. Watch a couple delivery videos. Now that’s a lesson.”

He gave her a panicked look. I laughed. She sat down and opened my chart.

“So now that Nick’s lightened the mood, let’s get down to business. It looks like you’ve gained the perfect amount of weight since the last time I saw you. Eating better?”

I smiled. “A friend suggested ginger tea.”

The doctor smiled. “Ah, nature’s little miracle drink. It doesn’t work for all women, but I’m glad to hear it’s helping you. Shall we get you prepped for an ultrasound? I want to double check how far along you are and make sure we’re good to go today.”

I watched her prepare a tray. She disappeared from my line of sight; I felt the cold gel hit my stomach. I jumped.

“Sorry, it’s cold,” she explained. Nick grabbed my hand, I looked up at him. He smiled comfortingly.

“Now, I received the paperwork from your ER visit as well,” she said as she began to run the wand over my belly. “I bet that gave you a scare.”

Nick snorted. “That’s an understatement.”

I stared at the blip on the screen. Nick squinted.

“I still can’t make out anything,” he complained.

Dr. Tresher laughed. “Well, the baby weighs only about a quarter of a pound right now so I think that’s completely understandable.” She signaled for her assistant. “Everything’s looking good. Shall we get on with it?”

I nodded. “Sounds good.”

The entire process took about a half hour; the actual extraction took only minutes. Nick stuck right by me, talking softly in my ear to distract me. It worked; I only felt mild discomfort.

“Alright, we’re done. You might have a few slight cramps but it shouldn’t be anything intense,” Dr Tresher said. “If you notice any bleeding, please give me a call. If we’re closed, don’t hesitate to go to the E.R.”

“And the results?” Nick asked.

“Three to five days,” she said. “Go ahead and get dressed Liv.”

She closed the door. I took a deep breath and sat up.

“You okay?” Nick asked.

I nodded. “I’m fine. It wasn’t as bad as I thought.”

I couldn’t help but think that waiting for the results was going to be much, much worse.

-------------------------------------------------

Three days later Nick and I were buried under a mound of covers when the phone rang.

“Turn off the alarm,” Nick mumbled. He rolled over.

I slapped at the nightstand. It wasn’t the alarm clock. I reached for the phone, fumbling for the Talk button.

“Hello?” I said groggily.

“Olivia?”

“Yes?”

“This is Dr. Tresher.”

I was awake. I sat up fast, brushing my hair out of my eyes.

“Oh hello, Dr. Tresher.”

Those were the magic words. Nick’s eyes flew open; I hit the speaker button on the phone.

“We have your results.”

I felt my body tense up, Nick’s arms went around me. I saw him close his eyes.

“First things first: the RH test came back absolutely fine. There’s no problem.”

I breathed a sigh of relief. “That’s great.”

“Now in case you’re wondering, the shot we gave you as a precaution shouldn’t have any ill effect either. We just wanted to air on the side of caution.”

“Okay,” I said. I bit my lip; the suspense was killing me.

“And then we have the second test.”

I felt a teardrop on my shoulder. I looked down; Nick was trying his hardest not to cry…he was failing.

“With 99.99% probability, come March…”

I held my breath.

“You and Nick are going to have a beautiful baby.”

It was my turn to tear up. “Are you serious?”

Dr. Tresher laughed. “Yes, there’s no doubt.”

Nick totally lost it; he had to get up and walk into the bathroom. I felt a large tear roll down my cheek.

“You can pick up a copy of the results at the office anytime,” she added.

I closed my eyes. “Thank you so much Dr. Tresher.”

“It’s my pleasure. We just want to keep everyone healthy and happy.”

I expressed my gratitude once more and hung up. I crossed the room to the bathroom just as Nick swung the door open.

I flew into his arms. He covered my face in kisses. By the time he sat me down again, I noticed yet another tear fall down his face. I wiped it away.

“It’s okay, dad,” I said softly.

“I love you,” he whispered. “I love you, I love you, I love you.”

I cupped his face, kissing him again.

“I love you too, Carter,” I whispered.

Now that the hard part was over; the easy part still needed to be done…

Calling Brian and Leighanne.