- Text Size +
Chapter Fourteen

Two weeks later Elizabeth finally finished moving the last of her things into Howie's beautiful house. She couldn't help but miss him. He had left with the other guys to do a small promotional stint in California. He wouldn't be back until the weekend.

Walking through the house she couldn't held but notice how intensely quiet it was. Even turning on the television didn't seem to help.

I need to get out.

Fifteen minutes later Elizabeth was at one of her favorite fast food restaurants, curled up in a booth with a romance novel and her dinner. For the first time since the festival she finally felt completely relaxed.

Maybe no one's following me. It was probably all just a figment of my imagination.

Feeling a new sense of rejuvenation, Beth headed back towards Howie's house with a new sense of calm. The sound of the surf was music to her ears as she pulled into the driveway, shutting off the ignition.

The door opened with a loud creak. Clicking on the lights Elizabeth scanned the room slowly. What she saw made her gasp.

For some reason her eyes had been drawn to the fish tank. Within it she saw the mutilated bodies of the rare tropical fish. They had all been decapitated. The blood smeared the walls of the tank. The water was tinted a light red.

What if the person who did that to them is still here?

With shaky hands, Beth grabbed the cell phone and backed up against the wall.

"Hello. Police Headquarters. How may I direct your call?" a warm voice said.

"I need to speak to...to..." Beth's mind was a blank. Oh god I can't remember the Deputy's last name.

Suddenly it hit her. "I need to talk to Deputy McCormick."

"One moment."

One moment? I could be dead by then!

"Hello, Deputy McCormick speaking."

"Deputy? This is Elizabeth Montgomery."

"Elizabeth Montgomery?"

"I...I was in about two weeks ago. I told you I thought someone was f...following with me." Beth whispered. She couldn't stop her voice from quivering.

"Oh yes. How are you doing Elizabeth?"

"Can you come over here? Someone's...been in the house. They still might be here."

Oh god, please don't let someone still be here.

"I'll be right there."