- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Holiday season always keeps me so busy so I apologize for the delay in posting. I hope you're still reading this fic. Thanks to those who are. :)

“What is going on up there?” Brielle questioned as she tried to peer out ahead of the black Porsche Cayenne Alex was slowly steering toward the nightclub. It was Friday night, January 28th, and they were arriving for Nick’s big birthday bash. Up ahead at the entrance of the club, and where the valet parking was, all she could make out were mobs of people and flashing lights.

Next to her, Alex frowned and gave a sound of disgust. “No, it’s the paparazzi.”

“What?” Her round eyes widened and she gripped the armrest. “The paparazzi? Are you sure?”

“Completely.” His frown deepened. Since the news of Renee’s treachery four days ago had come out, he’d been doing his best to ignore it. His publicist wanted him to make a statement about Brielle and his mother wanted him to do an interview to set the record straight. At first, that’s what he thought he should do, but the more he thought it over, the more he realized it wasn’t anyone’s damn business and he wasn’t going to say a word until he was ready. And clearly, he wasn’t there yet. So Brielle, Renee’s lies and all his issues and problems were going to stay out of the limelight.

“Why are they here?” She peered ahead, trying to crane her neck around the vehicle in front of them.

“Because they want the money shots,” came his reply. He looked her way. “Just stay in the vehicle until I come get your door. They’re gonna be shouting questions and taking pictures, so make sure to keep your eyes at the ground so the lights don’t blind you and you trip.”

This time it was Brielle’s turn to frown. “That doesn’t sound safe.”

“It’s not really, but there’s not much that can be done.” Then he flipped his visor down and reached over to do the same to hers. “This will help while we’re in the SUV.”

“Wow, it’s pretty serious, huh?”

He frowned and the muscle in his jaw twitched. “Think of it like they’re a pack of lions and you’re the lovely gazelle.”

“Bitches.”

That made him laugh despite the annoyance he was feeling over the situation. “Assholes and bastards is more like it, but that works, too.”

She giggled low and then soon they were pulling up to the curb in the valet and the pack of photographers was descending. Alex slipped from the driver’s side and quickly crossed behind the SUV to her door. Even before he made it, the money hungry paparazzi were shouting their questions and flashbulbs were going off like it was the fourth of July.

Brielle did her best to keep her head down when Alex opened her door and took her hand, helping her onto the sidewalk. She was worried she was going to trip and fall on her face and hurt herself or the baby, but Alex kept a firm grip just above her elbow as he steered them toward the VIP entrance of the club. They were surrounded before she even had a chance to blink and the questions flew at them faster than a fast-pitch in baseball.

“AJ, AJ, is this the woman who ruined your relationship with your fiancée?”

“Is it true she’s having your baby?”

“Are you in a relationship with her? What about your fiancée?”

“Come on, AJ, we just want a few answers!”

“Are you cheating on her?”

“What’s your name, sweetheart?”

“When’s the baby due?”

“How do you feel about causing your fiancée to lose her baby?”

“AJ, are you drinking again?”

Brielle felt like her head was spinning and she had no idea how Alex managed to work them through the throng of photographers and into the building. She had tried to keep her head down, but it was almost impossible with the closeness of the paps and the flashbulbs were nearly blinding her.

But they made it inside and she had to take a few moments for her eyes to adjust and her heart to stop racing. It had risen up into her throat and she reached up, massaging her fingers at it in an attempt to calm herself.

“Are you okay?” Alex gently pulled her to the side and looked her over. “They didn’t touch you, did they?”

“N...no,” her voice wavered, matching the trembles she felt throughout her body. “That…that was worse than the last time.”

He sighed and pulled her into his arms, trying to will her body to stop shaking. “Well, there were a shitload more than last time, too.” He was referring to the time they had left the doctor’s office to find the small group of paparazzi waiting outside.

“I felt like I couldn’t breathe,” her words were muffled against his chest.

“I’m so sorry.” He tightened his hold on her and kissed her head, leaving his lips pressed to her soft hair.

They stayed like that for a moment then Brielle finally pulled back and smoothed the dark dress she wore. It hung around her in a way to halfway disguise her stomach so only those that knew she was expecting would be able to tell. And the jacket she wore over it helped to conceal it to anyone who just might suspect like all the photographers had.

“I need to pee.”

Alex chuckled and took her hand in his. “Okay, let’s get you to a bathroom then we’ll go up into the VIP and see Nick.”

At that comment, the blonde’s eyes widened in horror. “Oh no! We left his present in the car!” She could picture in her head exactly where it was; on the console between the two seats, a shiny, silver gift bag with shimmery, blue tissue paper.

Alex blinked. “Shit. I was too worried about getting you safely inside the building.”

Brielle shifted her gaze toward the entrance doors then shook her head adamantly. “We can’t go back out there. They’d eat us alive.”

“Don’t you worry about that.” He took her gently by the shoulders and began to steer her toward the restrooms. “I’ll have someone run out and get it for us. Let’s get you to the bathroom.”

And that’s what they did. Brielle felt much better after she was able to use the restroom then refresh herself in the mirror. Luckily, she carried some extra lipgloss and powder in her clutch just for that purpose.

After meeting up with Alex outside the door, they checked their jackets then found their way to the VIP and were allowed past the club security and into the area. Someone had decorated it with silver and gold crepe paper and streamers and a large banner that read Happy Birthday, Nick! was strung above the bar.

“Wow, decorations and everything,” she said to Alex, finding herself having to speak up over the sounds of the music that was reverberating off the walls and filling the air around them. Over the balcony to the dance floor below, the regular club attendees were dancing away, drinking and partying.

“It’s either ‘go big or go home’ when it comes to Nick.”

She chuckled at that and tried to peer around the crowd that was gathering. “Do you see him? I want to find Laurel.”

Alex was quiet a moment as he studied the faces then he pointed over toward the bar. “He’s right there, doing the shot. Laurel’s next to him.” He gently prodded her in that direction. “Go on over, I’m gonna get someone to grab the gift from the car. I’ll be right there.”

She nodded then made her way across the room, weaving through the throngs of people that were talking and laughing and seemed to be having a good time.

“Hey, guys,” she greeted them once she was within hearing distance.

Laurel’s eyes brightened at the sight of her new friend. “Brielle, you made it!” She slipped from the stool and drew the blonde in for a quick hug and kiss on the cheek. “I’m so glad you did.”

“Yeah, the place looks great.” Brielle glanced around at the decorations again then back to Laurel and Nick. “Happy Birthday, Nick.”

He set his empty shot glass on the bar and pushed it away then flashed his dazzling grin. “Thank you. I’m glad you decided to come. Where’s Aje?”

“Oh, um, he had to talk to someone,” she blurted out, not wanting to tell him they had forgotten his gift in the SUV and needed to retrieve it. “He’ll be over here in a minute.”

Nick nodded at that. “So, everything going okay with you two?”

“I guess so.” She gave a half shrug.

“I saw that article.”

Brielle frowned and fiddled with the closure of her handbag. “Oh.”

Laurel rolled her crystal blue eyes and smacked her boyfriend lightly on the arm. “Ignore him; he’s drunk and sometimes he says things he shouldn’t when he is. I told him not to bring that up tonight. But of course, he never listens to me.”

“Oh, no, that’s okay.” She gave a slight chuckle. “It’s a really sore spot for Alex right now, so please don’t say anything to him. The press already caught us outside and hammered him.”

Nick’s own blue eyes hardened. “You mean the paparazzi? They don’t deserve being called press. They’re a bunch of wolves out for blood and could care less about us. We’re people, too, you know.”

Brielle tried to hide her chuckle. “I know you are.”

“You don’t think we want normal lives?”

“I’m sure you do.”

“Damn straight.” He nodded firmly in a way to say that was final then turned back to the bar and ordered another shot.

Next to him, Laurel rolled her eyes again then slipped closer to the blonde. “I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have anything to be sorry for.”

The brunette smiled a smile that showed off her pearly whites. “So, how are you feeling?”

Brielle glanced to her stomach than back to Laurel. “I’m doing okay, actually. I started feeling the baby moving around inside after you dropped me off on Monday.”

“Really?” The other female’s eyes widened. “Can we feel it yet?”

“No yet.” Brielle shook her head. “The books say you guys won’t be able to feel anything for a few more weeks yet.”

Laurel shook her head some. “Gosh, I can’t believe you’re at the halfway point and you’re hardly showing. I hope when I have kids that I’ll be like that. Though my luck, I’ll be the size of a cruise ship before the thing’s born.”

Brielle laughed. “Aw, you don’t know that. You’re so skinny you might not show.”

“Are you kidding me?” She pressed a hand to her flat belly. “This thing will pop right out and I’ll knock down someone standing ten feet away.”

That mental made her laugh and she had to turn her head to the side.

“What’s so funny?” Alex’s voice came from her left as he joined the group and slipped an arm around her waist.

Laurel giggled then waved a hand at him. “Oh, just girl talk.” She leaned in and kissed his cheek. “Glad you could make it. How are you?”

“I’m doing good.” He squeezed her hand in a friendly gesture then glanced over to where Nick was engrossed in a conversation with a friend. “I’ll have to give my greetings to the birthday boy in a bit.”

Brielle’s eyes flittered to his face. “He’s kinda drunk.”

Alex snorted some. “It’s his birthday; he usually gets drunk on those days.”

“Are you going to be okay to be here?” She questioned, turning toward him more and keeping her voice low so just Alex could hear her.

“Yes, baby.” He kissed her temple. “Like I told you at the house, if I start having troubles I will let you know. You remember our code word?”

She grinned. “Orange juice.”

“Right, if I tell you I have a weird craving for orange juice, that means, let’s get the hell out of here.”

“Right, I remember.” She wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged him from the side.

“Gosh, you two make such a cute couple,” Laurel’s voice interrupted their private conversation.

Brielle giggled softly. “Thank you.”

“Yeah, it’s about time you two got together and got that bitch out of the way.”

Three sets of eyes turned to where Nick had joined them.

He shrugged. “It’s true.”

Alex chuckled. “Thanks, man. We’re pretty glad things are turning out the way they are, too.” Then he stepped away from Brielle and greeted Nick in a handshake, half hug, back thump kind of way. “Happy Birthday.”

“Thank you, thank you.” Nick returned the greeting then pulled Laurel to his side. “Brielle told us about the run-in you had outside.”

The muscle in Alex’s jaw twitched at the memory. “Yeah, it wasn’t very pleasant.”

“Well, hell, it never is.”

“Got that right. And I think when we take off; we’ll slip out the back entrance.”

Nick’s eyes widened. “Ooh, that’s a good idea.” He exchanged a glance with his girlfriend. “We may do that, too.”

Alex laughed at that then let his eyes survey the room. “You have quite a turn out.”

“I know right,” Nick agreed. “Howie even said he may come by, but I haven’t seen him yet.”

“He’s not gonna show. You know that’s how he is ‘yeah, yeah, man, I’ll definitely stop by for a bit’ and he never shows.”

Nick snorted in laughter. “I’ll have to rag on him about it on Monday.”

“Tell him you waited all night and were so disappointed when he didn’t make it.”

“He broke my heart.”

Laurel laughed and nudged Nick with her arm. “You two are awful.”

He smirked then kissed loudly on her neck. “Mmkay, I think we’re going to go dance for a bit. We’ll catch you two later. Have a good time!” Then he whisked her off and Alex and Brielle were left standing alone.

“Well, he’s definitely a different person when he’s drunk.”

Alex chuckled. “He really is. He loses all his inhibitions and responsibility. He’ll say whatever’s on his mind and not care how it offends anyone.”

Brielle nodded her head in agreement. “I can definitely see that happening.”

He chuckled again then wrapped his arm around her shoulders and steered them toward a table. “Are you thirsty or anything? You want something to drink?”

“Actually, I kind of want to go dance.”

“Oh yeah,” a grin tugged at his lips, “then right this way.” And he was leading her away from the tables and toward the dance floor.

They spent the next few hours dancing and visiting with the other party goers. Brielle met more people than name’s she could remember and someone did bring their gift into the party, though she had no idea who it was. Finally, everyone gathered around a long table where a large white cake decorated with gold and silver and spelling out ‘Happy Birthday, Nick’ covered the top. Thirty-one candles adorned it and Nick made a wish then blew them all out in one breath.

Afterward, came the gift opening and more visiting and finally some time well after midnight, Alex and Brielle gave their goodbyes, gathered their belongings and made their escape out the back door.

The small alleyway was silent as they slipped out the door and Brielle breathed a sigh of relief. She had been expecting another pack of the photographers to be waiting. “Thank God,” she whispered out to Alex as he led her down the slight steps and toward the direction the SUV would be waiting.

“I know right.” His grip on her hand relaxed and together they strode away from the nightclub. “Did you have a good time?”

“I did.” She smiled at him. “Nick certainly knows how to throw a party.”

“That he does. He’s always been that way though. Wherever we are he knows how to find a good time.”

“I bet he has; he seems to be the party boy type.” They rounded a corner and suddenly flahsbulbs were going off right in front of her eyes and temporarily blinding her.

“AJ, did you drink tonight? How was Nick’s party? Have you heard from your fiancée since you broke her heart? How do you feel about losing a child, but expecting another? Is this the mother? When are you due? What’s your name, sweet thing?”

The questions bombarded them and when Alex’s vision cleared enough to be able to see, he felt anger slicing through him at the lone guy that was taking shot after shot and getting right in Brielle’s face. She looked like a deer in headlights with eyes so wide and frightened and her hands up as if to ward him off if he decided to lunge at her.

“Hey, knock it off!” He shouted at the guy, grabbing his shoulder and yanking him away from her. “Leave her alone!”

The guy, who couldn’t be older than twenty and had tousled blond hair, stumbled back but kept his footing. “I’m just asking a few measly questions. If she’d answer them then I would be on my way.” Then held the camera up and zeroed in on the look of rage on Alex’s face. “Oh, that’s going to be a great shot.”

“She doesn’t have to answer anything. She’s not a fucken celebrity!” And he was swiping at the camera, catching the corner and ripping it from the younger man’s fingers. “I should shove this down your fucken throat!”

The pap’s eyes widened and he grabbed back for the camera. “Give me my camera!”

“Make me,” Alex sneered. “You’d fucken deserve it if I smashed this to bits!”

Brielle watched the scene unfold in horror. “Alex!” She gasped out.

But he didn’t seem to hear her. Instead, he lifted the camera as if he were going to hurl it to the ground.

“Alex, don’t! She grabbed for his arm. The last thing they needed was some kind of lawsuit from this punk. “It’s not worth it.”

Alex shifted his eyes toward her. “It would be.”

“No, it wouldn’t.” She shook her head for emphasis. “He’d sue you. Do you really want to give him that option?”

Though anger was just rolling off him, his voice was considerably calm when he spoke to her, “I could really care less at the moment.”

“But I could.” She gave his arm a gentle shake. “Please, just give him back his camera and let’s go home.”

Alex frowned. That was not something he wanted to do at the moment. He’d love nothing more than to make this guy pay for scaring Brielle, taking her picture and being a prick. Glancing toward where the pap was watching the two, he finally let his shoulders slump and shoved the camera at him. “Take your damn camera and get out of my fucken face before I change my mind.”

The young man grabbed the object then took off down the alleyway and was soon out of view.

“Pussy,” Alex muttered as he watched him flee.

Brielle held in a chuckle and took his hand. “Thank you.”

He frowned then withdrew his hand and ran it over his face before sliding it around her waist. “You do realize that I did that for you. If I’d had my way, he’d be eating that damn thing right now.”

“I know.” They started back on the path they were headed. “And I appreciate it. But we’ve really got to work on your swearing. You can’t cuss around the baby.”

“Shit.” He shook his head and gave a low laugh. “Yeah, I guess we really don’t want the kid’s first words to be ‘fuck’.”

“Or anything else like that.”

“People would wonder if we were some kind of heathens.”

“Yeah, it’d just be really bad and I don’t want some old lady swinging her purse at me or calling child services.” She looked to him with hopeful eyes. “So, let’s work on that.”

“The crazy things I do for you.” He met her gaze then paused in their walking and brushed his free hand over her cheek. “I hope you realize you are the first person that I find myself doing things I’d never do for anyone else.”

“I know.” Brielle leaned in and kissed his cheek. “And it makes me love you even more.”

He grinned at that then lightly brushed his lips over hers. “And it damn-err, darn sure shows how much I love you.”

She giggled then took his hand and led him along. “Let’s go home. I think I want to take a nice, hot, relaxing bubble bath then go to bed and sleep till noon tomorrow.”

“Whatever you want, baby.” And they strode hand in hand back to the SUV.

~*~*~*~*~

The following day, Brielle did indeed sleep until noon. Once she finally awoke, she showered and dressed then made her way downstairs to find the house silent. Alex was nowhere in sight and that slightly alarmed her considering he usually left a note. But there was no note, nothing to indicate where he might have gone. Taking an orange from the fridge, she began to peel it and tried not to let her imagination run away with her.

She was halfway through eating the orange slices when he finally entered the house from the garage, a large bouquet of vivid red roses in his hands. He looked slightly surprised at seeing her at the table, but then recovered and set the vase of roses onto the counter and shrugged out of his jacket. “Good afternoon.”

“Hi,” she greeted him, her eyes trained on the flowers.

“How’d you sleep?” He bent and kissed her cheek then hung his jacket on the coat rack in the corner.

“Like a baby.” Tearing her eyes away from the bouquet she watched him. “Who are the roses for?”

Alex watched her with a sheepish expression. “For you. I was hoping you’d still be in bed so I could surprise you upstairs with them.”

Brielle wiped her sticky fingers on a napkin. “Oh? Do you want me to go upstairs and pretend like I’m still sleeping?”

“No,” he laughed low then took up the vase and set it on the table in front of her and the orange slices, “but thank you for trying to appease me. These are for you.”

“Gosh, they’re so beautiful.” She pushed the napkin containing her orange to the side and pulled the vase closer. The flowers were deep and vivid and the red contrast with the green stems made them seem so alluring, like you couldn’t look away. There had to be a dozen or more of them with some baby’s breath mixed in to add some flair. “What’s the occasion?”

Alex gave a grin. “Read the card.”

“Ooh, a card.” She giggled low then located the small white envelope tucked amidst them. Slipping it from the holder, she opened it and pulled out the card. “Brielle,” she began to read aloud, “I told you I would make it official.” She paused and read it over again silently then turned toward him, opening her mouth to question what it meant when she stopped.

Alex was down on one knee at her chair with a small black box in his hand, the lid open to reveal the most amazing and breathtaking diamond ring she had ever seen. A grin tugged at the corner of his lips, but she could see the nervousness in his eyes. “Brielle,” he spoke with a slight tremor to his voice. “I know that we haven’t known each other long, but I know without a doubt there’s no one else I want to be with. You’ve come into my life and filled an empty spot that I never thought I’d fill. I’ve never felt this way before and I want nothing more than to make you my wife and live the rest of my life feeling the way I do right now.” He hesitated then pressed forward, “I know that this is so cliché, but you really do complete me. So,” he wet his lips and raised the ring box toward her, “will you marry me?”

She was speechless. She knew he was going to officially ask her, but this had caught her completely off guard. Here she was sitting at the table in a ratty t-shirt with sticky fingers and juice from the orange dribbling down her chin and he was proposing. What a sight this was. “Alex,” she finally found her voice. “I…wow,” giggles slipped from between her lips as she gaped at the ring cushioned in the box. She’d never seen anything so grand or big or expensive.

Alex wet his bottom lip again then peeked from the ring to her face. “Is that a yes? I know you already told me you would, but what if you’ve changed your mind.”

He sounded so nervous and afraid and it pulled at her heartstrings. “Oh gosh, no, baby, no, I haven’t changed my mind.” Tears filled her eyes and she reached for him. “Yes, I’ll marry you. A thousand times, yes.”

Relief flood through him as Brielle met him on the floor. Pulling her into his arms, he pressed his face into her neck and held her close. It felt so right; the moment, the proposal, Brielle being the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, the little baby being formed in her belly that would join them in a few more months. He’d waited his entire life for a moment like this and a woman like her. God was finally being gracious to him.

“Gosh,” Brielle spoke as she pulled back and wiped at her cheeks, “this was the last thing I was expecting today.”

He smirked at that and brushed some tears from under her eyes. “I’m glad I could surprise you. And I hope you like this.” And then he was lifting the ring box again, the light catching on the stone and making it sparkle.

“I’ve…I’ve never…wow,” she laughed and wiped at her cheeks again, “I’ve never had…is that…it’s so big!”

He chuckled and gently extracted it from the velvet cushion. “It’s 2.5 carats with nearly another carat worth of diamonds set in the band.”

“It’s so beautiful,” she breathed out in amazement as he took her left hand and gently slipped it onto her ring finger and over the knuckle so it settled in place.

“Perfect fit.” He smiled broadly then kissed her knuckles before releasing her hand.

She was surprised it didn’t feel any heavier than it did. “Is this thing going to strain my finger?”

Alex laughed. “Let’s hope not. May take some getting used to though.”

Brielle giggled then studied the radiant cut, solitaire diamond set in platinum with tiny little diamonds embedded around the entire band. She didn’t even want to think about how much it cost or getting it dirty or scratched or, God forbid, losing it down the drain. Though the size of the thing, it didn’t look like it would even fit in the drain.

She giggled again then brought her eyes to Alex’s and kissed his lips. “Thank you. It’s beautiful, you’re beautiful and I love you so much.”

He caught her face in his hands and kissed her slowly and tenderly, letting his emotions spill into it so she would be aware of what he was feeling. He felt her sigh and melt into him and her arms wound their way around his body, her own emotions falling right into his soul and filling his body with warmth and love and contentment.

“You’re amazing,” Brielle breathed out softly once they pulled apart, their mouths just inches away from each others.

He couldn’t stop the grin that covered his face. “I’m so in love with you. I think I have been since the first night we met. And you have no idea how thankful I am that we found each other again.”

She couldn’t stop smiling either. “I have a pretty good idea considering I feel the same way.”

“Mm, good.” Then he kissed her again and again, over and over until they were both breathless and holding each other tight, their hearts beating wildly against their chests. And in that moment, Alex knew he was right where he needed to be and Brielle was right where she belonged…forever.