- Text Size +
Chapter Eleven

Two weeks later, the auditorium was filled to capacity. The first musical festival of the year was about to begin. Dean Williams stood by nervously watching as more and more people flocked in. He knew why they were all here. They wanted to see Howie Dorough.

But I fired him.

After the last seat had been taken, Dean Williams made his way up to the stage slowly. Turning, he met hundreds of anxious eyes.

"I would like to thank everyone for coming to tonight's festival. We have for you the best of our theatrical, vocal and musical students to perform tonight." the Dean paused.

Should I tell them?

"Before the show starts I would like to introduce our musical and theatrical professors. They are truly the masterminds that made this program possible."

The applause was thunderous. As the Dean called out the teachers one by one he could tell that the applause was becoming more thunderous.

They think I'm saving him for last.

"And finally I would like to introduce our new vocal instructor, Professor Nordstrom."

The room went silent. The air was stifling. Finally someone shouted, "I want my fucking money back!"

That one comment rolled into hundreds of simultaneous and similar complaints. The stream of people getting up was unnerving.

Our performers are going to be crushed.

Elizabeth heard the noise from the wings where she stood. Even from this distance she could see the distress written across the Dean's face. She had to do something.

Elizabeth what can you do? Your feet are stuck to the floor. Your palms are dripping with sweat. There's no way you could have gone out there even if people had decided not to complain. You're scared!

"Come on." a voice whispered into her ear. Elizabeth turned around quickly. Howie stood there gazing down at her, a soft smile spreading across his face.

"Wha--" Elizabeth said. She was cut off by the music that started to play out through the speakers into the audience.

"We're singing." he said, walking back over to her. With soft fingers he slowly zipped up her dark purple dress. It wasn't until that moment that she saw he was dressed in a tux. It made him even more appealing.

How can I sing? My tongue's glued to the roof of my mouth.

Before she could protest, Howie gently walked her out onto the stage and took his seat at the piano. Scenes of their practices at his house replaced the sight of the large and loud audience in Elizabeth's mind.

Howie could sense her nervousness. Before he had even thought of the consequences, he knew that he had to go to the festival. She was too talented to be spooked by stage fright. With squealing tires, he had made a fast u-turn in a busy intersection, drove home, changed clothes, and sped towards Anderson Community College without another thought.

And now he was sitting at the piano. Elizabeth leaned on it, her eyes never leaving his face. Slowly he started to play and sing.

Over and over I look in your eyes
You are all I desire
You have captured me


I want to hold you
I want to be close to you
I never want to let go


Listening to his voice, Elizabeth felt the courage to open her mouth. The harmony flowed out into the now silent audience.

I wish that this night would never end
I need to know


Staring into each other's eyes they both began to sing. With each word their voices grew stronger, wrapping around each other like their powerful lovemaking.

Could I hold you for a lifetime?
Could I look into your eyes?
Could I have this night to share this night together?
Could I hold you close beside me?
Could I hold you for all time?
Could I have this kiss forever?


The courage building inside of her, Elizabeth slid onto the piano, leaning closer to Howie. With him as her pillar of strength, she felt the courage to bare her soul to the audience through the music.

Over and over I dreamed of this night
Now you're here by my side you are next to me
I want to hold you and touch you and taste you
And make you want nobody but me


Together they flew through the song, sometimes singing to each other, sometimes joining as one voice to express the power of their extreme passion. The audience was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop.

Watching this complete display of passion, Dean Williams felt like he was intruding on a private moment. Yet, he couldn't take his eyes away. Together they held a magical spark that instantly enraptured people.

They had saved the show.