- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So glad the site is back! Welcome back readers! Enjoy this new update! Thanks again for all the feedback! :)
With his heart in his throat, Alex zipped through town and into the hospital parking lot. He was out of his car and racing for the front doors before he’d even come to a complete stop. Once inside, he questioned the nurse at the desk where Brielle Madison was and was instructed to wait in the ER waiting room. He frowned at that, but didn’t put up a fuss and paced back and forth; only looking up when his name was called and Lily was rushing over to him.

“Hey, where is she? What happened? Is she okay? What about the baby?” He rattled the questions off before she could even get a word out.

Lily grabbed his arm, tears spilling down over her cheeks. “I don’t know, they wouldn’t let me back with her. The doctor hasn’t come out yet. Ooh, Alex, what if something horrible has happened?”

He took hold of her shoulders and led her to a secluded corner so not every Jim, Bob and Harry in the joint could overhear them. “Where’s my mom?”

“She’s with Brie. She told them she was the grandmother and they let her go with her.”

Well, that was good, at least she wasn’t alone. “What happened?”

Lily wiped at the tears on her cheeks. “We were having dinner and she started having these stabbing pains in her lower stomach,” she used her hand to show him where, “and they wouldn’t go away, so we came here.”

“Did you call her doctor?”

The brunette nodded. “She’s supposed to meet her here. God, if something horrible happens, I’m …” she trailed off and shook her head, squeezing her eyes tight.

Alex slipped his arm around her shoulders. “Hey, we can’t think like that. You guys did the right thing by bringing her here and now the doctors are going to do what they can and figure it all out.”

“Right,” she sniffed and wiped her cheeks again then gave a dry chuckle, “she wasn’t supposed to have something like this happen to her again. I warned her last time.”

“I know,” he gave her a squeeze; “we just have to think that she’s going to be okay.”

Lily nodded and cleared her throat some, glancing around. “Where are the doctors? How long does it take to evaluate someone?”

Alex shrugged some and looked around as well, frowning when he spotted the cameraman in the corner. “Shit.”

Lily felt her pulse quicken. “What? What is it?”

The tattooed man rubbed his eyes. “The paparazzi are here.” He pulled away from her. “Let’s go ask the nurse for a private room to wait in. They’re pretty good about that kind of thing.”

Lily nodded and followed behind Alex as he approached the desk again and spoke with the receptionist. She quickly agreed and within minutes they were in a private waiting room that consisted of some chairs, a TV and a table littered with magazines.

“Well, this is better than having to sit next to the woman coughing on everyone,” Lily mused as she sank into a chair and grabbed up a magazine.

Alex sank down beside her. “I know right.”

She flipped through the magazine then tossed it back where she’d gotten it. “They’ll know we’re in here right?”

“Yeah, the receptionist said she would note it on the chart.”

Lily nodded and was quiet a moment, her leg bouncing up and down in a nervous fashion. “Your mom said you were at Renee’s.”

He looked to her. “Yeah, I was.”

“Are you two making up now that she’s having your child, too?”

He sighed and slouched some in the chair, leaning his head back against the wall. “I don’t know what we are.”

Lily wet her bottom lip. “Brie told me that you talked her into staying here in Cali.”

His head snapped in her direction. Had she told her about the kiss too? “Um, I did. I don’t want her to leave.”

“Yeah, she said you got a little upset.”

“Well, you would too if you were in my place.”

Lily nodded some. “Yeah, but do you really expect her to stick around just so you can be there for the baby when you’re having another child with your fiancée; a woman you supposedly love and want to spend the rest of your life with? She’s a person with her own wants and dreams and her own life to live.”

Alex lifted his brow. “You don’t want her to stay?”

“I want her to do what’s best for her.” She watched him with a serious expression. “I admit, I wanted her to come out here and visit and let you help with everything and I don’t want her to shut you out of her and this child’s life, but if you’re going to be having this other baby with Renee and you plan on marrying her, where does that leave Brielle? Someone who uprooted her life and moved clear across the country for you.”

“Hey, it was for her too. She wasn’t exactly in a good position to not come out here.”

Lily sighed. “I know and I wanted her to come out here, but things have changed and how can I tell her to stay out here for you, if you’re off living your happy life with Renee and this other child?”

“So I’m not supposed to marry the woman I love and have children with her because of Brielle?” He frowned. “How does that make sense? I thought it was my life and I got to make my own decisions in it.”

“You’re misunderstanding me. Of course it’s your life and you can make your own decisions, you can do whatever you want. I just don’t want Brie to end up on the raw end of any deal or hurt or alone.” Her green eyes showed the love and concern she had for her friend. “You forget that once I leave here, she has no one but you. And if you’re off playing happy family with Renee and this new baby, where does that leave her?”

“I’m gonna get her a job. I called a few people the other day and she’s supposed to meet them next week.”

“That’s great and all, but what’s that going to accomplish?”

He sighed and shifted some in his seat, leaning forward in the chair. “She’ll start making friends and then have a life of her own.”

“I just don’t want this baby to be the only thing connecting you two.”

Alex frowned at that. “You think that’s the only thing that would keep us communicating?”

She shrugged. “You tell me.”

Alex’s frown deepened. “I care a lot for Brielle and you should know that. I’m not gonna just be in and out of her life when I come to pick the kid up for the weekend. I hope we’re able to stay close and be in each other’s lives as permanent fixtures.”

“What about Renee?”

“What about her?”

“She hates Brie.”

“She doesn’t-” he stopped himself short. Lily was very right; Renee hated Brielle with a strong passion and he knew she would not make it easy, whatsoever, for him and the blonde to keep in touch. She was already trying to convince him to send her off somewhere else to live.

Lily turned back right in her chair. “I rest my case.”

“Shit,” Alex cursed, rubbing his eyes and ducking his head. “What the fuck am I supposed to do?” The phone in his pocket began to ring, but he ignored it.

Lily waited until it had quieted before speaking again, “I guess you have to figure out what you really want, deep down; not what everyone wants you to want.”

“I don’t know what the hell that is.” He didn’t look up. “I used to think I knew what I wanted, but ever since you contacted my mom and she called me about Brielle, everything’s been changing and I feel like I’m sinking faster than I can swim.”

She didn’t know what to respond to that with, so she didn’t and the two lapsed into a silence that was interrupted by his phone until he withdrew it from his pocket and silenced it. Neither one spoke again until the door to the waiting room opened and Brielle and Denise entered in.

“Brie!” Alex shot from his seat and was at her side in an instant “Are you okay? How are you feeling? What did the doctor say? Come have a seat.” And he was guiding her to the chairs and helping her down into one before anyone could speak up.

Denise chuckled low and touched her son’s back. “She gave us all quite a scare.”

“What happened?” Lily slipped into the seat next to her friend.

Brielle gave a sigh and smoothed a hand over her stomach. “Turns out it was nothing serious; just my uterus and ligaments stretching and growing.”

“What?” Alex frowned and crouched before her in the seat.

“Yeah, they stretch and it can hurt sometimes.” She shrugged some, feeling embarrassed at having it blown out of proportion and ending up at the hospital. Her doctor had been very understanding though and told her she had done the right thing. Being her first pregnancy and all, Brielle really had no idea what to expect and you could read every book out there and still not be prepared enough.

“Are you sure that’s all it was?” Lily questioned. “Did they check you over completely? The baby too?”

“They did,” Denise answered for her. “Did an ultrasound and ran some tests, but couldn’t find a thing. Doctor Morraseu said that’s what it had to be and so they told her to take it easy a few days and sent her home.”

Alex sat back on his heels, feeling a wave of relief wash over him. He let out a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding and clasped her knee with one hand. “Thank God, you had us scared shitless.”

Brielle chuckled low at that, more so at the look his mother sent him then rested her hand atop his. “I was scared too. All I could think about was that…” she trailed off when tears began to fill her eyes.

“Oh, hey now, you’re okay.” Lily slipped her arm around her friend’s shoulder and gave it a squeeze. “We can’t think about what it might have been; it wasn’t that. Everything is okay.”

“Right.” She sniffed some and wiped under her eyes.

Alex studied her a moment then rose to his feet. “Okay, how ‘bout we get her home and into bed? I think we all could use some down time after all this.”

“That sounds good.” Denise nodded her head firmly. “Alex, how ‘bout you drive Brie back and Lily and I will follow. I want to stop at the store and pick up some stuff.”

“We can do that.” He held a hand towards the sullen blonde. “Shall we?”

“Yes.” She took his hand and stood as well, letting their hands stay clasped and heading from the room with him, Lily and Denise.

They made it as far as the corridor just inside of the entrance doors before they were spotted and flashbulbs starting going off like crazy. Brielle frowned and ducked her head, drawing closer to Alex’s side when he slipped a protective arm around her. Lily took her other side and Denise led the way, abruptly ignoring the photographers as they shouted questions about what the visit had been about and if Alex was going to be a father, where his fiancée was and who was the expectant mother.

Slowly, they pushed through the group and made it outside only to be greeted with more flashbulbs and rolling cameras.

“Shit.” The male of the group frowned. He should have known better and called one of his bodyguards before trying to leave on his own. But he hadn’t been thinking clearly given the circumstances and now it was too late. Mentally kicking himself in the ass for that, he slowly pushed his way through the group, carefully leading Brielle and Lily along. Denise elbowed her way to the front and began to clear a path, ignoring the questions and comments they threw out at her and the pop star.

Finally, they reached the vehicles and Alex got Brielle inside then forged his way around his SUV and slipped behind the wheel. He watched out the window, trying to ignore the bright flashbulbs going off in his face, to make sure his mom and Lily made it to his other vehicle they had driven then finally he buckled up and started the engine.

“Geeze oh pete’s, are they always this horrible?” Brielle kept her head ducked and pulled her hair around her face to help hide it from the photographers just outside the window. “You’d think we were the Queen of England or something.”

Alex flipped his visor down and pulled his shades on then started from the parking space, slowly and carefully so he didn’t run anyone over; though at the moment he’d have loved nothing more than plowing through the crowd. “It’s normally not this crazy, but I guess with the baby rumors they’re all trying to be the first to get the dish.”

She made a little face. “I’m sorry. I’m sure they’re going to run like crazy with this.”

“Probably so.”

“How do you think they’re going to react when news of Renee’s pregnancy comes out?”

He glanced to her at that, feeling his stomach take a dive. “Um…I have no idea.” Shit, why couldn’t he be just an average Joe with a normal job? He never wanted to change it before, but all this drama was seriously making him wish that right now he wasn’t some celebrity who was hounded by the paparazzi.

She nodded and fell silent and Alex maneuvered the SUV out the parking lot and finally away from the flashing bulbs of the photographers.

“Are you hungry?” He glanced to her as they headed for the main highway.

Brielle shook her head. “No.”

“You feel okay?”

“Yeah, just tired.” Her head rested against the back of her seat and she watched him in the dim lighting that was available via the streetlamps. “How are you holding up?”

Alex glanced to her. “I’m okay.”

She studied him a moment, wishing it was a bit lighter so she could see his eyes. “Been pretty stressful, huh?”

“You’re telling me.” He gave a heavy sigh and shook his head some. “I need to tell my mom about Renee, but I can’t seem to bring myself to do it.”

“Well, you better do it before she finds out on TV.”

“I know right,” he shook his head again, “and knowing Renee, she isn’t going to hide it or avoid the questions.”

Brielle made a face. “Yikes; let’s hope she doesn’t run to the press and let it out herself.”

He cut his eyes to her at that, feeling a slight panic in his chest. He wouldn’t put it past her one bit to do that exact thing; especially once the news of Brielle and tonight came out. “Shit.”

The blonde’s eyes widened. “She’d do something like that?”

“Hell if I know. She might if she gets mad at all the attention you’re getting.”

“I’m so sorry, Alex.” She turned her eyes out the window to her right and watched the passing scenery. This whole pregnancy with Renee was going to be enough stress in itself for him and even herself. Maybe she should go back to New York if even for sake of her mind.

Alex chewed the inside of his cheek as he drove and the silence began to fill the vehicle. A hundred thoughts were going through his mind at the moment and he felt like he was winning a losing battle. The space in the SUV seemed to shrink and that familiar tightness in his chest started. He could already feel that thirst in his mouth and his hand was just itching to wrap around a cool bottle of Jack D and drink it until this pain went away and he was numb to it all. “Do you mind if we make a quick pit stop before heading back home?”

Brielle looked to him. “Oh, no, that’s fine with me.”

“Good.” He flexed his fingers on the wheels and turned the opposite direction of his house. “It won’t take long; I just wanna pick something up.”

“Sure.” She smoothed her fingers over her lap then fiddled with the slim watch on her wrist.

Alex nodded and within minutes they were pulling into the parking lot of an ABC Liquor store. He pulled into the spot closest to the door and left the engine running; the SUV in park. “Okay, I won’t be but a minute.”

Brielle eyed the storefront then shifted her eyes to her companion. “More Jack Daniels?”

“Just a couple bottles.” He pulled his wallet from his back pocket and checked the billfold for cash.

“I’m not sneaking them into your house through any windows.”

He laughed at that, letting it slowly fade at the serious expression on her face. She meant it. “You won’t have to.”

Brielle nodded then looked back to the storefront, taking in the interior of the store she could see through the large front windows.

Alex watched her a moment then pushed the driver’s door open. “Okay, sit tight, I’ll be quick.” Then he slipped from the vehicle and strode up to the store, disappearing inside.

The blonde sighed and slouched some in her seat, smoothing a hand over the small bump of her stomach; thankful that nothing had been wrong with the baby. She had been petrified when the sharp pains had shot through her lower tummy and at first had wanted to keep it to herself for fear of what it might be, but the pain had been too intense and Lily had picked up on it immediately. So she’d confessed and Denise had jumped into action; timing the pains to see how far apart they were and how severe then when walking around or heat hadn’t helped, she’d bundled Brielle up and zipped them to the hospital.

The part that had touched the expectant mother the most was that Denise hadn’t hesitated when asked if she was related to Brielle. She’d chimed in that she was the grandmother of the baby and was going to stay with the blonde for as long as she possibly could and if she couldn’t then they would probably need a forklift to physically move her away. That had brought tears to her eyes and she had gripped the older woman’s hand so tight it had left small indentions, but Denise hadn’t winced or complained a bit.

And during the ultrasound and tests they’d done, when Brielle was on edge and nearly panicking at the thought of losing the baby, it had been Denise who had calmed her and talked to her, reassuring her that the doctor’s were doing everything they could and it would all turn out okay in the end. Brielle hadn’t wanted to believe her, because how would she possibly know that, but it had. The pain had been nothing but stretching ligaments and the baby was okay; Denise had been right. And the blonde was confident now that the two would get along and there weren’t going to be any issues or drama. Which she was especially thankful for because that is the last thing Alex needed. He had enough going on and she did not want any hand in adding to it. Even if it was something she couldn’t control.

The sound of a cell phone jarred her thoughts and Brielle frowned, peering around her. Where was that coming from? She certainly didn’t own a cell. Glancing over to Alex’s seat, she spied his iPhone and reached for it. It must have slipped from his pocket when he got out his wallet. Maybe it was Denise calling to find out why she had beaten them home. But it was Renee’s name that flashed across the screen and the blonde bit her bottom lip, her gaze lifting to the store. Should she answer it?

Luckily the ringing stopped before she could decide and she reached to set it on the console between the two seats, jerking when the ringtone started up again. Flipping it over, Renee’s name once more flashed on the screen. Brielle glanced toward the store again and was just setting it down when a thought entered her mind; what if something was wrong? Maybe she should answer it. Against her better judgment, she pressed the talk button and lifted the phone to her ear.

“Hello?”

There was a pause then Renee’s voice flowed out, “Who the hell is this?”

Brielle wet her bottom lip, her eyes trained on the storefront glass of the liquor store. “Brielle.”

“What the fuck are you doing answering my fiancé’s phone?”

“Um, Alex ran into the store for a minute and left his phone in the car.”

“Heh, figures he’d run out of me to go to you.”

Brielle frowned. “He wasn’t running out on you; I was in the hospital.”

“Yeah, sure; bet you’re not even pregnant.”

The blonde’s brows rose. “Um, we’ve had ultrasounds done. I am pregnant.”

She could hear Renee’s hatred in her voice and it made her cringe, “Yeah, yeah, but it’s not Alex’s, is it? You’re just trying to ride his coattails.”

“Um, I’ll let Alex know you called.” It had been a big mistake to pick up the phone.

“Don’t you dare hang up that phone,” Renee ordered and Brielle paused, shifting her eyes to the device. “I wanted to talk to you anyway.”

Brielle wet her bottom lip. “About what?”

“About you living in my fiancé’s home; I think you need to move out.”

“What?” She frowned. “Alex invited me.”

“Yeah, he can’t help himself; he reaches out to everyone. One time he nearly let some homeless people stay with him, but fortunately I stepped in. Oh, what am I saying; you’re homeless too.”

The blonde felt that comment cut her. “Until Alex asks me to leave, I’m not going anywhere.”

“Well, no worries, because we’ll be married soon, before this baby is born, and then I’ll be living there too and I can guarantee that you won’t be,” she spoke it so casual, but Brielle could hear the underlying hatred.

It was on the tip of her tongue to tell the other woman where she could stick it, but she held back; she was trying not to create more drama. “I’ll tell Alex you called,” she replied with instead then cut the phone off before Renee could object. Tossing it back into the driver’s seat, she rubbed her temples and closed her eyes. That woman was a headache and a half and it was no wonder Alex was drinking. She could drive anyone to drink and the blonde would certainly have gone for a swallow had she not been pregnant.

The sound of the door being opened came and Brielle glanced behind her to see Alex tucking a brown paper bag into the backseat of the SUV. He then joined her in the front and set his wallet and phone on the console between the seats. “Okay, you ready?”

Brielle nodded and smoothed her hair. “Yes.”

“Sweet.” He grinned at her then got buckled and soon they were pulling out of the parking lot and heading for his place.

The blonde rode along in silence, fiddling with her fingers and trying to figure what to say about Renee’s phone call. Finally, she just blurted it out, “Renee called while you were in the store. I answered thinking something might be wrong.”

Alex shifted his eyes to her then back to the road. “What did she say?”

“That I’m lying about this being your child and that she wants me out of your house.”

“What?!” He exploded, turning to her and giving the wheel a hard jerk.

“Watch out!” Brielle cried out as the SUV cut sharply to the right and scraped the curb.

Alex tried to correct his mistake, but overestimated the distance and the vehicle lunged into the opposite lane, heading right for an oncoming truck.

Brielle screamed a warning as the truck blasted its horn and swerved sharply to its right. Alex cursed out loud and jerked the wheel again managing to bring them back onto their side of the road, narrowly missing the other vehicle. “Shit!” He steered over to the side of the road and put the SUV into park; his hands trembling and his heart feeling like it had slid right down into his toes. “Are you okay?”

It felt like every muscle in her body was shaking and her eyes were as wide as saucers, the pounding of her heart loud in her ears. Not able to speak, she managed a slight nod.

“I’m so sorry.” He ran a hand through his hair and swallowed hard. “Are you sure you’re alright?”

Brielle put a hand to her chest. “Ye…yeah.” She met his gaze and blinked her wide and frightened eyes. “What…what was that?”

He shook his head, mentally kicking his ass. “I overcorrected myself. But we’re okay, right? You’re okay.”

“Yeah.” Her hands smoothed over her tummy. “Though, I think I might have peed myself a little.”

He blinked. “Seriously?”

She chuckled low. “No, not seriously, but I nearly did.”

“I’m sorry; that’s never going to happen again.”

“Good, because I think my life flashed before my eyes; or what little of a life I have, anyway.”

Alex reached and took her hand in his. “I’m sorry.”

Brielle chuckled and gave his hand a squeeze. “You’ve said that like three times already; I believe you and it’s okay. Nothing happened, we’re both good.”

“Right.” He nodded some. “I didn’t mean to freak out there with what Renee said.”

“I’m surprised you’re so shocked; even I knew she hated me.”

“Well, yeah, but…” he sighed and shook his head some, “I’m sorry she does; you’re a beautiful and wonderful person and she’s just so angry about everything and that’s why she hates you. If she really knew you, she’d like you.” A small grin tugged at his lips. “I do.”

“You’re not supposed to. You’re supposed to like her and want to be with her and want to kiss her; not me.”

“I do like her.”

Brielle lifted a brow. “Do you? Or do you feel obligated to her because of the baby?”

A frown creased his forehead. “I love Renee; sure, we have our problems, but what couple doesn’t?”

He had her there considering she wasn’t even in a relationship to know. “You’re right, I’m sorry. What is going on between you and Renee is your business and not mine.”

“It’s okay, you don’t have to apologize. I’m sorry that she said those things to you and of course you’re not leaving my home.” His expression was serious and he looked like he meant every word he was saying. “And you don’t have to until you’re ready and I told you I’d help you get set up in a place and I will.”

“I know.” The blonde gave a small nod. “And I hope to be out of there before you two get married.”

That frownline appeared again. “What?”

“Yeah, she mentioned that you guys will be getting married before the baby is born.”

His frown deepened. “We hadn’t decided on that for sure. I can’t believe she said that to you.”

“She hates me, Alex; can you blame her? She’s trying to hurt me and run me off.”

“She never used to be like that.” He rubbed his eyes and gave a heavy sigh, hating the sick feeling that was slowly building in his stomach.

Brielle pouted and touched his arm. “I can still go back with Lily.”

“You’re not going back.”

She bit her bottom lip at the scowl on his face. “I know; I was half joking.”

He sighed and turned to look out the front windshield, completely at a loss for words. Renee’s behavior was surprising to him and he was embarrassed that it was happening. Not only did it make her look like a horrible person, but it made him look the fool for being with someone like that. As if he had no idea how to pick them. She had never been that hateful or vengeful before and he didn’t know how to explain it or even how to begin to understand it. Bringing it up to her was out of the question, for it’d only start a fight or she’d deny it entirely, maybe play nice a few days then be back to her tricks. What was he supposed to do? How did he keep the peace between the two women and not lose his mind? Maybe he needed to talk to his mom; she always seemed to know what to do. He hoped it held true for this situation as well.

“How ‘bout we go home.”

Alex glanced over to Brielle and noted the unspoken compassion in her eyes that seemed to be telling him that it would be okay. Grateful to have one person who seemed to understand, he just nodded then shifted the SUV into drive, checked for traffic and pulled back out into the roadway. Home sounded pretty damn good to him at the moment and the Jack Daniels in the backseat sounded even better.