- Text Size +
Chapter Ten

"Howie!" Elizabeth's voice called from behind. He was just finishing loading his things into the back of his purple Corvette.

"Elizabeth." his smile spread slowly as he opened his arms to hug her.

"What happened in there?"

Quickly he told her an abbreviated version of the conversation that had taken place between the two men. As he elaborated her eyes grew dark. She seemed to instantly read between the lines.

"You placed all the blame on yourself didn't you?" she asked, placing her hands on her slender hips.

"That class would be insignificant without you. Besides, I have so many other projects right now that stepping down from this job early is probably a mixed blessing."

"But I'm responsible too."

"You need this college education." Howie said, staring down at her. His face was filled with determination. She would never win the argument.

"What about us?" she responded, running a hand through his hair.

"We don't have to wait to be together." he replied, leaning down to kiss her softly on the lips. The gesture brought a bright smile to her face.

"We'll still continue our lessons. Come over tomorrow night."

He squeezed her hand and gave her another kiss before he got into her car. Elizabeth watched it drive away from the college before turning away.

Howie my love, you could be right. This might truly be a mixed blessing.

* * *

The next day Helen walked into vocal class with a grin that rivaled that of a Cheshire cat. She had won. Even though Dean Williams hadn't told her directly, she knew by his demeanor at the dinner table the night before that he had been forced to withdraw a student from the university. His facial expressions had said it all.

Taking her usual seat, Helen glanced at the desk. Usually Howie was there before the first student walked into the room.

Where was he?

Feeling a presence entering the room, Helen slowly swung her eyes towards the doorway. Her heart stopped. Elizabeth Montgomery headed towards her seat like nothing was wrong. Heat quickly rose to Helen's cheeks.

What the hell is she still doing in school?

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen." a thunderous voice boomed from the back of the room. Turning her head, Helen saw a balding middle aged man waddling towards the desk in the front of the room. Her mind swam with wonderment.

"Under circumstances under his control Mr. Dorough is no longer able to be your instructor. I'd like to introduce myself. I am..."

On and on he drowned as Helen brooded. Her stepfather had fired Howie. He hadn't gotten rid of Elizabeth.

Does it really surprise you Helen? He's never done anything to make you happy. He's made your life a living hell. Of course he would get rid of Howie. He knew how much Howie adored you. He kept Elizabeth in the class to taunt you. She gets to taunt you with the fact that she seduced the love of your life.

Helen took a deep breath and pressed her back into her chair. Her fingers griped her number two pencil angrily. She could almost feel her face contorting.

You won't get away with this Elizabeth Montgomery. You may have won Round One but Round Two has just begun.