- Text Size +
Chapter Fifteen

An hour later, Deputy McCormick stood beside Elizabeth writing down her statement. As soon as the Deputy had seen the severe mutilation of the fish he had brought in a detective to dust for fingerprints. A third police officer was going through the house for any more clues.

"And then I called you." Elizabeth said putting a fluttering hand up to her throat.

"Thank you Elizabeth. Just sit down. We're going to figure this out."

Walking over to the detective, Deputy McCormick looked again at the bloody tank. "Did you find any fingerprints Tony?"

"Nope. This thing's as clean as a whistle. I'm guessing that whoever did it was wearing a heavy duty pair of gloves. Not that I blame them. I wouldn't want fish blood on my hands either." Toni said putting his tools back into the kit.

"Sir!" the other policeman called. Without hesitation the Deputy followed the sound of the man's voice towards a bedroom. On the bed there was a knife jabbed into a pillow. Feathers were spread out all over the bed.

"What's that Johnson?" the Deputy said, inching closer. He saw the edge of a piece of paper being secured into place by the knife.

"It's a note sir."

Leaning over the Deputy gasped in surprised. Written in red, the same color as the mutilated fish's blood, were the words THE BOY IS MINE.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" the Deputy said looking up. Walking back through the house, Deputy McCormick knelt down by Elizabeth.

"What did you find?" she asked weakly.

"Whoever killed the first left a note stabbed into one of the bedroom pillows. It said THE BOY IS MINE. Do you know what that means?"

"I...I don't have a clue." Elizabeth stammered, shaking her head.

"Your boyfriend. Before he started to date you did he have a bad breakup? Do you know of any ex-girlfriend of his that could be angry at you for dating him?"

"No. Howie hasn't had a girlfriend in over a year and a half. His last girlfriend's name was Claudia and I've met her. She's a sweet person."

"Well..." the Deputy paused. "I think that until your boyfriend comes home you should stay at a hotel. I'll have a policeman come by every hour just to make sure that everything’s alright around the premises. If you feel that something's not right don't hesitate to call." He handed her his home phone number.

"Thank you Deputy." Elizabeth said. He waited until she had packed a bag and then followed her safely in a squad car to make sure that she got into the hotel alright.

Elizabeth quickly received a room and rode the elevator up to the correct floor. The minute she walked into the room she exhaled the breath she had been holding in.

Oh Howie I need you so much right now.

* * *

The cool autumn air flew through Helen's hair as she cruised towards home. She was sure that her mother was still sitting up worrying about her like always. Reaching over she cranked up her radio to max. She couldn't resist singing along

You need to give it up
Had about enough
It's not hard to see
The boy is mine


I'm sorry that you
Seem to be confused
He belongs to me
The boy is mine