- Text Size +
Chapter Seven

Perched between two boulders on the rocky shore, Helen looked through her binoculars towards the house that was home to her future husband, Howard Dorough. She had seen Elizabeth enter. In fact she had seen Elizabeth in his house every other day for the past two months.

I'll kill her if she seduces him. He's mine.

With each passing day she had seen the closeness that was forming between the two. The rumor around the class was that Beth was sleeping with Howie for solos and the seemingly impossible A. Each remark that floated by Helen's ears only turned her eyes more sinister.

That was why two months ago she had decided to watch Howie's house when Elizabeth stopped over. The sounds of their duets still played through Helen's ears as she stood watching the two leaning towards each other closer and closer. Her fingers grasped the binoculars tighter, her knuckles becoming whiter than a ghost.

And then she saw it. It was something she had been dreading since she had heard Howie ask Elizabeth to stay after class to talk to her.

She's kissing him. How could she do that to him? It's assault!

Deep within her mind a soft voice bubbled to the surface. He's kissing back. He wants her. He doesn't want you. Look at him groping her.

"No!" she screamed, dropping the binoculars and clutching her head in a desperate attempt to drown the reason out of her mind.

He's mine. He's all mine. I'll do whatever it takes.

* * *

Hours later Howie stared down at Elizabeth's face in wonderment. Had it really happened? The past few hours seemed like a dream to him. But she was really in his arms, curled up to him, her skin brushing against his.

I should feel guilty.

"No." he whispered softly. "Something so right couldn't be wrong." Gingerly he twirled a piece of her blonde hair around his finger mindlessly.

She looks so pretty asleep.

Feeling a sudden shiver, Elizabeth snuggled up to the hard yet warm man holding her in his arms. With fluttering eyes Howie's image greeted her eyes. It was a welcomed sight.

"Are you awake already?" he asked softly with a gorgeous smile playing on his lips.

"Why should I sleep when I can look at you?" Beth said as she sat up slowly, letting the covers fall from her grasp.

"It can't happen again." he said softly.

Widening her blue eyes she looked into his face incredulously.

"Why not?" she asked, trying to control the sound of her voice. Nervously she wet her lips with her tongue.

"I don't mean ever again. I just mean for this semester. I..." he trailed off staring into her already tearing blue eyes.

God, she probably thinks she's a one night stand.

"It's against the rules?" she asked softly, trying to pull herself away from his electrifying, yet concerned, eyes.

"A teacher can't date a student. We only have two more months."

"Only?" she said with a laugh.

"It does seem like forever. It's like I've had a taste of heaven but I have to wait in purgatory until I'm fully allowed in." he whispered, playing with a string on the sheets. She stared at him surprised.

What a weird comparison.

"It's going to be hard. But we can still see each other in class. And we can still have our lessons."

"Well, actually..." he trailed off, clearing his throat.

"Oh, I see." Beth whispered, taking her gaze off him to look out the window towards the spectacular oceanic view.

"Having you here practicing would be too great a temptation. Not that I don't love the temptation but..."

Looking back at him, Elizabeth could see that he was speaking the truth. Pushing the thought that the moment could have only been a one night stand to him, she reached out and kissed him softly.

"I understand." she said after their lips parted. Her face broke into an angelic smile as she rested her head on his chest tonight.

"Stay here tonight." he whispered, pulling her closer. "I just want a few more hours before we have to go back to our student/teacher relationship."

"Gladly." she responded, planting a soft kiss on his powerful chest.