- Text Size +
Epilogue

"Beth, honey? Are you alright?" Elizabeth's mother said, touching her shoulder. Slowly Elizabeth drifted back from her memories. Her shoulders shook as she held back a sob.

"Just...thinking." she whispered softly.

"Honey it's been almost ten months. There's nothing that you can do to bring him back. Justice has been served."

Helen Kendle had been sentenced to life in prison, including an extended stay within the prison’s mental institution. When Elizabeth had heard the verdict she hadn't felt any sense of closure. It won't bring him back. Nothing will.

"It doesn't hurt any less mom."

"I know honey, I know. I'll put these groceries away for you."

Walking into the living room, Elizabeth glanced at the photographs she had placed in silver plated frames. When her eyes fell on the picture of her and Dean Williams, she couldn't help but sigh softly. She still felt so bad for him.

After Helen had been arrested, the Dean had resigned from the college that he had devoted so much time and energy. In a letter he had sent to Elizabeth just two weeks ago, he had told her that he was now teaching in California and was very happy. He ended his letter with his extreme sympathies.

Suddenly the sound of a cry towards the back of the house caught Elizabeth's attention. Turning from the living room, she walked down the long corridor, opening the door to a sunny spacious room. The pale yellow walls reflected the light pouring in through a wide bay window.

"Shh, shh it's okay sweetheart." Beth whispered softly. Walking across the room quietly, she scooped up the small wailing infant and held him close to her.

Only two weeks after Howie's funeral she had received the news that she was pregnant. All through the pregnancy she had clung to the belief that Howie would be forever with her because of their little miracle.

He will live on through our baby.

The day Anthony Howard Dorough was born Elizabeth had wept with joy. He resembled Howie from the top of his head to his strong little feet. Whenever she looked into Anthony's eyes she could almost feel Howie spilling his love through them. They were the same dark brown that she went to sleep every night remembering.

"Hey little guy. Did you miss your mommy?" she said softly, sinking down into the rocking chair. Slowly he began to quiet down, staring up at her with wonderment in his eyes.

"Your daddy would have loved you. He's watching over both of us now."

As if on cue, a beautiful butterfly landed on the windowsill. Flapping its wings, it watched as Elizabeth began to sing softly, closing her eyes.

Yesterday is now a memory
Just a picture on the wall
Of the life I once shared with you
Someone who listened when I called
So many things I should have said to you
I had the chance and let it slip away


If I could fly up to heaven
Just to see you one more time
I'd fly all the way to heaven
Just to say that I love you


The last words you said to me (I love you)
Remain an echo in my mind
Never imagined that you'd leave so soon
I will miss you sweet Howie


Fluttering off the ledge, the butterfly began to rise towards Heaven carrying Elizabeth’s' message of love.. Gently laying Anthony down in his crib, Beth listened as a gust of wind flew through the open window. She could almost hear Howie's voice carried in it.

Always remember I love you.