- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks again for the feedback! I always appreciate it! Hope you enjoy this next chapter and please let me know how you think it ended. I feel something's changing and would like your thoughts on it. Hehe thanks and enjoy!

 

Two days later found Brielle and Lily lounging around Alex’s living room. He’d left a couple hours earlier to try and smooth things over with Renee and told the two girls to make themselves at home. They’d spent the last hour trying to beat the high score on his old school arcade Pac-Man game in his game room. Finally, after coming close one too many times, the girls migrated to the kitchen for snacks and were now stretched out on his leather sofa’s munching on grapes.

“Maybe we watch a movie,” Brielle suggested before tossing a grape up into the air and catching it into her mouth.

Lily made a face. “I want to go out somewhere. It looks so nice outside and we’re in LA and it’s December; we should be out there exploring.”

“Maybe Alex will be back soon and we can do that.” She glanced to the large clock in the corner.

“Probably won’t be for awhile. You know how making up goes; first you talk and talk and maybe fight some more, then you cry and talk and reason and finally agree and then comes the hot makeup sex which could take hours in itself.”

Brielle chuckled. “Speaking from experience, huh?”

“Absolutely.” Lily sent her a devious little grin.

The blonde chuckled and plucked another grape into her mouth. “You think he would mind us borrowing his vehicle?”

“Didn’t he say we could do that?” Lily sat up and set her bowl of grapes onto the coffee table. “I’m sure it has a GPS so we won’t get lost.”

But Brielle wasn’t sure she was entirely comfortable with the idea. “I don’t know, Lil, what if something happened? What if we wrecked it?”

“I’m sure he has full insurance.”

“I haven’t driven a car since high school.”

“Then I’ll drive.”

Brielle studied her friend. “I don’t know.”

“C’mon, Brie, it’ll beat sitting around here all day like two bumps on a log.”

She chewed her bottom lip. “Maybe we just wait for Alex.”

“He might not even be home till tonight.” Lily flopped back into the couch.

“He knows we’re here, I don’t think he’d be gone all day. He isn’t that rude.”

“Who isn’t rude?”

Both girls looked to see Alex stepping down into the living room. He crossed to an armchair and sank into it, pulling the lever to extend the legrest and stretch out.

“This guy in this movie we saw,” Brielle quickly spoke, glancing to Lily then back to their host. “How’d it go?”

He sighed and rubbed his face with both hands. “She still won’t talk to me.”

“Ooh, Alex, I’m so sorry.” She pouted and wished he were closer so she could touch him and offer support.

“S’okay,” he shrugged and lowered his hands, “she hasn’t given the ring back though, so that has to mean something, right?”

Both girls exchanged looks.

“What?” Alex watched between them.

Lily wet her lip then took a breath and spoke, “Have you considered that maybe you should take that as a sign?”

“A sign?” He lifted a brow.

“Yeah,” she tucked some hair behind her ear, “maybe you and Renee need some space.”

“She obviously seems to want some and I’m not gonna keep pushing her to talk to me.”

“Good, cuz that isn’t healthy for either of you.” She paused. “And sitting around here moping isn’t healthy either. How ‘bout we go out and do something.”

He lifted a brow. “What do you wanna go do?”

“Get out of the house.”

Alex chuckled. “Alright, I’ll take you out and we can see what kind of trouble we can get into.”

“Score!” Lily pushed herself to her feet and grabbed up her bowl of grapes just as her cell phone chirped from her pocket. “Oh, that’s me.” He slipped it from her pocket and lifted it to her ear. “Hello?”

Brielle stood as well, taking up her own fruit and glancing to her friend as she answered the phone.

“Oh, hi,” Lily sent her look as she greeted the caller on the other end, “thank you so much for calling me back.” She listened for a moment then nodded. “Yes, we would really appreciate if you could recommend someone out here.”

Alex watched her then looked to Brielle. “Must be her doctor’s office back in New York.”

“I’m guessing,” Brielle agreed before heading towards the kitchen to put the grapes into the fridge. She took Lily’s from her then strode down the hall and into the marble and granite kitchen. After tucking the grapes back into the refrigerator, she washed then dried her hands and strode back to the living room.

Lily was just finishing up her conversation and thanked the caller then lowered the phone and severed the call. “That was my doctor’s office,” she lifted a piece of paper she’d jotted a number down on and waved it at Brielle, “the office assistant gave me a number for a Dr. Morraseu. It’s a woman since I figured you’d be more comfortable with that.”

Brielle took the piece of paper and studied the number. “She any good?”

“She must be,” Lily chuckled, “they said she was one of the best.” Lily took the paper back and began dialing on her phone. “Let’s call and make you an appointment.”

“For today?”

“I doubt they have anything for today; it’s already after two, but for something soon. You were supposed to check in with your ob-gyn after you left the hospital, so we need to get you into one ASAP.”

Brielle nodded then sank back down onto the sofa, watching as Lily conversed with the doctor’s office and went about setting up an appointment. She wasn’t too eager to visit a doctor; the idea of something being wrong with the baby scared her to death. She felt okay, but if something had happened because she wasn’t taking enough care of herself, she didn’t know what she’d do.

“Okay,” Lily set her phone down and looked over the notes she’d taken, “they can get you in Friday morning at nine. She gave me the address so we can look up the directions.”

“We can use the GPS, but I may know the area,” Alex spoke up from where he’d been observing the two.

Brielle turned her baby blue’s to him. “Are you coming with us?”

He sent her a half grin. “Of course; it’s my baby too.”

Brielle returned the grin; for some reason the thought of Alex being there with her made her feel somewhat better.

“Okay, so now that we got that settled, let’s go out.” Lily stood again and stretched. “You know what we need to do?” She tugged her shirt down over her midriff.

Alex rose to his feet and gathered his keys he’d tossed onto the coffee table. “What’s that?”

Lily cast her eyes to her friend then turned to their host. “Buy Brielle some new clothes. She’s starting to get a baby bump and doesn’t have anything that really fits her anymore.”

“Lily!” Brielle frowned; the last thing she wanted was anyone throwing money around for her.

“It’s true.” Lily shrugged. “What are you gonna do when you’re big as a house? You need some clothes.”

Alex lifted a brow and looked over to Brielle. “She’s right. Okay, how ‘bout we take you shopping and get some stuff?”

“You really don’t have to. I’ll…manage somehow.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” he touched her shoulder and steered her towards the hallway, “I’m gonna buy you some new clothes. And you’re not gonna worry about me spending money on it.”

“Easier said than done,” she muttered, but allowed him to lead her along.

“I love clothes shopping,” Lily piped up as she grabbed their handbags from the small table they were on and handed Brielle’s over to her. “Ooh, maybe we can look at some baby clothes too. Wait until you get to start buying all the baby stuff; the clothes and toys and cribs and strollers, high chairs and, gosh, all the diapers.”

Brielle blinked at that, halting in her tracks and causing her friend to bump right into her.

“Brie!” Lily frowned at that.

“I…” she felt suddenly light headed. Brielle hadn’t even thought about all the things she’d have to buy for the baby and the thought of how much money it would take made her feel dizzy.

“Brie?” Alex gently took her elbow. “You okay?”

“I need to sit down,” she managed out and Alex steered her towards a chair.

“Brie?” Lily crouched down in front of her. “What’s wrong?”

Tears filled her blue eyes. “I can’t…I can’t afford all that stuff.”

“Oh, Brie,” she pouted and tucked some hair away from her friend’s face, “you don’t need to worry about that right now.”

“Yes, I do.” She wiped at her cheeks. “I…I can’t just ignore it until it’s time; then I’ll really be screwed.”

“Brielle,” Alex crouched next to Lily and took her hand, “you don’t have to worry about any of that.” His thumb smoothed on her soft skin. “You’re here with me now and I’m going to take care of you and our baby. And,” he continued before she could protest, “you aren’t going to worry about how much it costs.”

She wanted to argue with him, but the expression in his eyes told her he meant it and there was no sense in disagreeing. “Okay,” she finally relented, her shoulders drooping in defeat.

“Good.” He kissed her knuckles. “Now, let’s go get you some clothes.”

~*~*~*~*~

“Ugh, I can’t believe how much we bought!” Lily exclaimed, falling across her friend’s bed. “I’m exhausted; my feet hurt and I don’t want to see the inside of a dressing room again for a long, long time.”

Brielle chuckled and surveyed the bags that were strewn across the room. “I can’t believe it either. Though I have no idea how I’m supposed to fit all of it in my luggage to take back to New York with me.”

Lily shifted up onto her elbow. “You’re not gonna stay here?”

“Well…I don’t know…but this was just a visit. Do you think he wants me to stay?”

Lily gave a sigh and fell backwards again. “Of course he wants you to stay; he just spent a small fortune on you buying you maternity clothes and other necessities; if he didn’t want you to stay he wouldn’t have done so.”

Brielle bit the inside of her cheek. They had spent the last four hours scouring nearly every maternity shop within a fifteen mile radius it had felt like. Alex hadn’t batted one eye at any of the prices of how much he had bought. Of course, he hadn’t let the blonde know how much any of it cost, but she knew what the price tags said. It wasn’t like she’d spurred him on, she’d tried to keep it to a minimum, but he hadn’t let her. He’d been the one to encourage her to get everything she’d need and then some. Lily was right; she couldn’t up and leave now, not after he had spent all that money on her and was trying so hard to take care of her.

“I guess I don’t have to go back to New York.”

Lily smirked and sat up fully. “‘Atta girl; I think that’s a good decision.”

“He does seem to want me out here.”

“He does.” She watched her friend. “I don’t think you’re going to have to worry about anything ever again.”

Brielle made a face. “Well, at least until the kid is 18.”

“Don’t say that, Brie. I don’t think he’s that kind of a guy. And I don’t think he’s gonna just take care of the baby; I think he’s gonna take care of you too.”

Brielle shifted her eyes to her friend and pressed her lips together. “I think you’re right,” she finally relented.

“And even if his bitch of a girlfriend comes back into the picture, I don’t see him letting her walk all over you or him or the situation.” She reached and took Brielle’s hand.

“Oh geeze, I hope not, but let’s not talk about her.”

Lily chuckled. “Okay.” Her lively eyes surveyed the shopping bags around them. “How ‘bout we hang up your clothes and sort through the shoes and other things you got.”

“Do we have to? It’s so much stuff.”

“Aww, yes, we do.” She wiggled from the bed. “Now, c’mon. Be glad I don’t make you try it all on for me again.”

He friend made a face, but obliged and together the two began the arduous task of putting everything away.

A knock on the door sometime later drew their attention and Alex let himself into the room.

“Hey.” He looked the room over. “How’s it going in here?”

Lily looked up from where she was folding the canvas shopping bags and placing them in a pile. “We’re about finished.”

“Sweet. Are you ladies hungry?”

Brielle tilted her head some. “I’m starved actually. That pretzel we had didn’t hold me over for very long.”

Alex chuckled at that. “Well, you are eating for two now.”

“True,” she agreed, turning and hanging up another top. “We’re about done here.”

“Anything I can do to help?”

Lily gathered the bags in her arms. “You could take these and put them with the others that you have.”

“Sure thing.” He moved over to where she sat on the bed and accepted them from her. “Do you ladies want to order some take-out or should I make us up something?”

Brielle neatly arranged the clothing then fully emerged from the closet and shut the door behind her. “Do you cook?”

“Do I cook?” Alex lifted a brow and gave a snort. “Please, you ain’t had nothing yet until you’ve had something I’ve created.”

“Well then, what are we waiting for? Forget take-out; make us up one of your yummy dishes.” Lily nudged his arm gently.

He flashed a charming grin. “Alright, I shall be downstairs preparing a masterpiece if you two need me.” Then he winked at Brielle and strode from the room; canvas bags and all.

“A man that cooks; that is awesome.”

Brielle chuckled and sank down next to her friend. “Jordan hates to cook, doesn’t he?”

“Ugh, yes.” She wrinkled her nose. “His idea of cooking is throwing a TV dinner into the microwave. I’m the one that always has to actually prepare the meals.”

She laughed. “How do you suppose he’s getting by while you’re gone?”

“Easy; he goes to his parents.”

Brielle laughed again then gave a sigh and grew more serious. “I’m gonna miss you when you finally go back home.”

“Aww, Brie, don’t say those things.” Lily wrapped an arm around her friend’s. “We’ll see each other lots of times and talk on the phone probably every day.”

“It won’t be the same.”

“Of course not, but we aren’t going to lose touch. And when you have the baby, you know you won’t be able to keep me away.”

“Hey,” she turned to the brunette, “you and Jordan should move out here after you get married. Then we could all be together and when you have children, they can grow up with my baby.”

Lily chuckled at that. “That’s a sweet thought, but I don’t see Jordan going for it. You know he loves his job and we’ve already been looking at houses together just outside of the city.”

Her friend gasped. “You were? You mean, you were going to leave me all alone and move to the suburbs?”

“We hadn’t made any offers. We’re just looking.” A shrug. “You know that we want to get a house after we’re married.”

“I know, I’m sorry.” She rested her head against Lily’s shoulder. “I still say at least bring up the idea of moving to California. He can always get the same job out here; people need architects here as well. And court reporters,” she added, lightly pinching Lily’s arm and insinuating her friend’s own career.

“Well, I guess it can’t hurt just to mention it.”

Brielle gave a big grin and hugged her friend. “You’re the best, Lil!”

“And don’t you forget it.”

“I won’t.” She lifted her head. “I suppose we should go on downstairs, huh.”

“I guess so.” Lily slipped off the bed and Brielle joined her then, together, the two headed from the room and back down the steps.

A shorter, slightly rounded woman with red hair and wire framed glasses was in the foyer as they headed off the stairs. Upon seeing the two girls her eyes widened and she held a hand to her chest, uttering a low ‘oh my’.

The girls exchanged looks. “Um, hello,” Lily was the first to speak. “You must be Alex’s housekeeper. I’m Lily and this is Brielle,” she introduced them.

The woman’s brows drew together and she frowned. “I am no such thing.”

“Okay, here you go, Ma,” Alex’s voice came from the hallway leading into the kitchen just before he appeared in the foyer, holding a large glass of iced water. He caught sight of the girls and shifted his gaze quickly to his mother.

Ma? Brielle blinked and looked the older woman over, swallowing hard. This was Alex’s mother. Oh shit.

Beside her, Lily gave an uncomfortable laugh. “Oh, you’re his mom. Gosh, I’m so sorry I mistook you for the housekeeper. You see, we hadn’t met her yet and I saw you and…well, we had no idea that you were going to be here so naturally I thought that-”

Denise held up a hand, cutting her off. “It’s alright, dear.” Then she extended it towards Lily first then Brielle, giving each a warm shake. “I’m Denise and yes, I’m Alex’s mother.”

Her son moved up next to her and handed the water over. “She wasn’t supposed to be joining us until Friday, but she decided to come on out a few days early. She just showed up.” He motioned towards the bags that were set off to the side. “I was gonna come up and get you two, but you beat me to it.”

Denise gave a nod. “Well, I thought I might want more than just a couple days to get to know the woman who is having my grandchild.” She took a sip of her water, eyeing Brielle over the top.

Brielle bit her bottom lip, wishing she could slip behind Lily and out of the woman’s gaze. “Well um, it’s nice to meet you.”

“It’s nice to finally meet you as well,” Denise echoed. “Alex has told me so much about you and I’m glad I could finally put a face to the name.”

“Oh,” she glanced over to Alex who sent her a warm grin, “well, I’m glad you could too.”

“I was just telling my mom that I was about to make some dinner. She showed up at the right time.”

“That’s right,” Denise agreed. “Us ladies can sit and get to know each other while my son slaves over a hot stove.”

“He seems to think he’s a pretty good cook.” Lily shifted her gaze his way then back to Denise.

Denise lifted her brows and looked at her son. “Oh, he’s a wonderful cook.” She turned back to the girls and smiled. “And I don’t just say that because I’m his mother.”

“Mom, we all know you’re biased.” Alex chuckled and gave her a little squeeze. “But she’s right; I’m a wonderful cook.”

“Alright, alright, go put your skills to good use and we shall see.” Lily waved him off. “Us ladies will be just fine out here.”

“She’s right, my dear. Go on and we’ll just sit and have a nice chat.” Denise patted his back then motioned towards the living room. “Why don’t we take a seat in here.”

Brielle glanced toward the living room then the hallway where Alex was heading. “You two go ahead, I’m gonna get something to drink first. Lily, do you want anything?”

Lily shook her head and Brielle hurried off down the hall and into the kitchen, finding Alex going through his cabinets.

He glanced over when she entered and shut them. “You okay?”

Brielle smoothed her top, wishing she had put something a little bit nicer on, which she would have had she known she was meeting his mother. “Um…yeah, just thirsty.”

“Oh, well let me get you something.” He reached for a clean glass. “What would you like?”

“Do you have any lemonade?”

He filled her glass with ice. “I do; that’s safe for you to drink, right?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

“Good.” He grinned some then took the pitcher from the fridge and proceeded to pour some of the icy beverage into her glass.

Brielle watched him do that. “So um, your mom is here.”

“Yeah, she is.” He couldn’t help the grin that formed at that thought. “I hadn’t seen her in awhile and I really wanted her to meet you.” He paused and set the pitcher onto the counter, turning his sensitive eyes onto her. “I um…I hope that’s okay with you. I’m sorry; I didn’t even think how you might handle it when I invited her out.”

“Oh,” she shook her head, “no, she’s your mother; if you want her to come visit she’s more than welcome to come visit. It is your house.”

“Well, yeah,” he sighed and shook his head some, “I should have come and talked to you about it first instead of just throwing you into the situation.”

“You don’t have to apologize to me. I’m sure she wanted to meet me and find out what’s going on just as badly as you wanted her to come out here. And I think we’re pretty even; I did kind of invite Lily to come out here without asking you first.”

He chuckled at that and handed her the glass. “She’s not an evil woman.”

“Oh, I know she’s not, she’s been nothing but supportive and helpful and she is my best friend.”

He laughed. “I was talking about my mom, not Lily.”

“Oh.”

Alex chuckled again and picked up the pitcher to put back into the fridge. “You’re cute.”

Brielle tucked some hair behind her ear and fiddled with the glass. “So, what’s your mom think about everything?” She didn’t want to go into this situation blind, unlike the one that Renee threw her into.

“Well, she wasn’t too happy about it, to be honest with you.” He shut the refrigerator then returned to the counter across from her. “But I think she’s slowly coming around. And I think that once she meets you and gets to know you; she’ll be okay. Which is why I wanted her to come out here. My mother can be a bit judgmental about things at first, but once she understands the situation she usually comes around.”

Brielle watched him, understanding somewhat where his mom was coming from. “Does um…she think I’m doing this to get something from you?”

He wet his bottom lip. “Honestly?” When she nodded, he continued, “Maybe a little bit. But that comes from being who I am and what I do. It’s just something celebrities have to deal with; too many people try to latch onto them for their own personal gain and so it’s hard sometimes to distinguish the real ones from the fake.” He reached and touched her cheek. “But once she gets to see the kind of person you are and gets to know you better, she’s going to realize that isn’t the case.”

“It’s really not.”

Her blue eyes were showing off her vulnerability and Alex had the strongest urge to pull her into his arms and hold her close. “I know it’s not,” he said softly before tucking a strand of her silky hair behind her ear and pulling his hand away.

She nodded some. “As long as you know that.”

“I do.” He studied her a moment, knowing he needed to bring this next part up before his mom did and Brielle end up angry with him. “She…wants me to do a paternity test.”

The blonde’s eyes widened some. “She does?”

“Yeah,” he reached and rubbed the back of his neck, “she said that I should do one just to make sure.”

“She thinks I’m lying?”

Alex reached a hand out and took her wrist in it. “She’s just trying to protect me.” Shit, he should have rehearsed this first.

Brielle pressed her lips together before speaking again, “Do you think I’m lying?”

“Would I have brought you out here and told you I was going to take care of you if I thought you were lying?”

“You tell me.”

“No, baby, I don’t think you’re lying. I remember our night together and I know that we weren’t as safe as we should have been.” He studied her face. “And I believe you when you say the baby is mine.”

Brielle relaxed some at his words. “Good, because it is.” Her cheeks tinged just slightly. “You’re the only guy I’ve been with in three years.” And probably will be for the rest of her life, because no one wants to date a girl that comes with a kid.

“I believe you.” He smoothed his thumb on her wrist in tiny circles. “But she’s my mom and you know how mom’s can be, right? They just want to keep you safe and protected and they do everything they can to make sure it happens.”

“I wouldn’t know.” She averted her gaze to the window above the sink. “My mom told me not to bother coming back if I went off to New York instead of going to school like she and my dad wanted.”

A slight crease appeared in his forehead. “Seriously?”

She gave a nod and cleared her throat some. “Um, yeah. I haven’t seen or heard from any of my family since I left.”

A shrug in her shoulders was an attempt to make it seem like she didn’t care, but he saw the pain in her eyes. “I’m sorry, Brielle.”

“Don’t be. It’s not your fault.” She turned her attention back to him. “But if your mom wants there to be a paternity test, then …we can do the test.”

Alex wet his bottom lip and was quiet for a moment. “I know the baby is mine, Brie,” he said softly when he spoke again. “And I don’t want to force anything on you.”

“You’re not.” She took her hand back and picked up her glass. “I didn’t want to come into your life and disrupt it or mess things up for you; and if your mom thinks that I’m doing that, then I’ll do whatever you ask of me.”

He couldn’t help but feel a slight twinge of guilt. “I’m sorry.”

“You don’t have to apologize.” She took a step back from the counter. “But your mom is probably wondering where I ran off to and I’m sure Lily is driving her crazy, so I’m gonna go back in there.” She thumbed towards the hallway.

Alex nodded some and watched her turn and head back off in the direction of the living room. He wasn’t sure why he felt like he’d just torn her heart in two, but he’d seen the way she’d reacted. He knew the baby was his and it was his mother that had the doubt. So this test was for her, not him. And Brielle knew that. Rightfully, this test was something that should be done anyway if even to weed out the doubt of those close to him. So why now did he feel so guilty about it?