- Text Size +
Chapter Four

"Ms. Montgomery? Can you wait a moment?" Howie said. He knew he couldn't stop his mouth from saying those words. They had been on the tip of his tongue since she had begun to pack up her things.

"Sure." she said softly turning around. Is he going to say I had no right to be in his class? Was I that bad?

"Have a seat." he said, nodding at the chair he had slid next to his desk. Beth walked over quickly, sat down and stared expectantly into his eyes. His beautiful brown eyes.

"I wasn't expecting the high level of talent that I found here today." he said, dropping his gaze to his desk quickly. Elizabeth watched his every moment. Why won't he keep eye contact?

"But I must say that you are by far the rarest gem that I have encountered so far in this class. And just between the two of us..." he paused as he leaned towards her. Her heart seemed to leap right into her throat. "I doubt that any of the others will be as good."

"Mr. Dorough, I---" she began to say.

"Howie." he replied as an impish smile spread across his exquisite face.

"Howie, that's a great compliment but I doubt that I can be that good. I've never had any formal training besides the choirs I've belonged to and--" out of breath, she leaned back and let the words sink into her mind.

"I understand that. But if I think your voice is magnificent now think about what this vocal class and other vocal training will do for you?" he said.

“I’m not taking any other vocal training besides what I'm getting in this class." she pointed out.

Howie paused. Should I suggest it? She might slap me. But then again if she says yes...

"What if you studied with me separately? Free of charge of course. We can strengthen your vocal muscles and I can show you around the studios. You can see the real deal close up and in action."

It sounded too good to be true. Listening to him she couldn't help thinking there might be another reason he was so willing to help her. It brought out the little voice inside her. Beth, would you really mind if he was offering to help you for a little something more? I know you would enjoy it.

"Is that a no?" he said, breaking into her thoughts. She hadn't even realized that she was shaking her head no.

"What? Oh no!" she said as her eyes widened. "Actually, I'd love that. Thank you so much."

"Excellent." he said, leaning back in his chair. Silence filled the room.

"Should we schedule it the days this class doesn't meet? That way I could have training almost all week."

"That would be great."

"Okay. Um, so if that's all..." Elizabeth said trailing off. Nervously she wound the strap of her purse around her fingers.

"Yes that's all." Howie said, finally leaning towards her. Elizabeth couldn't help but catch a whiff of his cologne. He smelled wonderful.

"All right, I'll see you later then." she said with surprising calm. Grabbing her stuff she offered him a bright smile before walking out.