- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Have another update for you! Much, much thanks for all the feedback! I love reading what you think and hope you'll continue to let me know. Enjoy!

 

Alex caught up with Renee just outside the kitchen. Taking hold of her arm, he firmly tugged her into a nearby bathroom and closed the door. “What the hell are you doing?”

Renee watched up at him with the most innocent gaze she could muster. “I’m going to check on dinner.”

“Oh cut the crap, Renee,” his dark eyes flashed, “what stunt are you trying to pull inviting everyone over here tonight?”

“I’m not trying to pull any stunt, Alex. I just thought it’d be nice to introduce Brielle to your band mates and tell them the good news.” A shrug. “Wouldn’t you rather they hear it from you before tabloids start throwing the gossip around?”

“I would rather you not have set up this little soiree and let me handle things myself.”

“Yeah, we all know how you handle things, Alex,” she frowned and pulled his hand from her arm, “with about a dozen bottles of Jack Daniels.”

It felt like she’d slapped him in the face. All he could do was stare at her with his mouth open.

Renee smirked. “Go entertain the guests; I’m going to check on dinner.” And then she sashayed from the bathroom like there was no problem whatsoever.

It took a moment for Alex to gather his senses before he could exit the room, his mind still reeling with what Renee had set up. He couldn’t even believe that she would pull something like this. Was she still that upset about it that she would put both him and Brielle in an awkward position? She should have said something before he’d flown her and her friend out, instead of scheming to embarrass everyone. They were going to have a nice, long talk later on; he was sure about that. In the meantime, he needed to do some damage control before things got too bad.

Hurrying back up the hall to the foyer, Alex gave an inward groan as he spotted Brian and Leighanne Littrell introducing themselves to Brielle and Lily. “Um, hey guys,” he greeted the couple, coming up behind the two girls and touching Brielle’s side in a reassuring gesture. She looked like a deer caught in headlights and he had to swallow back the guilt that was rising up in his throat.

“Aje, how’s it goin’, man?” Brian turned to his friend and enveloped him in a hug. “You look good.”

He didn’t know how he was disguising the nerves, but he was grateful they couldn’t pick up on it. “Hey, bro, it’s goin’. How are you?” He returned the hug then greeted Leighanne with a kiss on the cheek and a hug as well. “Nice to see you both.”

“Where’s Renee?” Leighanee adjusted some bracelets on her wrist and glanced around the foyer.

“She’s in the kitchen, checking on the food.” He thumbed behind him. “You’re welcome to join her.”

“I think I will.” She gave her husband’s arm a squeeze and excused herself then slipped from the group in search of her friend.

“So,” Brian looked between Alex and the two girls he’d just met, “are you girls from around here?”

“We’re from New York,” Lily spoke up.

“That’s a long ways to come for a dinner party,” Nick interjected from where he was leaning against a table.

Brielle shifted on her feet, wishing she could flee up the stairs and hide out in her room the rest of the night. “Um, we’re out here visiting Alex.”

“Right,” Alex agreed, coming to their aid. “Lily and Brielle got in today, actually. They’ll be here a week or so.”

Brian nodded some then gave a broad grin, showing off his dimples. “We’re glad you’re here and I hope this guy treats you okay.” He motioned towards Alex. “He gives you any problems, just let me know.”

Lily chuckled. “We’ll remember that.”

“So, how do you two know our boy here?” Nick joined the group, clasping his friend’s shoulder and giving it a small shake.

Brielle shared a look with Alex, her insides twisting. “Um…”

“We met awhile back,” he quickly inserted. “When I was doing some work in New York for my album.”

“That was a couple months ago, right?” Nick peered down into Alex’s face. He was very curious as to what was going on. From the minute he’d come in the door he’d felt the tension and he wasn’t blind, he’d seen the expressions on Alex’s and the two girls’ faces to know that something was going down. Not to mention the angry look Renee had flashed while she’d pretended to play nice. Something was definitely up.

The tattooed male nodded his head, slipping from Nick’s grasp and smoothing his shirt. “Right, back in September.”

Brian lifted his brows and turned to Lily and Brielle. “Well, you two must have made quite an impression if he’s invited you way out here to visit.”

“You have no idea,” Brielle muttered then jerked when Lily elbowed her side. “Ouch.” She rubbed her ribs and frowned at the brunette.

“So um, how ‘bout we take this into the living room.” Alex motioned towards the room off the foyer then led everyone down the steps into it. “Make yourselves at home.” He motioned towards the black leather couches then sank down into a matching armchair.

“Where are the rest of your guests?” Brian situated himself onto one of the sofa’s, Nick next to him and Brielle and Lily taking the other.

Alex shrugged. “I have no idea. I’m sure they’ll be here soon.”

Nick looked to Brian. “Kevin’s coming.”

The shorter man’s brows went up in surprise. “No kidding.”

“Mmhmm and Renee said Alex has an announcement for us.”

Both sets of blue eyes turned to their friend. “An announcement,” Brian’s southern drawl slipped into his speech.

Alex shifted some, fiddling with the rings on his fingers. “Um…” his eyes shifted to Brielle then back again, “we should wait for the others.”

Nick followed Alex’s gaze over to the blonde and studied her expression, noting the pale skin and nervousness in her eyes. “They’ll probably be here soon.”

Lily cleared her throat and clasped her hands together. She had seen Nick scrutinizing her friend and decided it was time to change the subject. “So, how long have you all known each other?”

The three men exchanged glances. “For about sixteen years,” Brian answered the question, turning back to Lily.

“Wow,” she nodded some, “and how long have you been in the group?”

“About sixteen years.” He chuckled and the corners of his eyes wrinkled.

“Actually, Nick and I have known each other a little longer. Brian didn’t join up with us until we were forming the group.” Alex thumbed between himself and the blond man.

“Hello?” A voice called out from the foyer, interrupting the conversation.

Alex pushed himself to his feet. “We’re in here.”

A moment later, two couples descended into the room and both Brian and Nick rose to their feet as well.

Brielle watched as the men greeted each other with hugs and slaps to the back and kisses to the cheeks of the two females. They chatted for a moment or so before all eyes landed on her and Lily and she swallowed hard.

“Hey.” Lily gave a wave then stood. “I’m Lily and this is Brielle,” she introduced the other girl then offered her hand to the newcomers. Might as well just dive in and get this over with. And later tonight, she would start planning on how to get back at Renee, because this was absolutely uncalled her. Brielle was coming out to see the city and get to know Alex a little better, not to be humiliated in front of his friends and made to feel ashamed of herself.

Brielle rose as well and shook their hands while Alex introduced Kevin and his wife, Kristin and Howie and his wife, Leigh.

“So, what’s this dinner party all about?” Kevin questioned as everyone took seats again. “I’ve never known you to throw a dinner party, Alex.”

“I know, this is quite new,” Howie teased his friend.

Alex chuckled then glanced over to his fiancée as she entered the room with Leighanne. “Well, to be honest, this was all Renee’s doing.”

She smirked and sank down onto the arm of the chair Alex was in. “But it’s in his and Brielle’s honor.”

Nick’s brows drew together and he looked to Brielle then his friend and back to Renee. “Is there something we should know?”

Brielle really thought she might get sick; her stomach was twisting into all kinds of knots and she was starting to feel very lightheaded. She gripped Lily’s arm and gave it a tight squeeze.

Lily squirmed some and carefully tugged her arm free of the vice-like grip. “Actually, to be honest, it’s not anyone’s business but Alex and Brielle…and maybe Renee.”

Brielle grabbed her arm again. “What are you doing,” she hissed from the corner of her mouth.

“Renee invited you guys over so she could humiliate my friend and her own fiancé. Who does something like that?” She ignored the blonde and continued with what was on her mind.

Renee’s eyes flashed. “You have no business saying that, little girl.”

Lily arched her brows and rose to her feet. “Care to say that again?”

“Lily!” Brielle tugged her back down.

“I’m sorry, Brie, but I can’t just sit here while that woman tries to make you look like nothing but a two cent whore.”

“Well, if the shoe fits.”

“Okay, that’s enough!” Alex interrupted as he stood up. He frowned at Renee. “I thought you were a better kind of person then someone who would pull a stunt like this. If you were still upset about what’s going on, you should have told me. Not gone behind my back and put together a fucken party!” He waved his arm towards Brielle and Lily. “You don’t even know those girls; I’ve invited them into my home as my guests and this is how you treat them? This is how they’re welcomed?”

Renee met his frown with one of her own. “You’re worried about their embarrassment? What about my own? How do you think I’m going to feel when it comes out? Have you even stopped to consider my feelings in any of this?”

“Of course I have. But you said you were okay with it.” He arched a brow. “Were you lying?”

“Of course I was lying, you moron! Do you seriously think I’d be okay?”

Alex bit the inside of his cheek, trying to keep his emotions in check. In front of his guests was not where he wanted to be having this conversation. “Renee, we um…we need to talk about this later.”

“Later?” She looked off then to him again. “Heh, of course it’d be later. We all know what comes first to you now. Take all the time you need, Alex,” she sneered his name, “but don’t think I’m just going to sit around and wait for you.” Then she whirled on her heel and stalked from the room.

Alex watched her go and ran a hand over his face. Shit. Shit, shit, shit, mother fucken shit.

Kevin cleared his throat from where he sat watching the scene unfold. “Maybe we should go.”

“That might be a good idea,” Leighanne agreed.

“No,” Brielle stood up, “you guys stay. I’ll um…I’ll go.” She took a hesitant step then turned and fled the room, heading for the stairs. Coming out here had been a bad, very bad idea and she should never have done it. What had she been thinking? It was only going to disrupt his life and now he was losing his fiancée; all because of her. She was going to pack her things and get the first flight home she could.

“Brielle-”

Lily rose as well, but Alex held a hand up. “I’ll go talk to her.” She nodded and he excused himself and hurried off after her.

She was nearly up the stairs when he reached them. “Brielle.”

She slowed, hesitated then turned to face him, her hand on the banister. “I’m sorry.”

“No,” Alex shook his head and slowly started up the steps, “this isn’t your fault. I’m the one that should be apologizing. Renee was way out of line.”

“No, she wasn’t. She has a right to be upset and I’m sorry for coming out here and invading what’s hers.”

“Hey,” he reached her and took her free hand, forcing their eyes to meet, “don’t say that. She told me to have you come out. She told me she was okay. This is my fault, not yours.”

She pulled her hand from his and took a breath, trying to keep her tears at bay. “I should never have come.”

“Hey now.” He reached for her hand again, but she kept it from him.

“It’s true.” Her teary blue eyes met his deep ones. “It was all a big mistake. Look how it’s interrupting your life and what it’s going to do to you when your friends find out. What they’ll think, how they’ll act.”

This time, Alex reached for her shoulder and gently urged her down onto the step, taking the spot next to her. “I’m not the kind of person who cares what anyone else thinks of me or my life. If I did, I wouldn’t be the person I am. You should see how I was back in the day; the clothes I’d wear, all the colors I’d do my hair in.” He rested his arms on his knees. “I may have tamed my wardrobe and hairstyle, but I’m still the same person. People are going to think what they think and if we let it start affecting how we live our lives then we’re not being true to ourselves.”

“But these are your friends and you couldn’t even tell them.”

He looked to her. “You want me to tell them?”

Brielle sniffed and wiped at her cheeks. “No, not like this. But they’re going to find out…I can’t hide my appearance and eventually it’s going to show and when they do realize…who knows how they’ll react. They’re your friends …your family and they’re going to hate me and think you’ve gone off your rocker having me out here and trying to take care of me.”

“I could care less if they think I’ve gone off my rocker.”

“Don’t say that.” She shook her head and looked to him. “They’re your life and you should care what important people in your life think.”

Alex reached and took her petite hand in his large one. “Hey, they know that I march to the beat of my own drum and the important people in my life accept me that way. The baby news will shock them, but it’s not going to turn them against me and they aren’t going to hate you.”

Brielle sighed some, mulling it over in her head. “I just don’t want to mess up your life and I’m not even here an hour and I already am.”

“Are you talking about Renee?”

She nodded and wrapped her arms around herself in a self-comforting gesture. “She hates you.” She cast her eyes his way. “And you didn’t go after her, but you came after me.”

He chuckled low at that. “Going after her would have only made it worse. When we fight like that…we both have to take a step back and just let things calm down for a bit. I’ll go talk to her tomorrow and I’m sure we’ll smooth things over.” He nudged her shoulder gently with his. “Don’t you worry about Renee and me, you just worry about yourself.”

“I’m sorry.” She cleared her throat some and sat up straight. “I just don’t want to screw things up for you.”

“Brielle, you’re not screwing things up for me. I had a hand in putting us in this situation and I invited you out here knowing the repercussions that could come,” his tone was serious, but his eyes were tender.”And I do plan on telling my friends and family, but on my own time and in my own way; not being forced into it like Renee was trying to do.” His voice softened, “And I’m really sorry for that, by the way.”

“It’s not your fault,” she tugged the sleeves of her thin jacket down over her hands, “you were as blindsided as I was.”

He dropped his head into his hands. “I can’t believe she did that.”

“At least it was your friends and not strangers or the news.”

Alex chuckled low at that. “I guess that’s something to be grateful for.”

She nodded some then cast her eyes down the stairs. “We left Lily alone with everyone.”

“Guess we should get back down there, huh?”

Her blue eyes shifted his way. “Are you going to send them all home?”

“No,” Alex shook his head, “they came over here expecting dinner and there’s some yummy chicken lasagna waiting to be served. Besides, you and Lily are hungry and I imagine the others are too. I think we could pull off a successful dinner party while avoiding the topic of this “announcement” they came over expecting to hear.” He blinked. “If you’re okay with them being there, that is. If you’re gonna be uncomfortable, I can send them on their way.”

Brielle shook her head and rose to her feet, dusting the back of her pants off. “No, don’t send them away because of me. I think I’ll be okay.”

“Good.” He stood and smoothed his shirt then offered his arm. “Shall we?”

“Yes, we shall.” She took his arm then together they descended on down the stairs.

~*~*~*~*~

“So, you and Lily are from New York?”

Brielle turned to see Leighanne had joined her at the kitchen counter where she was refilling her iced tea. “We are.”

The older blonde woman leaned her hip against the counter. “And how did you meet Alex?”

“Um…at a bar; he picked up my tab after seeing I had lost my money.” She set the pitcher of tea back down and took up her glass.

“Alex was at a bar?” She lifted a brow.

Brielle nodded. “Yeah, and he paid my tab and we just started talking.”

“Did you sleep with him?”

The younger woman blinked, feeling the pulse in her neck skip a beat. “Um…say what?”

Leighanne laughed and waved a hand. “Nevermind, forget I asked that.”

“Uh…okay.” Brielle watched her with uncertain eyes.

After returning back to the living room, Brielle and Alex had found Lily in a game of charades with the rest of Alex’s guests. Things seemed to be more relaxed and so the two joined the others before finally moving everyone to the dining room to enjoy the chicken lasagna and garlic breadsticks their host’s housekeeper had made up. The dinner was delicious and the conversation had been easy going; no one inquiring about any announcements. Most of the dinner had been preoccupied with the men sitting around trying to one up each other with hilarious predicaments they had found themselves in. Quite a few centered around their careers and dealt with traveling or the fans and for the first time in a long time, Brielle had found herself genuinely laughing and enjoying herself.

After dinner had finished, the group moved back into the living room to relax and have casual conversation and Brielle had slipped into the kitchen to refill her drink, which is where Leighanne had found her.

Leighanne chuckled and folded her arms in front of her. “How long are you going to be staying?”

“A week or so.” She shrugged. “We don’t really have a specific date.”

“You have any plans yet?”

“Not yet. We’ll probably take some sights in.” She felt like she was in an interview.

Leighanne pushed herself from the counter and stood straight. “Well, welcome to LA, I hope you have a good time.”

Brielle smiled. “Thank you.”

Leighanne nodded then excused herself and slipped from the room just as Alex entered. He watched her go then turned to Brielle. “How ya holding up?”

“I’m okay.” She studied him a moment. “How are you doing?”

Alex chuckled and took a clean mug from his cabinet. “I’m doing alright. I think everyone has successfully stayed off of the topic of the big announcement; though I know Nick is dying to find out. He keeps looking at me and twitching.” He laughed at that thought and shook his head. “But they’re behaving; though I have a feeling they know it must be something very big.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.” He poured himself some coffee.

Brielle shifted and fiddled with the glass in her hands. “Um…they may already have an idea of what it is.”

Alex lifted a brow. “Why do you say that?” He lifted his mug to take a sip.

She hesitated then dove right in. “Leighanne asked me if we’d slept together.”

Coffee went spraying from Alex’s mouth at that statement.

Brielle jumped back, her eyes wide. “Oh, oh…oh, are you alright?”

He swiped a napkin from the counter and wiped his chin. “Yeah, did you just say that Leighanne asked if we’d slept together?”

“Um…yeah.” She took some paper towels from the roll next to the sink and wiped the counter of the coffee that’d landed there. “She asked how we’d met and I told her it was at a bar and you’d picked up my tab.” She bawled the paper towels and tossed them into the nearby trashcan. “Then she asked if we’d slept together.”

The tattooed man stared at her. “What…what did you say?”

“Nothing. She told me nevermind and to forget she asked that.”

He frowned. “I’m sorry. Leighanne has been one to always speak her mind.”

“You don’t have to apologize to me.” Brielle took up her iced tea from where she’d set it to get the paper towels. “You didn’t ask the question and I think anyone’s mind would have gone there.” A shrug. “I’m sure this secretive announcement that has Renee extremely upset and you flying some strange girl out to visit has got them thinking along those lines.”

He sighed. “You may be right.”

She nodded and watched him, wishing she knew what to do to make everything better. The only thing that could do that at this moment was a time machine; something to take her back to that bar so she could change it all and walk out of there alone. Take it all back so that his life wouldn’t be screwed up. But Brielle was pretty sure there really was no such thing as a time machine and if there was…they didn’t work anyway.

“Hey.” Alex moved over and tilted her chin up to meet his face; he’d seen the expression that has crossed over her eyes and knew what she was thinking. “You really have to stop blaming yourself, here. We can’t go back and change anything, so we need to stop wishing we could. What’s done is done and all we can do now is work with what we’ve been given.”

“How can you be so positive about this?”

He didn’t have an answer he could give her, because he wasn’t so positive. Alex was scared out of his ever loving mind and the only thing that was keeping him going was that she was so worried. He knew someone needed to be strong and pretend like it was all okay, so he did just that. And when he was alone, then he could let his real feelings come through, because a person couldn’t hide them all the time.

“I don’t know,” he finally answered in a half whisper. “I’m just doing what I have to, to get us through this.”

She sighed at that, giving a slight nod in understanding.

A sound from the doorway caused both to turn and find Lily in the doorway.

“I hate to break up this touching moment, but they’re talking about playing some football and I was sent to collect you,” she pointed at Alex.

He laughed low. “Football, huh, and they think me and my chicken legs will be of any use to them? Alright, they know what they’re getting into.” He gave Brielle’s arm a squeeze then slipped past Lily and headed back for the living room.

Lily watched him go then turned back to her friend. “You alright?”

“Yeah.” She sighed and set her drink to the side.

Lily was silent for a moment, just observing the blonde. “Are you regretting coming out here?” She finally questioned.

Brielle sighed and ran her fingers through her long locks. “I don’t know; part of me is because of what it’s doing to his life, but I’m sort of glad I came out here too.”

“It’s going to be hard, Brie, but I think everything will work itself out, it always manages to do so.”

“What if Renee doesn’t want to marry him anymore?”

Lily shrugged. “Then she isn’t the type of person he needs to be with. He’s having a baby and if his fiancée can’t support him and be there for what he needs, then obviously she isn’t the one he should be with.”

“Don’t say that.” Brielle turned away. “Of course she’s going to be upset and angry, it’s only natural.”

“Yes, but once the dust has settled and if she still feels the same way, then they both need to part ways and get on with their lives.” The brunette moved around her so they faced each other again. “He’ll find the right person who will accept him and all of his baggage.” She touched her hand. “Not someone who will pull a ridiculous prank so she can feel good about humiliating everyone.”

Brielle studied her friend’s face for a moment. “Maybe you’re right,” she finally relented.

“I know I am. Now c’mon, buck up and put those sad feelings away. I think the football players may need a few cheerleaders.”

She wrinkled her nose. “You know I hate cheerleaders.”

“You do know I was one in high school, right?”

Brielle chuckled and slipped her arm around her friend’s. “You’re the one exception.”

“Good,” she tugged her arm gently and started for the doorway, “now let’s go see what kind of trouble these guys are getting themselves into.”

“At their age, something tells me it might be a lot.”

Lily laughed. “We may want to take some ice or heating pads out there with us.”

“Just take the telephone in case we need to call 911.”

“I hear ya.” Lily led her friend down the hall towards the back patio doors off the den. “I’m glad you’re feeling better.”

Brielle shrugged. “I’m disguising it.”

“Well, keep doing it. We want the rest of this trip to be fun and drama free.”

“One can wish.” And she most certainly was.