- Text Size +
Chapter Nine

Elizabeth Montgomery walked towards the administration building slowly. Her heart was pounding. She had been called out of her business class to meet with the Dean. Whenever Elizabeth had been called to the principal's office during her high school days the first thing that she had always thought was, Oh my god I must have done something wrong. Today was no different.

The moment she walked through the doors into the outer office of Dean William's office she was filled with trepidation. Through the frosted glass window she could see that the Dean was already talking with Howie.

How does he know? Or does he?

"Please have a seat." the receptionist said. She motioned towards the soft padded chairs lined up against the wall.

With a slight nod Beth sunk into a chair, wondering what was already happening between the Dean and Howie within the office.

"I want you to understand that these types of confrontations are uncomfortable for me. I have the up most respect for all of the outstanding people that teach here. I hope that what we are going to discuss is purely rumor." the Dean said softly, studying Howard Dorough's face.

"What is it that you want to talk about Dean?" Howie said. He had a sinking feeling that he already knew what the topic of conversation would be.

"I've received a concern about the conduct of a Miss Elizabeth Montgomery."

"The conduct of..."

"I should say inappropriate conduct."

"I don't think I understand."

"The unnamed party has expressed a concern that you and Miss Montgomery have become romantically involved which they believe is affecting your judgment on who should receive top billing in the class and in any of the festivals." Dean Williams said. Howie could tell that he was uncomfortable.

The silence that filled the room was stifling. Howie could feel the heat rising up his neck and slowly spreading through his face. Choosing his words carefully, Howie began to speak.

"You have been so kind to me Dean Williams that I don't intend to lie to you. It is true that Elizabeth Montgomery and I have become romantically involved." Before the Dean could respond Howie continued. "But I want you to keep in mind when deciding a proper punishment that I was the person responsible for the initial start of the relationship. I urge you not to blame Elizabeth Montgomery. She is truly a talent and I am not just saying that because of … er, other circumstances."

Dean Williams couldn't help but be impressed by the honesty that Howie brought forth. His face softened and he spoke with deep regret.

"I do want to thank you for accepting my offer to teach here Mr. Dorough. You are a very qualified and talented young man that our students here could have truly benefited from. But under the circumstances I will be forced to ask you to resign your position at our facility."

"I completely understand Dean Williams. I'll clean out my desk today." Howie said, shaking the Dean's hand and walking towards the door. Before opening it, he turned once more and looked at the Dean already hovering over some paperwork.

"There's just one more thing Dean Williams."

"What is it Mr. Dorough?"

"What about Elizabeth Montgomery?"

"Since you are willing to accept total blame there will be no repercussions as far as she's concerned, but I will make a note in her transcript just as a reminder to myself to keep my eyes open."

"Thank you Dean." Howie said, walking out into the outer office. Instantly he was staring into the eyes of Elizabeth. She looked so small sitting in the office chair, staring up at him with her big blue eyes.

With a small smile but without saying a word, Howie walked out of the outer office and closed the door behind him.

Dean Williams’s voice came through over the intercom.

"Ms. Petersen can you tell Ms. Montgomery that I do not need to speak to her after all?"

"Yes Dean Williams." Ms. Petersen answered. Elizabeth had already heard.

As fast as her feet could carry her, she was out the door. She had only one thing on her mind.

Finding Howie.