- Text Size +
Chapter Nine

With my ego damaged more than my roots, I got dressed. As I brushed my hair, I couldn’t help but wonder if Nick might give up and leave if I just decided to stay in the bathroom for, oh, the rest of my life.

“You okay?” he called.

“Yes!” I called back.

“You can’t stay in there the rest of your life,” he said teasingly.

Tossing down my hairbrush, I squared my shoulders. I opened the door and headed out into the bedroom.

Nick lay on my bed, arms behind his head, his ankles crossed. He sat up as I crossed the room.

“Alright,” I said, throwing my arms out. “I’m here. I’m in one piece. What did you have in mind for the day?”

“Well,” Nick said, stifling a laugh. “I was going to see if you wanted to join me on a riverboat dinner cruise that strolls up the Mississippi, but I think you might have had enough water for the day.”

“Affirmative,” I said. In the back of my mind I could already see the candlelit table and hear the soft lapping of the river water as soft romantic music played. The scene had trouble written all over it.

“Well, I guess it’s on to plan B,” Nick said, hopping off the bed.

“Which is?”

“You’ll see.”

Twenty minutes later we stood at a cell phone kiosk in the hotel.

“How’d you know my cell phone took a dive?” I asked, picking up a phone.

“Well, the last thing I heard was a watery plop,” Nick said, picking up an IPhone. “After I, uh, saw your predicament, I put two and two together.” He held out the IPhone to me. “You need one of these.”

I smiled, taking it from him. I gently placed it back on its display base. I picked up a basic flip phone.

“I think this is more my speed.”

“It doesn’t even have a keyboard. How are you going to QWERTY?”

I laughed. “I don’t need to QWERTY.”

Nick picked up the IPhone again. “Everyone needs to QWERTY. At least once daily.” He handed it over to the clerk.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m breaking your QWERTY cherry. You’re getting an IPhone.”

“I’m not accepting a phone from you.”

“You’re not,” Nick explained as the clerk started the activation. “You’re accepting a phone from Howie. He pays the bills.”

“Well then, I think I better talk to Howie,” I said, stepping away from the booth. Nick’s hand wrapped gently around my arm; he turned me back towards him. His eyes were soft and warm.

“Please?” He whispered. “Just take it?”

I sighed softly. I wanted to argue, but it was like yelling at a puppy dog. “I owe you.”

“No, you don’t.” Nick took the phone from the clerk, handing it to me with a wink. “You have no idea what good therapy you are for me.”

We walked away from the counter. Nick looked around the lobby, finally hoisting himself up on a ledge that was hidden from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the area. I slid up next to him.

“What do you mean?”

“You’re refreshing. You don’t throw yourself at me. You know how to take a joke. And you have the best smile in the world.”

I blushed.

“Plus you keep me entertained. Here give me the phone, I’ll show you the basics.”

Nick spent several minutes going over the finer aspects of the IPhone. I nodded, trying to absorb everything I possibly could. It was like a mini computer. I could handle it. At least I thought I could.

“Call me.”

“What?”

“It’s your test. Call my number.”

I took the phone. After a little bit of fumbling, I heard his phone ring. He slid it out of his pocket and held it to his ear.

“Got it?” he asked, speaking into the mouthpiece. I lowered my phone.

“I think so,” I said.

“No, you got to talk into the phone,” Nick said.

“What? That’s stupid you’re—“

Nick shook his head, pointing to the phone in my hand. Sighing, I put it to my ear.

“I got it.”

Nick smiled. “Excellent. Any other questions?”

“Just one thing…” I said, lowering the phone to stare at the screen again.

“What’s my phone number?”

-------------------------------

An hour later I sat in the gym, watching Nick and Howie, dripping in sweat, battle it out to see who could last the longest on the treadmill. Every five minutes they would set the incline steeper and increase the speed.

“This is stupid,” Howie gasped as Nick reached over and upped the controls on Howie’s machine. Nick returned to his own treadmill and did the same.

“Endurance!” Nick said. The gel holding his hair airborne was long gone. The blonde strands stuck to his forehead. The white t-shirt was transparent with perspiration, his abs clearly defined. Howie was in a similar state, but perhaps a little worse off in a soaked black tank top that I just knew was keeping all of the heat close to his body.

Not wanting to miss anything good, I set my camera on the tripod. I needed to give out my new phone number that Nick so kindly wrote down for me on a scrap of napkin. I called my mom first. After giving her my new number and explaining as vaguely as possible what happened to my old one, she filled me in on the little things that were happening back home.

“And what about you? Are you having fun, sweetheart?” she finally asked.

“I am,” I admitted. “You were right. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

“How are the Backstreet Boys?” she teased. “Do you like them as well in person as you did with them hanging on your bedroom wall?”

I laughed. “Yes. They exceed expectations.”

Mom gave a knowing click of her tongue. “Well, baby girl, enjoy yourself and call me soon.”

“I will,” I promised. “I’ve got to call Hunter with my new number. Love you.”

“Love you too, sweet pea.”

I successfully finished my first phone call. Searching through the contacts (which had taken me forever to plug in), I punched speed dial for home. I glanced at my watch; it was a little after four. He would be awake.

The phone rang twice; then I heard the line pick up.

“Hello?”

“Hunter? It’s Liv. I just wanted to call with my new
number.”

“New number? Why’d you get a new number?”

“I dropped my phone and it broke,” I said. “I had to get
a new phone.”

I waited for a response; several uncomfortable seconds of silence filled my ear.

“Was that before or after you were romping around in a dressing room with four guys?”

My eyes widened and I stifled a gasp. “What are you talking about?” Nick turned his head in my direction.
He caught my eye and frowned; he motioned to the treadmill as if asking if he should stop. I shook my head no. After hesitatingly momentarily, he resumed his run, glancing my way every now and then.

“Jess posted the video on Facebook,” Hunter said, referring to my best friend. “You didn’t tell me your job required shooting pictures of men playing around in their underwear,” he added sarcastically.

I laughed nervously. “Oh that,” I said. “I was just getting behind the scenes footage.”

“Well I think you need to stick to taking pictures of them prancing around the stage and singing their stupid has-been songs.”

“They don’t prance,” I said, my voice rising an octave. Nick turned to look at me again, I gave a little wave and turned slightly. Hunter was just getting started.

“Listen,” Hunter said angrily. “If you want to fuck around, whatever. Just don’t think

I’m going to sit here with blinders on and be made a fool of. I’m just really disappointed. I didn’t think I
married a slut.”

I sucked in a breath. Blinking back tears, I said softly. “I haven’t done anything wrong. I’m just doing my job.”

I could hear Hunter breathing heavily on the other end of the line, gearing up for another round of verbal assault.

“I love you,” I added quietly.

The breathing stopped. I heard a click and the sound of a dial tone.

“Mother---“ I growled, punching what I thought was the End button angrily. I let out a scream as Lady Gaga started blaring from the phone instead. Every head in the gym turned to glare in my direction. At the same time I saw Howie fly off the treadmill.

“AHH!”

I stood up, the phone practically shaking from the extreme noise of the music. Nick quickly pressed a button, bringing his treadmill to a stop. He looked from me to Howie; he seemed to be deciding which of us needed more help.

Tossing my phone to him, I ran to Howie. He was soaked, his chest heaved as he tried to push more air through his lungs. I looked down at him; he waved his white towel in surrender.

“I’m done,” he gasped, sitting up and dabbing his face. “I liked it better when Nick was fat.”

“Hey!” Nick said. With a punch of a button my phone settled back into pure silence. “I was never fat.”

“Fine. Pleasantly plump,” Howie rescinded. Pulling himself off the floor, he smiled at me sheepishly. “You got that on camera didn’t you?”

I laughed, but my mind was still replaying the conversation with Hunter. I looked back to see the red light lit up. “Yes, I did. Every bit.”

“Not your finest moment Dorough,” Nick said handing the phone back to me. “You smelled what the Carter was cooking,” he added flexing.

“Oh shut up,” Howie said. He headed in the direction of the showers. Nick looked at me.

“You okay?” he asked, nodding at the phone.

“Hmm? Yes, I’m fine,” I said. Nick arched his eyebrow.

“Really. I am.” I said, plastering on a horrible imitation of a smile.

“Oookay,” Nick said slowly. He took a step towards the showers, then paused. “I’m going to go take a shower.”

"Alrighty. I’ll meet up with you guys for dinner.”

“Sounds good. It should be normal food tonight. Brian made sure there was a kid’s menu.” He took another step towards the shower, then turned. “I’ll call you if I get trapped in the shower.”

That brought about a genuine laugh.. “Okay. But, you better hope I can remember how to answer a phone call.”

He made a praying motion with his hands, then headed off towards the showers. I packed up the camera and rolled my shoulders. Every muscle in my body seemed strung like a taunt rubber band.

I crawled into bed that night utterly exhausted. Dinner was uneventful; everyone seemed relaxed after a day of play. As we sat finishing dessert, everyone made plans for a night at the casino, but I bowed out. Claiming exhaustion, I headed up to my room, trying to ignore the questioning look in Nick’s eyes. I set my new phone on the nightstand and buried under the covers. Resting my head on the cool silk pillow, I stole a look at it sitting there stoically, innocently. It was amazing how one little thing could stir up so much emotion. On one hand, I thought of how sweet Nick was buying it for me; on the other hand, I could still hear Hunter’s angry words in my head.

Wondering when life got so complicated, I snuggled into the lush Egyptian cotton sheets. Praying for a brighter tomorrow, I nodded off to sleep.