- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Glad to see some of my regulars reviewing again. :) Enjoy this one.

Brielle managed to avoid Alex all day Sunday. Unfortunately, she couldn’t hide from him on Monday; he’d set up some interviews for her and she really needed the job so she was going to have to play nice for the day. It wasn’t that she was angry at him as she was hurt by his actions and what he had said. She had tried to keep herself from falling for him, but he was just irresistible and he had been so insistent on kissing her every time she turned out, so really, it was his fault. Or at least that’s what she told herself. What she should have done was listened to her own lectures when she talked to Lily and not let herself be pulled in by his charm and strong persona. She should have behaved herself and not crossed the line from friends to …whatever the hell it was they were. He was her baby daddy and that’s all it was ever going to be.

Alex was still going to marry Renee after everything she’d put him through and there was nothing Brielle could do about it. Besides, did she want a man who ran back to someone like his fiancée after the way she treated him? Not a chance in hell. She wanted someone who could stand up for themselves, who knew what they wanted and did what they had to in order to obtain it. Not someone who drank themselves under the table to forget their problems and submitted to a marriage they didn’t want. He was only fooling himself and it would come back and bite him in the ass eventually. So she would step back behind the line and make sure she stayed there. There wouldn’t be any more stolen kisses or tender moments.

And so, Monday morning, Brielle greeted Alex with less than stellar enthusiasm and behaved herself in a cordial manner. She had put everything behind her and was going to focus on nothing but what lay ahead; like getting a good job and finding her own place. The sooner she could get out of Alex’s place and be able to stand on her own two feet, the better.

Alex didn’t say much as he drove the blonde to her interviews. She had three scheduled that day; one at a recording studio as a receptionist, one as a hostess at a very nice restaurant in Beverly Hills and one at a five star hotel as a desk clerk. None of them particularly interested Brielle, none of them had anything to do with her photography passion, but she wasn’t going to complain. A job was a job and money was money and she needed it badly. Besides, photography was not her thing she’d been hearing over and over and despite loving it, it was something she might just have to give up completely.

The interviews lasted from twenty minutes to almost an hour and Brielle wasn’t expecting Alex to wait around for each one, but he did and she’d find him in the lobby messing with his iPhone afterward. She didn’t say much, just thanked him and told him she was ready to go and he’d pocket the phone then follow her out to his SUV. He stopped for lunch between the restaurant and the hotel and though she wasn’t hungry, she forced down a few bites so he wouldn’t get onto her about her diet.

Alex seemed to know she was upset with him for he didn’t try to converse her in any conversations other than small talk about the weather or traffic. He asked how the interviews went and accepted her short responses before telling her that he was sure she did well and she’d get something. She thanked him and realized that it hurt just as much that he wasn’t bothering to try and talk to her as it did with his wordless admission about marrying Renee. He didn’t seem to care and she couldn’t figure out if that made her angry or sad. He had seemed to care enough that she stay in California and that she was taken care of, but she guessed that was as far as it went. Her feelings weren’t that important and obviously expendable to him.

That thought definitely angered Brielle, but she didn’t get a chance to voice it because when they returned to his place after her last interview, she found her parents seated in the living room with Denise, drinking lemonade and making pleasant conversation about the weather in California compared to Virginia.

“I couldn’t just ignore them,” Denise explained to the blonde the first chance she could. She had excused herself and joined Brielle in the kitchen when the younger woman had said she was thirsty and wanted something to drink. “Besides, I was hoping I might be able to get out of them their reasons for showing up.”

Brielle poured herself some orange juice and capped the container. “Did you?”

“No, they keep changing the subject.”

That made her frown. She tucked the juice back in the fridge and shut the door securely. “I’m not in the mood to deal with them today.”

“I’m sorry, honey, if I had known that I would have told them you weren’t available.”

“It’s okay,” she took up her glass and turned to the other woman, “I’ll deal with them. I just wish they’d go away already.”

Denise frowned. “Are you feeling okay?”

Tears began to threaten her and she had to look away before they were noticed. “I’m just tired; the interviews really wore me out.”

“I’m so sorry.” Denise moved and took her arm. “I’ll tell them to leave and you can go upstairs and lie down.”

“No,” she shook her head, “I need to go in there and face them; see if I can figure out what’s going on.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes,” she sent the older woman a grateful, but tired, smile, “thank you though.”

Denise returned the smile and gave her a motherly kiss atop her head. “You’re welcome, dear.”

Brielle waited a moment and took a few sips of her orange juice before finally pushing away from the counter. “Time to go face the music.” Together, she and Denise strolled down the hall and back into the living room.

It was not a very pleasant surprise to find Renee had arrived while they’d been in the kitchen.

Renee didn’t hide her discontent on seeing the blonde one bit. “I thought you’d be out trying to find some kind of a job; I think I saw help wanted ad for a prostitute this morning. Bet if you go down to the corner, someone will hook you up.”

Brielle didn’t even blink. “Stop being a bitch.” Then she looked at her parents. “You know, I don’t really believe your whole 'we miss you, we want you back in our lives’ routine, so maybe you ought to tell me the real reason you showed up here.”

No one in the room spoke and the silence hung heavy in the air. The seconds seemed to tick by and then suddenly everyone was talking at once.

“Are you seriously going to let her talk to me like that?!”

“Brielle, we are telling you the truth!”

“We’re your parents, we love you.”

“Shut up, Renee, what you said was uncalled for.”

The only one who remained silent was Alex and he just observed everyone with a watchful eye.

“Okay, everybody, stop!” The blonde held her hands out in a ‘stop’ motion.

All mouths closed, but then Renee scowled and spoke again, “These are your parents?” She turned her angry glare toward Chloe and Joshua. “You’re here to take Brielle back to your home, right? I’m so glad, because she’s ruining my relationship and Alex and I are trying to plan a wedding before our child is born.”

Chloe looked stunned. “You’re pregnant too?”

The brunette nodded. “Yes, and your daughter is trying to fill my fiancé’s head with garbage so he freaks out and won’t marry me.”

“We’d love to take Brielle home,” Joshua spoke up.

“I’m not going anywhere.” She placed her hands on her hips and frowned at everyone then her gaze leveled with Renee’s. “And you, chill out for five seconds please, Alex is still planning on marrying you, so relax.”

Renee’s eyes widened and Alex frowned. “He is?” She looked to him. “You are? I mean, of course you are; you did promise me you would. I have the ring already.” She flashed the diamond and giggled. “Wait until I tell my father.”

Alex’s frown deepened. “Renee,” then he seemed to think better and his gaze landed on Brielle, “Brielle…”

She arched a brow at him.

He sighed and shook his head then stood. “I’m going outside for a smoke.”

“I’ll come with.” Renee nearly leapt to her feet. “I can call my daddy and we can discuss what month is best.”

Brielle resisted the urge to roll her eyes. “Yeah, tell him to rent the country club…but make sure you don’t wear white; that’d be telling a lie. Red would suit you best.”

“Why you little…”

Renee started for her but Alex reached and caught her arm. “Let’s go outside, Renee.” Then he tugged her from the room and out of sight.

“Well,” Denise spoke up as their exit left a thick silence in the room.

Chloe sighed. “Brielle, we would love nothing more than for you to come back to Virginia with us. Let us take care of you; you’re our daughter and you’re having a child. That’s not going to be easy, especially out here on your own.”

“She won’t be alone,” Denise frowned at that, “my son is out here and he’s making sure she’s taken care of.”

“Your son is going to be getting married and having a baby with his fiancée slash wife, how much care can he give my daughter?”

“Stop calling me your daughter!” Brielle exploded at Chloe. “You lost that privilege when you disowned me.”

Chloe looked taken back and Joshua frowned. “Don’t talk to your mother that way.”

“She’s not my mother,” the blonde spit out.

“I’ll always be your mother, Brielle, no matter how much you try to ignore that!”

“You need to leave,” she pointed toward the direction of the foyer, “and you need to take your husband with you. Go back to Virginia; I’m done with you both.”

“You don’t mean that.” Joshua’s frown grew more.

She lifted a brow and folded her arms across her chest. “Like hell I don’t. I’m not in the mood to stand here and argue with you or anyone else. So just leave. I made up my mind and I want nothing to do with either of you.”

“You really think you’re going to be able to survive out here?” Chloe straightened the silver watch on her wrist. “Sure, Alex may be here for you now, but once his other child comes and he’s married, you’re going to be alone, Brielle, alone with a child. How do you plan on raising a child on your own? You’ll never be able to do that without some kind of help and Alex will be too busy with his real family to even care about you or that baby. And do you know how difficult it will be to find a husband? No man is going to want a packaged deal.”

“That’s enough!” Denise barked from the chair she was perched on. Anger was clearly evident on her face and she had to clasp her hands together to keep them from shaking. “I am not going to sit here and let you talk about my son in that way! He is a good man and he is going to take care of his child and his child’s mother no matter what he does or who he marries or how much time goes by! And if either of you think otherwise then I strongly suggest you keep it to yourself, because I do not want to hear another word!”

Another bout of silence fell over them, no one speaking because they didn’t know what to say. Finally, Chloe cleared her throat and gathered her handbag from next to her. “I apologize for what I said; it was wrong of me to assume those things of Alex. I’m sure he’s a wonderful person and I’m sure he will do what he can to care for my daughter and my grandchild.”

Denise nodded some, accepting the apology, but anger still clearly written on her face. “Thank you.”

Joshua motioned to his wife. “Perhaps we shall go; I think everyone needs some time to calm down.”

“Yes, you should go, go all the way back to Virginia,” Brielle spoke up.

He frowned. “We aren’t giving up on you, Rie.”

“I wish you would.”

“Okay, that’s enough,” Chloe interrupted them before they could start another argument. “Let’s go, Joshua. Let’s give Brie some time to calm down; obviously she’s feeling very emotional; pregnancy does that.”

It took all of the blonde’s willpower not to mimic her mother. Instead, she took a deep breath and mentally counted to five before speaking again, “I think leaving is a good idea.”

“Alright, we’ll go,” he finally relented then rose to his feet and helped his wife stand. “But we’re not done here; I told you that we aren’t giving up and I mean that.”

Brielle didn’t say a word, just pointed toward the foyer then watched as they gave a polite goodbye to Denise and finally exited the room.

“Geeze oh petes,” she finally breathed once they were gone.

Denise’s hazel eyes were filled with concern. “Are you alright, honey?”

She sank slowly down onto the edge of the couch, feeling the tears threatening her again. “I…I don’t know.”

Quickly, the older woman joined Brielle on the couch and wrapped her arms around her, hugging her to her chest in a comforting and motherly fashion. “It’s alright, dear, just let it out.”

And so she did, pressing her face into Denise’s chest and letting her tears flow. She wasn’t even sure why she was crying, but it had to come out. It’d been building since her disagreement with Alex and the scene with her parents had made it worse. So she cried; for Alex, for her parents, for herself, for her baby. Wetting the other woman’s shirt, giving herself a headache, her shoulders jerking and face becoming red and splotchy.

Denise didn’t seem to mind any of it; just held her close and rocked her back and forth, whispering soothing words only a mother could say and letting her get it all out.

Finally, when Brielle didn’t think she had any tears left, she pulled back and took the tissue from her surrogate mother, wiping at her eyes and blowing her nose. “Thank you,” she managed out in a hiccupped and strangled tone.

“You have nothing to apologize for.” Denise reached and took up the glass or orange juice Brielle had set down earlier. “Here, take a sip of this.”

She did as requested then lowered the glass to her lap, hiccupping and frowning at how it hurt her chest. “I hate hiccups.”

“I do too.”

“They hurt.” She rubbed her chest and glanced around the room, wondering if Alex was still outside with Renee. They were probably making out on the porch, or maybe Renee had dragged him off somewhere to look at wedding things.

Denise nodded some and tucked some hair behind the younger woman’s ear. “You’ve had a very trying day, I’m sure; what with the interviews and this whole fiasco.”

“Yeah, I’m kind of tired.”

“How ‘bout I get you a cool, damp cloth and you go upstairs and lie down?”

“That sounds nice.”

“Okay,” she patted Brielle’s leg, “go on upstairs and I’ll bring you one. Do you need anything else?”

‘Yeah, your son,’ she thought briefly before shaking her head and clearing her throat. The idea of Alex holding her and giving her the comfort she needed was something she longed for, but knew was impossible; things were different now. He was merely Alex; father of her child. “No,” she finally spoke.

“Alright, dear; go on upstairs. I’ll be up in just a minute.”

Brielle nodded and rose from the sofa, still clutching her glass of orange juice. “Thank you.”

Denise pouted at the lost expression on her face before nodding. “You’re more than welcome, dear.” Then she watched as the blonde turned and slowly shuffled from the room.

Her heart ached at what she’d witnessed between Brielle and her parents and Brielle and Renee and even Brielle and Alex. The tension between the latter two was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Something had happened between them on Saturday in his office, but she didn’t know what. She had tried to hint at it with the younger girl while they had been baking the cookies, but Brielle hadn’t seemed interested in admitting anything. Which was one of the reasons she had sent her back into the office to check on Alex a couple hours later. Probably had been a mistake, because she’d come storming out of there this time angry and the two had barely talked since then. Obviously, the few hours they’d spent together when he’d taken her to the interviews hadn’t helped and the way the two had snapped at each other during the whole debacle proved they still weren’t on good terms.

That didn’t sit well with the older woman and it needed to be fixed immediately; Brielle was dealing with enough, the last thing she needed was to be at arm’s length with her son. They needed to make amends and they needed to do it now. With that thought in mind, Denise went off in search of a washcloth and Alexander.

~*~*~*~*~

The day had not been easy on Alex and it was becoming increasingly worse. He hated the silent treatment Brielle was giving him and he knew he deserved it, but it made him want to take her by the arms and shake her until she either yelled at him or cried or both. Not that he liked to see a woman cry; he hated it in fact and hated it even more when he was the reason, but at least then he’d get some kind of emotion from her. Sunday she had avoided him like the plague, which hadn’t been too difficult when she and Denise had been gone most the day. And Monday, he had taken her to the interviews, not sure what to expect or how it was going to go down and all he had to report was nothing. She barely spoke unless she absolutely had to and then kept it to as short a response as she could.

It hurt the pop star to know he had caused her pain, but he didn’t know how to fix the situation. Yes, Alex was attracted to her, he knew that much and he liked the way she made him feel. Things seemed so easy when it came to Brielle and she had become the only person he felt at ease with. When they were together he didn’t want a drink and he didn’t have to fight the urge. It was just the two of them together, enjoying each other’s company and not expecting too much of the other one. That scared the young man because he’d never felt like that with anyone, ever. He didn’t know what to do with it or how to handle it. Since when were relationships like that? Nothing was ever that easy. At least not in his case.

So what was a guy to do? She seemed supremely miffed at him and Alex didn’t know how to make it up to her. Was she mad because he hadn’t told her no, he wasn’t going to marry Renee? They weren’t in a relationship so she couldn’t be that upset and she was the one that continued to apologize about messing his future with Renee up. She had seemed to want them to be together and she had nearly fled a few times just to be out of their way. When had that changed?

‘When you kissed her. Every time you kissed her.’

He knew the answer and he knew it had been wrong to do that to her. She had told him they couldn’t, but he hadn’t been able to help himself. It just felt so right with her and natural and that’s what one did when things felt that way. Maybe he had crossed a line; no he definitely had. Renee was still wearing his ring and he was kissing on another woman. Somehow, Alex always managed to do something to fuck himself over. And he couldn’t even begin to explain why. He didn’t enjoy self sabotaging himself, but it had become such a habit he didn’t even know he was doing it. Someone needed to kick his ass into gear and get him in line because if things continued this way, he’d only self destruct.

Speaking of self destruct, that’s what he wanted to do at the very moment because Renee wouldn’t shut up about their wedding. She was seated next to him on his porch swing in the backyard rambling about the colors she wanted and how big the wedding party should be, where they should get married, what kind of wedding cake they should have. If he heard the word wedding one more time he was going to lose it.

He did his best to ignore her; smoking cigarette after cigarette, his left leg bouncing, nodding or forcing a ‘yeah’ out when she looked to him for a response on what he thought. She didn’t seem to notice his absentmindedness or chalked it off as that’s how it went with men and wedding planning, when in reality he couldn’t get the sweet blonde that was inside his house having it out with her parents out of his head.

He hadn’t wanted to leave, but if he’d stayed there would have been a catfight of some sorts and neither pregnant woman needed that. Besides, he needed a cigarette. It was hell not being able to smoke inside or whenever he needed. He had to slip outside at all hours of the night or day to have one smoke and after he needed to sometimes change his shirt if the scent was too strong. Brielle’s doctor had been adamant about the young woman staying away from the potent smoke and he was doing his best to follow the doctor’s orders.

“What do you think about a March wedding?”

He didn’t hear the question at first, but felt the swing stop its gentle sway and looked over to Renee to see a look of definite annoyance on her face. Lowering his cigarette, he cleared his throat then spoke, “What?”

“Are you listening to me?”

“Of course I’m listening to you.”

“Oh really?” A manicured brow arched. “What did I just say?”

“You asked if I was listening to you.”

Renee’s mouth formed a thin line. “You’re not funny.”

“I’m not trying to be.”

She frowned. “You’re not even listening to me. I’m trying to figure out our wedding and you’re off in la la land.” A pause. “Ooh, you better not be thinking about that bitch; hopefully she’ll go home with her parents where she belongs.”

That hit a nerve and his eyes flashed at her. “I don’t care how much you like or don’t like Brielle; you will never call her a bitch or a whore or anything like that again.”

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me, Renee. I’m not going to let you talk about her like that.”

“Who are you to tell me how I can act?”

He pinched the bridge of his nose, taking a deep breath in hopes of it calming him. It didn’t seem to help and he cursed under his breath.

Renee smirked. “I thought so.”

He opened his mouth to respond, in a not so nice manner, when his mother slipped out onto the porch and rescued him.

“Alex, can I see you inside?”

Renee frowned then snatched Alex’s pack of cigarettes from beside him. “You don’t smoke around Brielle, but you have to qualms lighting ‘em up around me.”

He looked from his mom to his fiancée and guilt smacked him hard in the chest. “Shit, Renee, I’m …I…I wasn’t even thinking.”

“Of course not,” her eyes narrowed, “when it comes to me you don’t do that anymore.”

He winced and turned his eyes back to his mom, hoping she could read the look on his face pleading for help.

She picked up on it and nodded. “Renee, honey, I need Alex inside for a moment. I’m sorry; I’ll try not to keep him very long.”

The dark haired vixen rolled her eyes. “Keep him however long you want, I’m out of here.” Then she stood and dropped his cigarettes back into his lap.

Alex watched her head around the side of the house toward the front and sighed. What was a man to do in the situation he had gotten himself into? “Thanks, Mom,” he voiced, his somber eyes flicking back to where she was watching him with a peculiar look on her face.

“I didn’t come out here to rescue you. I came out here to ask what your problem was. I know something went down between you and Brielle and I know it’s not my business, but you need to get over whatever it is that’s pissed you off and go make amends with her. She just spent the last half hour crying her eyes out and she’s got enough going on with her parents, she doesn’t need to worry about your relationship with her on top of it.”

He blinked, caught off guard by the tone of her voice. “Is…she okay?”

“Of course she’s not okay!” The older woman’s frown grew. “Do you really expect her to be? You two have spent the last two days trying to avoid each other and you are the last person she needs to be angry with. She’s liable to go back to New York if it keeps up. Is that something you want?”

“Of course not.”

“Then go make up with her.”

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair then forced himself to his feet, pocketing his cigarettes. Alex had no idea what he was going to say to her, but he knew he needed to say something. He didn’t want her to leave, but if they didn’t fix this then she just might. What reason would she have to stay out there if they weren’t talking? “Alright.”

“Good.” Denise waited until he passed her then headed into the house behind him. “Remember that she’s alone out here, Alex; Lily left and she has no one. She really needs you right now.”

He resisted the urge to roll his eyes. “I’m going to talk to her, Mom.”

“I know, son.” She patted his shoulder then pressed a damp, cool cloth into his hand. “Take this to her, please.”

Alex glanced to the washcloth then strode on through the house and to the stairs.

He found Brielle in her bedroom after a quick change of shirts, lying on her side atop the bedspread, her eyes red and swollen and her hair fanned out over the bed. “Hey,” he spoke a little hesitant, not sure if she’d even want to see him at the moment.

She turned her teary eyes his way and just watched him.

“Um,” he wet his bottom lip then held the cloth toward her, “my mom asked me to bring this to you.”

She didn’t say anything, just reached out and took the cloth then pressed it to her eyes.

Alex felt his stomach churning at that. “Are you alright?”

A shrug was her response and he shifted on his feet in an uncomfortable manner. Since when was he nervous around her? Letting a sigh escape at that thought, and feeling horrible that she was so upset, he finally sank down onto the edge of the bed, hesitant to reach out and touch her though his fingers were itching to do so. “I’m sorry, Brielle.” And he meant it.

She was quiet for a long moment, neither of them speaking, then finally lowered the cloth and used it to wipe at her cheeks before her gaze landed on him. “I feel like I’m in a never ending nightmare,” her voice was barely a whisper and he had to strain his ears to hear her.

“What makes you say that?”

“The last three years of my life.”

He pressed his lips together, mulling her situation over. “It’s not that bad, sweetheart. You have a lot of people that are here for you; Lily, my mom, me…and your parents want to be here for you too.”

She frowned at that. “No they don’t. They want something, they don’t care about me.”

“Maybe they do?”

“The same way your dad cares about you?”

He hesitated then sagged some into the bed. “Alright, maybe you’re right.

She nodded then pressed the cloth to her eyes again.

“Look, Brielle, I’m sorry for upsetting you.” His fingers reached out and grazed her hair. It was so silky and soft and he resisted the urge to splay his fingers in it. “I really am. You know the last thing I want is for you to be upset.”

She remained silent and his hand came down and smoothed over her arm. “I was just having a bad day the other night and I shouldn’t have acted the way I did toward you, please don’t stay mad at me.”

“Are you apologizing because you want to or because your mom told you to?”

He sighed. “Why are you so upset with me?”

This time she pulled the cloth away and met his gaze. “Because you kiss me, make me feel a certain way and then you turn around and tell me you’re still going to marry Renee. Do I really need to explain myself?”

A tiny grin tugged at the corner of his mouth. “You feel a certain way?”

Her response was a frown then she shifted on the bed and turned her back to him, facing the opposite wall.

“Aww, come on, babe,” he leaned over and peeked to her face, “talk to me.”

“I have nothing to say.”

“Are you jealous?”

Her eyes shifted to him and she frowned. “I’m not jealous; I feel used and unimportant; expendable even.”

“Expendable?” It was his turn to frown. “You’re definitely not expendable.”

She flopped to her back and looked up at him. “Then how come you kiss me for no reason and act the way you do, but then pretty much tell me you’re still going to marry your fiancée? I told you we couldn’t let anything happen between us and you told me not to think. I don’t understand this game you’re playing.”

“I’m not playing a game!” It came out harsher than he intended and he immediately regretted it. “I’m sorry, Brielle, I didn’t mean to snap.”

She didn’t say anything, just watched him with a look that showed how hurt and disappointed in him she was. Which was nearly as bad as her yelling. He hated how it curled his gut and made him feel sick to his stomach.

“Look,” he shifted some on the bed and took her hand into his, “sometimes I don’t understand the things I do. I’m messed up like that; I get an idea in my head and I make it happen even if it’s not the right thing to do at the time. Like kissing you; I wanted to do it and probably shouldn’t have,” the tip of his tongue darted out and wet his upper lip, “but I don’t regret it. It always seems so easy with you, Brie, and I think that scares me. I’ve never…had a girlfriend that it’s been easy with and it’s different to me. Kind of freaks me out and when I get freaked out, I tend to tuck my tail between my legs and run away.”

“But I’m not your girlfriend.”

“I know you’re not, sweetheart.” His fingers stroked the back of her hand.

She was quiet for a moment, just watching their hands. Finally, she cleared her throat softly and spoke again, “Do you love Renee?”

He felt a twist in his gut. “I used to.”

“Then why are you going to marry her?” She lifted her cloudy blue eyes to his chocolate orbs. “I know I said I didn’t want to come between you two and that I didn’t want to mess things up for you and her, but things happen that are beyond anyone’s control and if you don’t love her, why would you allow her to think you do and why on God’s green earth would you let her start planning your wedding? You’re just making it worse for everybody and you’re going to tear her poor heart to shreds.”

Alex gave a groan and took his hand back, leaning over some and resting his head into his hands. “Cuz I’m a fuck up.”

“No, you’re not.” She pushed herself up and gently tossed the damp cloth to the nightstand. Turning back to him, Brielle smoothed a hand over his back. “I think you’re just scared. You don’t want to hurt Renee, but you don’t know how to get out of it without doing so. And unfortunately, there’s no way to do that. But the longer you let it drag out, the worst it’s going to be. It’s like pulling off a band-aid, you have to just grab it and yank fast.”

He rubbed his forehead then turned to her. “I know. I don’t want to drag it out…I guess I just keep thinking that maybe she’ll turn back into the woman I fell in love with. She’s changed so much.”

“She’s not the only one that’s changed.”

He nodded some before clearing his throat. “I guess we’ve just grown apart. I never thought that would happen.” He gave a dry chuckle. “We used to have so much fun together.”

“I’m sorry, Alex.” She smoothed a hand over his head in a sympathetic manner.

“It’s alright. I’m just glad I figured it out before we had actually said ‘I do’. Then it’d be a hot mess for sure. Not that it’s not going to be considering the baby.”

Brielle had to agree. “You’ll work it out; I have faith in you.” Slowly, she shifted on the bed and swung her legs around and off the side so she was seated next to him. “And I’m sorry I let myself get so upset.”

“Hey, you don’t have to apologize to me. I was out of line in the tone I took with you. Sometimes, I can be an angry drunk.”

“Yeah, I kind of gathered that.”

He chuckled low and rubbed his face. “So, how about we move past this and try to put it behind us?”

She smiled softly. “I’d like that.”

“And we’ll do our best not to fight with each other. I know it’ll happen eventually, because you know, you can’t really avoid it, but we need to make sure we talk to one another and not let it go on and on.” His eyes met hers and he reached out, his fingers skimming the skin of her cheek. “And I’m sorry for being an ass to you.”

“It’s okay, I forgive you.”

Alex smiled. “You really are an exceptional person, you know that?”

“I’m just myself.”

“I know,” he had to force himself to pull his hand back before he did something he regretted; like kiss her again and again, “and don’t change; always be yourself. It’s refreshing.”

“I’ll make a deal with you.” She shifted her body to face his a little more. “I’ll always be myself if you’ll try not to drink so much.”

He lifted a brow. “My drinking isn’t out of control.”

“You were pretty mean to me last night.”

A sigh. “Fine, I’ll try not to drink so much.” He couldn’t believe he was agreeing to that, but how could he tell her no?

“Thank you.” She leaned up and kissed his cheek. “And thank you for coming up here and talking to me.”

Alex nodded. “It’s the least I could do, babe. You wanna go downstairs and watch a movie or something?”

“No, I think I’m gonna take a nap.” She paused then tilted her head. “You want to lay down with me?”

He knew it probably wouldn’t be a good idea, but despite that, he found himself agreeing and soon they were settled against the bed, Brielle tucked against his chest and one arm around her waist. He could smell her shampoo and tried not to let it affect him the way it was. She fell into a light sleep before too long and his mind began to wander to places it probably shouldn’t have gone. Like how she made him feel and the way her eyes would light up when he would come into the room, her laugh and how he loved to hear it, the vulnerability about her that he hoped she never lost, and the way she sounded completely jealous of Renee.

His eyes drifted to her face and he wondered if it was possible. Could she be falling for him? Someone as beautiful and wonderful as Brielle could find someone as weak and inept as him attractive? That didn’t seem possible, but the feel of her back against his chest was comforting and he liked how she fit in his arms. He began to imagine what it would be like to be with her in an intimate way again; how her skin would flush, the look of lust and need in her eyes, the way her hair would tickle his chest, the two of them rolling in the sheets making love…whoa, wait a minute, back that thought train up there. Making love? No, that couldn’t be right.

But one look at her innocent and peaceful face and Alex knew it was. When the hell had that happened?
Chapter End Notes:
Tee hee! Did anyone see that coming? All the gift ideas are awesome and if anyone has any more, lemme know. Thanks!