- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Four

The site of all of the machines going into his strong body brought a new round of sobs to her throat. But she could tell that he was watching her. Swallowing them down, she headed towards the bed.

"Beth..." he managed to croak out.

"Shhh, don't talk. It's okay." she whispered.

Taking his hand in hers she brought his fingers to her lips just like he had done to hers early that evening. It brought a soft smile to his face.

"Love...you." his eyes started to droop.

"It's okay Howie. I'm here for you. I love you too. So much."

A fugitive tear began it's descent down her face.

"Ma..." he started to say.

"Ma? You want me to call your mom?"

"No. Ma---" he took a deep breath. "Marry me."

The words threw her against the back of the chair. "You want me to marry you?" she responded in a shaky voice.

"Y--yes."

"Howie, of course I will. When you're all bet--"

"Now." he moaned softly.

"Now? I'll see what I can do."

The sound of his moan broke her heart. He was in so much pain.

"You can see him later. He needs his rest." the doctor said coming in.

"I'll be back later baby." she whispered, leaning down to kiss his cheek.

"Get m-minister." he whispered in response.

As soon as she walked out of the room, Elizabeth leaned heavily against the wall for support. Letting their conversation flow through her head, she finally got up enough strength to start walking. She headed straight for the hospital's chapel.

* * *

An hour later Elizabeth stood beside Howie clutching his hand. The minister, Bible in hand, stood at the foot of his hospital bed.

"I found the ring." the nurse said rushing in. Seeing the confused look on Elizabeth's face she replied. "He already had a ring in his pocket."

"Always come..." Howie said, wincing a bit as a rush of pain flowed through him. "prepared." with a weak smile he looked into Elizabeth's eyes. Even in so much pain they shone with the love he carried for her.

"Are we ready then?" the minister said softly.

"Yes." Elizabeth responded, leaning down to kiss Howie's forehead gently.

As the minister spoke words of love and togetherness, Elizabeth couldn't help but think of all the things they had been through in the short amount of time they had been together. She couldn't let him go. It was too soon. Sensing her worries, Howie squeezed her hand with the last bit of strength he had left.

"Do you Howard Dwayne Dorough take Elizabeth Ann Montgomery as your lawfully wedded wife?" the minister asked, glancing up at him.

"I do." he whispered. A peaceful smile spread across his face.

"And do you Elizabeth Ann Montgomery take Howard Dwayne Dorough as your lawfully wedded husband?"

"With all my heart. I do." she responded, laughing through her downpour of tears.

"Hand me...the ring." Howie whispered, looking up at the nurse. Without a word she placed the shimmering promise of love in his hand. Bringing it to his lips he took her hand in his and with shaky fingers slid it on. It fit perfectly.

"I don't have a ring for you." she whispered softly. Her legs trembled beneath her.

"All I need is your love and your melodies in my..." suddenly he gasped. Elizabeth's eyes widened in fear. "my heart."

"You may now kiss the bride." they heard the minister say.

Leaning down, she let her lips brush against his. They responded with love. His whole body felt light and weak.

I've got to hang on.

Suddenly the room began to spin. Elizabeth's happy tearful face seemed to blur as his eyelids began to droop.

I don't want to die. It's too soon. Please God.

"Howie!" Elizabeth screamed. He could barely hear his name. Sounds of her laughter and visions of her smile filled his thoughts. With one last gasping breath he murmured her name.

"My sweet Elizabeth angel. I love you."

He died with a smile on his lips. It was a smile that represented all the happy times in his life, including the short time that he had gotten to spend with the perfect woman that he had almost believed didn't exist.