- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Have been having computer issues, but hopefully everything's fixed now. And an update as well for you to enjoy. Thanks so much and as always, I love to hear your thoughts. Enjoy :)

Brielle stared in shock at the computer screen. She was seated in Alex’s office and had just signed into the online banking at one of the banks her grandfather’s lawyer had set up an account at on her behalf. The account summary and ending balance was an astonishing amount and that was only one of the accounts. There was no way she’d be able to handle this herself so she had hired her grandfather’s accountant on as her own and so far he had been a Godsend. The blonde had no idea how to even begin spending that kind of money. Of course, she wanted to save a lot of it for the baby and one of the accounts had been set up for just that and now that she was getting married, she wanted to help pay for the wedding, whenever that would be. And then there was Alex, and everything he had done for her, so she would definitely have to pay him back. And she had been thinking about donating a large sum to the homeless shelters in New York City. And she definitely wanted to get Lily and Jordan an amazing wedding gift. But the rest…well it was just going to have to sit there and collect interest for awhile.

“What’s going on in here?”

Alex’s voice drifted into her head and she looked over to find him entering the room. “I was just looking at one of my new bank accounts.”

He lifted his brows at that. “Ooh, nice, huh?” Then moved around the desk to peer at the screen with her. “You’ve got enough there to live comfortably for a long while.”

“I know right.” She sighed and sank back into the chair, rubbing her forehead. “It makes my head hurt.”

“Aww,” he kissed the top of her head then stood up straight. “Are you hungry? I thought maybe we could go out somewhere for lunch.”

Brielle began closing out of her account. “That sounds really good, actually. I was just sitting here thinking that I’d love a big cheeseburger and a pickle.” The ring on her finger caught her eye and she had to hold in a giggle. She still couldn’t believe she was engaged and to someone as wonderful as Alex. One day they would be married and have the rest of their lives to spend together; that was a feeling unlike any other she’d ever had before and it warmed her from the inside out.

“Then let’s get out of here.” Alex leaned and swiped a cap from the corner of his desk when the phone in his back pocket gave its shrill ring. Making a sound in his throat, he pulled it out and checked the ID. “It’s Whitley.”

“Wonder what sh-ooh no!” Her eyes widened as the events from two nights ago flashed through her mind; Alex’s altercation with the photographer that had been hiding out in the alley after Nick’s birthday party.

His dark eyes met hers and she knew he was thinking the same thing. Wetting his bottom lip, he pushed to accept the call then held it to his ear. “Whitley, hey.”

“Alex, what are we going to do with you? Seriously, honey. If it’s not one thing it’s another. The press are having a field day with you,” her normally cheery voice held a note of annoyance and it made him inwardly wince.

“What’s going on now, Whit?”

“You and your temper is what. There’s footage of you just about taking out one of the paps. He looks like he’s just a kid, Alex.”

He rolled his eyes. “He was in Brielle’s face and asking things about Renee and the whole pregnancy deal. She was freaked out and I couldn’t let him harass her like that.”

“You nearly got yourself a lawsuit.”

“Who gives a fuck?” He could feel himself bristling and clenched his free hand into a fist.

“Well, regardless of if he deserved it or not, someone caught the whole ordeal on video and it’s circulating the web and television. And of course the rumors and stories the video is spinning are nothing like what actually happened, but who is going to believe that when they want to think you were drunk and high and tried to kill the poor kid.”

He paused. “They think I was drunk?”

“Oh yeah,” he could almost see her nodding her head hastily, “you’re a raging alcoholic who can’t control your temper and you might want to see about taking anger management issues along with going back to rehab and/or AA.”

Alex gave a snort. “They can all go to hell for all I care.”

“Is that the official statement?”

He closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. Alex didn’t know what it was, but when it came to Brielle and her safety or her reputation, or anything dealing with her he felt like a mama bear whose cub is in danger; angry and ready to kill to keep them safe. Maybe he did need some kind of help to control his emotions.

“Can we just ignore this? You know it’ll go away once some other celebrity does something stupid, which is quite often.”

Whitley was quiet a moment before speaking, “Alright, if that’s what you want. Just remember that until all of this does eventually go away, you’re going to have to be careful about where you go. With Renee’s news and now this debacle, they’re gonna be gunning for you.”

Alex gave a sound in his throat. She was more than right and now with the engagement, it would be spotted and spread before he could even blink. If only he could take Brielle and go somewhere far away for awhile, but she had work and he had to be in the studio bright and early tomorrow morning.

“We’ll try to be careful, thanks, Whitley.”

“Anytime and I’ll keep in touch.” And with that she was gone.

Alex sighed and lowered the phone, ending the call before tucking it back into his pocket. “Alright, new plan; what if we stayed in and ordered take out?”

Brielle was watching him with a concerned expression. “Everything okay?”

“Not really.” He sank onto the edge of the desk. “Someone caught the altercation with the paparazzi on Friday night and it’s circulating around.”

“Ouch,” she made a face then reached for his hand, “I’m sorry.”

“Yeah, so Whitley has advised that we lay low until it blows over. Especially if we don’t want news of the engagement spreading like wildfire,” he added as an afterthought.

“So you want take out?” She pulled his hand over and kissed his knuckles then rose from the seat. “I can go for some tacos with lots and lots of sour cream.”

He couldn’t stop the tiny grin that tugged at his lips. The way she always seemed to understand and accept the craziness that was his life made him feel like everything was right in his life even when it so obviously wasn’t. “You’re okay with that? No big, juicy cheeseburger?”

“No, we can do take out. Ooh, how ‘bout some nachos, too?” And then she was heading for the door to scour the kitchen for the take out menus and figure which place she wanted to order from.

With a silly grin on his face, he followed behind and soon they were seated at the dining room table with their tacos and nachos and enchiladas before them.

“So, are you gonna come visit me at the studio while we’re recording?” Alex questioned as he unwrapped his enchilada and looked it over, feeling his stomach growl in response to the delicious smells.

Brielle glanced over from where she was dunking a tortilla chip into the steaming nacho cheese. “I can do that?”

“Of course, in fact, I want you to. Come see me work and hang out for a bit. Especially since I’ll be practically living there and you’ll be here alone and bored.”

That brought a frown to her face and her forehead creased. “I don’t want to be here alone. How long are you going to be at the studio?”

He shrugged then took up his enchilada and took a big bite. “It depends on how much we have to do each day,” he spoke after eating the bite and wiping his mouth. “Sometimes it’s a few hours and other times it’s all day.”

“How am I gonna get to work and back each day?”

Alex paused. “Well, you can take the SUV and I’ll drive my car.”

She seemed satisfied with that response then she sat up straight, her eyes wide. “What about the doctor appointment on Friday? You can’t miss that!”

“Oh, baby,” he chuckled low, “I’m not going to miss it. The guys know it’s coming up and I’ll be there for that then head on to the studio afterward.”

“Oh, good.” She nodded and relaxed back into the seat and the two ate in comfortable silence for a bit. Finally, she licked some sour cream from her finger and brought her baby blues back to his face. “Have you thought about if you want to find out what sex the baby is?”

Alex turned from his lunch to his fiancée. “I kinda think I want to know. I’ve never been good with waiting and that way we can decorate and prepare without having to guess or buy things that are unisex.”

She mulled that over. “That’s very true. And we can start figuring out names and when we have the baby shower people will know what to buy.” A giggle slipped from between her lips. “Oh gosh, it’s getting exciting.”

He grinned and leaned over to kiss her cheek. “It really is.”

“Okay, we’ll find out.”

Alex sat back up. “And if it’s a boy, we’ll name him AJ Jr.”

Her brows rose and she stared at him.

He laughed. “I kid, I kid. Alex Jr. is more like it.”

“You’re still kidding, right?”

He couldn’t hide his grin and laughed lowly. “Yes, I’m kidding. As much as I like my name, I don’t think I want any juniors.”

“Good, cause no offense, I don’t either.” Then she tilted her head. “Though I do think Alexander might make a nice middle name.”

“Ooh,” he tilted his own head and thought that one over, “that’s very doable. But I do have to say, I’m pretty sure we’re gonna have a girl.”

Brielle watched him as she unwrapped her second taco. “What makes you say that?”

He shrugged. “Just this feeling. I’ve always thought I’d have the first girl out of all us guys in the group. Kev, Howie and Brian all had boys so I’ve thought I’d have the first girl.” He chuckled low. “It’d be my luck that I’d have the girl.”

“You don’t want a girl?”

“No,” he shook his head and wiped his own mouth before setting the napkin back in his lap, “that’s not it at all. I do want a girl, but it also scares the shit out of me because I know what boys are like and the thought of my baby girl dealing with guys who were like me,” he chuckled low, “makes me want to lock her up in the house until she’s 45.”

Brielle laughed at that. “Aww, honey, I’m sure everything is going to be okay. We won’t have to do that.”

Alex chuckled and gave a small shrug. “I can’t help it, I don’t want her being defiled or taken advantage of. Maybe we’ll just get her a chastity belt.”

She tried not to laugh, but he was being way too precious and sweet and like a very protective father. “Aww, well if it makes you feel better to think that then we can think that.”

“Thank you.” He leaned and kissed her lips softly then sat right in his chair. “But I’m gonna make sure I’m the best damn father there is.”

She giggled low then cleared her throat, taking a chip and dragging it through the cheese in the small container. “Then you can start with not cursing anymore. The baby can hear you, you know.” She touched her stomach as if shielding her child from the harsh words.

“You’re right, you’re right, I’m sorry,” he made a face as he apologized. “I’m trying, but it’s hard to stop cold turkey. But I’ll get there.”

Brielle wiped her fingers on her napkin and reached for his hand. “I know you will and I have faith in you. You can do anything you set your mind to.”

“Damn-er, I mean darn straight,” he corrected himself. “And one day I’m gonna stop smoking, too.”

She laughed and kissed his cheek. “And I’ll be there every step of the way.”

“Good, now eat, woman.” He motioned toward her tacos. “You’re eating for two now, don’t forget.”

“Right, I’m on it.” Then she turned back to her lunch and the two fell back into the comfortable silence were no words were needed and being together was enough.

~*~*~*~*~

It was a warm Wednesday evening when Brielle headed for the front doors of the recording studio she worked at. She was running a bit behind schedule due to the meeting her boss had been in that’d run over by 45 minutes. Which shifted his whole itinerary 45 minutes back and put her 45 minutes to an hour behind as well. Normally, she didn’t mind it, but she was supposed to be meeting Alex at the studio he and his group were at and she hated being late, especially when he was expecting her. She had managed to call and let him know this, but she still hated it all the same.

“Finally heading out, huh, Brielle?”

The blonde turned to find one of her new friends, and a fellow receptionist, Ashley Underhill a few steps behind. She slowed to allow the ebony haired beauty with almond shaped dark eyes and skin that was completely flawless to catch up. “I’m running slightly behind.” She’d always wondered what Ashley’s nighttime routine was to be able to achieve skin that perfect, but had never asked.

Ashley chuckled and shifted the brown leather attaché case on her shoulder. “That’s just more overtime pay for you. And who doesn’t love time and a half?”

“I know right,” she agreed as they fell in step together toward the exit doors. Not that she needed the extra money, but she hadn’t breathed a word of her windfall to anyone other than Alex and Lily and was hoping it’d stay that way.

“So, what are your plans for tonight? A couple of us girls are meeting up at Chili’s for drinks and we thought you might could join us.” Her dark eyes swept to Brielle’s midsection then returned to her face. “I mean, we know you can’t drink with us, but the company will be good and between the two of us, when Josie’s had a few drinks in her let me tell you, it will be a night you’ll never forget.”

The blonde laughed low at that. “Aw, thank you so much for inviting me, but I have to meet up with my,” she trailed off wondering if she should call him her fiancé or just stick with boyfriend. Though the large rock in her finger was very hard to miss. “Um, I have to meet up with Alex,” she decided to go with just to be safe.

“Oh,” Ashley pressed her lips together then gave an understanding nod, “okay, well maybe next time, huh?” The two reached the doors and Ashley pushed it open for her, allowing Brielle to exit first.

“Oh definitely. I’d love to go out with you ladies sometime.” She stepped out into the dusk and what little sunlight was left as the sun began to slowly set for the evening.

Ashley slipped out behind her and gave a response, but it was quickly drowned out by the shouts and sounds as a crowd began to descend on the duo

“What the…” Brielle watched with wide eyes at the cameras and video cameras and paparazzi that began to swarm her, shouting question after question about who she was and about Alex and his sobriety and if she was indeed having his child and what she thought about Renee’s interview.

Next to her, Ashley stared in shock. “What is going on?”

Brielle moved back some as the cameramen pressed in on them, continuing to hamper her with question after question. They were shouting and yelling at her so fast she could hardly comprehend it all. “Wha…no… go away,” she managed out in a strangled voice. A panic was starting to seep into her chest and she gripped her handbag tightly, debating quickly if it would be a good enough weapon if she swung it at them.

Then, as if they suddenly noticed the brunette standing next to Brielle, they began shouting a barrage of questions her way; what was her connection with the blonde, could she give them any information about who the blonde was, how well she knew the blonde and her boyfriend Alex.

Ashley frowned and before Brielle knew what was going on, she had pulled the two of them safely back inside. “What the hell is all that?” She turned to the blonde with wide eyes.

Brielle could only shake her head, her voice caught in her throat.

Outside, the constant clicking of the cameras sounded and Ashley drew them further away from the doors and out of the paparazzi’s line of sight. “Are you okay?”

“Um…ye…yeah.” She forced herself to speak then sank down into the nearest chair. “How…how did they find me?” Her head was still whirling and it made her feel slightly lightheaded.

“Why are they after you?”

She rubbed her forehead and met her new friend’s gaze. Ashley had never met Alex nor did she know that Brielle was dating a celebrity. “Um, my…my boyfriend’s kind of famous and lately there’s been a bunch of attention on him due to various reasons.”

“Seriously?” She glanced toward the front doors then back to Brielle with a look that said she really did not have any words at the moment.

Brielle sighed and took a second to gather her composure. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know they were out there or I wouldn’t have walked out with you and gotten you dragged into this. And now, there’s no way out of here.”

Ashley pressed her lips together and Brielle could read it in her eyes how badly she wanted to know who her boyfriend was and what the paparazzi wanted with Brielle, but she didn’t voice it. “I don’t know how to get you out of here; obviously we can’t go out the front door. There’s a back entrance, but we’d still have to double back to the front to our vehicles and they’ll see us. And I’m not letting you go alone, not being pregnant and all. Those people are like snakes and your safety is the last thing they’re concerned about.”

She slumped into the chair, knowing how right the brunette was. “So, what do we do?”

“You could call your boyfriend. Or should I say your fiancé; look at the size of the rock on your hand.” And she took hold of Brielle’s hand to study the ring. “That is gorgeous.”

Brielle slowly extracted her hand, blushing some at her friend’s reaction. “Um, thank you, but that’s a good idea.” She sat up and dug her phone from her handbag, pushing the memory for Alex’s cell before holding it to her ear. It rang once then went to voicemail and she lowered it to her lap with a frown. “He shut it off.” Obviously he wouldn’t have it on if he were in the studio recording. Damn him.

Ashley frowned. “Well that’s not good.”

“No,” she drew her bottom lip between her teeth and racked her brain for a possible idea. There wasn’t anyone else she could call; the only other person she might be comfortable with would be Nick and he’d be busy recording too. Then an idea hit her. “Oh, I know!” Quickly, she scrolled through her phone and selected a name then pushed to call. Holding the phone to her ear again, she listened to the rings; one, two, three.

“Hey, girl,” Laurel’s friendly voice greeted her after the third ring.

Brielle breathed a sigh of relief. “Laurel,” she cast her eyes toward Ashley, “it’s Brielle.”

“I know,” Laurel chuckled, “your name came over on the ID. What’s going on? Are you okay?”

“Um, not really.”

“Oh my God, is it the baby? Where are you?”

Brielle blinked and shook her head. “No, no, everything’s fine with the baby; sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you like that. But um…” then quickly she filled her friend in on just what was going on.

It didn’t take Laurel long at all to conceive a plan and soon she was on her way to the studio to meet Ashley and Brielle outside the back door. Where she would then take Brielle to the studio Alex was at and return Ashley back to their own studio so she could collect her car. Hopefully by then, the paparazzi would have wandered off or been too absorbed in waiting for them to exit the building to notice Ashley slipping by.

It sounded like the perfect plan and it worked out perfectly when Laurel arrived and the two girls slipped out the back entrance unnoticed. Brielle held her breath though until they were out of the parking lot and onto the main road then she watched behind them until she was sure they weren’t being followed.

Once in the car, she gave Ashley a brief rundown with enough information to satisfy her, but without giving her all the sordid details. Ashley promised that she wouldn’t breathe a word to the paparazzi, or anyone else at the office and as much as Brielle wanted to believe her, she knew she’d be holding her breath to see if that was the truth.

When they finally arrived at the studio the group was at, Laurel helped Brielle past the security then wished her luck and was off to deliver Ashley back to her vehicle. It didn’t take long for Brielle to find her way down to the recording room and she slipped inside to find Alex bent over the soundboard with one of the producers and Nick and Brian in the booth, laying down a track.

Nick caught sight of her first and a crooked grin crossed over his lips. Suddenly, the lyrics he had been singing changed and he belted out Brielle’s entrance which caused the blond to blush and shrink back more against the wall.

Alex’s brows lifted at his bandmates lyrics and he turned in the chair to see his beautiful fiancée. With a grin of his own, he rose to his feet and sauntered over to her. “Hey, you made it.”

“Hi.” She smiled as he kissed her cheek then took his hand with both hers. “Can we talk somewhere?”

Alex frowned slightly. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I just… I need to talk to you.”

He studied her a moment then gave a nod. “Okay, we can go across the hall.” Then excusing himself they slipped from the room and into an empty room across the way.

Once inside, Brielle turned to face him and the story spilled from her lips, starting with her boss’ meeting running over and ending with Laurel helping her make her escape.

Alex watched with a calm expression until he heard about the paparazzi then he frowned and tugged at the hat that was on his head. “How the fuck-er, how the hell-how…how did they find you?” He finally blurted out.

“I don’t know! They just did! They were there outside and it freaked me out and thank God Ashley was there to help me get back inside.” She felt like she was blabbering and had to force herself to stop.

“Okay, okay,” he pulled her into his arms and held her close. “You’re okay and you got away unnoticed, that’s the most important thing. You weren’t hurt.”

“Right,” she mumbled into his chest. “But now they know where I work and they’re going to be there every day until I talk to them or God forbid, someone from the office does.”

That made him frown and his grip around her tightened. “I’m so sorry, baby.” He tilted his head to peer to her face. “I’d say you could quit, but I know you really like the job.”

“I really do.” She pulled herself from his arms and wiped at her teary eyes. “And now Ashley is going to have them harassing her since they saw us together.”

“Alright,” Alex rubbed the back of his neck and tried to think up some kind of plan, “what if you just took the rest of the week off? Maybe if they don’t see you a few days they’ll give up or think you quit. You think your boss will give you a few days off?”

She pushed her hair from her face. “He probably would, but I just feel so bad taking time off on him. He needs me to keep him organized,” she gave a short laugh, “he’s so terribly unorganized it’s not even funny.”

Alex chuckled and smoothed a hand to her cheek. “I’m sure he can manage for a few days.” Then he drew her close and kissed her lips lightly. “Hopefully by Monday they’ll have found someone else to chase and harass.”

“I hope so.” She allowed herself to melt into his embrace. “Eventually they’re going to figure out who I am.”

“Then let ‘em. I say we don’t worry about them anymore and just focus on us.”

She smiled at that thought. “That sounds like a good idea to me.”

He kissed the top of her head before peering into her face. “I think I can slip out of here a little early, what do you say we go home, have some dinner and just relax the rest of the night?”

“I’d say that sounds wonderful.”

“Okay, let’s go.” Then took hold of her hand and led her from the room. A nice relaxing night with his fiancée and none of the outside world sounded like a wonderful idea to him as well. Too bad it couldn’t stay that way forever.