- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty One

Helen watched with only a mild interest as the other performers came and went. Her sadistic smile never left her face.

She's last. They're saving the best for last. If they only knew.

As soon as the tenth performer came on, she slowly excused herself from the balcony of the auditorium. If she was ever going to do this correctly she would have to have at least a few minutes to set up.

It had taken two months worth of hard planning for her to get her plot down. There wouldn't be any room for error. Of course, she wasn't planning on making any errors.

Since the last disaster up in the rafters, they were now being carefully watched by the stage crews. She knew that she couldn't do anything there. However Helen had found an old abandoned room with a small window to the right of the balcony.

By the time the festival's over I will finally have Howard Dwayne Dorough. The boy will be mine.

* * *

"Deputy McCormick. This is Johnson over at the crime lab. I have some news for you on that break-in over at the Dorough place."

"Really?" the Deputy said surprised. "It's been months. What have you found?"

"It was purely by accident of course. My daughter is friends with the stepdaughter of Dean Williams. He's the Dean of Anderson Community College, where Elizabeth Montgomery is enrolled."

"Yes?"

"Well Helen, the Dean's stepdaughter, showed my daughter some lyrics that she had changed around. She told my daughter that she wasn't picked for the festival so she wouldn't need them after all the work she had put into them. My daughter asked if she could keep them and Helen agreed."

"What does this have to do with the break in?"

"The title of the song was THE BOY IS MINE. I took the handwritten sheet into the crime lab and had our hand writing expert compare the sheet with the note that was written on the pillow. It's an exact match sir."

"Holy shit Johnson. When is this festival? If this Helen's holding some type of grudge against Elizabeth then she may be plotting something tonight. I just talked to Elizabeth two weeks ago and she told me everything was fine and that she even got one of the coveted spots in a festival."

"From when my daughter tells me the festival's tonight sir."

"Fuck. Thank you Johnson."

Hanging up the phone quickly, Deputy McCormick grabbed his jacket. As soon as he slid into an empty squad car he turned on the transmitter.

"I need two backup officers to assist me. Anderson Community College Auditorium. We have a potentially dangerous suspect."

* * *

"And next we have a very talented young lady that will be singing a rendition of I Wanna Be With You. Please put your hands together for Elizabeth Montgomery!" Mr. Nordstrom cried, quickly exiting the stage.

It's now or never Beth.