- Text Size +
Chapter Thirteen

"I can't put my finger on it Howie. I just feel like I'm being followed." Elizabeth said, setting her coffee cup down on his kitchen table slowly.

It had been two months since the incident at the musical festival and since that day Beth had become more and more suspicious of almost everything around her. The only one that seemed to take her concerns seriously was Howie.

"Maybe we should go to the police." he suggested softly. Beth could see the hot steam from the cocoa creating little water droplets along his masculine jaw. How sexy.

"Howie they'll think I'm crazy! But then again I might be." she said with a deep sigh. With desperate eyes she studied his face. "But you always know the right things to do. If you think I should tell the police I will."

"It can't hurt Beth." Reaching across the table he gently took her hand in his. A perfect fit.

* * *

Deputy McCormick sat at his desk quickly glancing over a recent report about a string of burglaries on the west end of town. Oh how I hate this job, he thought to himself.

Three months earlier he had been shot during a liquor store robbery on Marathon Avenue. He had been ready to head right back into his squad car but the Captain had said, "Kevin I'd be a damn fool to let a recently injured man back out onto the streets. You're on desk duty until further notice."

And that's where Kevin McCormick was on a beautiful autumn day. Glancing around the fairly empty police station, he couldn't help notice when the doors swung open and a beautiful petite blonde walk through looking around nervously. Escorting her was a man of Latin descent. They make a striking couple.

Walking over to greet the pair Kevin could see the apprehension in the woman's eyes.

"Good afternoon. I'm Deputy McCormick. Can I help you two with something?"

Slowly the girl raised her head. Looking first at her companion she then turned towards the Deputy.

"I think someone's following me."

"Following you?"

"Yes. I think someone has been..."

"Stalking you?"

"Yes. That's the word."

"Why don't you two follow me to my desk?" Deputy McCormick suggested nodding towards his desk piled sky high with papers.

When all three of the adults were finally seated the Deputy leaned towards the woman.

"Tell me everything that you've noticed since the moment you thought that you were being followed."

"Well..." Elizabeth said, wetting her lips. "It all started the night that a sandbag crashed into the piano inches from me."

For the next hour Elizabeth slowly began to elaborate on the small things that had been happening in the past two months. When she finally finished the Deputy leaned back and took a deep breath.

"It all seems highly suspicious and I will make a note of it. If there is anything else that happens please call us. The more evidence that we see first hand the better chance it is that we can catch this person if in fact there is someone."

"I'm not making these things up." Elizabeth said softly, tears welling up in her eyes. Quickly but reassuringly Howie squeezed her hand.

"I am definitely not accusing you of making things up. But the more stuff that we can see first hand and that we can get fingerprints from the better the chances are that someone can make sure you stay safe." Deputy McCormick said kindly, reaching over to pat her arm.

"Thank you." she said, standing up. Wrapping a strong arm around her shoulders Howie led her out of the building and towards his Corvette.

"You're going to be okay Beth. I'll tell you what. You'll move in with me."

Raising her head quickly she looked at him wide eyed.

"Move in with you?" she whispered. She couldn't hide her smile fast enough.

"You heard me." Howie said, leaning down to kiss her softly.

Everything will work out. There isn't room for unhappy endings.