- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Two

Willing her legs to move, Beth made her way onto the stage. The spotlight temporarily blinded her. Her heart was pounding.

Blinking fast, she studied the darkness until she found Howie sitting front row center. A huge smile never leaving his lips, she caught the movement of his mouth saying I Love You. That was all she needed to find her strength.

I try but I can't seem to get myself
To think of anything but you
Your breath on my face
Your warm gentle kiss, I taste the truth
I taste the truth
We know what I came here for
So I won`t ask for more


I wanna be with you
If only for a night
To be the one whose in your arms
Who holds you tight
I wanna be with you
There's nothing more to say
There's nothing else I want more than to feel this way
I wanna be with you
So I`ll hold you tonight
Like I would if you were mine
To hold forever more
And I`ll saver each touch that I wanted
So much to feel before (To feel before)
How beautiful it is
Just to be like this


The audience was spellbound. Howie leaned forward in his seat, his eyes glazed over with his pure devotion to her. She had never looked more appealing to him. Dressing in a long white dress with shimmering spaghetti straps, her blonde hair cascaded over her shoulders sexily. Her tanned skin made her look vibrant and alive.

She's an angel. My angel.

Suddenly, a noise from the back of the room broke through Howie's thoughts. Turning around, his eyes widened in surprise at the sight of Deputy McCormick and two other officers. Quickly an officer went to each side. Howie could see Deputy McCormick looking around.

Finally the Deputy's gaze settled on something. His jaw tensed. He quickly called an officer back over.

Following the Deputy's every movement, Howie looked up towards where he had been looking. What he saw made his stomach do flip flops. A gun, pointed directly towards the stage.

* * *

"Three..." Helen whispered to herself.

"Two..."

"One..."

The shot fired out of the gun with such intensity that she went spilling backwards out of her chair. Looking around quickly, she threw open the door and started to run.

"Not so fast." a voice said, blocking the stairway down. It was her only escape.

Turning around fast, Helen tried to make a feeble escape towards the small window.

I'll jump. I don't care. Howie's waiting for me.

Before she even reached the doorway back into the room, her wrist was caught harshly. The officer’s nails dug into her skin. Looking at him, she saw him place the cold metal of handcuffs around her wrist and quickly work it towards her other wrist. An intense madness spread across her face.

"The boy is mine." she told the officer happily as he led her outside towards a waiting police car.

The boy is mine.