- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Enjoy and thanks for all the feedback! :)

The date had been perfect and Alex had definitely succeeded in knocking Brielle’s socks off. After their wedding conversation, they’d been served a mouth watering, strawberry cheesecake creation that was absolutely to die for. The couple had taken turns feeding each other and then soft music began to float from somewhere in the gazebo and they’d ended the evening dancing under the stars and holding each other close. Of course, after arriving home there’d be more romantic activity in the bedroom and finally they’d fallen asleep tucked in each other’s arms like that’s where they’d always belonged.

The next few weeks went smoothly for both Alex and Brielle. The days were filled with work and the nights were their own where they would take strolls or hot baths together, go out to dinner or a movie, or spend the entire night wrapped up in each other in the bedroom. Their love was still continuing to grow and as each day passed they were more and more united.

Neither heard a single word from Renee since the whole magazine fiasco and the press had seemed to even forget that it had existed. The statement that Alex had kept telling his publicist to put out then would retract, was officially released at the beginning of March and it did increase the attention somewhat, but at least people weren’t trying to get any money shots to prove the pregnancy or not.

The group had finished their album up just as Alex released the statement about Brielle and the baby and it was slated to be released mid May. The tour plans were coming together and there was going to be some promotional touring in April and May to spread the word of the new album. Brielle was nervous at the thought of Alex being gone for a few days here or there and being alone. Sure, she had some work friends and there was Laurel, who she was becoming close with, but she was worried about something happening and not knowing how to handle it, or being alone and not thinking clearly enough to do what she might need to.

Luckily, Alex helped solve that problem. It was the middle of March and they had just returned home from picking out items for the baby’s nursery. Brielle was 25 weeks with just 15 left to go and with Alex’s time opening up a bit more before all the promoting and touring and rehearsing, the couple was taking full advantage to make sure they were prepared when their bundle of joy did arrive.

Leaving Brielle alone in California was definitely weighing on the singer's mind and they were putting away the latest purchases in the room they had selected for the nursery, when the answer to their problem hit him, he was embarrassed to not have thought of it earlier. It was so genius and he was sure there would be qualms about it on either end.

“So, I just had a thought,” he announced, returning from the closet that was slowly filling with baby clothes and diapers and towels and other necessities. Since the news of the announcement, they had been getting a steady stream of gifts from his fans and while he appreciated the thought, he really had no idea what they would do with it all. Half of it probably wouldn’t even be used. Maybe they could donate some, let other families who don’t have the means use them.

His blonde fiancée turned from the dark wooden, sleigh styled crib that had arrived the previous week. “Look!” She exclaimed with some excitement in her tone.

Alex peered around her to see a mobile with cute safari animals dangling from it. He smiled as she pushed a button and it slowly began to turn, a soft melodious tune filling the room. “That’s really cute.”

“I knew it would go perfect with the bed.” She giggled softly then surveyed the room. It had taken about a week to get the room painted and set up. The furniture had been delivered and arranged nicely and now all they needed were more diapers and then the baby.

Instead of the usual blue that accompanied boys’ nurseries, the couple had opted for cream colored paint with olive green and natural brown accents. Safari was the theme and the border at the top of the wall had cute little animals that matched the mobile almost perfectly. The dresser, changing table, armoire, glider and crib were all a matching set in a dark wooden color that complimented the look and style of the room. Pictures of safari animals were on one wall and the curtains that lined the windows were just a shade darker than the paint. To Brielle, the room felt cozy and soothing and just perfect for their son.

“Now, all we need is to decide on a name and have it stenciled in.” She motioned toward the wall above the crib where the space had been left intentionally blank for that reason.

Names. As much as Alex wanted to find the perfect name, just the thought of scouring any more name books or the internet was making his head hurt. Nothing seemed right for either of them and if one liked something, the other wasn’t particularly feeling it. And one day they both might agree on one and then change their mind the next day. It definitely wasn’t an easy task and he was grateful they still had 15 weeks to go.

“We’ll figure a name, baby.” He moved behind her then slid his arms around her waist, resting his hands on her swollen belly.

“What if he never gets a name?” She smoothed a hand over the side of her ever growing stomach.

Alex kissed her jaw. “Then we’ll just call him ‘hey you’.”

“We can’t name our baby ‘hey you’.”

He chuckled and kissed her jaw again. “I’m only teasing.”

“What do you think of Murphy?”

One lone brow arched. “Murphy?” Then he blinked when something bumped against his hand. “What was that?”

Brielle looked to her tummy. “Just the baby.” Then she stopped and her head snapped up. “Did…did you feel that?”

Alex peered over her shoulder. “I did.” It came again against his hand and he felt a dopy grin forming on his face. “That’s…that’s him.”

“Yes!” She giggled excitedly then took his hand and placed it on the side of her belly. “He’s really kicking up a storm right here.”

And he was. Right there against his hand he felt one, two, three jabs that bumped his palm. “I can’t believe this.” Then he was moving around her and coming to her front, kneeling down so his face was eyelevel with her abdomen. “Hello in there,” he spoke softly to her stomach and laughed softly when he felt the response. “This is amazing.”

“I know.” She tittered happily, smoothing her own hand over her fiancé’s cheek and relishing in this moment between the three of them. “He recognizes your voice. He’s all ‘that’s my daddy’.”

Alex didn’t know why her words or this moment was making his eyes grow misty, but they were. “Yeah, you know your old man’s voice, don’t you,” he spoke at her belly again. “We can’t wait to see you. Just a few more weeks and you’ll be here with us.”

Brielle reached and wiped at her own eyes. “But don’t rush it,” she added. “We want you nice and healthy.”

“That’s right.” He kissed her tummy and smoothed his hand over it. “So take your time, we’ll be here when you’re ready.” Touching her belly once more, but not feeling any movements, he rose to his feet then cupped his fiancée’s cheeks and kissed her mouth.

“I love you,” he whispered against her lips once they had parted.

She smiled and touched his cheek. “I love you too.”

“And I love our….Murphy?” He arched a brow then shook his head. “No, not Murphy.”

Brielle wrinkled her nose then wrapped her arms around him and hugged him close. “Definitely not Murphy.”

He smiled and held her to him, inhaling her scent of peaches and trying to memorize this moment and instill it into his brain forever. He wanted to remember this, remember it exactly this way when he was out on tour and away from her, from them. He wanted this feeling to be there in him so he could call on it and feel like she was right there in his arms when she’d in fact be hundreds, or thousands, of miles away.

And then he remembered something. Chuckling at himself, he lifted his head and peered down to her face. “So, I had a thought while I was in the closet putting away the baby things.”

“Hm, what was that?” Her clear blue eyes opened to meet his brown orbs and he felt a shiver run through him. She always made him feel wonderful and strong and so needed.

“Well, you know that my mom is going to be throwing you that baby shower next month.”

“Mhm, just before you leave me.” She pouted and pressed her face into his chest.

Alex slowly pulled from her arms so he could meet her gaze again. “And I know that you’re worried, and I’m worried, about you being here alone.”

“Right.” She tilted her head just slightly. “What are you thinking?”

Alex took her hands in his. “Well, I know in the past we talked briefly about my mom coming out here with you while I’m away.”

“You want her to come out here to stay with me?”

“She would.” He offered up a smile. “She would love to be out here with you and help finish up all the baby things.”

“Do you really think she’ll want to be away from her home for that long?”

He snorted. “Please. If it comes down to you and this grandbaby or her home, she’ll take you and her grandbaby any day. And I’m sure Tony will come out to visit here and there.”

Brielle studied his face. “I like it, but you really think she’s going to want to stay out here with me all that time?”

“Baby, my mom loves you.” He kissed her cheek. “And she loves me and she loves our child; she’s going to be thrilled at the idea. And I’ll be back and forth with the promoting. So it’s not like hers is the only face you’re going to see over the next couple months.”

“True.” She rested her cheek against his chest. “And I’ll still be working and what not.” Then a thought hit her and she pulled back. “The girls at the office want to throw me a small shower for the baby. Nothing big, just all coworkers and they want to do it some Friday afternoon.”

“Ooh, that’s a sweet thing for them to do.” His knuckles brushed her cheek. “Do I get to come?”

She chuckled softly. “You might could make an appearance. It’s not gonna be a ladies only thing, so I don’t see why not. Unless you’re out of town,” she added as an afterthought.

He nodded in agreement at that then took her hands once more. “Alright, so we’ll call my mom and run the idea by her. Though I don’t see her saying no. Then we can go to Florida for the shower and she can return to California with us.”

“Okay,” she smiled softly at him, “that would make me feel a lot better.”

“Me too.” He returned her smile then kissed her lips softly. “Now, how ‘bout some dinner? You can lie down and take a nap while I figure out what we can have.”

The blonde made a face. “I don’t want to rest.”

“You heard the doctor; you need lots of rest and to drink plenty of fluids. Besides,” he added as he led her from the room, shutting off the light when they got to the doorway, “neither of us will be getting much rest once our son joins us, so might as well get what you can right now.”

Brielle stuck her tongue out at that, but relented and allowed him to lead her down the hall toward their bedroom. “I’ll take a nap, but only on one condition.”

Alex eyed her cautiously. “What’s that?”

“That you take one with me.” She smirked then slipped her arm around his and tugged him into the room. “You’ve got a busy few months ahead of you too, so you’ll need all the rest you can get.”

“But what about dinner?” He objected, allowing himself to be tugged toward the bed.

“It’s not going anywhere; it’ll be there when we wake up.”

He chuckled at that, knowing she was right. “Alright,” he agreed before kicking off his shoes and curling up on the bed with Brielle in his arms. He wasn’t one to argue, besides, he’d take this over making dinner any day.

~*~*~*~*~

It turned out that neither Alex nor Brielle had to call his mom and invite her out. She beat them to it the following day when she phoned and invited herself out. April 10th would be the baby shower in Florida where most of Alex’s family and some close friends would be joining them. Then Denise and Brielle would return to California and Alex would take his leave and be on his way to New York for a week of interviews and appearances.

Though she was excited for the baby shower and to visit Florida, Brielle wasn’t looking forward to Alex leaving. He was going to be gone a week in New York then would be home for a few days while they did some promoting there in Los Angeles and then afterward it would be various and random places around the US and up to Canada for awhile.

Finally, Alex was slated to be finished with the promoting by mid May, which only gave them about another month to really be ready for their son’s arrival. June 21st was creeping closer and closer with every passing day and the blonde was getting more and more apprehensive about going into labor and giving birth.

Though it wasn’t until after one of their Lamaze classes, where they had watched a labor and delivery video, that Brielle voiced her thoughts.

“I am not having this baby,” she announced the minute they were through the front door and back into their home.

Alex followed her in and closed the door behind then, securing the locks and the alarm. “Yeah, I don’t know how I feel about it either.” The video, while being very realistic, had also included a lot of blood and other unpleasant things that he never, ever wanted to see again. The whole thing had made him feel very light headed and close to passing out.

Her blonde headed nodded firmly as she slipped out of her black flats. “Our son can just…stay in here forever then.”

“It really isn’t a pleasant thing to have to witness.”

“Heh, try having to be the one to do it.”

He made a little face. “I don’t care what anyone says; women are by far, by far, the more superior sex.”

Brielle set her purse down on an end table there in the foyer. “It just… it was so horrible. Did you hear the way she was screaming?”

Alex shuddered. That was a sound that would be with him for quite some time to come. “I don’t think I’ll ever forget it. It’ll haunt me in my dreams.”

She sighed. “Isn’t there some other way for this child to be born?”

“Well,” he reached and took her hand then led her down into the living room, “there’s that c-section thing. But you heard as well as I did that recovery from that is much longer and harder than regular birth.”

She allowed herself to sink down onto the couch. “It’s just…I just…” she made a face, “I’m scared. That… it didn’t look pleasant, or sound pleasant, and that poor woman was in labor for fifty-two hours. Fifty-two hours. That’s more than two days!”

“I know, sweetheart.” He sank down beside her then angled her some so he could reach her shoulders and back, massaging at the base of her neck first. “None of it seemed pleasant until the end when they had their little baby in their arms.” He smiled at the memory. “They were so happy and it didn’t even seem like the mom cared about what she had just gone through.”

“Then she’s crazy,” Brielle snorted out.

He hid a chuckle then leaned in and kissed her shoulder. “We’re gonna get through this.”

“Heh, easy for you to say,” she pulled from his touch and turned to face him, “you’re not the one pushing a watermelon out of your nostril.”

“Last time I checked, I didn’t think you were either,” he teased her, but the look she shot him shut him right up.

She sighed and sank into the back of the couch. “What if I’m never the same again? What if I’m like…disfigured forever down there? What if you don’t ever want to see me naked again?”

“Hey,” he reached out and caught her hand in his, “I always want to see you naked.” Then he gave a grunt and looked her over longingly. “In fact, I could go for seeing you naked right now.”

“Stop.” She pulled her hand from his. “I’m being serious here.”

“So am I.”

“Alex.”

“Brielle.”

She narrowed her eyes at him and Alex sighed and ran a hand over his face then faced her again. Despite being possibly scarred forever from the video, and not sure if he was going to handle their own labor and delivery well, he knew he needed to be the strong one right now.

“Baby,” he took her hand in his once more, “women all over the world have babies every day. It’s a natural and beautiful thing and sure, it can be very scary and it’s going to hurt, but what you get out of all that hard work and pain is something so beautiful and special. The journey to get there is what makes this baby, our son, that much more precious and loved. You’re not ever going to be able to believe how strongly you love this little baby,” he touched her tummy for effect, “once he’s in your arms. It’s like nothing you have ever felt before.”

She watched him, his words softening the irritation in her eyes. “I know, but I’m really scared,” and her voice trembled.

Alex felt his heart go out to her and he pulled her into his embrace. “I know it doesn’t make you feel any better, but I’m scared too.”

“What are you scared of?”

“Of you being in pain.” He smoothed some hair from her forehead. “That there’s nothing I can do to make it better or take it away.” He nearly voiced that fact that he was scared something might go wrong, but caught himself just in time. Scaring her even more was not what he was trying to do at the moment.

She relaxed into him at that. “I think I want lots of drugs.”

“Okay,” he kissed the top of her head, “we’ll get you lots of drugs.” At that moment in their life, he’d give her whatever she asked for. Whatever it took to get her, and them, through this.

“And you can’t look down there…ever.”

He chuckled softly and brushed his fingers over her cheek. “Oh, that is definitely not something you have to worry about. After that video, I will have no desire whatsoever to look down there.”

“Not even if the doctor tells you to.”

“Not even then.” He held her a little closer. “Not even if he grabs me and tries to force me too.”

Despite herself, she felt a small titter escape her lips. “Right, not even then. You’ll just close your eyes.”

“That’s right.” He kissed her head then rested his cheek against it.

“And I want Lily there.”

“I don’t think I could keep her away if I even wanted to. And I don’t think you’ll have a thing to worry about with her there. She’ll be strong enough for the both of us.” He chuckled low at that thought.

“I miss her.” And she pressed her face into his chest, her shoulders giving a jerk at the tears that were filling her eyes.

“Oh, sweetheart,” he smoothed a hand over the back of her head, “I know you do. But you’ll be seeing her at the baby shower.”

Brielle sniffed and lifted her head some, wiping at her cheeks. “I know, but I miss her so much right now.” Then she gave a frustrated sigh and leaned, grabbing the box off tissues off the end table. “Ugh, I hate these pregnancy emotions.”

Alex wanted to agree, but thought better of it. “Can I get you anything?”

The blonde wiped her eyes and cheeks with the tissues. “A taco?”

“Just one?”

“Yes,” she nodded her head then shook it, “no, just two.”

“Two tacos.” He rose up from the couch and tugged his pants up some. “Anything else?”

“A large fruit punch. Oh and some nachos. Ooh and those fiesta potato thingies.”

He nodded; grateful he’d left his shoes on. “Two tacos, a large fruit punch, some nachos and some fiesta potatoes. Got it.” He leaned and kissed her cheek. “I’ll be back.”

“Thank you.” She sniffed and settled back into the couch.

He nodded and jogged toward the door, swiping his keys up off the table in the foyer. He’d just disarmed the alarm and had opened the door when her voice stopped him.

“Alex?”

Backtracking, he peered into the living room. “Yes, love?”

Brielle was still on the couch. “I don’t want the tacos. Can I have a cheeseburger instead? With chili cheese fries and extra pickles on the side?”

Alex arched a brow. “A cheeseburger with chili cheese fries and extra pickles?”

“On the side.”

“On the side. Are you sure?”

“Yes.” She nodded her head. “Thank you.”

He watched her a moment then nodded his own head. “Alright, coming right up.” Then started for the front door again.

This time he made it outside and was halfway to the car when his cell rang. Pulling it from his pocket, Brielle’s name flashed on the screen and he shook his head some, hitting to accept the call and lifting it to his ear. “Yes, baby?”

“I don’t want the burger anymore.”

Alex unlocked his SUV and slipped inside. “What do you want?”

“A roast beef sub with cucumbers, tomatoes, pickles and banana peppers.”

His dark eyes darted toward the phone. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure. Definitely roast beef.”

“Alright, baby, anything else?”

“Hm, no. Just that…and thank you.”

He smiled and told her anytime then shut the phone off and tossed it into the passenger seat. Yes, he definitely could not wait until these pregnancy hormones weren’t taking over her body.

Sticking the key into the ignition, he started the SUV and buckled up. All in all, she wasn’t horribly moody or snapping at him with every turn. But she did seem to cry more often and now these food cravings and she couldn’t make up her mind. Trying to push it from his mind, he took the circular drive and headed back down the driveway toward the front gates. Least she didn’t want all of it at once so he was forced to drive all over town. But if she did, then he would do it. Because that’s what you did when you loved someone.

He’d just pulled out onto the road when the sound of his phone filled the air. Pushing the button in his SUV to accept the call, he was greeted with his fiancée’s voice now requesting some Kung Pao Chicken and Lo Mein Noodles and yes, this time she was completely positive.

Trying not to let himself get irritated, he agreed to her food change then pushed the button to end the call and headed in the direction of the nearest Chinese restaurant. If she changed her mind once more he was just going to bring it all back to her and then some. Man, the things one did for love and their pregnant fiancée. He hoped she was hungry.