- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Enjoy :)

The first thing Brielle noticed when she woke the following morning was how sore her neck was. She’d fallen asleep sitting against the headboard and her head had fallen to the side sometime during the night. Now there was a kink in it and she frowned, reaching up to massage it some. Sore neck, sore back, swelling feet; not even twenty-two yet and she felt like she was falling apart.

The next thing the blonde noticed was that Alex drooled in his sleep when he was drunk. She had a wet spot on her thigh where his head had been resting. She made a face at it then sighed and gave up being disgusted or annoyed. Besides, the ache in her neck took priority over a damp spot on her pants.

The third thing Brielle realized was that Alex was not in the bed with her. She frowned then noticed the shirt he had been wearing was hanging off the side of the mattress, as were his pants. Peering over the side of the bed to the floor, Brielle’s brows lifted. Alex lay face down on the plush, gray carpet completely butt naked and asleep.

Well, that’s just lovely. She sighed and sank back against the headboard, but not before noting his lower half was free from any kind of tattoos; which was quite a contrast to his back, neck and arms. Not to mention, he had a rather cute tushy. But now was not the time to be admiring his naked form.

Rubbing her eyes, Brielle made a face when she realized her bladder was full. Lately, that’s all it felt like she did; use the bathroom and sleep. A normalcy in a pregnancy all the books proclaimed, but it didn’t make it any less of a pain to her. And if she didn’t get up and get into the bathroom, she was going to have more than one wet spot on her jeans.

Laughing at the absurdity of that thought, she rolled from the bed, stepped over Alex’s naked form and made her way into the bathroom. Shutting the door behind her, she made it to the toilet in time then flushed and washed her hands at the sink.

Catching sight of her reflection in the large mirror, Brielle made a face at her mussed hair and the circles under her eyes. It was important she get enough rest and the events of last night were already taking their toll on her. She was in dire need of a hot shower and a toothbrush. Which made her wonder.

Quickly, she checked the cabinet under the sink and found exactly that; a blue toothbrush still in the package and a small tube of toothpaste. Score! Hopefully, Nick wouldn’t mind that she’d use them and, of course, she would replace them right away. But just having a clean mouth would make her feel so much better.

After brushing her teeth and splashing some cold water on her face, Brielle finally emerged from the bathroom. She was finally starting to come around and now just needed to wake Alex up. However, she found upon entering the room that Alex was no longer laying on the floor where she’d left him nor was he back in the bed. In fact, the only piece of evidence that he had even been in the room in the first place were his clothes that still lay scattered about. Which meant; he was wandering around his friend’s house in the nude. How nice.

And now she had to go find him and try to coax him back into his clothes so they could leave and go back to his place.

Taking up his jeans, she started from the room and glanced down the hallway, finding it vacant. She hadn’t been in the bathroom that long; he couldn’t have gotten very far. And why would he want to wander around naked? That man perplexed her at times.

Shaking her head at that, she began her search, wandering down the hall, whispering his name and peeking into the different rooms. But no luck. Maybe he’d meandered down to the first floor. So she located the stairs and made her way down them. She peeked into a large game room, the family room, a theater and still no Alex. Though the house was big enough, he could be anywhere.

Brielle was just leaving the empty kitchen when a tall brunette with long hair and even longer legs stepped into her view. Both women stopped and stared at the other and the brunette arched a thin brow. She had crystal clear blue eyes and high cheekbones with skin that looked as flawless as fine china.

“Who are you?” She spoke with a slight edge to her voice.

“Um…I’m looking for Alex; he’s a friend of Nick’s. Have you…have you seen him?”

The brunette’s brows drew together as she studied Brielle. “Yeah, I saw him a few minutes ago.”

“Really?” Relief washed over her. “Thank God, I was wondering where he’d gone to.” She glanced around. “Where is he?”

The tall female thumbed behind her. “Um, he was getting into a cab when I was pulling up. So, he’s gone.”

“What?” Brielle’s eyes shot wide. “He…he left?”

The brunette nodded. “Yeah, he was leaving as I was arriving.” A pause. “Who are you again?”

She stared at her in shock. “He left? Are…are you sure it was Alex? Was he um…was he dressed?”

The other girl watched her suspiciously. “I know who Alex is and yes, it was Alex. And of course he was dressed.”

“Can I ask what he was wearing?” She was still clutching his jeans to her chest.

The brunette raised a brow. “Um, clothes.”

Thank god he’d found something to put on. She was half afraid he’d hailed a cab naked. But instead, he had hailed a cab while fully dressed and had left her there at Nick’s. A frown fell over her face as she felt the annoyance and irritation set in. “I can’t believe he left.”

“Who are you?”

Brielle sighed then brushed past the girl and headed for the stairs. “I’m Brielle, a friend of Alex’s and he’s just deserted me and now I have no way to get home.”

The brunette fell in step behind her. “Ooh, you’re Brielle. Nick told me about you.”

She paused at the bottom of the stairs. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing, just that you’re having his um…baby. Nick said you seemed like a nice girl.”

Brielle sighed. She hadn’t meant to sound snappy. “I’m sorry; I just had a really bad night and little sleep and now Alex up and left me.”

“Well, if it’s any consolation, he seemed like he still might have been a little bit drunk.”

That didn’t help her at all. “Figures.” She rolled her eyes then began the trek up the steps.

The brunette followed. “I’m Laurel, by the way; Nick’s girlfriend.”

“It’s nice to meet you.”

“You too. Nick told me how horrible Renee was that day she threw that party. I’m sorry that happened; everyone hates her.”

“Renee,” she sighed, “that’s kind of why we’re here…no, correction, that’s kind of why I’m here and Alex is not.”

“Can I ask what happened?”

Brielle was now nearing the bedroom she’d slept in. “He was upset about something with Renee and went out drinking again. Nick and I picked him up and Nick brought us here. And now I have no way to get home.” She couldn’t believe he’d just up and left her and the more she thought about it the more upset she became.

“I’m so sorry; if I had known you were with him I would have said something.”

“It’s not your fault.” She stalked into the room and hurled the jeans at the bed then grabbed up her handbag. “I’ll just call a cab or something.”

Laurel frowned. “Hey, no need to do that. I can take you wherever you need to go.”

Brielle slipped the bag around her body. “You mean that? I don’t want to put you out or anything.”

“You wouldn’t be.” She shook her head, her long, silky locks brushing her face. “Nick never wakes before noon anyway and I’m sure if he were up he’d take you.”

She had a point there. Finally, she nodded her head. “Okay, um, thank you so much. I really appreciate it.”

Laurel smiled and a dimple appeared in her left cheek. “It’s no problem. Do you need to get anything before you go?”

“Nope, I’m good.” She patted her bag.

“Great, let’s roll then.”

Brielle nodded and slipped from the room and Laurel followed her out. Together, the two girls made their way down the hallway and to the stairs.

~*~*~*~*~

Brielle let herself into Alex’s home after Laurel dropped her off. The two had made amicable conversation on the drive over and she found herself taking a liking to the brunette. Laurel had suggested that maybe they get together sometime and they’d exchanged numbers. Despite the sour situation, at least she was making a friend out of it.

“Goodness, I had no idea you were awake,” Denise greeted her as she dropped her handbag on the side table and closed the door behind her.

Brielle glanced over to see Denise sipping a cup of coffee and seated in a chair. “Yeah, I um…went for a walk.” She hated lying to her, but telling her the truth at the moment was out of question; at least until she talked to Alex.

“Oh, well how was it?”

“It was okay.” She slipped her shoes off and glanced around. “Is Alex awake?”

“I haven’t seen him, so I guess not. He must have got in pretty late last night.”

You have no idea, she thought to herself. “Alright, I’m gonna go up and take a shower.”

“Oh, do you want some breakfast?” Denise pushed herself up from the chair.

“No,” Brielle shook her head, her appetite had gone out the window when Alex had stranded her at Nick’s, “but I’ll be down a little later.”

Denise frowned, but didn’t object and Brielle sent her a grateful smile before heading to the stairs and up them. Instead of heading into her room to take the shower like she had spoke, she bypassed it and by the time she was at Alex’s door, she was even more angry and upset than she had been earlier.

She still couldn’t believe he had just left her behind and gone about his way. Unless he hadn’t gone back home and was off at another strip club or drinking more, he better have one damn good reason he had done what he had. Which is why she didn’t bother to knock and just burst into his bedroom. She was going to get her answers.

Alex lay sprawled across the bed with his head buried in the pillows. The clothes he had found and pulled on at Nick’s were in a pile on the floor and his naked form greeted her for the second time that day. Once again it was his rear and this time she ignored it, striding across the room and throwing the dark curtains open so bright sunlight bathed the room.

“Time to get up,” she announced, crossing to the other large window and tossing back that curtain as well.

The figure in the bed gave a groan and wallowed further into the pillows.

“I mean it, Alex.” She opened the blinds covering the balcony door then pushed them apart.

“Go ‘way,” he mumbled in a gravely tone.

“Heh, I don’t think so.” She frowned at him and placed her hands on her hips.

Alex pushed a pillow off the bed in her direction. “I’m tryin’ ta sleep.”

“That’s funny, because I was trying to sleep last night and didn’t get to.”

Alex frowned at her. “Whaddaya want?”

“What I want,” she arched her brows and moved closer to the bed, “is to know why in the hell you left me at your friend’s house today.”

“I didn’t do shit.” Then he flopped back against the covers and turned his back to her.

Brielle felt like grabbing him and pushing him right off the bed. “You are so impossible,” she hissed at him, moving around the bed to the other side to face him again. “Not only are you a drunk, but you’re also an alcoholic and you’re probably still a little bit wasted right now.”

“I’m not a drunk,” he mumbled.

“Yes you are!” She frowned and yanked away the pillow he was hiding his face with. “You got yourself so drunk last night that you passed out! And do you even know the kind of bullshit you were spewing to me on the phone?”

His eyes narrowed and he reached behind him for another pillow. “Get outta my room.”

“I don’t even recognize you anymore, Alex. You are not the person I’ve come to know. You’re a jackass and you lied to me about your drinking problem. Nick told me everything.”

There was a pause and then Alex muttered two words he never would have even dreamed of saying if he’d been sober or in his right mind, “Fuck you.”

Brielle reared back as if he’d struck her. “Excuse me?”

“You heard me.” Then he rolled to the other side of the bed, once again putting his back to her.

She stared at him in shock, disbelieving that he would say that to her. To her. Finally, the anger and frustrations of the previous night rose to the surface and her glare turned icy. “Fuck me, Alex? I don’t think so. How ‘bout fuck you. How ‘bout fuck your woe is me attitude and your damn drinking problem!” Her words were mounting the angrier she became, “I tried to help you last night because I felt sorry for you and this is the thanks I get? Fuck you? Heh, yeah well, you know what…fuck you too.” Then she hurled the pillow she’d yanked away from him right back at him.

Alex turned at that and glared at her. “Get outta my room.”

“I’ll go when I damn well please.” She grabbed up the lounge pants he’d taken from Nick’s and hurled them at him. “I can’t believe that I was having feelings for someone like you! You’re nothing but an asshole who can’t control their damn cravings and get the help you need. You’re so far in denial that you wouldn’t even recognize it if it smacked you in the face!” Grabbing up the shirt she flung it his way as well.

Alex batted the clothes away with ease. His head was pounding, his throat was dry and he felt like he could puke all over the bed. And Brielle’s shrill voice was not helping matters. Half of what she was shouting at him he didn’t comprehend anyway and yes, maybe he was still a little bit drunk, but so what. “Yeah, well, when you kill your child then we’ll talk.”

Her eyes widened. “You didn’t kill your child, Alex,” she spat the words at him. “But you did fucken leave me at Nick’s. And you did lie to me about being an alcoholic. Do you know how dumb I feel for believing you? And for covering for you! I can’t believe you had me lying to your mother! Not anymore, Alexander.”

“You are really starting to piss me off.”

She leveled her gaze with his. “Then how ‘bout I leave and next time you need someone to pick up your sorry ass at a strip club, you call Renee.”

He frowned more at that. He didn’t know why she was getting under his skin the way she was, but at the moment he wanted to yell at her then pull her into the bed and fuck her till she couldn’t see straight. It was like a tug-o-war between his brain and his penis. “Renee hates me,” was all he could manage out.

Brielle refused to feel sorry for him. “I’m starting to see why.” She shook her head. “You’re impossible and I can’t deal with this anymore. I hope you really enjoy your hangover.” Then she turned on her heel and strode from the room, shutting the door hard behind her.

A frown was set deeply on her face and she turned from his bedroom and nearly jumped a mile in the air at the sight of Denise standing three feet in front of her. There’s no telling how long she’d been there or what she heard, but from the expression on the older woman’s face, it was more than enough.

“Denise.” She put a hand to her chest in an attempt to slow her racing heart.

The red headed woman smoothed her shirt. “Brielle,” her eyes shifted to the closed bedroom door then back to the blonde, “what’s going on?”

Brielle wet her bottom lip and studied her. She wasn’t going to lie to Denise anymore; the woman deserved better and she didn’t want to be wrapped up in all the drama with Alex’s drinking. And the anger and hurt she was feeling, she didn’t want to keep bottled up. She needed to talk to someone and Denise obviously wanted to know the truth. Making a decision, she tucked some hair behind her ear then motioned toward her bedroom. “I think it’s time we talked.”

~*~*~*~*~

When Alex finally emerged from his bedroom it was well into the afternoon. His head was still pounding and his stomach rolling with waves of nausea. His conversation with Brielle was on the front of his mind, but he couldn’t remember everything she had said. He knew she was upset and he remembered saying a few inappropriate things to her, but that’s about it. The entire night was a big fog to him and when he’d awoke on Nick’s floor, naked, he didn’t know she had been there. The last thing he could recollect was making the decision to go into the strip club. He would never have taken off and left her there on purpose. She had to know that.

“Well, someone decided to join the land of the living,” his mother’s voice chirped when he shuffled into his kitchen.

“Not in the mood, Ma.” He pulled a mug from the cabinet and poured himself some coffee.

“I don’t care if you’re in the mood or not, have a seat.” She pulled a chair from the table and he knew from her tone and the look in her eyes not to argue.

Sinking into the chair, Alex set his coffee on the table. “I really don’t want a lecture.”

“I don’t care if you want one or not, you’re gonna get one.” She frowned and began to pace back and forth next to his seat. “Drinking again? Getting yourself so wasted that you pass out and forget everything? I can’t believe you’re sunk that low after everything you’ve done to overcome your problems.”

The tattooed man frowned. “Mom, it’s really not any of your business.”

“Not my business?!” She turned to face him. “You are my son; it’s always my business! Do you have any idea how this is affecting Brielle? How it’s hurting your relationship with her?” Her hazel eyes flashed. “She is furious with you, Alexander, and she has every right to be. You lied to her!”

He frowned. “I never lied. I just…didn’t tell her the whole truth.”

She placed her hands face down on the table and came eye to eye with him. “You. Lied.”

“I wasn’t lying.”

“You led that poor girl to believe that you had a handle on your drinking and that you had no issues before. You were in rehab, for pete’s sake! You’re an alcoholic who isn’t supposed to be drinking and you’re out there drinking yourself into oblivion!”

He sighed and slouched in the chair, knowing she was right. And he wasn’t feeling well enough to dispute it or try to make excuses.

Denise sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. “Have you called your sponsor?”

“I don’t need to call my sponsor.”

“You don’t need to call your sponsor? Are you even hearing yourself, son? You nearly drank yourself into alcohol poisoning last night and you leave Brielle at Nick’s then get into a fight with her so big that she doesn’t know if she wants to stay here anymore. And you don’t think you need to call your sponsor!”

His head snapped up at that. “She doesn’t want to stay here?”

“Can you blame her?”

His shoulders drooped and his head ducked. No, he couldn’t blame her. Not after the way he talked to her. “I guess not.”

Denise sighed and shook her head. “You need help, Alex. If you don’t get a handle on this now, then it’s going to get worse and you’re going to be right back where you were ten years ago. Is that what you want?”

“Of course it’s not what I want!” Anger surged through him and he glared at her. “And I am getting a handle on it.”

“Oh really?” Her arms folded across her chest as she met his glare straight on. “Telling her to fuck off is getting a handle on it?”

Alex stilled. “I…I told her that? I know she told me to do the same.”

“You sure did.”

He sighed and put his elbows on the table, hiding his face in his hands. “Shit.”

“You don’t even remember it?”

He shook his head.

Denise sighed and when she spoke again, her voice was softer, “Alex, honey, I know that you care about her greatly and I know you don’t want to run her off,” she pulled a chair out and sank down in the one next to his, “and that’s why you need to get in touch with your sponsor. When you drink, you know that you aren’t yourself and you do things and you say things that you would never do or say sober. But then when you are sober, the hurt and damage from what happened is still there. It doesn’t go away just because the alcohol does.”

He gave a groan and dropped his head into his arms.

His mother reached over and smoothed a hand over his back. “You’re a strong man, Alex, and I have seen you overcome much worse than this. We’ll help get you back on the right track again.”

But he wasn’t sure if he’d ever get there. Nothing would be the same after this and he couldn’t pretend it would be or pretend he was okay. He wasn’t and his sponsor wasn’t going to help whatsoever with what Alex was going through. “I don’t think any sponsor is going to fix my problems, Mom,” he spoke muffled from the crook of his arm.

Denise thought he sounded near tears. “Baby, what’s going on?”

Alex lifted his head and rubbed his face. “I’m in love with Brielle and she wants nothing to do with me and Renee lost the baby because I broke up with her. The stress was too much and she miscarried.”

“Oh…ooh, Alex, ooh no, baby.” Tears filled her eyes.

He nodded and squeezed his eyes shut, pressing his fingers to them.

“Sweetheart, I’m so sorry.” She reached over and took his free hand.

Alex cleared his throat. “I…it’s all my fault.”

“Oh, baby, no it’s not.”

“Yes it is,” he choked out.

Denise sighed and tugged his arm until he looked at her. “Alex, you did not cause this to happen. Yes, it’s a horrible thing, but it’s not your fault.”

“The doctor told her it was the stress.” He was trying so hard not to cry but the tears were gathering in his eyes. “I did that to her.”

“Oh, baby.” She slipped from the chair and pulled him into her arms, hugging him close only the way a mother could. “I’m so sorry,” she whispered, pressing her lips to his head and holding them there.

He mumbled something she couldn’t make out and then he began to weep. Tears streamed from his eyes and wet her shirt and he clung to her like he would when he was a child and his father would tear his spirits apart over and over.

It was a pivotal moment for Alex and once they started, the tears wouldn’t stop. He’d been holding onto too much for too long and everything had crashed together and the dam had finally broken. The tears flowed and Denise held him close and tight, whispering motherly words to try and comfort him.

“It’s not always going to feel this horrible,” she finally voiced louder, smoothing his hair and lifting his head from her chest to look him in the face.

“How did you…how did you handle it?” He was referring to his twin sisters that had been born stillborn when he was just a small child.

Denise sighed. “It’s not something you ever get over, but with time you learn how to cope and accept what has happened.”

Alex pulled away then rose from his seat and took a napkin from the counter. He wiped his eyes and nose then tossed it into the trash. “I ruined her life, Mom. How is she supposed to get over something like this?”

“She’ll learn how to move past it, as will you.”

“I don’t know if I can.”

“I know, sweetheart.” She approached him from behind and gave his shoulder a squeeze. “But you will be able to work through this.”

He pulled away from her. “How do you know?”

“Because I know you and because you’re my son. You can overcome whatever you put your mind to. I’m not saying it will be overnight; both you and Renee have a hard road ahead of you, but I know that in the end, you’ll be okay.”

His eyes shifted to her. “Renee too?”

Denise pressed her lips together and gave a nod. “Renee too.”

He sighed and his mother guided him to the table and back into the seat. “Now, what’s this about Brielle?”

Alex groaned and slouched. “Do we have to talk about this? I’m in so much trouble with her. I can’t believe I up and left her at Nick’s. I …” he sighed and shook his head, “I was still half drunk and my head was pounding and I just wanted to go home and go to bed. I don’t remember her being there.”

“Well, she’s very upset.”

“Heh.” Wonderful, now he had to smooth things over with her yet again. There was definitely a pattern here.

“She has a reason to be, Alex. Your behavior and your misleading and how you talked to her was uncalled for.”

“I really don’t need a lecture, Mother.”

Denise frowned. “She’s contemplating moving out. And unless you want that to become a reality instead of just an idea, you’ll get yourself straightened out and smooth things over with her.” He pouted, but she ignored it. “Call your sponsor, Alex. It’s the best thing you could do for anybody right now.”

“Maybe.”

His mother sighed and watched as he stared into his cup of coffee. It wasn’t what she wanted to hear him say, but it was definitely better than a no. Maybe just a little more persuasion was what he needed. At least she hoped so.

~*~*~*~*~

Brielle carried her fresh laundry down the hall towards her bedroom. After her talk with Denise, the older woman had sent her and Tony out on some errands and then after she spoke with her son, done the blonde’s laundry.

She really owed a lot to Denise. It had been hard to admit that Alex had a problem and had lied to her about it, but she knew it needed to be out there. Denise had taken it in stride, admitting that she had a sinking feeling he was back to his old ways. She did omit the reason for his binge last night, feeling he really needed to be the one to tell his mom. But she told her everything she could. When it was over, both were in tears and hugging the other.

And now, Brielle had a decision to make; go or stay. Alex had a long road ahead of him with the miscarriage, his relationship with Renee and trying to get sober again and she didn’t want to hamper him in any way. Besides, she was hurt and upset and angry and still couldn’t believe his behavior toward her. Maybe they both needed a little space.

The only problem with that was where would she go? She didn’t have her grandfather’s money yet and she knew he would be up in arms if she went all the way back to New York. But right now she felt like she was losing her mind.

The sight of Alex sitting in the glider in her room surprised her and she jerked some, not having expected to see him there. Immediately, her cheeks flushed and she felt like he’d caught her red handed in her thoughts about needing space.

“What are you doing in here?” She questioned him, moving to the dresser and setting the clothes atop it.

“I wanted to talk to you.”

“So now you want to talk?” Her voice was cool, like when you climb from a heated pool and tiny goosebumps arise in your skin at contact with the air.

Alex sighed. He knew he deserved her icy attitude, but it didn’t help things. “I would like to talk to you.”

She began to put the shirts into the bureau. “I’m not interested in hearing your excuses.”

“They’re not excuses.” He rose from the chair.

“I don’t care to hear any more lies either.”

He knew he deserved that one as well, but it didn’t make the sting any less painful. “I’m not going to lie to you.”

“And you expect me to believe that?” She shut the drawer hard and turned to face him, her brows arched in disbelief.

His shoulders drooped. “Brielle, I-”

“Save it, Alex. I’m not interested in hearing whatever you have to say at the moment.” Then she turned on her heel and strode from the room.

He blinked and followed her out. “I’m trying to talk to you. I want to apologize.”

Brielle paused at that, her back stiffening. She stared straight ahead then after what seemed like a long moment, turned to face him. “That’s all you seem to do; apologize. Well, I’m not in the mood to hear it.” She paused a moment and something flashed in her eyes. “I trusted you, Alex,” She spoke, sounding more disappointed and hurt than angry. Then before he could respond, she turned and strode away from him again.

He felt her words slice right through him and watched her go. Well, if she had only been teasing the idea of moving out, after this, she’d probably really do it. He couldn’t let this happen. She was too important to him. He had to make this right. He had to make her trust him again.

Dropping his head into his hands, he slowly sank down onto the carpet. Maybe he needed more help than he realized.

Chapter End Notes:

Over the last few weeks I've been doing some thinking on ways to make the fic more interactive and to involve more people. I know at book clubs, people sit and discuss the book and how it makes them feel and what they think about the characters and the choices they make and the plot. So I thought I'd try that too.

I'm going to be posting some discussion questions that you are welcome to answer. And if you have your own questions, please post in a comment and I will gladly answer them. I just can't give anything away about the fic, as much as some of you would love that. ;)

We'll see how this goes and for those of you that already give your thoughts and ask questions, please continue to do so. I'm just trying to add on to the experience. Now, onto the questions.

1. Was Brielle in the right to be so upset with Alex for leaving her at Nick's? Should she forgive and forget because he didn't remember that she was there?

2. Do you agree with what Brielle said to Alex during their argument in his bedroom? Should she have been more forgiving under the circumstances?

3. Move out or stay there? Do the two need some space or should they continue to live together?

And just for fun: what can Alex do to gain her trust back?

Thank you guys and I'm looking forward to hearing what you think. :)