- Text Size +
Chapter One

Anderson Community College seemed to explode with energy. After a long summer students were eager to get back and the incoming freshman were filled with their ideals of college life. Dean Williams couldn't help but muse at the expressions on the faces of the students. He could spot a freshman a mile away.

Turning towards the building that housed the musical department, Dean Williams caught a glimpse of a gentlemen hurriedly scooping up a shoulder bag and a pile of papers and books. His eyes lit up with relief.

"Mr. Dorough, I was worried that you wouldn't arrive in time for the first day." the Dean said, extending his hand as he walked towards the young man balancing his supplies.

"I always keep my promises Dean Williams." Howard Dorough said shaking the Dean's hand.

"Let me show you to your classroom." the Dean said as he led Mr. Dorough down the gleaming white hallways.

If there was one thing that the Dean enjoyed the most it was the music department at his institution. Even without students in the building, the Dean could almost hear the joyous voices resounding in the walls.

"Here we are." he said leading Mr. Dorough into a large room with acoustic walls.

"Excellent." Howard Dorough said, setting his stuff on the oak desk in the front of the room.

"If you need anything else just ask Mr. Dorough." Dean Williams said, glancing around.

"Just one thing." the handsome young man said, putting his hands on the desk and leaning over towards the Dean.

"Anything."

"Call me Howie."

"Of course. Have a great first day, Howie. You have no idea how we appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to teach for the semester."

"Well who knows? I may be able to scout out some rising talent." Howie said with a soft laugh as he straightened his papers."

"If there's one thing our musical department has, it's talent." the Dean assured him.

"I'm sure I will see that for myself very soon." Howie said with a grin as he turned towards the dry erase board.

"Yes you will. Have a great day." the Dean said again, walking out of the room.

* * *

Oh my god, what am I doing here? I'm not a teacher. I'm a singer. What the hell am I going to do with all these kids?

Howie replayed his fears through his mind as he gazed out at the almost packed room. Why did I ever agree to do this?

When Howie had first received the call from Dean Williams, he had thought the idea was a complete joke. Thinking back he could remember the conversation vividly.

"Hello?" Howie had said.

"Mr. Dorough?" the sound of an unfamiliar voice had said.

"This is he." Howie replied.

"This is Dean Williams from Anderson Community College."

"Oh hello Dean Williams. What can I help you with today?"

"I wanted to tell you that we are short on a vocal teacher this year and we could use someone that not only knows vocals but is almost deeply involved with the business that so many of our music majors are interested in diving into."

"Well I can see if there's anyone in the studios around here that has some free time." Howie had said, still wondering why Dean Williams had called him of all people.

"Actually..." the Dean had said before pausing. Howie clutched the phone, twirling a pencil around in his fingers as he waiting for the Dean to continue. "We were hoping that you might agree to take the job. That is if you aren't busy for a semester."

"Me?" Howie had said, scoffing.

"That was our hope." the Dean had told him.

Surprisingly the Dean's hope had become a reality. Upon meeting with Dean Williams, Howie had become engrossed in something new to do with his life. Not only would he be able to teach, but he would also be able to write and record some music for the album that he and the Boys were working on.

And now here Howie stood in the front of the classroom, staring at each new student arriving. Some of the females just arriving to class had recognized him instantly and there were long periods of squeals before composure was regained.

And then, as if drawn towards the door by magnetism, Howie's eyes fell upon the most beautiful creature he had ever seen.