- Text Size +

Chapter Twenty-Three

February 5th 2010
8AM

Nick groaned softly as he woke up, he looked down and saw Anna sleeping peacefully on his chest, he smiled softly he loved having her in his arms, sleeping on him. It just felt so right but his smiled faded when he remembered why she was there in the first place. He really didn’t wanna leave her, but his stomach didn’t care. It just wanted food. So he carefully moved her off him and onto a pillow and got a quick shower. He left a note in case she woke up. Then left to get some Breakfast, he wouldn’t stay long and he’d bring her back some food.

When he got to the hotel restaurant, everyone looked at him, “What took ya?” AJ asked his mouthful. Rochelle slapped his arm, making Nick chuckle as he sat down beside Howie, “Don’t talk with your mouth full! Not everyone wants to see your food.” “Where’s Anna?” Leigh asked looking over at Nick. “Yeah, I wanna show her a funny YouTube video.” AJ said. Nick sighed, “She’s asleep in our room, I didn’t wanna wake her since she had a kind of hard night…” He replied his voice trailing off. He would’ve just said it but he wasn’t sure how to say this in front of Baylee. He didn’t wanna scare the kid. Then he remembered the article he was wearing the same jeans as he wore yesterday. “Read this.” He said handing it to Leigh. Howie peered over her shoulder, Nick then left to get some food to eat by the time he sat back down AJ and Rochelle were just finishing up the article, they were the last ones to read it. Leighanne shook her head, “That’s horrible!” “Poor Anna.” Brian said softly. “How is she taking it?” Leigh asked concerned. “She can’t stop crying, I mean the only time she’s able to stop is when she has to take a breath or when she’s asleep.” AJ sighed, he had tried to help Ashley, but she was already too far gone for him to help. “Well if she needs anything, let us know.” He said. Nick nodded, “Will do.”

Anna woke up with a start when she thought she heard something slam, she rubbed her swollen, red, puffy eyes, blinked a couple of times then saw Nick standing in front of her. She jumped, “Carter, what are you doing?” She asked. “Bringing you food…didn’t you see my note?” He asked loud enough for her to hear him. Anna shook her head, “No, I just woke up…did you slam door?” “Yeah, I didn’t mean to though, I had a few things in my hand and the door just shut before I could close it quietly.” Anna nodded, “You brought me food?” Nick grinned and nodded then went over to the kitchen area of the room and put some scrambled eggs on a plate. He walked over to her and handed her the plate, she looked at it and crawled back under the covers. Nick threw the covers back as he sat beside her, “Eat.” He demanded. “No, I’m not that hungry…” Anna said as she put her arms over her eyes, Nick sighed, “I don’t care if you are or aren’t, you’re gonna fucking eat…Understand?” Anna groaned sitting up, she looked at Nick who was trying hide the worry on his face but it wasn’t working, Anna smiled softly at him, he was trying to look after her and she was being difficult, she took the plate and starting eating, making Nick grin.

After she had finished eating and had gotten a shower, they had some time before they had to go to rehearsals so Nick decided to show her around Tokyo but since the boys were so popular in Japan wherever they went they needed security with them. As they walked into a store, Anna was quiet lost in thought with a bunch of what if’s in her mind, but Nick soon interrupted them, “What do you think of this?” He asked holding up a purple gem bracelet. Anna smiled, “I love it, it’s so cute!” “Want it?” He asked. Anna thought for a moment, “Nah, that’s okay, I don’t need any more stuff.” Nick chuckled as he waved it in front of face, “You sure about that?” “No.” Anna replied with a laugh. “I’ll buy it for you if you want it.” Anna sighed, “Mmmm, fine, okay, I want it!” Nick laughed, “Stop looking so sad, and look around the store anything you want, I’ll buy for you.” Anna shrugged, “The bracelet will be fine, I don’t really see anything else.” “You sure?” Nick asked and Anna nodded. Nick then noticed some horror movies along the sidewall he picked up a few, read the back and liked them so he bought them.

After Nick had paid for the bracelet, he showed her everything there was to see well as much as he could in the time they had before rehearsals and Nick was pleased when by the time they were done she seemed happier.

Now they were at the rehearsals and they were the last ones to arrive. Everyone surrounded Anna, giving her lots of hugs, then Baylee came up to her with a piece of coloured paper in his hand, “Mommy and Daddy told me that your friend went to heaven...so I made this for you.” He said as he handed her a homemade card that said ‘Don’t be sad, be happy!’ and then he had drawn a bunch of pictures of suns and stars and some other happy things. Anna smiled as tears came to her eyes so she leaned down to his level and hugged him. “Thank you.” She said in an almost a whisper. “You’re welcome…Do you wanna colour with me? That helps make me feel better.” Anna nodded, “Sure.” Colouring with Baylee helped keep her mind off her problems but it didn’t help Nick from always catching a glance over in her direction to make sure she was okay.

They guys had to hang out the Venue, a while longer because it was going to be soundcheck soon. So now, everyone was backstage and Anna was still hanging out with Baylee when Nick came over and sat with them and Baylee showed him a picture of him on stage with the boys that he had drawn, “That’s a really good picture, I like it. Have you showed the others yet?” Baylee shook his head, “Not yet.” “Well you should go show them, now.” He said and Baylee went off. Anna smiled as she hugged Nick and he hugged her back tightly “Thank you…” She whispered. “For what? He asked. Anna pulled back and smiled at him, “For last night, for this morning, for the trip around the city, for trying to make me feel happy again. I know it’s only been like a day or so but I’m already feeling a little better.” Nick grinned and kissed her forehead, “Good, then I’ll keep up the good work.” Anna smiled and was about to say something but then Baylee came back so she decided against it.

Anna was dreading Soundcheck since she wasn’t in the mood to talk to anyone or do anything but watching Nick just be Nick during the soundcheck made her feel better. Anna was leaning against the wall watching the guys sing the last song before answering the questions. It was clear that they were all having fun and normally she had fun watching but she just couldn’t get into it. AJ came over to her, “Stop looking sad. It’s depressing you know.” Anna wanted to tell him to go away and leave her alone but that would be kind of mean since he was just trying to make her feel better, so she forced a smile, “That better?” She asked. AJ grinned, “Much better.” Anna chuckled and shook her head as she watched him go back and sit on his stool.

After soundcheck was over and they did the meet and greets, they all climbed back into the van to take them back to the hotel or wherever else they wanted to go, Anna sat in between Howie and Nick. She rested her head on Nick’s arm, she felt tears threatening to fall, as she was still upset over Ashley, she tried to hold them back but it was no use, tears started to fall. Nick moved his arm to around her shoulders and pulled her close as she cried quietly into his chest. No one said a word they just sat there.
They were now pulling up to the hotel, there was a bunch of fans outside, and after they ran into the hotel, Anna headed straight for the elevators but Nick caught her hand and pulled her towards him, “You are not gonna hideaway, your gonna stay down here and eat with us and your gonna actually eat.” Anna smiled as she put her arms around his neck, “Carter, I’m feeling a lot better than I did this morning…and I was planning on eating down here…I was gonna go upstairs because I have to pee.” Nick chuckled, “Okay, I’ll wait down here for you.” Anna gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, “Thank you.” She said then walked towards the elevators.

When she came back down, Nick was waiting for her, “Told you I’d be waiting.” Anna laughed, “Yeah, but let’s just eat already…I’m starved.” Nick nodded, “Me too.” He agreed as they started to walk towards the table. “You’re always hungry. Anna said.” “So are you.” Nick replied. Anna shrugged, “You’re the one making me eat all the time.” Nick made a face, “Only because sometimes you don’t eat enough even when you’re hungry.” Anna laughed, and Nick grinned at her, “You make a good point, Carter.” “Thank you.” He said as they reached table then they sat down.

As they ate, Anna began to feel even better than she had before, being with Nick helped a lot too, he hadn’t left her side, or when she did, he’d always watch her and try to keep her in his line of view.

They finally had some free time to do whatever they wanted and so Anna and Nick went upstairs to play video games, but Anna wanted to check her email first and saw that Eric had sent her a video as an attachment, she smiled when she played it; it was Eric on the acoustic guitar. It started with a message from Eric, “Hey, I really, really miss you already and I can’t sleep and I can hear your nagging voice telling me not to drink so I can pass out and sleep. So why not sing some of your fave Christian songs that always put me to sleep?” Anna laughed, and when she did Nick came over, “What’s so funny?” and so Anna replayed the message and Nick laughed, but then they both continued to watch, the first song was from Michael W. Smith it was called A New Hallelujah and after that one he just sang the regular Hallelujah. After Eric sang them, he said his goodbye message, “Anyways, I’m tired now so good night, I love ya and miss ya.”
Anna moved her laptop to the bed and sat down, Nick followed. He rested his head on Anna’s shoulder, “Stop checking emails and come play with me…” He almost whined. Anna gave him look and then looked back at the screen, “What?” He asked. Anna chuckled, “Nothing really…just what you said…it kind of sounded wrong.” Nick gasped, “You dirty minded girl and I thought I was bad.” Anna giggled, “You are, you’re way worse than me.” “How am I worse?” He asked. Anna looked at him, “because when you’re bored you make everything anyone says dirty, even the most innocent thing you turn dirty. I don’t go that far.” Nick groaned, “Okay fine, I’m worse BUT finish your stuff so we can play that game…” “I just have to email my mom and then we’ll play.” Anna said. Nick fell back on the bed, crossed his arms across his chest, and pouted. Anna giggled, and pulled out her phone and switched it to camera and snapped a picture. Anna laughed after viewing the picture, “Aww, this is so cute, so gonna be my new pic on twitter…speaking of Twitter…I need to check it.” Nick shook his head, “NO! No Twitter or Facebook, once you on there, it takes forever to get you off and by then it’ll be time to leave for the concert and I wanna play before then!” Anna sighed, “Fine! Can I write my email at least?” Nick made a face then smiled, “On one condition!” He really wasn’t serious but he just wanted to her what her reaction would be. “Which is?” “A kiss…and when I say I mean a real kiss not some cheek kiss…I miss your lips.” Anna blushed but smiled, “That sounds reasonable enough.”

She moved up to him laying half on him she pressed her body close to his softly touching his cheek making him leaning towards her. Their lips touched softly. He closed his eyes as soon as he felt her soft lips against his. 'Its amazing feeling her lips and her body close like this.' He thought as he felt her tongue slipping into his mouth and touching his gently.
Anna was a tease she pressed her body as close as possible as she moved completely on top of him with one hand she went under his shirt to stroke his stomach. She missed this, teasing him, that it was hard for him to control himself as she kissed him more passionately. Anna could feel that he got hard by her only laying on him and it made her smile secretly. Nick cupped her face and moaned into her mouth.
His right hand went down to her hot butt and squeezed it slightly. He was dying to push her away and strip down her clothes and make love to her, making her screaming his name and touching like she had never has been touched before. Anna couldn’t behave she had missed kissing him passionately and deepened the kiss. Within seconds Nick moaned into Anna’s mouth, She played roughly with his tongue as she felt his hand under her shirt going higher and higher... Anna gasped and pulled away and Nick opened his eyes, "What's wrong? Come baaack, pleeeeeeeease." Anna chuckled, "No, Carter." "Why?!" Nick pouted. "Because you wanted a kiss and you got one," she said with a smirk

Anna sat up, went back to her laptop, and wrote her email as Nick set up the video game. He was finished setting up before she was finished with her email so he just stood there and stared at her, he loved looking at her even her eyes were sore and puffy looking from all the crying she had done.

After finishing her email she looked up at Nick who was looking at her, she smiled at him and he smiled back, “Ready for me to kick your ass?” She asked walking over to him. “You think you’re gonna win but no I shall win this game…muahahahhaha.” Nick laughed evilly. Anna laughed, “You’re so weird.” Nick grinned, “But that’s why you love me soo much!!” “That and among other reasons.” Anna replied sitting on the couch. She picked up the controller, “Ready to play?” Nick sat beside her, controller in hand, and then since he was player one he pressed start and they started to play. It was a racing game, Anna’s favourite kind of game.

They played up until they had to leave for the concert and Nick won every game and Nick being Nick was soaking it all in. He hadn’t won anything against her in a long time. He was a very happy man right now. They were walking down the hallway to the elevator area; Howie and Leigh were already there with Brian, Leighanne, and Baylee. Nick walked straight over to Howie and Brian and put his arms around their necks, “Guess what?” Howie laughed, but Brian answered first, “Well you seem happy…so are you and Anna are finally together.” Nick frowned, “No, not yet. Guess again.” “She kicked your ass in a video game?” AJ asked coming up to them having heard some of the conversation. Nick shook his head, “Opposite.”

“You beat her?!” The boys all asked simultaneously. Nick nodded, feeling proud of himself. The other boys looked at her, Anna laughed, “It’s true, but this whole Ash thing has put my off my game, I’ll kick his ass again soon enough.” “That’s what you think.” Nick said walking over to her. Anna grinned, “It’s not what I think, Carter…It’s what I KNOW!” Then they heard various, ‘ooohs’ Nick shook his head, “Doubt it, but after the concert we can play another rematch.” Anna nodded, “You’re on, Carter!” She said as she put in her iPod, “What are you listening to?” Nick asked taking the iPod from her. He looked at the screen, and saw that she was listening to Beautiful Lie. He smiled, “This is a good song.” Anna nodded, “It’s one my new favourites, I can’t stop listening to it.”

They were at the concert venue now, and all the boys were changing. Anna was with Nick in his change room, she was lying on the couch, she really wasn’t paying attention to him getting undressed she would’ve if she had known he was undressing but she got talking to Kayla and listening to Taylor Swift she had totally zoned out.
After Nick was finished, he sat in front of Anna, “What are you listening to now?” He asked. Anna laughed and handed him a earphone, he took it and put it in, and then he heard, ‘Is this in my head, I don't know what to think-He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said...Marry me Juliet, you'll never have to be alone. I love you, and that's all I really know. I talked to your dad -- go pick out a white dress it’s a love story, baby just say... yes.’ Anna was mouthing the words to him the whole time but laughing, she seemed a lot better than she had today and she was happy he was happy. Nick took out the earphone, “Love story is a good song but overplayed.” Anna nodded, “But still addicting.” “True.” Nick agreed. He looked at the clock, then back at her, “I gotta go…you gonna watch tonight?” Anna shrugged, “Probably not...I don’t feel like moving.” “I can fix that!” Nick said as he scooped her up in his arms, walked out the door, and sat her down where she could watch from backstage. “See, I told you I could fix it,” Anna giggled, “Just get your ass on stage, Carter.” She said pointing to the stage. Nick nodded as him and the guys made their way to stand in front the screen. He looked back at her and smiled and Anna smiled back at him though she could feel herself blushing. She silently thanked God that he was too far away to notice.

It was halfway through the concert and Anna had fallen asleep on the couch in Nick’s dressing room so when he came in, he stopped for a moment and stared at the sleeping girl. He quickly grabbed his phone, snapped a picture, and set it as his background. He grinned to himself as he changed, if she was allowed to always snap pictures of him sleeping why couldn’t he do the same. Before heading back out, he noticed goosebumps on Anna’s arms so he grabbed the button up red and white checked shirt and slipped it through her arms, being careful not to wake her. After he made sure that, nothing else of her was cold, and that she looked comfortable, he left the room.

Soon enough the concert was over and Nick had changed back into his regular clothes, he wore a white wife beater, he leaned down to Anna, he was leaning on the balls of his feet and softly shook Anna, she groaned, “I don’t wanna wake up.” Nick chucked, “But we gotta go the concerts over.” “Still don’t wanna open my eyes.” Nick made a face, thinking of what he could do to make her move, he had plenty of good ideas but they still only friends and not yet together so those ideas were out. Then he grinned to himself as an idea came to his head, “Even if it means seeing me without a shirt on?” Anna’s eye’s shot up and she sat up, she looked at him, “But –you –you tricked me! NOT COOL!” Nick chucked standing up, “I had to do something to make you get up, now come on, let’s go.” He said grabbing her hand trying to pull her off the couch. “I stay here and sleep here. I don’t wanna move.” She complained lying back down. Nick sighed, “Fine.” He said then walked out the door figuring she was only kidding. But after waiting for a couple minutes, she still hadn’t walked out making him go back inside. He saw her lying there. So he walked back in and grabbed Anna sitting her up and placing her on his shoulder and walked back out. Anna managed to sit up in Nick’s grip, “CARTER! Put me down!” Nick shook his head, “Only if promise not to go find a corner to sleep in…we really gotta go…you can sleep in the car.”
Anna groaned, “Fine, only if I can use you as a pillow.” Nick chuckled as he set her down, “Of course, now c’mon.” He said as he pushed her out the backdoor.

As they climbed into the van, AJ turned to look at them, “What took ya so long? Too busy making out to notice the time?” “Shut up, AJ.” Nick said sharply. “She was asleep; she’s hard to wake up once she’s asleep.” “But I’m sure you made it really easy for her to wake up.” AJ teased as Nick shot him the finger. Anna pulled Nick’s arm down and cuddled into it, using it as her pillow. Nick leaned his head against the window; he let his hand rest on Anna’s leg. He sighed, he loved her so much, and he just wanted her to be his he’d wait forever if he had to, but he reminded himself that he at least has her as a friend for now rather than nothing at all forever.

Once they arrived, Nick moved her hair out of her eyes and spoke softly, “Baby, we’re here.” Anna groaned, “I DON’T wanna move.” Nick smiled softly, “I’d carry you expect there’s too many fans out there, don’t argue this time…please.” Anna groaned again and sat up and since her and Nick were in the very backseat they had to wait for the others to go first. After making it through the crowd of fans everyone went to elevators, expect for AJ and Rochelle who took the stairs, when the doors opened Anna walked slowly, Nick took her hand and pulled her close to him, he hugged her, “We’re almost there.” “Hmmm.” Anna mumbled. Nick smiled as he rested his head on top of hers. Everyone stood there in silence too tired to talk. Usually the first few days after a break, was the roughest, getting back into the not-much-sleep habit was hard. The doors opened and they walked out, and Nick held Anna close, he was afraid if he let go she’d drop to the floor asleep.

Once in their room, Nick walked Anna to her bed and laid her down, “Baby?” He said softly as he knelt beside the bed. “Hmmmm….” Was Anna’s reply. “You need to get ready for bed, you hate sleeping in your clothes.” “When did I say that?” Anna asked sleepily. “When I came to visit you, you told me that you hate sleeping in your clothes…so unless you want me to put your pyjamas on for you…I suggest you wake up for a few minutes.” Anna chuckled, “You would too…Okay I’M UP!” She said sitting up. She looked at Nick who was smiling at her. It was at this point she noticed she was wearing Nick’s shirt, she looked back at him, and asked, “Did you put this on me?” Nick nodded, “You looked cold…” Anna smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck, “Thank you.” She said softly and in this same moment Nick kissed her arm quickly, Anna then grabbed her stuff and went to the bathroom to get changed. When she came back out, she noticed Nick was shirtless, but he had sweatpants on. He was fiddling with the heat the room was so cold. She walked over to him, “Why is the room so cold suddenly?” “Heat broke.” Nick replied standing up. Anna rubbed her arms but she had Nick’s shirt in her hands so she handed to him, “Here.” She said. Nick shook his head, “its cold in here. Keep it.” Anna smiled and put it back on, “Thank you…uhm.. I don’t wanna sleep by myself…I keep having bad dreams lately…” She said softly. She could feel her face growing hot by just asking. Nick nodded, “Of course, you don’t even have to ask, I lo—like you very much. So damn much. You can sleep with me anytime you want.” He said trying to not make the last part sound dirty but it didn’t work. Anna grinned, “We cuddle too? I mean friends do cuddle right?” Nick nodded, he opened his mouth to speak, but instead he yawned making Anna giggle. He smiled at her and then crawled into the bed with her following with him, she took out her hearing aids and sat them on the table beside her she looked back at Nick and moved closer to him letting her head rest against his chest and she fell asleep to the sound of his heartbeat.