- Text Size +
Chapter Twelve

Backstage Helen watched with an ever increasing anger. The end of the duet was coming up. Elizabeth was sprawled across the piano sexily, leaning towards Howie. At any moment it looked like they would wrap themselves into a searing kiss.

With narrowing eyes and clenched teeth Helen wove her way deeper backstage. Directly in front of her was a ladder. She knew exactly where it led. Being careful not to snag her dress on one of the protruding nails she began the climb.

Howie knew the end of the song was near. Leaning closer towards Elizabeth, Howie shut his eyes. He couldn't think of a better way to end such a passionate song but with a kiss.

Suddenly the sound of a fast approaching object met his ears. His eyes flew open only to see a heavy sandbag fall from the ceiling. It crashed through the piano missing Elizabeth by mere inches.

Elizabeth couldn't believe it. If she had been a few inches over the sandbag could have very well killed her. As soon as the realization sunk into her brain she felt the room spin. All went black.

* * *

"Beth? Can you hear me?" Howie said with a voice filled with panic. Her hand felt cold and clammy.

With fluttering eyelids, Beth slowly looked around. It took a few seconds before everything blended into solid shapes. Where am I?

"What happened? I---" she whispered. Her throat felt like sandpaper.

"They think one of the stagehands accidentally loosened one of the sandbags. It crashed into the piano. You've had quite a scare." Howie said, rubbing his hand reassuringly up and down her arm.

"Did everyone leave?" she asked with a groan as she slowly sat up.

"No. Actually the show's still going on. You know the saying. The show must go on." Howie said, kissing her softly. It brought a smile to her still trembling lips.

"Elizabeth! I'm so glad your okay!"

Turning, Beth saw Dean Williams rushing towards her. The worried, yet happy, expression on his face put her at ease.

"The show's going great. But the audience wants to give you a much deserved round of applause."

"Shall we?" Howie asked her, standing up and extending his hand.

"Of course. We can't disappoint our public." Elizabeth said laughing as she took his hand.

As soon as the crowd saw Howie and Elizabeth emerged they were on their feet with thunderous applause. It seemed from every direction that flowers were thrown. It took Beth's breath away.

Maybe I really can make a career of singing. With Howie's help I can do anything, she thought, snuggling closer towards him. The smile never left her face.

You won't be smiling for long bitch, Helen thought as she stood at the back of the auditorium. Her arms crossed in defiance as she turned and marched out of the building.