- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy! :)

“So, what are your plans for today?” Denise questioned her son and Brielle the following morning as they finished the last of their breakfast. She’d woken up early and decided that the three of them had needed some pancakes, bacon, sausage and scrambled eggs. Mrs. Morenci had weekends off, so she’d done the necessary shopping and now they were out on the deck off the sunroom enjoying a late morning meal. It was a beautiful day despite being the middle of December and long sleeve shirts had been enough to keep the breeze from chilling them. The sun was shaded from their eyes with the large umbrella that rose from the middle of the table and expanded all around and the peacefulness all around made it the perfect setting to enjoy a quiet breakfast.

Alex glanced over to the blonde then looked to his mom. “I thought I’d take Brielle and we’d go pick out a Christmas tree.”

“Really?” Brielle’s eyes widened as she stared at him. She hadn’t had a decent Christmas since she’d left home and the idea of picking a tree and decorating it, preparing the house for the holidays gave her the warm fuzzies inside.

He grinned at the look on her face. “Really; and I thought while we were doing that,” he cast his eyes over toward his mom, “that you might pull the decorations from the attic and you could start decorating if you want. Brie and I will join you once we get the tree.”

Denise gaze shifted between the two and a broad smile broke out over her face. “I think that sounds wonderful.”

“Great!” Alex matched her smile then finished up his eggs, wiping his mouth and setting the napkin to the side. “That was delicious, Mom.”

“Thank you, baby.”

“Yes, it was very good,” Brielle chimed in as she gathered her plate and milk glass. “Would you like any help cleaning up?”

“Oh, no, I got it, Brielle. You and Alex go get ready and then go get you a tree.”

“Are you sure?”

Denise smiled and nodded her head. “Yes, I’m sure. Not get you two.” She waved her napkin at them.

Alex chuckled and he and Brielle took their dishes to the sink then parted ways to get ready for their outing. They met up twenty minutes later then it was out into his SUV and off they went, pulling from the drive and through the newly fixed gates the men had repaired early that morning. Soon they were on the freeway and heading north from the city.

Brielle glanced around at their surroundings then turned to the tattooed man as he maneuvered them around the traffic. “Where are we gonna get a tree from?”

“I usually get ‘em from this tree lot up this way a bit.” He motioned ahead of them.

“A tree lot?”

Alex glanced over and chuckled at the look of disbelief on her face. “Something wrong with a tree lot?”

“It’s just…it’s so not the Christmas spirit.”

“It’s not?”

“No,” she shook her head, “not at all. You’re supposed to go tramping through the snow with your handsaw and take hours searching for that right Christmas tree, looking over tree after tree until you finally spot it, out there waiting for you. Then you take some time and a lot of muscle and sweat to cut it down just right, so you don’t ruin the trunk. And finally, you bring it back to the front where they wrap it for you and load it onto the top of your vehicle and you’re off for home.”

Alex listened to that as he drove, a smile etching over his face at the thought of Brielle trying to cut down her own tree then lugging it all by herself through a forest. And then he was laughing, leaning forward some over the steering wheel.

Brielle chuckled some. “What?” She reached and tucked some hair behind her ear. “Is that stupid? Wanting to cut down my own tree?”

“Not at all.” He cleared his throat, resisting the urge to laugh more. “I was just picturing you tramping through the woods in some big boots, trying to drag a tree behind you and it made me laugh.”

She laughed low. “I could never do that myself; but we could probably do it together.”

His gaze shifted her way. “You want to find your own tree and cut it down?” Brielle nodded and the look on her face made it hard for him to resist. “Alright, though I have no idea where one is and I don’t own a saw.”

She giggled low. “We’ll stop and get what we need. But first,” leaning toward the GPS she began the task of locating the nearest Christmas tree farm, “we find a location.”

Alex couldn’t contain his smile and he let her do her thing, enjoying the excitement she was exuberating and he found it starting to rub off on himself as well. By the time they had left Home Depot with their saws, twine and Christmas tree stand with quilt he was feeling like he could skip along right with her. They loaded the necessities up and soon were on their way to Nancy’s Ranch; a Christmas tree farm that had pre cut, but also cut your own Monterey Pines. Which is exactly what they were going to do.

Soon, they had pulled into the farm and unloaded the items they would need. Following the signs to the Monterey Pines, Alex and Brielle soon found themselves amongst row after row of perfectly formed pine trees.

“Wow,” Brielle breathed out, doing a slow circle and taking it in. It was like magic to her; to see all the green trees and it brought back memories of Christmas’ from when she was young, before she was old enough to realize how petty and horrible her parents truly were. That age where no mom could do wrong and dad was the hero. Those were the happy times in her life and instead of wishing to go back, she only hoped she could do the same for her baby, with one slight difference; continue it all the way to adulthood. Brielle didn’t want to make the same mistakes her parents had so she vouched right then and there, to be the best mother she possibly could and always support her child’s decision.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

Alex’s voice pulled her from her thoughts and she looked to him, a smile forming over her lips. “It’s just missing the snow.”

“You like snow?”

Brielle fell in step with him and together they strolled along one of the paths between two rows of trees. “It doesn’t feel like Christmas without snow; but I could deal with just cold too; because sometimes there isn’t always snow right on Christmas.”

“I think the only time I had snow at Christmas was when I was visiting New York.”

“Not even when you were little?”

Alex shook his head, bringing the handsaw up to his shoulder, the blade facing out. “No, I grew up in Florida. I didn’t see snow for the first time until I joined the band and we traveled to Europe.”

“Wow,” she glanced to him, “that’s wild.”

He gave a small shrug. “It was normal for me.”

“I suppose it was.” She slowed her pace and glanced around at the pine trees. “See one you like?”

“Hm,” he surveyed the area then strode over to a large one that was a deep green color and at least seven feet tall, “how ‘bout this one?”

Brielle tilted her head and checked it over then a brilliant smile lit up her face and she joined him. “It’s perfect.”

“Yeah?”

“Yes,” she giggled and crouched, gently moving some branches out of the way, “let’s cut it down.”

Alex chuckled at her excitement then knelt down next to her. “How do we do that?”

“Ummmm,” she tapped her chin, “well you just lie on the ground then use the saw here at the base of the trunk,” as she spoke, she patted the tree trunk where it met the ground. “But you have to be careful so you don’t cut yourself or cause the tree to fall the wrong way and crush us.”

He would have thought she was serious had her eyes not been twinkling. He laughed low. “That won’t really happen, will it?”

Brielle shrugged. “You never know. Okay,” she shifted some and sank fully onto the ground, not caring that she was sitting right in the dirt, “the saw is big enough so if you hold one side, I hold the other and we can go back and forth. I don’t think it’ll be too hard.”

“Are you sure this is safe for you to be doing?”

She chuckled and motioned him around the tree to where he should sit. “I’ll be fine. We’re just cutting down a tree; I’m not running a marathon or climbing Mt. Everest.”

“Which are both things you won’t be doing while pregnant,” Alex added as he got himself settled on the ground.

“Darn, I was hoping we could do that next week.” She grinned at him then waited while he got the saw situated and had her take the other end.

“Okay, let’s hope we can do this.”

Brielle chuckled. “We’ll be fine; just don’t jerk it too hard, I’m not as strong as you are.”

He sent her a grin and winked then together they went to work.

It wasn’t an easy task by any means, but it wasn’t too difficult and thirty minutes later they were finally dragging the tree back to the front to have it wrapped and tied onto the top of the SUV.

“That wasn’t so bad, was it?” Brielle questioned as she helped maneuver the tree around the curve in the path that’d lead them to where they’d need to go.

Alex glanced to her, a grin on his face that he couldn’t wipe off. That had been some experience and he knew his shoulders and arms were going to be so sore tomorrow, but he didn’t care. He’d just cut down his first Christmas tree and now they were on their way to get it home so they could decorate. This was turning into one of the best days of his life and that really meant something considering all the wonderful things he’d gotten to encounter.

“Not at all, but I hope you didn’t overdo it.”

She glanced to herself then back to him. “I don’t think I did; I let you do most of the work.”

Alex laughed. “So that’s why the tree nearly fell over on me, because you weren’t doing anything.”

“Hey, I saved your ass.”

He laughed again and gently nudged her with his arm. “You did a good job back there.”

“Thanks and so did you, especially considering it was your very first tree.”

His grin grew. “Thanks, I’m pretty proud of myself.”

Brielle smiled. “You should be. Now, let’s get this thing wrapped and paid for then back to your place. And on the way, can we stop for some pizza? I suddenly want some extra cheese with mushrooms and pepperoni.” Then she made a face. “I don’t even like pepperoni.”

Alex chuckled and wiped the sweat from his brow that he’d worked up while cutting the tree down. “How are you gonna eat it if you don’t like it?”

“I don’t know, but I really want some,” she laughed low, “so we’ll find out.”

~*~*~*~*~

A couple hours later found Alex, Brielle and Denise in the living room finishing up the tree. An empty pizza box lay on the coffee table and boxes filled with different Christmas decorations were strewn about the floor. Denise had started with the mantle above the fireplace then moved on to the banister of the stairs. Garland and lights and snow globes were strewn about giving the house a wintery wonderland sort of feeling. And now the tree was nearly finished and once lit up, it’d be the perfect finishing touch.

“This is going to be so beautiful,” Brielle exclaimed softly as she stepped back and looked the tree over. Twinkling lights and candy canes, Christmas bulbs, silver garland and other Christmas ornaments decorated the beautiful pine they’d cut down.

“It’s something, isn’t it?” Alex stepped beside her, surveying the scene. “I think this is the prettiest tree I’ve had yet.”

“And it’s not even plugged in yet. Wait until the lights are on and the entire room is bathed in the twinkling lights.”

“Gonna be beautiful.” He grinned and touched her back.

Denise smiled as she watched the two. “Tomorrow, Brie and I are going shopping.”

“Oh yeah?” Alex lifted his brows and looked between the two women. “Gonna get some Christmas gifts?”

Brielle giggled lowly. “Maybe, though I don’t know what to get you. You have like…everything.”

“You don’t have to get me a thing.”

“But I want to. You’ve been so wonderful to me and I owe you something.”

He glanced to his mother then back to the blonde. “You don’t owe me a thing, babe. You’re here, that’s all I need.”

She smiled at that. “I still want to get you a little something.”

How could he deny that face? “Alright, and speaking of gifts, is there anything you had in mind that you might like?”

“Oh,” her blue eyes widened some, “I hadn’t really thought about it; but you’ve already done so much for me, I don’t need any gifts.”

Alex chuckled. “Now, you can’t tell me not to buy you anything if you’re gonna go buying me gifts.”

“True.” She tilted her head some. “Okay, but nothing big, I don’t need anything big.”

“Okay, shall we put the star on top?” Denise spoke up, breaking through their conversation.

“Ooh, yes,” Brielle clasped her hands together, a bright smile on her face. “Then we can turn the lights on.”

Alex grinned. “You want me to put it at top, Mom?” He brought the step ladder from around the other side of the tree.

“Sure, honey, but please be careful.” She handed it over and watched as her son climbed the stepstool and carefully set the star at the top, making sure it was secure before coming back down.

“There we go.” He smoothed his shirt and folded the stepstool, setting it off to the side.

“Alright, is everyone ready?” Denise moved over and flipped the overhead lights off then crouched at the outlet the tree was to be plugged into.

Brielle nodded and joined Alex, slipping her arm around his. “Yes, light this baby up.”

“Here we go,” the older woman stuck the plug into the socket and the room was bathed with the twinkling lights; warm hues of red and green, blue, yellow and white.

It was beautiful and Brielle could just feel the Christmas spirit in the room. She stared in awe at the tree, trying to remember the last time she’d had one; not since she lived at home. And even then it wasn’t decorated anything like this one. When she became a teenager, her parents bought a fake tree and they’d erect it every year, throw some white lights on it and a few bulbs and that’d be it. Brielle missed the decorating and the Christmas carols and making gingerbread houses and Christmas cookies.

“Do we have any Christmas music?” She turned to find Alex watching her, a peculiar look on his face. “What?”

He just shook his head and looked over to his mom. “You can put on some music if you want. I think the Christmas ones are in the bottom of the cabinet. I have a few phone calls I need to make so you guys just help yourselves.” Then he excused himself and slipped from the room.

Once inside his office, Alex sank down into his chair and rubbed his forehead. He was getting in too deep with Brielle and it was starting to scare him. Yes, he knew he was attracted to her and he liked the way she made him feel, but he could only see trouble if they continued on this path. It had taken all his willpower to not pull her into his arms as she stood in awe at the scene of the lit Christmas tree. He’d already taken it too far with the kisses and while a part of him wanted to let it take its natural course, he knew Brielle was right; it’d only cause more drama that they didn’t need. Besides, he had a fiancée he needed to be concentrating on and trying to decide what he needed to do. She wasn’t going to let up on this marriage thing and he didn’t know how to handle it. How could he tell her no when he’d promised her yes?

Leaning back some in his chair, Alex rifled through his bottom cabinet drawer and pulled out the hidden bottle of Jack Daniels. His thumb smoothed over the label as he studied it, debating on rather he wanted a drink or not. The thirst for the potent liquid was urging him on, but his conscience was shouting to ignore it. But it’d feel so good and he was already imagining how it would calm his nerves and help him think more clearly. Maybe he’d come up with a solution to all of his problems. What a lie; he’d only drink more and more until he was drunk off his ass and falling out of his chair. With an angry scowl, he shoved the bottle back into the drawer and slammed it shut.

“Alex?”

Glancing to the door, Alex saw his mother stick her head in and was thankful he’d decided not to have a drink. “What’s up?”

“I know you said you had some phone calls, but there’s someone here to see you.”

He lifted a brow, hoping it wasn’t Renee. He needed a little more time before he faced her. “Who?”

Denise shifted her gaze toward the hallway then back to her son. “Renee’s father.”

Alex nearly fell out of his chair. “Her father?”

“Yes, he said he needed to talk to you.”

Wonderful, one guess what it was about. Rubbing the bridge of his nose, he waved a hand. “You can show him in.”

Denise sent him a sympathetic look. “If you need me, just let me know.”

Alex nodded and thanked her then watched as she disappeared.

A moment later, a tall man with broad shoulders, a thick chest and a head full of dark hair strode into the room. He looked like a man on a mission and someone you certainly didn’t want to mess with. Closing the door securely behind him, he turned to his host. “Hello, Alexander.”

Alex rose from the desk and moved around it to greet the older man. “Mr. Kemp, it’s nice to see you again.”

The two shook hands. “How many times have I told you to call me Charles?”

He chuckled low and motioned him to have a seat. “I know, please, have a seat.” He motioned toward the chair on the other side of the desk. “Would you like something to drink?”

Charles Kemp shook his head and sank down into the chair. “No, I’m good, but thank you.”

Alex nodded and returned to his seat. “So, to what do I owe this pleasure?”

“I think you know what this call is about.” He leveled his gaze on the younger man.

Alex wet his bottom lip, his heart beginning to beat a bit faster. “Um, I have a pretty good idea.”

“Good,” Charles leaned forward some in the chair, “then I’ll just jump right into what I want to say to you.”

The other gentleman watched him with a wary expression. He had the sudden image of Renee’s father hauling him up over the desk by the collar of his shirt and threatening to break every bone in his body if he didn’t do as Renee requested. Swallowing hard, he spoke in a hesitant tone, “…What’s that?”

“You got my daughter pregnant. She’s told us. She’s also told us that you don’t seem to want to marry her anymore.” A frown line appeared on his forehead. “And that upsets us greatly, Alex, after all, you’d already promised that you would and now you’re balking at the idea.”

Alex felt his stomach rolling and rubbed the palms of his hands on his jeans. “I know I did and I meant it at the time, sir.”

“Then what’s the problem? We know about this young girl you’ve also managed to knock up through your indiscretions, but that shouldn’t hamper what you’ve told my daughter. She’s the innocent in all this and you have made her feel like the guilty party. Do you know how upset she is? She was counting on a life with you and you’re pulling the rug right out from under her feet.” He leaned forward some in the chair and Alex winced at the expression in his eyes; this man meant business and he didn’t care how he had to go about showing it. “You’re going to leave my daughter alone and pregnant with your child and that does not sit well with me, at all, Alexander.”

The young man rubbed his chest, feeling the pounding of his heart hard against it. “Um…sir,” he spoke slowly, trying to formulate the words in his head. “I have a lot going on right now and…I just don’t think rushing into a marriage is the right thing to do.”

“That’s neither here nor there, young man. You’re making Renee pay for your mistakes and that’s not right. Instead of shrinking from your responsibilities you need to act like a man and do the right thing.”

A frown fell over his face. “Shrinking from my responsibilities? I am doing the right thing, sir. I’m trying to take care of both women that are having my children-”

“Both women?” The older man interrupted him with fire in his eyes. “I think you need to reevaluate your actions, Mr. McLean, because that is not what you’re doing at all. You’ve taken this other young lady into your care and have left your own fiancée out in the cold.”

Alex’s frown deepened and he opened his mouth to respond, but Charles cut him off again, “My daughter is due late August and she will not bring a child into this world as an unmarried woman. So I suggest you get your priorities in order and your ass into gear and figure out when this wedding is going to be. Because so help me, you do not want me coming back here.”

The look on his face and the tone of his voice told him that Renee’s father meant business. But he didn’t like being backed into a corner and threatened. “Mr. Kemp,” he spoke, trying to keep his voice even. “I know you think you have your daughter’s best interests in mind, and I mean this with the upmost respect, but my life is not your business. What goes on between Renee and I is between us, not us and you or anyone else. The decisions I make are going to be what’s best for me. I appreciate that you came over here, but I’m going to ask you to leave now.”

A look of scorn passed over Charles Kemp’s face and he sat back and smoothed his button down shirt. “Very well, Mr. McLean.” He stood from his chair and met the younger man’s eyes. “Just remember what I said.”

Alex didn’t let his gaze waver despite the sick feeling in his stomach. “And you remember what I said.”

The older man frowned at that then buttoned his suit jacket and strode purposefully from the room.

He waited until he was sure his fiancée’s father was gone before he sagged back into the chair and ran a hand over his face. Well, that was just a wonderful surprise from her dad. What a perfect mark on the great day he was having. Wait until his mother found out what Charles has said, correction; what he had threatened. If he knew what was good for him, he wouldn’t tell Denise because she’d probably march herself over to their house and tell them where they could shove it. But he was expecting her to appear in the office any minute for a summary of what had gone down. She has sensed it wasn’t a friendly visit and she’d want to know the end results.

And because of that, he didn’t reach for the bottle hidden away in his desk drawer despite the strong craving he was experiencing.

However, it wasn’t Denise that knocked at the door a few moments later. It was Brielle and she slipped into the room when Alex gave the nod that she could.

“Hey,” she fiddled at her sweater with her fingers, “how ya feeling?”

His deep, brown eyes studied her. “Did my mom send you in here?”

A half grin covered her lips. “Guilty as charged.” Then she moved and sank into the chair Charles had vacated. “She told me that man was Renee’s father. I’m sure he wasn’t here to congratulate you on the baby news.”

“No,” Alex chuckled low and shook his head, “he most certainly wasn’t.”

She nodded and tucked her hands beneath her legs. “What’d he say?”

The tattooed man blew a puff of air between his legs. “Basically told me that I better marry Renee and before the baby comes or else.”

“Or else what?”

“Hell if I know; or else he’d kick my ass…make my life a living hell, burn my house down.”

“Oh my gosh, how horrible!” She frowned and he found himself smiling at the expression on her face.

“I’m not going to let it bother me or persuade my decision.”

“Good.” Brielle nodded firmly. “You need to do what’s right for you and don’t let anyone convince you otherwise.”

He shook his head. “Oh, no worries there; I’ve never let anyone tell me what to do.”

She nodded some and fell silent, studying him a moment. Finally, she tilted her head and spoke, “So, does this mean you’re rethinking marrying Renee?”

“I,” he faltered some and wet his bottom lip, drumming his fingers on the smooth surface of his desk. “I can’t marry her before the baby is born; that’s just...too soon.”

“But…after?”

He sighed, slouching more in the chair and turning his gaze to the window.

Brielle was quiet for a moment, his silence telling her what she needed to know. “I see.” She smoothed her hands over the small bump in her tummy then rose from the chair. “I’m gonna go help your mom make some Christmas cookies.”

Alex blinked and looked to her. “Oh, okay.” He shouldn’t have been surprised by her reaction, he had a feeling he knew she was into him as much as he was into her. Yet it did surprise him and he felt a sting inside at the look on her face she was so desperately trying to hide.

She nodded and stepped away from the chair. “You should probably call Renee…cuz I’m sure her dad isn’t going to tell her anything good. And if…you want to save your relationship, you need to make amends.” Then she headed for the door.

He watched her go with a heavy feeling in the pit of his stomach. She paused a moment at the door and he leaned forward, expecting her to whirl and say something more, but she didn’t. She continued through the doorway and disappeared out of sight. Shit. What the hell was his problem? He knew he didn’t want to marry Renee anymore, but it wasn’t something he could admit and he didn’t know why. And he knew he’d hurt Brielle’s feelings though she would probably never admit it.

His head was starting to hurt just thinking it all over. He’d really gotten himself into a bad situation and now he was stuck. What the hell was a guy to do? Shifting his gaze to the bottom drawer of his desk, he reached for the handle. The only thing that could help him at that moment, that’s what; some Jack D.

~*~*~*~*~

Two hours later there was a knock on his door and Alex glanced up in a drunken daze. Shit, his mother was going to come in and yell at him then try and send him back to rehab. “Yeah?”

Brielle stuck her head in. “Um, sorry to bother you, but your mom sent me in to check on you again.” She chuckled low. “Told me it’d be better if I did.”

He had to agree. Dropping the empty bottle back into the lower drawer, he pushed it shut with his foot then swiveled the chair to face her. “I’m drunk, it’s good thing she didn’t come in here.”

“I think she kind of figured that.” She slipped into the room and shut the door quietly behind her. “She had this…sad look on her face.”

“She hates when I drink.”

“Are you a mean drunk?”

“No,” Alex shook his head and patted his thigh for her to sit, “I just do it too much.”

Brielle remained standing, close to the door. “Maybe you should work on that.”

“I tried once.” He made a face and shook his head. “Didn’t like it, so I quit trying.”

“Oh.” She pursed her lips and studied him.

Alex sighed and dropped his head back against the back of the chair. “Being drunk beats being sober sometimes.”

“Are you trying to forget what’s going on?”

“I try, but it doesn’t always work.”

Slowly, Brielle moved closer to the desk. “You know…I don’t know how well drinking to forget your problems works, but it doesn’t sound very good to me. Besides, once you’re sober again, they’re all still there.”

“Yeah, no shit.” He sighed and closed his eyes, wishing he’d stuck more than one bottle in the drawer.

“Well, excuse me.” She frowned and tugged on the hem of her shirt. “Anyway, I was just checking on you. I’ll tell your mother you’re nice and drunk.”

His head snapped up at that. “No!”

Brielle jerked some at the ferocity in his voice. Quickly, she recovered. “Oh, right, your mom can’t know about your drinking. Can I give you a piece of advice?”

Alex frowned at that. “What?”

“Next time you want to drink; do it somewhere else and don’t tell me about it. Your mom is a wonderful person and I don’t want to have to lie to her anymore.” Then she turned on her heel and strode from the room.

Damnit, he sure had a knack for pissing people off; and Brielle at that. Wonderful. If he hadn’t been drunk he would have gone after her, but he wasn’t in the mood to apologize and she wouldn’t want to hear it anyway. He’d just have to make it up to her tomorrow and hope she forgave him. He already had one woman pissed off at him; he couldn’t afford to have another. Not to mention, she was the one person he didn’t want to hurt. Look at what a great job he was doing with that. Sometimes he was such a fuck up.
Chapter End Notes:
Okay, so this chp took a bit of a different path then I had intended. I was originally going to ask what you think Brielle should get Alex for Christmas...so any ideas would be helpful as well as how you think it ended. Thanks so much! :)