- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Much, much appreciation for all the feedback! You guys really are wonderful and I'm having so much fun writing this fic and posting it for you to read. I hope you'll continue to review and let me know whatcha think. Enjoy this chp! :)

 

Alex spent two days holed up in his house drinking all the Jack Daniels he’d bought after Renee had left him. He hadn’t heard from her and didn’t think he was going to. His life had gone down the crapper and at the moment, while he was kneeling over the toilet bowl praying to the porcelain gods, he didn’t even want Brielle to come out. He wanted to crawl into a hole and live there forever; never have to worry about anything again. Ever. Not his fiancée, not his mother, not Brielle and certainly not the baby.

“Geeze, Alex, did you decide to throw a party while I was gone?”

The voice came from behind him and he jerked some, lifting his head to see his fiancée standing in the doorway to the bathroom. “Renee,” he mumbled. Was he dreaming?

She watched him. “Yes, it’s really me.”

“What…I…I thought you left.” He rubbed his forehead, wishing the ache would leave already.

Renee moved into the bathroom. “I did, but I also told you I needed some time to think things over. It didn’t mean I was never coming back.” She made a face at the sight in the toilet bowl then leaned over him and flushed it. “You stink.”

“So, you’re not leaving me?”

“No, I’m not leaving you, but you have got to take a shower.”

He could have cried. “You have no idea how happy that makes me.”

“You know what would make me happy?” She reached and gently helped him to his feet. “If you would take a shower.”

Alex looked down to himself; he was probably quite the sight for sore eyes. “Alright,” he agreed. “I’ll take a shower.”

“Good and I’ll go downstairs and make you some coffee. You’re house looks like shit, I hope you know.”

He gave a groan; he didn’t even want to think about that.

Renee nudged him towards the glass enclosed dual headed shower. “Go on. I’ll call your housekeeper.”

“Thank you,” he mumbled, very, very grateful she was there and willing to help. Watching her slip from the bathroom, Alex sighed and began to strip his clothes off. She hadn’t come in yelling and she didn’t seem mad, two very good signs. Maybe things were going to be okay. She hadn’t left him and from the way she seemed, it sounded like she was sticking around. For once, things seemed to be looking up.

Twenty minutes later, Alex found himself in his kitchen. He surveyed the mess and made a face. “You’d think I had a party, wouldn’t you?”

Renee glanced over from the list she was making out. “You didn’t?”

“No,” he moved over to the fresh pot of coffee and poured himself a mug full, “it was all me.”

“Geeze, Alex.” she surveyed the empty bottles scattered here and there.

“I know, it’s a mess.”

“You might want to give your housekeeper a nice tip.”

“And a bonus.”

Renee chuckled some then looked back to her paper. “I’m making a grocery list for you; you have no food and if you’re having that girl come out here, she’s going to need to eat something.”

He lifted a brow. “You’re okay with her coming out here?”

“Well, I had some time to think it over…and what kind of person would I be if I didn’t stand next to my man?” She cast her eyes over to him. “We’re going to be getting married. If this came up after we had done that, I couldn’t just take off. Marriage is forever. Besides,” she turned to face him, “you were right. We both were very lax in our positions on staying faithful and how can I be upset over something I was doing as well.”

“You have no idea how much I love you.” Alex gently took hold of her hand and pulled her to him. “And to hear you say those words just makes me love you even more.” It was hard to believe that just hours earlier his life was falling apart and now it seemed to be putting itself back together again.

She sent him a crooked grin. “I love you too.”

He brushed his lips over hers. “I’ve missed you.”

“Ooh.” Renee returned the soft, lingering kiss before pulling back. “No, don’t distract me. Your housekeeper is going to be here soon and she has a mess to clean up. And while she’s doing that we,” she used her pen to point between them, “are going to do some grocery shopping. You said this girl has no money and isn’t eating right…so we need to get food that is fit for a pregnant woman.”

Alex glanced towards the list on the counter then back to his fiancée. “I have no idea what kind of food that is.”

“Me either.” She chuckled low and bit her bottom lip.

“Should we wait until she gets out here and all go together?”

Renee shook her head and returned to her task. “If she isn’t eating properly then I highly doubt she knows either. We’ll just buy lots of healthy stuff.”

“That sounds good.”

She gave a nod and jotted down a few more items. “Have you called her yet?”

Joining her at the counter, Alex took a sip of his coffee then shook his head. “No, I was waiting on you.” His dark eyes watched her. “I wanted to know what was going on with us first.”

Renee smiled at that. “I appreciate that, but go call her.”

Alex gave a nod. “What day should I have them come on out?”

“Whatever day you want.”

“Alright,” he took another sip of the soothing drink, “today’s Friday, so how ‘bout Monday? That’ll give us a few days to reconnect and get things ready for her.”

“I like the way you think, McLean.”

He smirked. “Wait until you see the rest of what I’m thinking.”

“Go, call her!” She laughed and pointed in the direction of his office.

“Alright, alright, I’m going.” He chuckled then strolled from the kitchen and down the hall into his office. Things seemed to be looking up again.

Renee watched him go then turned back to her paper. She was still rather annoyed with the whole situation, but the last few days she’d had plenty of time to think it over and she’d come to only one conclusion; she didn’t want to lose him, especially to some heathen that’d gotten herself knocked up with his child. There was no way she was going to give up the future she’d planned out because some bitch was trying to weasel her way in between them. No way at all. This chick was going to come out and see what she and Alex had and she was going to see that she wasn’t going to steal her man away. She’d be damned if she let some slut have her way and take her place. Renee wasn’t going to back down and she wasn’t giving up. The last couple days had given her time to think and she had quite a few things up her sleeve, why, yes she did. This girl wasn’t going to know what hit her.

~*~*~*~*~

“I feel sick.”

Lily looked up from the magazine she was thumbing through and over to her best friend. “Air sickness?”

Brielle shook her head. “No.”

The brunette arched a brow. “Then what is it?”

“Nerves I guess.” She sighed and glanced towards the tiny airplane window then back to her friend. “The closer and closer we get to Los Angeles, the more my stomach twists.”

“What are you so nervous about? He already knows about the baby.”

“The whole situation, Lily.” The two girls were on the plane heading for Los Angeles. The flight was roughly six hours and just a few minutes ago the flight attendants had requested that all electronic devices be shut up and the cabin readied for landing; which meant they would be beginning their descent any minute into the airport and soon be heading from the plane through the bustling airport and down to baggage where Alex would meet them. But the closer and closer they grew, the more freaked out Brielle became.

She was trying to put on a brave face, but wasn’t sure how long she could do it for. Her only saving grace was that Lily had come along. If the brunette had stayed back in New York there’s no telling what Brielle’s condition would be like and that wouldn’t have been good for anyone.

“Are you scared of meeting his fiancée?” Her friend questioned, turning in her seat to face Brielle more.

“Very.” Alex had called her Friday afternoon and Brielle had asked about Renee and how that had gone, but he had been slightly evasive. He told her that she was ready to meet her, but it might be a sensitive subject for her and to not be insulted if Renee made herself scarce during her visit. Secretly, that’s what Brielle hoped would happen. The less she had to deal with her child’s father’s fiancée, the better off everyone would be.

“I’m sure she’s a nice person.”

“I hope so.”

Lily sighed and reached over to give her friend’s arm a comforting squeeze. “It’s going to be okay, Brie. You’ve got me out here with you and you’re just visiting. If you don’t like it out here then you don’t have to stay.”

Her cloudy blue eyes turned upon the brunette. “I don’t have any other options, Lil.”

“We’ll find you some. If you really cannot stay out here then we’ll talk to Alex and figure something out.”

“Good.” She sighed and ran a hand through her long hair. “I don’t know what I’d do if you hadn’t agreed to come with me.”

“Probably not go.”

She chuckled. “I think that’s right. I would have refused to go.”

“But it’s good that you are. Alex obviously wants to be involved and coming out here shows that you’re willing to work with him for the sake of your child.”

“That’s true.” She rested her head against the back of her seat. “I guess I’m just worried that he’s going to change his mind and send me packing.”

“I don’t think he will, but if he does then we’ll figure something out. You just call me and I’ll come get you.”

Brielle gave a tired grin. “You are the best, best friend anyone could ask for.”

“I do try.” She smirked some.

“I appreciate it and I’m very grateful.”

“Aww, Brie, you’d do the same for me.” She nudged her friend’s leg with her own.

The blonde nodded then stifled a yawn. “Geeze, I’m tired. But I shouldn’t be, I haven’t done anything but rest and relax since I got out of the hospital.”

“Flying can make you tired. And when we get to Alex’s, I want you to take a nap.”

She chuckled low. “You sound like my mother. I’m so tired of lying down that I feel like I could scream. I want to go out and explore and see what all the fuss about LA is. It’s December and we won’t need winter coats and hats; how freaken cool is that!”

Lily laughed at her friend’s excitement. “I just don’t want you to overdo it; you heard the doctor, he wants you to rest.”

“I’ve been resting. He didn’t say I had to keep on doing it.”

“He also wants you to follow up with an ob-gyn; so until we can get you one out here, you have to follow his orders and get plenty of rest and lots of fluids.”

“Yes, Mom.”

She nudged her friend. “One day you’ll thank me for mothering you.”

“I find that highly unlikely.”

Lily chuckled then turned her attention to the intercom as the pilot came over announcing that they were now approaching the runway and the flight attendants needed to take their own seats. “Ooh, we’re almost there.”

“Ugh,” Brielle placed a hand over the small baby bump of her lower tummy, “I feel sick again.”

“Take some relaxing breaths; you’re going to be just fine.” Lily’s hand found hers. “Everything’s going to work out, Brielle…you’ll see.”

She only hoped she could believe her; but nothing in Brielle’s life had worked out before, so why should this be any different?

That thought stayed with her as the plane touched down and slowed then made its way to the designated gate. Together, she and Lily gathered their belongings then exited the cabin and made their way up the jetway and into the airport. The signs to the baggage claim were clear and concise and it didn’t take the duo long to find their way to the area. The only problem they were going to have now was to locate Alex in the crowds of people that were gathering here or there.

“You see him?” Lily questioned as she stood on her tiptoes and tried to peer over everyone.

Brielle turned a slow circle, her eyes peeled for any sign of the tattooed man. “No…do you?”

Lily sighed and rolled back down off her toes. “No.”

“Well, I’m sure he’s here somewhere.” She glanced towards the claim that their luggage was supposed to come out on then to her friend. “We’ll find him.”

“I hope so.”

“Let’s get our bags then we’ll look again. He knows our flight number, so I’m sure he’ll find his way over here and see us.”

Lily arched her brows. “Look at you not freaking out and being all level headed.”

“I’m trying.” She brushed some hair from her face and tucked it behind her left ear. “I’m really working to ignore the voice in the back of my mind telling me he forgot us or something.”

“He didn’t forget us.” Her friend watched as the bags began to roll out on the conveyor belt.

“Course I didn’t, give me some credit,” A voice spoke up from behind them.

Both girls turned to see Alex there, dressed in some dark jeans and a black tee. He had a pair of dark shades hanging off the collar of his shirt and a dark cap was pulled low on his head.

“Hey!” Lily offered up a warm smile.

“Hi.” Alex chuckled low at her enthusiastic greeting then turned his gaze to Brielle. She didn’t look too different than she had when he’d seen her a week ago, except her the dark circles under her eyes had faded and her skin had a bit of a healthier glow to it. “You look much more rested.”

Brielle chuckled. “Lily hasn’t let me do anything other than that.”

He nodded some. “Good, you needed the rest.”

“Yeah, but now I’m ready to get out and do something.”

“Not until she sees a doctor, though,” Lily piped up as she grabbed one of their bags and heaved it off the conveyor belt. “We need to find her a good ob-gyn.”

Alex made a face; that thought hadn’t even crossed his mind since he’d returned back to California. “I…have no idea how to do that.”

“We could ask your fiancée who she sees. Maybe she can recommend someone.” She set the bag by Brielle and Alex then moved back, prepared to snag another.

“Yeah, I don’t know about that.”

“She doesn’t want to see me, does she?” Brielle glanced to Alex. “I’m okay with that. I don’t want to put you in the middle of anything; she’s your fiancée.”

“No,” he shook his head, “she does want to meet you, but…I don’t know how cordial she’ll be or friendly with offering advice or help. She may take awhile to warm up to you.”

“We’ll find someone.” Lily returned with another bag. “I could call my doctor’s office and see if they have anyone they know of out here.”

“That sounds good,” the older male agreed.

“And in the meantime-”

“No,” the blonde waved a finger at her friend, “I am not going to rest and take it easy and drink lots of fluids. I’m sick of resting. I’m supposed to be coming out here to visit and check the place out. I can’t do that if I’m stuck in bed all day.”

“She has a point.” Alex turned to Lily.

Lily sighed and collected another bag. “Alright, but please don’t overdo it. I just don’t want another incident like what happened last week to occur.”

“Yes, Mother,” Brielle teased her friend.

Alex chuckled then helped the girls collect the rest of their baggage. They loaded it up on a trolley then he led the way out of the airport building and into the parking garage. He located his black Porsche Cayenne and tucked the suitcases into the back. After making sure the girls were settled, he climbed behind the wheel then started the SUV and pulled from the spot. Maneuvering the vehicle from the garage, Alex took the parking ticket and handed the parking booth operator a ten. He told him to keep the change, then flipped the visor down and pulled away from the airport, heading in the direction of his home.

“Wow, it’s so beautiful out here,” Brielle breathed from her place in the front passenger seat.

“Oh, this ain’t nothing,” Alex glanced to her from behind his shades then back to the road, “wait till you see the beach and the ocean.”

“Can you see the beach from your house?” She turned her attention away from the outside to the driver.

“Not from my home now, but when I lived in Malibu you could from the backyard.”

“That’s awesome.”

“Yeah, it’s pretty nice.” He glanced to her and gave a grin.

Brielle returned the smile then focused on their surroundings again.

“So, did you guys have a good flight?” Alex questioned after a few moments of silence that involved both Lily and Brielle glued to the windows.

Lily glanced towards the front, leaning up some so they could hear her better. “It wasn’t bad, except that Brielle had to use the bathroom like, every fifteen minutes. I finally made her switch seats with me so she wouldn’t keep climbing over me.”

The girl in question poked her tongue out at the brunette. “It’s not my fault; you’re the one that’s making me drink so much water.”

“How’d you like first class?”

Brielle turned away from Lily. “Oh gosh, it was so awesome, but you really didn’t have to do that.”

He turned his eyes away from the road and over to her. “I wanted you to be comfortable. It’s a long ass flight and I know how cramped coach can get.”

“Well, we appreciated it greatly, didn’t we, Lily?”

Lily leaned forward again and nodded. “Yes, we really did. We owe you quite a lot, Alex; for that and letting us come out here and stay.”

He shook his head. “You girls don’t owe me anything.”

Brielle slouched some in her seat. Somehow, she doubted that. This man was doing much, much more than paying for first class tickets and opening his home to her; he was trying to save her from a life of homelessness and despair. He was trying to give her a fresh start. She really needed to be more grateful and appreciative, because he didn’t have to be doing any of this. “I’ll make it up to you one day.” She reached and touched his arm.

Alex glanced to her, ready to object again, but there was something in her eyes that stopped him. She wasn’t talking about the plane tickets or the visit to LA; she was meaning something much deeper. So instead of objecting, he reached and gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. “Are you guys hungry?”

“Starved; there’s no way what they fed us on the plane could even count as being food.”

Brielle laughed low at that. “Yeah, it wasn’t very good.”

Alex made a face. “Well, my housekeeper was making up something for us when I left, so she should have it finished by now.” He steered the SUV off the expressway and took a left, heading towards a more mountainous region.

“You have a housekeeper?”

“Yeah,” he glanced over towards the blonde and chuckled, “does that surprise you?”

She shrugged. “I guess I never thought about it.”

“She’s just part time though, but I asked her to make up something nutritious for you girls. I figured you’d be hungry.”

“It’s not like, brussel sprouts, is it?” Brielle wrinkled her nose. “Ew, or liver?”

“Hell no.” He made his own face and laughed. “It’s going to be healthy, but still taste good. I think it’s some chicken and pasta dish.”

“Oh, that sounds good.” She settled back in the seat and watched as Alex maneuvered them along a winding road. She could just barely make out the enormous homes that sat off the road hidden from view by trees or their own long driveways.

Soon, Alex pulled up before black wrought iron gates and pushed a button, causing them to swing open. He slowly steered through them and continued on up a drive, swinging the SUV around the circular drive and stopping before a two story, Mediterranean styled home that sprawled out over a beautifully, manicured green lawn.

“This is beautiful,” Brielle remarked as she unbuckled and took in the French doors at the entrance and the large windows on either side.

Alex removed his own buckle and pulled the keys from the ignition. “Thank you.” He slipped from the SUV and moved around to her side.

“Holy shit!” Lily hissed to her friend before their host opened her door.

Brielle could only nod then thanked Alex for getting her door. She climbed from the vehicle as he pulled open Lily’s door then moved to the back and began gathering the bags. Together, the three of them carried them up to the front doors and inside, once Alex got them unlocked. He gave them a quick show of the foyer then led the way up the winding stairs and down the hall to the bedrooms. After directing them to their own rooms, he excused himself and headed back downstairs to check on dinner.

Brielle took a moment to survey the room which was decorated in deep wood colors and offered a calming tone. She opened the curtains hanging over a large window and smiled as the sun filtered in to give the room a warmer ambience. Then she went about putting what little clothing she had into the closet and set her hygiene products up in the bathroom off the guest bedroom. Across the hall, Lily was doing the same and then quickly joined her friend after stashing her suitcases under the bed.

“Can you believe this place?” She questioned her friend as she sprawled across the bed and used a pillow to prop herself up with.

Brielle folded her duffle bag up and tucked it into the empty suitcase. “It’s really nice.”

“The tub in my room has clawed feet.”

“So does mine.” She chuckled and pushed the suitcase under the bed then stood.

“You sure lucked out with who your baby’s daddy is.”

Brielle frowned at her friend. “Lily, this has nothing to do with money.”

“I know, I know,” she held up a hand, “I was being silly.”

“Well, just be careful, the wrong person may overhear you and I don’t want any drama.” She joined her friend on the bed. “It’s going to be tough enough with his fiancée, I don’t want to have to deal with his friends or someone telling him we’re just doing this because he has money.”

Lily sighed and pulled herself into a sitting position, pushing the pillow to the side. “Brie, we know that you’re not doing this for the money and Alex knows that too.”

“You don’t know that for sure.”

“No, but I’m fairly certain,” she brushed her hair behind her shoulders, “he knows why you’re out here.”

Brielle nodded and glanced around the room, blinking when her stomach gave a loud rumble. Covering it with both hands, she blushed. “Oops.”

Lily laughed. “Aww, Brie, you’re starving.” Sliding from the bed, she smoothed her shirt and motioned to her friend. “C’mon, let’s go feed you.”

Together, the two girls headed from the room and down the long hall back to the stairs.

“After we eat, maybe he’ll give us a tour of this place,” Lily spoke as she and Brielle descended the steps into the foyer.

“That’d be nice; that way we wouldn’t get lost.”

“I think it’s probably easier to maneuver your way around here then you think.” The brunette stood at the bottom of the stairs and peered around, as if she was trying to decide which way would lead them to the kitchen.

Brielle opened her mouth to respond when the sound of front door behind them interrupted her. Slowly, she turned to see a tall guy with blond hair and stunning blue eyes entering into the house. He stopped short at the sight of the two girls and frowned slightly like he was trying to recall if he knew them.

“Um, hi,” Lily spoke up, giving a small wave.

The blond man’s brows drew together and he slowly shut the door behind him. “Hi,” his gaze drifted between the two friends, “who are you?”

“Nick!” Alex’s voice boomed from down the hall and he quickly sauntered into the room, looking rather confused at the sight of the other man. “What are you doing here?”

The man, now identified as Nick, looked to his friend. “I’m here for dinner.”

“Dinner?” Alex’s brows lifted.

“Yeah,” Nick glanced to Brielle and Lily then back to Alex, “Renee invited me. Said you’re having a dinner party and she’s invited all the guys.”

Alex felt the blood draining from his head. “Renee…invited you to dinner tonight? Here?”

Nick nodded some. “Yeah, she said you had some announcement.”

Brielle felt her own blood draining and grabbed Lily’s arm for support.

Alex felt like he’d just been kicked in the gut; what the hell was his fiancée trying to do? “Um…who is ‘all the guys’?”

“You don’t even know who she invited?” He laughed some. “Geeze, bro…um, I’m assuming from the way she talked; Howie, Bri and I think Kevin too.”

He nearly fell over. “Howie, Bri and Kevin? They’re coming here for dinner…tonight?”

“Yeah,” Nick was looking at him like he had grown a second head, “are you alright? You look a little green.”

Alex glanced over to Brielle to see her face had paled considerably. “Um, actually, Nick-”

“There you are!”

All eyes turned to see Renee sauntering into the room, a smile plastered over her thin lips.

“Renee,” Alex choked out, feeling his own head growing light.

She patted his arm then moved and took Nick’s hand. “Come on in, Nick. Glad you’re here, you’re actually first to arrive.”

Nick blinked some and allowed her to lead him past the girls and Alex. “Um…cool.” He sent her a questioning look then glanced back towards the two girls he still hadn’t been introduced to.

“Renee,” Alex frowned at his fiancée, “what’s going on?”

“Oh, Alex,” she sent him a sickening sweet smile, “did you forget? This is your dinner party.”

“My…dinner party?”

“Mmhmm,” her eyes drifted to the two newcomers and she frowned then quickly wiped it from her face, “to welcome your guests and so you can tell your bandmates the great news.”

He frowned. “I think that you and I need to step outside for a moment.”

“We don’t have time for that, honey bun.” Then she turned her attention back to Nick. “You didn’t bring a date.”

“Yeah, Laurel had made other plans already, but she sends her best,” he explained about his girlfriend of nearly a year.

“Renee?” Alex was quickly losing his patience.

But she brushed him off again and finally looked to the two girls who were watching the event unfold with wide eyes. “Hope you like chicken lasagna, we’re going to have a houseful so make sure you grab a chair.” And then she sauntered off down the hall towards the kitchen.

Brielle gaped at her retreating form, thinking this really couldn’t be happening. A strangled sound slipped from her mouth and she glanced to Alex; was he really going to let all this unfold? But he was watching her with as bewildered expression as she had.

“Um…I’ll….go talk to her.” Then he turned and fled down the hall after her, leaving Lily and Brielle with a confused Nick.

“Well, that was awkward,” The blond male spoke up, turning his full attention onto the two girls. But if only he knew how awkward things were really going to get.