- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read the fic and give your thoughts! Hope you enjoy this chapter too!

 

“Turn on the TV.”

Alex looked up from some of his mail he was sorting through to see his mom rushing into his office. “What?”

"The TV, turn it on.” She reached and swiped the small remote to the television he kept in there and flicked it on, quickly changing to the appropriate channel.

Blurb was just returning from commercial break and he frowned. “Why are we watching this?” Blurb was nothing more than a daily entertainment show about celebrities. Paparazzi would follow and seek out celebrities and the show featured footage and photos of celebrities in their down time, and sometimes on time, having their lives invaded and privacy put out there for the World to see. Not that Alex minded the press, but sometimes enough was enough.

“You’ll see in just a minute.” She arched a brow at him and turned back to see the staff of the show discussing the video they had showed before commercial break.

Alex sighed and watched with disdain, his ears perking up as he heard his name mentioned. “What the hell…” He sat up straight in the chair, his eyes trained on the television screen.

“We’ve got AJ McLean of the Backstreet Boys out shopping at the Grove yesterday,” A thin guy with a goatee and stringy brown hair said from the stool he sat on. “He was with two friends it looked like, but the interesting part is that they were spotted in maternity stores.”

“Maternity stores?” The main host guy who was older and had short dirty blond hair, questioned. “He just got engaged right? Could it be because his fiancée has a bun in the oven?”

“Maybe so, but it didn’t look like she was with him. Just two women our photographer didn’t know.”

“Who was doing the shopping?”

The scruffy looking guy read over his notes. “We’re not sure. Where are the pics?”

Just then a photo of Alex, Brielle and Lily flashed onto the screen. The three of them were exiting one of the maternity shops, laden with bags. Another was put up next to the first that showed the trio strolling along the walkway with Lily leading the way and Brielle and Alex side by side. None of the pictures looked incriminating, but this would definitely get people talking and it didn’t look good.

Denise sighed and shut the television off when the topic moved to Lindsay Lohan. “Why in tarnation did you go shopping at The Grove? You know the paparazzi camp out there.”

He winced and ran a hand over his face. “I wasn’t thinking.”

“Obviously.”

He ignored that comment. “No one is going to know who we were shopping for. For all they know it could have been a gift.”

“But it wasn’t. We are going to need damage control. You need to call your publicist and your PR people.”

That was the last thing Alex wanted to do. Sometimes he hated having to deal with them and the statements and all the gossip that went around. “How ‘bout we just ignore it and soon it’ll fade away.”

“I don’t think it’s that easy.”

“We’ll make it that easy. And once Britney Spears or Heidi Montag do something crazy again, the talk will fade away.”

Denise lifted her brows. “Not the talk of your fans; the message boards, twitter and facebook are going to go wild with this story.”

“Mom, I’m going to announce it when the time is right.”

“And when will that be?”

He sighed and ran a hand over his face. “Let’s at least get through the doctor’s appointment tomorrow. Then I’ll call Staci and we’ll talk about it,” He spoke, mentioning his personal publicist.

That seemed to satisfy Denise enough. “Alright, but don’t wait too long, honey. You know these things have a way of coming out on their own and when it does, it gets blown way out of proportion.”

“I know.”

“Okay.” She moved around the desk and kissed his head. “Any word from Renee, yet?”

Alex shook his head. “Not yet, but it’s just been one day since I talked to her. I’m hoping she calls me this weekend.”

“Honey,” Denise decided it was time to be frank with him, “do you really think that you two will be able to work it out?”

“Of course I do.”

She sat herself in the chair across from his desk. “Even after she’s been behaving the way she has?”

“She’s just upset, Mom, and she has a right to be.”

“She’s acting like a child. Believe me, I can understand her being upset and yes, she does have a right to be, but that little stunt she pulled should have been a warning sign to you.” Her hazel eyes watched her son with concern and she hoped he didn’t start to get defensive like he had a habit of doing.

Alex frowned. “Why do you say that?”

“That’s who she is, Alex. That’s how she will react to certain situations and you really need to think about that if you’re intent on marrying this girl. Marriage is supposed to be forever, and do you really want to have to deal with that behavior for the rest of your life?”

“I’m not going to be finding out that some woman is carrying my child for the rest of my life.”

“Of course not, but who knows how she’s going to react to other things. All I’m saying is that you need to think about her behavior because it’s a precursor of what’s to come in your marriage.”

Frown lines creased his forehead and he slouched in his chair.

Denise sighed. “I just don’t want you to end up like I did; alone, hurt and jaded.”

His dark eyes studied his mother and he was quiet a moment, before he finally spoke, “So what do I do?”

She was pleasantly surprised that he hadn’t gone on the defense and that he seemed to be actually listening to her. “I can’t tell you what to do, sweetheart. You have to do what’s best for you. I just ask that you remember this when it comes to making your decision.”

“I know,” his mother could see the pain in his eyes and it wrenched her heart, “and I know she’s upset with me, but I hate that she refuses to talk about it. It’s like, what is she doing? Is she still going about her life like everything is normal? It really bothers me that she doesn’t seem to want to work this out.”

“I know, baby, and I’m so sorry that this is happening. But it gives you something to think about; how you’re here paining away and she seems to care less about that.” She reached over the desk and took her son’s hand into her own. “I know you love her and I know that you wanted a life together, but sometimes life has a way of showing us that the things we desire aren’t always the best choices for us.”

“Or our indiscretions screw our lives up royally.”

“Alex.”

He shook his head. “I’m not really in the mood to talk about this anymore. I’m gonna go get some air.” Then he rose from his chair and strode from the room.

Denise watched him go with a slight frown. She knew her son was hurting and trying to disguise it, but it was starting to come through and she wasn’t sure how much longer he could keep up the façade. She really hoped that he wouldn’t succumb to the pressures and the inner struggles he had to be dealing with and pick up a bottle. He’d been clean and sober for awhile now and she was so proud of him. Besides, the last thing that needed to be brought into the equation was alcohol. Alex wasn’t himself when he was drinking and the only thing it would do was make a dire situation even direr. Not good at all.

~*~*~*~*~

“Hurry up, Brielle; we don’t want to be late!” Lily called up the stairs to her friend. It was Friday morning and she and Alex were waiting for the blonde to make her appearance so they could head out the door and get to the doctor’s. And as usual, she was lagging behind and they were going to miss their appointment. “Come on, if we miss this appointment they don’t have anything for like…two more weeks!”

“Okay, okay, I’m here,” Brielle said as she descended the stairs. “I’m sorry; I had to go pee again. It’s the baby holding us up.”

Alex chuckled from where he was leaning against the wall with car keys in hand. “Sure, sure, blame it on the one that can’t defend itself.”

She chuckled and grabbed up her small handbag from where it sat on a nearby table. “That’s right.”

“Are you guys off?” Denise appeared in the foyer with a mug of coffee in her hand and her hair in curlers, a light blue housecoat wrapped around her.

“Sure are. We’ll be back soon.” Alex pushed himself from the wall and kissed his mother’s cheek.

“Okay, be careful.”

“Always. Okay, let’s roll, girls.” Then he ushered them out the door and to his waiting SUV.

Once everyone was loaded, Alex maneuvered it around the circular drive then headed away from the house and past the gates, pulling out onto the street. The GPS had been set for the address and he was familiar enough with the area to know they weren’t going to get lost and probably weren’t going to be late.

“So, are you nervous?” Lily questioned her friend from the backseat.

Brielle glanced to her. “More than you know.”

“I’m sure everything’s going to be okay.”

“I hope so.” She smoothed a hand over her tummy then tucked some hair behind her ear and looked back out the window. The last couple days had been pretty uneventful for everyone. Denise had behaved herself and played nice around the younger girl and Brielle was finding herself starting to like her, which surprised her in part. Alex had steered clear of Renee, which actually was the other way around, but the two still hadn’t talked yet. She couldn’t tell if he was upset about it or not because he seemed to be disguising it rather well. A couple times she’d caught him with a vacant stare or a distant look in his eye, but she kept herself mum. It wasn’t her business and she wasn’t going to say anything more and cause any kind of chain reaction. If they wanted to sort things out, they would.

“Depending on how long the appointment takes, we can stop off somewhere and pick up some lunch to take home,” Alex spoke up, breaking the silence that had fallen over the trio.

“Ooh, I’m really craving some chicken.” The blonde looked over to him. “Oh and mashed potatoes, ooh and some of those delicious rolls that seem to melt into your mouth.”

Lily leaned forward from the backseat. “You did eat breakfast, right?”

“And drank about a gallon of water,” Brielle replied. “I’m going to have to pee really bad very soon.”

Not till after the sonogram.”

“Yes, Mother.”

Lily chuckled and lightly swatted at her friend’s arm. “Be nice to me or I’ll start talking about waterfalls and trickling brooks.”

Alex laughed at that. “You wouldn’t.”

“Oh, I so would.”

“She would.” Brielle nodded in agreement.

“That’s not very nice.” He cast his eyes to the rearview mirror at Lily.

She met his gaze. “She knows I love her.”

“So, can we stop and pick up some chicken and mashed potatoes and some sweet rolls for lunch?” Brielle questioned, changing the subject.

“Absolutely,” Alex glanced to her, “that sounds really good, actually.”

“Mmm,” she relaxed back in the seat and rubbed her tummy, “can’t wait.”

He grinned at that and concentrated on his driving, following the directions the GPS unit instructed and finding that the route wasn’t too difficult and within another ten minutes they were pulling into the parking lot and locating a place to park. Then it was into the building, where Brielle signed in and the receptionist handed over a clipboard of paperwork for her to fill out. Alex helped, insisting on using his insurance since it was his child and a short while later, they turned the papers back in and took the seats once more to wait for their turn.

Brielle smoothed her shirt and glanced around the waiting room, noting a few other patients; all of which were expecting. One woman looked like her stomach was bigger than all of her and if she were to stand, she’d tip right over. Brielle winced at the obvious discomfort she was showing then quickly looked away when the dark haired woman glanced at her.

“I bet she’s got triplets.”

She blinked and looked at her friend. “Triplets?”

Lily nodded. “She’s huge, there’s got to be three of ‘em in there. Or she’s gonna give birth to the World’s biggest baby,” she made sure to keep her voice low so as not to be overheard.

The blonde glanced to her own stomach. “Just how big do babies get?”

“Um…I think somewhere like six to nine pounds, or so.”

“How big is that?”

Lily mulled it over then lifted her arms and cradled a pretend baby, showing Brielle how big a newborn might be.

Brielle’s eyes widened. “And they expect that to come out of this?!” She motioned towards her lower half then shook her head. “No way.”

“Well, I don’t think you have much of a choice.” The brunette cast her eyes towards the woman with the big belly then back to her friend. “Just be glad it’s not triplets.”

Alex looked up from his iPhone and to the two girls. “What?”

“Nothing.” Brielle shook her head quickly and smoothed her hair.

Lily leaned around her friend to Alex. “She’s having a slight freak out at the thought of giving birth.”

“I’m not freaking out.”

“Then what do you call it?”

Luckily, she didn’t have to respond because her name was called and she and Alex and Lily were escorted back into a room with white walls a desk with a computer and an exam table.

The next twenty minutes were spent filling out more paperwork, which seemed to cover just about every kind of medical diagnosis known to man. Brielle felt like her brain was swirling as she went through the questions one by one and answered them the best she could. The first section covered the mother’s gynecological health details followed with health history and the second section was the father’s health history. So once she was finished with what she could answer of hers, it was Alex’s turn.

He wasn’t too comfortable with responding that yes, he had a history of past drug and alcohol abuse and that yes, he still smoked and drank occasionally. Luckily, his mother wasn’t there to see that one. He tried to ignore the surprised look that Brielle sent him when she found out about his past use of drugs and alcohol and knew that they were going to have to have a long conversation after this. Preferably, somewhere his mother wasn’t. The rest of the questions went pretty easily and soon he handed the nurse’s assistant the papers.

She thanked them then proceeded to take Brielle’s blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, checked her eyes, ears and nose, took her weight, drew three syringes of blood, then handed over a small cup for a urine sample. Finally, after all that was taken care of, she led Brielle from the room and into an exam room for the physical part of the visit. The doctor joined them shortly after, a tall woman with raven hair and friendly blue eyes. She introduced herself as Dr. Morraseu and then proceeded to review the papers the blonde had filled out with her. She asked a few more questions, jotting the answers down on her clipboard then finally set it aside and wheeled her stool closer to the blonde.

“So, how are you feeling?”

Brielle smoothed the cloth that was draped over her lower half, now wearing just the customary gown. “Overwhelmed.”

The doctor gave an understanding nod. “I’m sure you are. After we do your exam we can talk about any questions or concerns you or your partner might have.”

“Is he going to be joining us in here?”

Dr. Morraseu lifted her brows. “Only if you’re comfortable with that. Normally, the men wait until after the physical part of the exam to join us.”

“Oh,” Brielle gave a nod and tucked some hair behind her ear, “that would probably be best.”

The doctor chuckled. “It usually is. So far, from everything you’ve told me, it all looks good, but we won’t know for sure until we check you over and get your blood and urine tests back. There are also a list of screening tests we’ll talk over with both you and your partner that are important for both you and the baby.”

“Wow,” she breathed out. “There sure is a lot.”

“The first prenatal visit usually is the longest and most detailed. Once we know both you and the baby are okay then the rest of them should move pretty smoothly and be faster. Unless, of course, there’s an issue with you or the baby.”

“Will there be an ultrasound today?”

Dr. Morraseu nodded. “I’ve scheduled one.” She rested her hands on her legs. “Shall we get started?”

The physical exam went smoothly and from her initial assessments, Dr. Morraseu didn’t find any problems or issues. She gave the blonde a new due date of June 21st and sent off some tissue samples to the lab for some further testing, which was common, she assured her patient, but she was comfortable in telling Brielle that she didn’t foresee anything negative.

Once Brielle was dressed again, Alex joined them and the doctor started by discussing the proper weight gain Brielle would need, some common symptoms of pregnancy and what she should and shouldn’t be experiencing, what foods she needed to eat and what she needed to stay away from, she told Alex he simply could not smoke around her. Then she explained the various screening tests that she wanted to give to test for abnormalities, Down syndrome, chromosomal problems and birth defects. It overwhelmed the young, soon to be mother, and she looked to Alex, feeling lost at all the information.

He took her hand in his and gave it a reassuring squeeze. “You alright?”

Brielle rubbed her forehead. “There’s just so much information.”

Dr. Morraseu nodded in agreement. “There really is, but it’s not difficult to understand. We’ll be doing a nuchal translucency screening, which essentially is an ultrasound, today. It will give us an idea on Down syndrome and some other chromosomal abnormalities as well as major congenital heart problems. Most people opt for just that screening before they decide to go ahead with the other tests, which can tell us for certain if there is an issue. The ultrasound will just give us an idea, but it’s not definite. So most couples like to get those results back before deciding to go ahead with a diagnostics test.”

Brielle glanced to Alex then back to the doctor. “Okay, that sounds good.”

Alex squeezed her hand. “Right, we can do that.” He wet his bottom lip. “What about DNA testing?”

Dr. Morraseu didn’t seem fazed by the question. “That can be done with one of the diagnostic tests; the amniocentesis. It’s not something we recommend doing solely for DNA purposes, because it is a high risk test and there can be quite severe complications. Usually the amnio is given to check for DS, sex chromosome abnormalities, genetic disorders such as cystic fibrosis or sickle cell disease, or neural tube defects such as spina bifida and anencephaly.”

Brielle wasn’t even sure she understood what all those meant. “And unless you have reason to suspect any of those, then it’s not something you will give.”

The pretty doctor looked between the two. “I don’t give it unless there is a health concern. It’s too risky for something like DNA.”

Alex gave a nod. “Okay, thank you, we appreciate your honesty.”

“You’re welcome.” The doctor smiled. “Alright, are we ready to see your baby?”

Moments later, the doctor was pulling up the image of Brielle’s uterus on the machine. She watched in amazement as Dr. Morraseu moved the wand against her tummy, pressing lightly at certain spots as she worked to pick up the baby.

The heartbeat was the first thing they heard; a strong and fast thump-thump that seemed to fill the room and Alex felt his own heart leap into his throat and he gripped Brielle’s hand tighter.

She gave a soft laugh then gasped in amazement when the doctor finally spotted the baby.

“And there is your little one.”

Alex peered closer to the screen, the pulse in his neck racing as fast as the baby’s was. “Where?”

“Right…here.” She circled the small image on the screen and let them study it while she went about measuring the length of the baby to check and make sure he, or she, was the appropriate size.

Brielle watched the screen, tears filling her eyes and spilling onto her cheeks. “I…can’t believe it.”

“I know.” Alex kissed her knuckles, feeling pretty close to tearing up himself. He hadn’t thought that hearing the heartbeat and seeing the tiny baby on the screen would have this kind of effect on him, but he was close to bawling like a baby. “It’s amazing.”

Brielle sniffed and used her free hand to wipe at her cheeks. “It’s so little…is everything okay?”

Dr. Morraseu smiled. “Sure is. Your little one measures the perfect size and looks okay from what I can see. It’s definitely a June 21st due date. In a minute, I’ll be putting a sensor on your abdomen that will show your baby’s nuchal fold area and I’ll be able to measure the thickness of it with the calipers.”

“Huh?” Alex tore his eyes from the screen and to the doctor.

She chuckled low. “I’ll be measuring the clear space in the back of the baby’s neck. Babies with abnormalities tend to accumulate more fluid there during the first trimester, causing the clear space to be larger than average. So we’ll be checking to see how it measures to a normal space there. Of course, this screening doesn’t mean the baby won’t have defects, but unless we see reason for alarm, then chances are good that it won’t and we won’t require further testing.”

Brielle turned her attention back to the screen and watched the small image that was her child. “Where’s the head?”

Dr. Morraseu took up her pointer again and outlined the head. “Right here, and down this way is the spine and then the buttocks leading to the legs,” she moved the pointer along the way as she spoke, “down to the feet.”

“It’s so tiny, how can you tell?”

Alex chuckled and squeezed her hand. “She’s a professional.”

“That’s right.” The doctor smiled then withdrew another wand shaped object and hooked it to the machine before resting it over Brielle’s abdomen and watching the screen.

Brielle didn’t know how to read what the doctor was doing, so she just studied the baby, a dopey grin covering her face. “I can’t believe it.”

“Me either.” Alex was seated on a stool at her head and he leaned over some and kissed her forehead. “It’s amazing.”

“It really is.” She looked to him and studied his face, noting the dampness in his eyes. “Are you okay?”

He smiled softly and brushed some hair from her cheek. “I’m perfect.”

“Good.” Her hand caught his and held it to his cheek. “Thank you for coming with me.”

Alex chuckled low. “You couldn’t have kept me away.”

Brielle giggled low at that, just watching him with shining eyes. He really was a wonderful man and he was going out of his way to welcome her into his home and make sure both she and the baby were okay. She didn’t know how she’d gotten so lucky that the father of her baby was this man; but she had and she couldn’t be more grateful or appreciative.

“Well, from my initial assessment, your baby looks very healthy,” the doctor spoke up, interrupting the small moment between the two.

Alex turned to her, his eyes darting between the doctor and the screen. “So he’s okay?”

“Or she,” Brielle interjected.

Dr. Morraseu nodded. “From everything I can see, he, or she,” she looked to Brielle at that, “looks very healthy. Both mother and baby do.”

“Thank God.” Alex squeezed the blonde’s hand, feeling a wave of relief wash over him.

The doctor began to put the machine away and handed Brielle a wipe to clean the jelly off her tummy. “We’ll continue to monitor both baby and mother as the pregnancy progresses and if we see anything of alarm or concern then we’ll schedule the appropriate tests and do what we can to figure out what the issue is. I’ve taken some video and photos for you and they should have them for you at the front desk.”

“Thank you, I appreciate that.” Brielle cleaned herself up then pulled her top back down over the tiny bump in her tummy.

Alex took the wipe and tossed it over into a nearby trashcan. “Yes, thank you.”

“You’re quite welcome.” Dr. Morraseu finished putting the machine away and pushed it to the side then rose from her stool and moved to the counter behind her. She gathered some brochures and papers and returned to her seat. “I have here some more information on proper care to take while pregnant. This one talks about eating well, foods to avoid, weight gain and prenantal vitamins, which I will be writing you a prescription for.” She handed a small booklet over to Brielle. “This one is about the different discomforts with second trimester pregnancy and it talks about the different symptoms you may experience. It also lists the different symptoms you’ll need to seek immediate attention for.” She passed another over. “And this one talks about what not to do during pregnancy such as smoking, drinking and drug use, certain medications, environmental and occupational hazards.” She handed one more over. “Most of it we talked about, but I wanted you to have it to take home. And of course, any questions or concerns, feel free to contact my office.”

Brielle took the pamphlets and looked them over, thanking the doctor.

Alex did as well and Dr. Morraseu smiled and tucked her hands into the pockets of her white lab coat. “Do either of you have any questions or concerns you wish to talk about right now?”

Brielle’s head was swimming and at the moment she couldn’t think of any. Glancing to Alex, she shook her head. “I don’t yet, do you?”

He shook his head as well. “Not at the moment. I think you’ve pretty much covered most everything I was wondering about.”

The doctor smiled. “Good, and if you think of any just give us a call. As soon as we get the results of your blood tests back, we will let you know, and I want to see you again in four weeks.” She withdrew a prescription pad from her pocket and quickly wrote on it, handing it to Brielle. “This is your prenatal vitamin prescription and I want you to start taking them immediately.”

Brielle thanked her again and she finally excused herself after instructing them to make their next appointment with the receptionist.

Alex watched her go and turned toward the blonde. “Well, that went well I think.”

“Yeah,” Brielle swung her legs around the side of the exam table and let Alex help her off it, “I was really nervous, but she was good.”

“I like her.” He slipped his arm around her shoulders and steered them both from the room.

“Me too.” She smiled and they stopped at the front desk, making the next appointment for Friday, January 7th at 10am and collecting the video and photographs the doctor had printed out. Then Lily met up with them in the waiting room and bombarded them with questions.

Alex chuckled and reassured her that everything went well and she could see the picture once they were back in the SUV.

Lily hooked her arm through Brielle’s and started from the building with them. “You guys were back there a long time.”

“There was a lot to go over.” She looked to her friend. “She changed my due date.”

Lily lifted a brow. “Really?”

The blonde nodded. “June 21st. I had given the doctor back at the clinic in New York the wrong date for my last period.”

“Ooh, well that’s a lot closer than July is. We have a lot to do to prepare.”

Alex chuckled. “Don’t stress her out. We’ll get everything done; no worries.”

“Right,” Lily squeezed her arm and pushed the front doors to the building open, “the less stress for everyone, the better.”

Alex pulled his shades from where he had hooked them to his shirt and slipped them on over his eyes. “That’s right.”

Brielle agreed and stepped outside into the bright sunlight with them. “So, now to get some chick and mashed potatoes.”

“And sweet rolls.”

“And sweet rolls.” She nodded at Lily then blinked at the swarm of people that suddenly advanced on them.

“AJ! AJ!” “Do you have any news for us?” “Are you gonna be a dad?” “Where’s your fiancée?” “Who’s the mother?” The shouts came as some of the photographers snapped picture after picture, others letting their video cameras roll and capture the scene in its entirety.

“What the hell?” Lily’s eyes widened at the sight and Alex gave a groan.

“C’mon,” he reached and took Brielle’s elbow gently in his hand, directing Lily to his other side and hooking their arms together, then he slowly pushed his way through the photographers that were shouting their questions at him, doing his best to ignore and not give more fuel to the fire.

Brielle moved along with her eyes wide. She had seen things like this on the TV with different celebrities but this was just crazy. How had they even known where they were? How had they known about the baby?

The photographers moved along with the trio, not giving up in their insistent questions and comments and Alex had to bite the inside of his cheek to keep himself in check and not say something he might regret later. On a good day, the tattooed man didn’t mind chatting with the paparazzi, but this was not one of those days or a subject he wanted to discuss.

Finally, they reached the vehicle and Alex helped the girls inside then pushed through the group and moved around to the other side, climbing in behind the wheel and shutting the door firmly behind him. He locked the doors then started up the SUV glancing to his companions. “You guys okay?”

Lily was staring out the window as they continued to film them. “Geeze, they’re like vultures. How do you even breathe?”

Brielle ducked her head at the flashbulbs going off in her face. “What are they doing? What’s going on?”

“I’m sorry.” He frowned and lowered his visor to help with the flashing lights then slowly pulled out of his spot and towards the main road.

The photographers followed until he turned out onto the road then fell back and went about their own business.

“I…I have no words,” Lily spoke from her spot in the back.

“What the hell was that?”

Alex glanced over to Brielle at her outburst. “That was the paparazzi.”

She frowned and a line creased her forehead. “What were they doing? How do they know about the baby?”

He sighed and drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. “They spotted me on Wednesday when I took you shopping. We were in some maternity stores and there’s photos of that going around. And now, we came out of an ob-gyn office.”

“How did they find us?”

Alex shook his head and glanced back to Lily at her question. “They’re vultures, like you said. I have no idea how they know where we’re going to be, but they always seem to. And sometimes it’s the luck of the draw; they happen to be somewhere a celebrity is at. That mighta been how it was today.”

“Is it going to be like that every time?” Brielle settled the manila envelope containing the dvd and photographs in her lap.

“Depends on where we go.” He looked to her and touched her arm. “I’m sorry, I had no idea they were gonna be there or I woulda warned you.”

“It’s okay; it’s not your fault. But I know how you can make it up to me.”

“How’s that?”

She smirked and rested her head against the back of the seat. “Get me some chicken, mashed potatoes and sweet rolls. Oh, and a couple tacos.”

Alex laughed. At that moment, he’d get her the world if she requested it. “You’ve got a deal.” Then he turned at a light and headed that way.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Just a note: I don't have children, so please don't judge me on the doctor's appointment lol, I got everything from research. And I'd love to know what you guys think Alex and Brielle should have ...girl or boy! Leave your opinions in a review! Thanks! :)