- Text Size +
Chapter Forty Nine – July 14

“Stuffed kangaroo?”

“Check.”

“Expensive wine?”

“Check.”

We were standing by a rental van at the Tampa International Airport, checking our luggage. With all of the things we bought in Australia, our luggage practically doubled.

“I think we’re good,” Nick finished, closing the trunk.

“Time to go home,” I said. Nick smiled and kissed me hard, pressing me against the side of the van.

On one hand it was good to be home. It felt good not to have to wear long sleeves. On the other hand, I wouldn’t trade one moment of my alone time with Nick for anything in the entire world. As I pulled away, the side of me that wanted to keep Nick all for myself came raging to the surface.

“Maybe we can hide a few more days,” I said. Nick grinned.

“If there wasn’t a certain little blonde haired girl that I’m dying to see, I would take you up on that.”

“I know,” I said with a little sigh as we climbed into the backseat. Our driver took off towards home.

If the flight to Australia had been long, the flight home had been even longer. I threw up about three times and any sleep I got was scattered. Nick didn’t fare much better.

As the van bumped along, Nick called the house.

“Hey mom. We’re headed home. How long have you been at the house? How is she? We can’t wait to see you guys.”

Nick talked for a minute or so and then handed me the phone.

“Hi mom,” I said happily.

“Hey baby girl. How was your trip?”

I sighed and leaned into Nick. “Amazing. But we missed you guys. Being away from Brooklyn this long about killed us.”

“Didn’t you stay busy?”

I was glad mom couldn’t see me blush.

“Of course we did. But, I don’t have to tell you how it feels to be away from your daughter.”

“I absolutely understand,” mom said gently. “We’ll see you when you get home.”

“Okay. Love you.”

“Love you too.”

Forty minutes later the van pulled up to the house. I had about lost my mind when we had gotten stuck in traffic. I had my seatbelt off before the van came to a complete stop. Nick stopped to help the driver unload our luggage. I raced up the steps to the front door. Mom met me there, Brooklyn in her arms.

“Oh Brooke,” I said, tears springing to my eyes. I scooped her out of my mom’s arms and kissed her little face. Her little hands clung to me tightly; her face erupted into a perfect smile.

“Mommy and daddy missed you so much,” I told her. She seemed to hang onto my every word.

“There’s my angel.”

Brooklyn’s head turned quickly at the sound of Nick’s voice. Her grip loosened on me and my eyes widened as she actually held her arms out as Nick walked up to her. He looked just as surprised, but he lifted her up in the air. Her lips formed a perfect pucker for kisses.

“Look at you!” he said happily, kissing her little mouth. “You’re a big girl!”

“She’s been reaching out for the past couple of days,” my mom said. “I haven’t seen the kissy pucker though. That’s new.”

Brooke touched Nick’s face. He blew a raspberry and her eyes lit up.

“Do you need help with your luggage?” my mom asked. Before I could respond she was already down the stairs, heading towards the suitcases. I started down after her to help, but Nick put a hand on my arm.

“The heaviest thing you’re carrying is Brooklyn,” he reminded me. He passed her back to me. Brooklyn kept her eyes trained on Nick but snuggled up against me.

“Are you happy we’re home?”

She sighed in contentment. I took that as a yes.

---------------------------------------------------

“What is she going to do with a three foot tall kangaroo?” my mom asked.

We were sitting around the living room staring at the giant plush kangaroo that Nick had bought. Nick hoisted Brooklyn in the air, laying her across the back. He held her in place while I took a picture.

“She’s going to grow,” Nick said in defense. “She’ll be climbing all over Jumpy in no time at all.”

“Jumpy?” I said. “I don’t think kangaroos jump. They hop.”

“This one jumps,” Nick said. “He’s like the Shaq of kangaroos.”

Mom and I laughed. Nick scooped Brooke back up and settled her down on his lap. Her hand patted his hairy leg happily.

“I’m going to miss taking care of her 24-7,” my mom said with a little sigh. “A grandmother couldn’t ask for a better granddaughter.”

I smiled and took a sip of lemonade. “That’s good to hear.”

“Did you two at least get a head start on making me another grandchild while you were gone?”

I was still mid-sip of lemonade. A huge spray flew out of my mouth. I felt the liquid sting my nose. Nick just grinned.

“I don’t know,” Nick said lightly. “Do you think we could handle two kids?”

I busied myself cleaning up my mess.

“Well you do have a hands-on grandmother at your disposal,” my mom said.

“That’s true,” Nick said noncommittally. He reached over and took a sip from his glass.

“We brought you something,” I said, desperate to change the subject. I handed mom a big bag.

“What’s this?”

“It’s for you and Mike,” Nick said. “Some chains and whips.”

“Nick!”

He just laughed. My mom shook her head. She took out the champagne and an Aborigine necklace.

“The necklace isn’t for Mike is it?” she asked. I laughed.

“No, that’s for you. The wine’s to share.”

“Unless women’s jewelry is Mike’s kind of thing.”

Both mom and I looked at Nick. He shrugged cutely.

“Hey, I’m sure Sam would appreciate it.”

“Sam?” my mom asked. She looked at me. “Gay Sam?”

I nodded. “Yeah, he’s going to be the new videographer and photographer for the guy’s new album and tour.”

“I always thought you would marry him,” my mom said thoughtfully. “I just don’t understand how all that works.” She started making hand motions I didn’t want to see. I nudged her playfully.

“Why don’t you have a glass of wine and we’ll discuss it?”

-----------------------------------------------------

That night I leaned in the doorway of Brooklyn’s nursery and watched as Nick sat in the rocking chair feeding her. Her little hands rested on Nick’s large ones as she tried to hold the bottle. She struggled not to close her eyes.

“Don’t fight it sweetie,” Nick whispered. He rocked gently and began to hum. Ever so slowly her eyes closed and the bottle slipped from her mouth. I walked over and took it from him. Nick didn’t get up right away. He watched her sleep; his face gentle.

“I hope we have another girl,” he said quietly. I kneeled beside the rocker, looking down at Brooke’s sleeping form.

“Why?”

“There’s just something about a little girl…I’m good with girls.”

I grinned. “Tell me about it.”

He rolled his eyes. “Not that way. I mean I am good that way, but...you know what I mean.”

I nodded. “I know. So what if it’s a boy?”

Nick laughed. He slowly stood up.

“Well then I’ll teach him all of the things not to do and love him to bits. Oh, and teach him to sail.”

I smiled. Nick lowered Brooke into her crib and we both watched her sleep.

“We need to start looking for another house soon,” Nick whispered.

“I know. I want to move before you guys start recording.”

“Which gives us about six weeks,” Nick said. I wrinkled my nose.

“Yeah. That’s going to be hard.”

“Oh, I don’t know. I’m thinking we probably don’t need a mansion. We are just regular people after all. I don’t want to play hide and seek with my kids and need a GPS to find them.”

I laughed softly. “Are we going to become suburbanites?”

“I’d like to.”

I looked up at him. I suddenly realized that much of Nick’s life had been far from normal. He didn’t want that for our kids and neither did I.

“A nice four bedroom with a good security system and actual grass in the backyard?”

“The more grass the better.”

“Within driving distance of the beach?”

“Well, you can’t take a sailor from his ocean.”

I wrapped my arms around his waist. “Well, where can I take a sailor?”

Nick’s face lowered to mine. He kissed me softly.

“You can take this sailor to bed.”

---------------------------------------

July 15

I woke up to the sound of the phone ringing persistently. I picked up and stifled a yawn.

“Hello?”

“Hi newlywed.”

I grinned. “Hey Leigh. How’s Kayleigh?”

“She’s wonderful. I don’t know what took us so long to have another baby.”

“How’s Baylee?”

“He is the best big brother. I think he’s probably the reason it seems easier this time around. He likes to do diaper changes. Can you believe it?”

“He can come over here anytime he wants. There’s plenty of diapers to go around.”

“I’ll keep that in mind. How was the honeymoon? I saw the paparazzi got to you.”

I groaned. “Yeah, but we managed to allude them for most of the trip.”

“So how does it feel to be a Backstreet wife?”

I snuggled back into my pillow.

“Wonderful. I think I’ll keep him.”

Nick opened an eye and smiled.

“When can you guys come up here for a visit?”

“I’m not sure, but I’ll check the calendar and let you know.”

“Sounds good. We need to introduce the girls to each other.”

“I know. Girl power!”

“Yeah, there’s way too much testosterone if you know what I mean. Anyhow, call me when you figure out a date.”

“Absolutely. Give our love to Brian and Baylee. Oh, and Kayleigh.”

“Will do. Bye Liv.”

“Bye Leigh.”

I hung up and stretched. Nick rolled over; the sheets barely covered his nakedness.

“How’re they doing?”

“Really good. She wants us to come up for a visit.”

“Mmm, that would be fun. We’ll have to look at our calendar.”

I felt his hand on my side. It slowly trailed over my stomach.

“How much longer do you think we can hide this baby bump?”

My hand covered his. My bump had emerged on the last day of our stay in Australia.

“At least until our next doctor’s visit. And if we can, a little longer than that.”

Nick smiled. “I like having secrets with you.”

“As long as you don’t keep secrets from me, I’m okay with the secret thing.”

Nick’s pinky found mine and we did a pinky swear.

“Baby Carter, Part 2. The world’s best kept secret,” he said quietly. I grinned.

“And just imagine the look on everyone’s faces when we do tell everyone,” Nick added.

I crossed my eyes. That was the part I wasn’t looking forward to.

Something told me that everyone wasn’t going to be as happy for us like they were the first time around.