- Text Size +
Chapter Seventeen

Walking into the police station, Howie quickly spotted Deputy McCormick. The night before as they lay wrapped up in each other, Howie had decided that he wanted to personally talk to the Deputy.

Deputy McCormick was baffled. There were no fingerprints on the knife and the handwriting sample from the note was sent to a crime lab to be compared with writing samples from their database. Every lead had come up empty.

"Excuse me Deputy. May I have a word with you?"

Slowly, he raised his head to meet the gaze of Howard Dorough, Elizabeth's boyfriend.

"Of course you may. Please have a seat." the Deputy said, nodding towards the seat across from his desk. When Howie was seated, the Deputy continued. "What can I help you with?"

"I was wondering if you've found the person that broke in to my house. Elizabeth's still scared. I don't blame her. I'm getting worried myself."

"All items were taking to the crime lab. Unfortunately nothing's come in to give us any idea who could have done it Mr. Dorough. I still have a police officer driving around the neighborhood. We have looked around the house again. I believe it was a one time occurrence Mr. Dorough."

"I hope so. We'll be going back to the house tonight." Howie said.

"I'll alert my officers of that. If you do find anything else out of the ordinary please don't hesitate to call me. Your girlfriend has the number."

'Thank you Deputy McCormick." Howie said rising.

"Oh, before you leave Mr. Dorough..."

"Yes?"

"Can you think of anybody, like an ex-girlfriend, that could be holding a grudge?" the Deputy leaned forward, staring intently into his face.

"No. Elizabeth's been my first girlfriend in a long time and my last relationship ending mutually." Howie said, thinking about the moment when Claudia had told him that without commitment she wouldn't stay with him.

I wasn't ready for commitment then. But I am now.

"Alright. Thank you for stopping in Mr. Dorough." the Deputy said with a hint of disappointment in his voice.

There goes that theory.

* * *

God, she's got him wrapped around her little finger too.

Helen sat in the front row of the auditorium. The next festival was coming up in two months and students were competing for the twelve coveted spots open.

Professor Nordstrom, taking charge of the program, sat in a chair. His eyes were glued intently to Elizabeth as she gathered her courage to sing.

Closing her eyes, she focused on blocking out the thought of the others in the audience watching her. Images of Howie floated through her mind. He was kissing her slowly, running his hands along her slowly. Feeling her body relax, Elizabeth opened her mouth and began to sing with an inner strength and beauty.

You're the reason
Why I found a way
And you're the reason
Why I feel this way


And you're the reason
Why I have to say
I had to let you know
You're my everything
So many times I've been alone
I didn't know what to do
I don't know where I'd be
If I didn't have, didn't have you


You comfort me
Make me believe
Give me the strength I need
Since you came into my life
It's been so heavenly, heavenly


Elizabeth flew through the song with ease. Every word reminded her of Howie. She could almost feel his warm breath on her cheek.

Lingering on the last note, Elizabeth opened her eyes slowly. Practically everyone in the auditorium was on their feet clapping enthusiastically. Beth's heart couldn't help but swell with pride.

Elizabeth decided to stay for the rest of the auditions. She couldn't believe how well everyone did. People Beth had met in her classes suddenly seemed to transform and swell into a larger being once they stepped onto the stage. Her eyes were wide with awe.

I'll never make it.

Finally Professor Nordstrom stood up and glanced at his clipboard.

"Our last audition of the day will be by Helen Kendle."