- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty Three

“I would really like to see you today. I had a cancellation and I can squeeze you and Brooklyn in.”

“Really? That would be great Dr. Tresher.”

“Can you make it in an hour?”

“I sure can. See you then.”

I hung up and turned to Nick. “Dr. Tresher wants to see me today. She can see us in an hour.”

“An hour? It’ll take us at least thirty minutes to get there from here.”

“Well, I’ll get Brooklyn, you pull the car around, and we’ll make it.”

Nick grabbed his car keys from the hall table and headed outside. I picked Brooklyn up out of her swing. Her little nose was still dripping. She felt warm to my touch.

“Okay, pumpkin. Let’s see if we can get you feeling better.”

I locked up the house just as Nick pulled his car up to the front door. I opened the door and put Brooklyn into her car seat. She tossed her head back and forth, letting out a whine in protest.

“It’s okay. Once daddy starts driving I know you’re going to get over your hissy fit,” I said calmly. I double checked the buckles and hoped in. Nick looked behind him at Brooklyn.

“All set?” he asked. I nodded.

“Let’s roll.”

Forty minutes and one traffic jam later, we pulled up to the doctor’s office. While I got out and checked in at the desk, Nick got Brooklyn and the car seat out. I had just sat down when he walked in and sat down beside me. A young pregnant woman sitting across from me lowered the magazine she was reading. Her eyes widened in surprise. She quickly brought the magazine up again, but I could see her eye trained on Nick. I leaned over, my mouth brushing his ear.

“You’ve got a fan,” I whispered. His smile widened. He caught her eye and she lowered the magazine again.

“Hello,” Nick said cheerfully.

“H—Hi,” the girl said.

“Are you having your first?”

The girl nodded. “Your little girl’s adorable.”

Nick kissed the top of Brooke’s head. “Thank you.”

“You’re Nick Carter, right?”

Nick nodded. “I am.”

“My older sister used to love you.”

Before she could say anything else the nurse called us back. Nick gave her a smile and followed me to the exam room. Once we were in the room, Nick’s smile fell.

“What?” I asked confused.

“I hate when people say they used to love me,” he said. He was practically pouting. “What did I do that made them not love me anymore?”

I stifled a laugh as the nurse wrapped the blood pressure cuff around me.

“I don’t think it’s so much you, babe,” I said. “I think they just mean Backstreet Boys in general.”

“Well we haven’t gone anywhere,” Nick complained.

“I know, but Jive screwed you over on airplay. To a lot of people you have.”

“That’s going to change,” Nick said. He sat down with Brooklyn. The nurse finished up with me and asked us some generic questions about Brooke’s eating, sleeping, and pooping habits.

“Dr. Tresher will be with you in just a minute or two,” the nurse said. I smiled and thanked her; she closed the door behind her.

“What time’s your party starting tonight?” Nick asked.

“Seven. What time is your mom coming over?”

“Six. My party starts at eight.”

“Really? I figured since Brian and Leighanne were planning our parties they’d coordinate times.”

Nick shrugged. “I don’t know. He won’t tell me what he’s got planned.”

“Uh-oh.”

“Don’t say uh-oh. If it was AJ planning it I would say uh-oh. But Brian? It will be fine.”

At that moment Dr. Tresher knocked on the door and walked in. She broke into a big smile as soon as she saw us.

“Well, well, well,” she said lightly. “I knew you guys would be back for Round 2. I just didn’t think it would be this soon.”

I blushed; Nick grinned. “I can’t be tamed.”

“I see that. But, before we get to that, let’s take a look at Brooke. I see a red little nose. Has she been drooling a lot?”

Nick nodded. “She’s a slobbery little booger. She’s been chewing on her blanket a lot lately too.”

Dr. Tresher put her finger on Brooke’s bottom lip and tried to nudge her way in. Brooke gave her a haughty little glare. She seemed to be trying to keep her mouth shut even though little baby bubbles were dripping through the sides. Finally Dr. Tresher managed to use the slobber to work her way in. Brooke let out a loud open-mouthed cry as Dr. Tresher shined her light in.

“Well, I don't hear any chest congestion. And her little mouth holds the answer to the stuffiness and the runny nose. She’s cutting her first tooth.”

“Already?” I said in surprise. Dr. Tresher nodded.

“It’s not uncommon. Around four months is when they can start cutting. That also explains the increased drool. Getting teeth is hard work.”

“It’s probably a good thing you stopped breastfeeding,” Nick teased. He chomped his teeth in my direction. I shook my head.

“What can we do to help ease the pain?” I asked the doctor.

“Rubber teething rings, baby Orajel, even just running your fingers along the gums can provide some comfort.”

“I’m guessing whiskey’s out?” Nick said.

“You’re in rare form today aren’t you?” Dr. Tresher answered with a laugh. “Yes, absolutely no whiskey. For baby or dad. And not for mom either.” She turned to look at me. “Let’s take a look at you and see if we can’t give you guys an idea of a due date.”

She walked over to the ultrasound equipment. Nick was eyeing the internal ultrasound wand; I still remembered his shock at discovering a ‘dildo’ at the doctor’s office.

“When was the last time you had intercourse?” Dr. Tresher asked. I blushed. If I would have known I had an appointment today…

“This morning,” Nick said lightly. Dr. Tresher looked from him to me.

“This explains why you two are here again,” she teased. “Alright, tummy ultrasound it is.”

I lay back on the exam table and lifted my shirt. Even though I had plenty of experience with the gel, I still jumped at the coldness.

“You got back to pre-pregnancy weight quickly,” Dr. Tresher remarked.

“Actually, I even lost a little more,” I said.

“Well, as you know, that will change soon.”

I sighed. So much for my size 8’s.

Nick scooted his chair closer so that he could see the monitor. After a few seconds, Dr. Tresher pointed to the screen.

“You’re about six weeks along,” Dr. Tresher said. “We’ve got a good heartbeat here.”

Even though it had come as a huge surprise, the mention of a heartbeat and the sight of a teeny blip on the screen made my heart melt. Once upon a time in the not so distant past Brooklyn had been that little tiny blip. I couldn’t imagine life without her now.

Dr. Tresher turned off the screen and wiped the goo off my stomach. As I sat up, she tapped her pen thoughtfully on the chart.

“I’m going to put your due date as February 21,” she said.

“Eleven months apart,” I said, glancing at Brooke.

“You’re going to have your hands full for sure,” Dr. Tresher said. “Now I also need to discuss some risks. You’re at a higher risk for miscarriage and for preterm birth. Keeping that in mind, don’t hesitate to call me or head to the ER if you see any bleeding or feel any cramping.”

“What about flying? We’re going to Australia on our honeymoon,” Nick explained.

“Well, you flew early in your last pregnancy if I remember correctly. Just don’t go crazy and make sure you know where to seek help if you need it. I’d like to schedule another appointment when you get back to check things again.”

We spent a few more minutes talking and scheduling my next appointment. Before she left the room, Dr. Tresher shook both our hands.

“You guys are going to need a bigger tour bus,” she said with a smile. Nick laughed.

“Yeah, I thought it was going to be rough with one.”

“Well, I’ll see you all soon. And congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.”

“Thank you,” I said with a smile. She left and I took a moment to get my shoes on. Nick handed me my purse.

“Liv?”

“Yeah?”

“What are nuptials?”

I laughed. “The wedding ceremony.”

“Ohhhh,” he said. “That makes sense. I thought it was an Australian word. Like marsupial.”

As we walked out of the room I shook my head.

He was adorable, but he gave new meaning to blonde moments.