- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it and I've got another chapter done for you. I hope you enjoy and again, I'd love to know your thoughts. Thanks again! :)

 

The bell above the door jingled, signaling that someone was entering the small convenience store tucked between a pawn shop and a camera store. Cory Jasper looked up from the People magazine he was rifling through to see Brielle Madison entering. A grin tugged at his lips and he flipped the magazine shut, pushing it to the side. “Hey, Brie.”

“Hi, Cory.” Brielle tugged her thin jacket tighter around her body and shivered. It was an extra chilly day in New York in early December and it was supposed to snow later that night; she wanted to pick up what little she could to take home in case the power went out or something.

“How’s it going?” The curly red headed young man watched her as she scanned the aisles.

“It’s going.” She rubbed her arms and shivered, still feeling the cold despite the warmth from the store.

“Good.” Cory fiddled with the corner of the People magazine, his dark eyes still trained on the blonde. Something about her demeanor wasn’t right; the way she moved, the paleness of her skin, the dark circles under her eyes. Cory normally didn’t befriend the patrons that came and went from the little shop, buying their cigarettes or gossip mags or gallons of milk, but from Brielle’s first visit, he had taken an interest. He’d tried to tell himself it was because she seemed alone and looked like she could use a friend; but something a little deeper inside knew it was because despite her homely clothing and tired eyes, she was a beautiful girl with a good heart, just a bad disposition. So he’d taken it upon himself to help her out when he could, a loaf of bread here a pack of gum there, whatever he could afford to put in the till that would get her what she might need that day.

“Do you have any more of those powdered donuts?”

Cory blinked some and pulled himself from his thoughts, focusing his eyes on Brielle’s tired face. “Just got some in today; I was saving ‘em for you.” He slipped off his stool and disappeared into the back room before returning with a new and unopened pack of miniature powered donuts. The last few weeks, Brielle had taken a strong interest in the sugary sweet and came in every other day or so to sneak a few.

“Thank you, Cory.” She took the pack and set it on the counter then began to rummage through her handbag. “Two dollars, right?”

“On the house today, sweetheart. Save your money.”

Brielle’s blue eyes blinked some. “Are you sure? You’ve been giving me a lot of stuff on the house I…I don’t want you getting in trouble.”

“I’m not. And I’m not stealing the stuff.” He sent her a wink. “It gets paid for.”

“Okay,” she gave a relieved smile and took the donuts, carefully opening the package.

Cory watched her select one of the soft, powdery pastries and take a bite. He waited until she had swallowed the bite before speaking, “Everything okay?”

“Hm?” She wiped the white powder from her fingers and met his gaze.

“Is everything okay? You…seem a little,” he searched for the right word, “off.”

“Oh,” Brielle closed the donut package, “yeah I’m okay. Just been a long day.”

Cory wasn’t sure if he believed her, but he could tell she didn’t want to discuss anything. “Okay, but you know if you ever need anything, I’m here.”

“Thank you, Cory,” she smiled and touched his arm, “I really appreciate that.”

“Anytime kiddo,” he gave her shoulder a gentle hit with his fist in a friendly manner, “there anything else you need? Supposed to be a storm tonight.”

“So I hear,” she scanned the shelves, “I wanted to get some water and maybe some more bread.”

“I can get ‘em for you.”

“Oh, no, you stay and do your job; I want to look around some anyway.” She smiled again then wandered off to the aisle that held the bread and chips.

Cory watched her go then sighed, wondering how she’d react if he asked her to a movie sometime. Before he had the chance to slip from behind the counter and seek her out, one of his regular cigarette patrons came in requesting their brand.

Brielle wandered the aisle, smoothing her fingers over the bags of chips and wondering if she could stretch her money and get just one. The Doritos were on sale two for five or $2.50 a piece. With Cory taking the tab for the donuts she just might be able to pull it off. Selecting a bag of Cool Ranch, she continued on her way to the bread and took her usual loaf. Now, some water and maybe a gallon of milk and she could be on her way. Rent had been due last week and she still didn’t have the total amount, so she needed to make sure to get home and slip into her place before her landlord arrived and got on her case again.

The last few weeks since finding out about this pregnancy had done its toll on the blonde and she was sinking faster than she could swim. Since hearing the heartbeat twelve days ago, Brielle was beginning to question her decision on what to do with the baby. Her heart told her she wanted to keep it, but her head and lack of money was making her see that maybe it wasn’t the best choice. That killed her inside and if she thought about it too much, would reduce her to tears. Eventually she was going to have to tell Lily that adoption might be the best choice, but every time she tried, her throat welled up and the words wouldn’t come.

Forcing those worries from her head, Brielle finished gathering her items and carried them to the counter. “Okay, I think this should be good.”

Cory glanced the items over. “I think this looks good.”

“Okay, how much is it?” Brielle reached for her purse, her gaze catching on the magazine near Cory’s elbow.

“Four bucks,” he replied, skipping over the chips and milk. He’d put the money for those into the register before he closed. Quickly bagging her products, he set them on the counter then turned to her, expecting her to have the money out for him. Instead, she was staring at the magazine he had been looking at minutes earlier. “Brielle?” He frowned at the expression on her face, not sure if it was shock, guilt or if she might be sick. “Brielle?” He gently touched her arm.

“Oh my God,” she breathed out, slowly reaching a hand and pulling the People magazine closer.

“What is it?” He looked to the cover, seeing the cover story was about some Hollywood couple; former Playboy playmate, Kendra Wilkinson and NFL Player, Hank Baskett were welcoming their brand new baby boy.

Brielle gaped at the cover, suddenly jerking and turning her stricken gaze to Cory. “I need this magazine.”

“What?”

“This magazine,” she gave it a shake, “I need it.”

“Oh, um.” He rubbed his head, confused by her odd behavior.

“Cory, please,” she pleaded. “I’ll…I have ten dollars.” Quickly she began to dig for the money.

Something in her eyes and that tone of her voice told him she was serious. “Take it.” He shoved it towards her. “No problem, I can cover it.”

“Are you sure?” She dug a five out and held it towards him. “I…how much were the groceries?”

“Keep your cash.” He shoved the magazine into the bag and pushed it towards her. “Don’t even worry about it.”

Normally, Brielle might have argued that, or left the money on the counter, but she wasn’t thinking too clearly at the moment. “Thank you!” She shoved the cash back into her purse and snapped it shut. “Thank you, Cory, I owe you one.” Then she grabbed up the bag and was out the door before he could even offer a ‘you’re welcome’.

Ten minutes later, Brielle burst into her apartment; barely getting the door shut before she dropped the bag onto the tiny kitchen table and tore the magazine from it. She didn’t even bother putting the milk away. Instead, she dropped down on her worn down, blue fabric sofa and thumbed through the pages until she found the article she was looking for.

With an icy hand gripping her chest, she began to read the words.

AJ McLean is now off the market. That’s right ladies; the ‘bad boy’ of the Backstreet Boys is ready to take that leap and settle down. McLean proposed to his girlfriend, Renee Kemp, Friday night on the stage of the Playboy nightclub in Las Vegas, Nevada, presenting her with a one-carat diamond, princess shaped, platinum ring.

“He got up on the stage and asked her to join him. Then got down on one knee and popped the question.” An eyewitness tells PEOPLE. “She seemed completely shocked and he had to ask her again, before she gave him a yes.”

McLean and Kemp have been dating for eight months and McLean knew he wanted to propose, but wasn’t sure of when until that night.

“It just felt right.” He explained to PEOPLE after the couple began celebrating the new engagement. “I’ve known she was the one from the beginning and something inside me told me tonight is the night, just do it. So I did.”

No word on when the nuptials will take place, but McLean as assured us that they aren’t going to be one of those couples who stays engaged for years and years. “I’m ready to get things going. We have a tour coming up, but we’re not worried. We’ll find the perfect time.”


He was engaged? With trembling hands, Brielle lowered the magazine and stared at the picture. He had had a girlfriend that night nearly ten weeks ago when they’d let their carnal desires show through. Maybe it wasn’t the same guy. He had told her his name was Alex, and this guy was AJ. Studying the picture of the singer, she chewed her cheek, feeling her stomach pitching slowly into her toes. Nope, that was him; those chocolate eyes, the facial hair and there was no mistaking the tattoos.

With a groan, Brielle fell over sideways onto the sofa. The father of her baby was some famous celebrity that had just gotten engaged. She couldn’t believe it. It was like a never ending dream that had taken a turn into a nightmare. Things like this only seemed to happen in the movies and now they were main feature of her life. Why oh why?

“Brielle!”

The pounding on the door jerked her up and she pushed the hair from her face. She’d know the voice of her landlord, Jerry Alman, anywhere.

“Brielle! I know you’re in there! Open up!” He continued to pound, trying the knob but finding it locked.

But she stayed silent, her words caught in the fear in her throat. Now was not a good time for him to come trying to collect rent.

“I’m not taking this anymore, Miss Madison.” He stopped the pounding and now just spoke through the wooden obstacle in their path. “I want you out of here by the end of the week. Don’t make me contact the police.”

Tears gathered in her eyes and she pressed a hand to her mouth, keeping mum and waiting until she knew he had retreated before pulling herself from the sofa. What was she going to do now? A sob rose in her throat and the blonde pushed it away. No, she wasn’t going to cry or wallow. She was strong, she could figure this out.

Tugging her jacket around her trembling body, her hands brushed her stomach and she paused, glancing towards the magazine still on the couch. There really was no other option now. This baby was coming and she had to make things okay for him or her.

Maybe Lily would have an idea or suggestion. Grabbing up the magazine, she tucked it back into the paper bag. And maybe Lily wouldn’t mind a guest for the night either. She was suddenly having a craving for some Rocky Road ice cream. Taking a minute to gather some of her clothes and personal belongings, she packed them into the bag as well and soon was out the door and on her way.

~*~*~*~*~

“Brielle!” Lily exclaimed upon opening the door to her two bedroom apartment in Manhattan and finding her best friend there. But one look at her face and the brown bag in her arms and she knew the blonde was in trouble. “What’s wrong? What happened?” Quickly she ushered her in, taking the bag and helping her from her jacket.

“Mr. Alman is kicking me out of my apartment.”

Lily frowned, a crease line appearing in her forehead. “Oh, Brie,” she reached and took her friend’s arm, guiding her to the black leather couch in her living room, “here, have a seat.”

Brielle sank down, wrapping her arms around her midriff. “What am I going to do?”

She sounded so despondent and Lily couldn’t help but feel sorry for her. “I don’t know, hon, but we’ll figure something out.”

“Yeah,” she sighed and brought her somber eyes to her friend’s, “you think I could crash with you…it’d only be for a few days; until I can find a place again.”

The brunette sighed. She knew her fiancé wasn’t going to be too eager with having Brielle there, but she also knew he wouldn’t object. Besides, how could she turn her best friend away? “You can stay with us, Brie. As long as you need to, okay? No rush.” She squeezed her arm then sat back.

“Thanks.” Brielle rubbed her face then sat back. “You know how I told you I didn’t know the guy who um…got me pregnant?”

“I do.”

“Well,” she fiddled with the hem of her shirt, her eyes on her stomach and not on her friend, “I kinda know who he is.”

“What?” Lily blinked some. “You said it was some stranger.” A pause. “Is it someone we know?”

“Not exactly. And he was a stranger when I met him.” She rose from the couch and tugged her shirt down some before moving into the kitchen and gathering the magazine. Soon she was back, pressing it into Lily’s hands.

The brunette frowned and looked to the cover. “Hank Baskett is your baby’s daddy?”

“No,” Brielle tapped a picture on the side of the cover, “he is.”

Lily blinked, gaping at the small photo. “That…what…are…” she turned her emerald eyes to Brielle, “are you sure? You really must be joking.”

“No joke.” She sank onto the couch and took the magazine back; turning to the correct page and thrusting it once more into Lily’s hands. “AJ McLean, or Alex as he told me, is the father of my child.”

“You really can’t be serious.” Lily scanned the article quickly. “He’s…he just got engaged. Maybe it was someone who looked like him.”

“No one can duplicate those tattoos.” The blonde tapped the picture again, pointing to the obvious ones on his neck. “He has them all over, Lil; on his hands, his arms and his back. It was him; I’m 110% sure of it.”

Lily studied the picture then glanced back to her friend. “Okay, so…you’re having his baby. What do you think you should do?”

“I don’t know,” she tucked her hair behind her ears, “probably nothing. I mean…he just got engaged and he’s living his own life. The last thing he needs is some nearly homeless girl calling him up claiming to be having his child.”

“But, you’re not claiming; you really are.”

“He won’t see it that way. You know no one will believe me. They’ll just think I’m some poor girl trying to strike it rich.”

Lily tossed the magazine to the side. “Who cares what anyone else thinks.”

“Lily, he’ll think that too.”

“Not after you do a DNA test.”

“And wait until after the baby is born?”

“Hm, no I think they can do them before too. I think it’s like the amniocentesis.”

“Oh,” Brielle rubbed her head, “I don’t know, Lily. It’s probably best we just keep it to ourselves. The last thing he needs is some kind of scandal.”

Lily frowned. “I think that man has a right to know that he has helped to bring a child into the world. You can’t keep something like that from someone; it’s not right.”

“Oh, and what do you propose I do? Just call him up; hey, Alex…remember me? I was the chick you picked up in that seedy bar in New York back in October. Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I’m having your kid.” She ran her fingers through her hair, retucking it behind her ears once more. “He’ll laugh so hard then hang up the phone. Besides,” a shrug, “I would have no idea how to get in touch with him anyway. Celebrities are just a little hard for the common Joe to track down.”

“Do you even hear yourself, Brielle? Seriously?” Her friend shook her head in frustration. “He is the father of your baby. You are sinking here, Brie and I know you don’t want to hear that, but you are. You have no job, you just lost your apartment; you’re getting by only by the skin of your teeth. Just maybe, he could help you out there. He could offer your child what you can’t. Besides, maybe he would want to know. Have you considered that?”

“And what if he doesn’t?” She counteracted with. “What if he tells me to get lost and never contact him again? Sure, a test will prove it’s his child, but if he wants nothing to do with it, then there’s nothing I can do. I don’t want to get my hopes up like that.”

Lily pushed herself up from the couch. “Maybe he would. You won’t know until you try.”

“I’m not going to interrupt that man’s life to tell him I’m having his child.”

“You are so helpless.” Her friend glared at her. “You know it’s the right thing to do, Brielle; on every single level. And if he wants nothing to do with you, then you take him to court.”

“And look like some money hungry slut?”

“Brielle!” She clenched her hands into fists.

“Look,” the blonde stood from the couch as well, “I know that you care about me and you care about this baby and what happens, but this is just something I’m not going to tangle with. He has a life of his own, he just got engaged and the article says they have some tour coming up. I am not going to interrupt his life. I know you don’t agree with it, but it’s my life and my decision.”

Lily took a moment and counted to ten, her voice calmed down considerably. “Brie, I love you and you’re right, I don’t agree. But it’s not just your life anymore,” her eyes searched her friend’s face, “it’s that baby’s life too. Please don’t make some rash decision now that will affect that child’s life forever.”

Brielle sighed and rubbed her eyes; she knew the brunette was right. “Can I at least think about it?”

“Sure, long as you’re really thinking and not just saying that.”

“I’ll seriously think about it.” She cast her eyes to the magazine once more.

“Thank you.” Lily squeezed her arm then pulled back. “Okay, how ‘bout some ice cream or something? We could order a movie from Netflix and watch that while we eat.”

She smiled and smoothed a hand over her belly, noting the very slight paunch in it. “I’d actually love some ice cream. Do you have any Rocky Road?”

“Coming right up.” Lily disappeared into the kitchen. “One scoop or two?”

“Two,” she called back before grabbing the fallen magazine up. Studying the picture for a moment, a twinge appeared in her stomach. “Bleh.” She flipped it shut then tucked it under the pile of Bridal magazines Lily had on the coffee table. The movie would take her mind off things for a couple hours. And then she didn’t know what she would do.

~*~*~*~*~

“Something on your mind?”

Lily Hunt looked up from the computer screen to see her fiancé, Jordan Travor, standing in the doorway of the small office that sat off the living room. “You could say that.” She sighed and sank back into the seat, pushing the chair to turn more towards Jordan.

“What’s going on?” The sandy blond haired man with a chiseled jaw and piercing blue eyes pushed himself from the doorframe and entered the room.

Lily cast her gaze towards the living room. “Where’s Brie?”

“She’s taking a bath.” He approached her chair and smoothed his hands to her shoulders, massaging them in a gentle gesture. “What are you looking at?”

The brunette turned back to the computer screen. “Just some stuff.”

Jordan leaned over some to see the screen. “Who is that?”

Lily sighed and maneuvered the mouse around some. “Brie’s baby’s daddy.”

“Say what?” He peered to the screen.

“Yeah, he’s some celebrity; imagine that.”

Jordan blinked some and studied the picture of the celebrity, posing on some red carpet with a backdrop covered in brand names behind him. “How…what…”

Lily chuckled low. “Yeah, apparently the stranger she picked up in the bar, was some celebrity. And get this,” she lifted her browed and watched her fiancé, “he just got engaged.”

“Wow,” the handsome man leaned back against the desk, “that’s some news. Is she sure he’s the father?”

“She said she was,” she gave a shrug, “said she knows it was him and recognized all the tattoos.”

He tilted his head some. “What’s she gonna do?”

“Nothing.” A frown creased the pretty brunette’s brow. “She said she doesn’t want to disrupt his life with the news of the baby and that he’d probably never believe her anyway.”

“Well, he’s a celebrity, I’m sure they go through this kind of thing a lot with someone trying to get a dollar out of them quite often.”

“I know, but if he really is the father, then a test will prove that.”

“Sweetheart, just because someone is the biological father, doesn’t make them the dad necessarily.” He smoothed his fingers through her hair.

Lily made a face. “It makes them legally responsible and he would have to pay child support. Brie really needs something good right now.”

“I know she does,” he leaned over and kissed his fiancée’s head, “but going after the guy just because he has money is not the right thing to do.” A pause. “Is that what you think she should do?”

“Not at all.” She shook her head and turned the chair to face him. “I just think he has a right to know that he’s going to have a child. What he decides to do after that is his own decision. But what kind of person hides the fact that they’re having someone’s baby from them?”

Jordan rubbed his jaw. “In a normal situation I would agree, but this is far from normal; the guy is some kind of celebrity and it was a one night stand. It’s not like she’s purposely hiding it.”

“I know,” she sighed and stared at the screen of her computer, “I just think he needs to know now instead of waiting eighteen years and the child goes to find him. All that’s going to do is cause resentment between everyone.”

“Well,” he sighed and studied the picture for a moment before turning his gaze to his fiancée, “we can’t force Brie to do anything she doesn’t want to.”

“I know.” Lily fiddled with the mouse, drawing her lip into her mouth some.

Jordan knew that look and cocked a brow. “What?”

“I…um….nothing,” she shook her head, exiting the browser, “nothing at all; just thinking.”

“Uh huh, with your ‘I’m concocting a plan’ expression.”

Lily balked, “I have no such expression.”

He chuckled and took her hand, drawing her up from the chair. “Oh yes you do, and whatever it is you’re thinking, don’t. Just let Brie handle this however she wishes and be the friend she needs.”

“I’ll try.” She let Jordan lead her from the room, casting a wistful glance back towards the computer. But no promises.