- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This story is the prequel to "Life". The first few chapters give some detail about Ashton's life when she starts high school. It will help to understand when things start to devlop between her and Nick.

Even though this story is a prequel, it can also be read as a stand alone story.

Friday, April 23, 1993

I never thought I would be packing up boxes for my cousin Brian. He was the latest victim from my family to move to Florida. My older brother Kevin was living down there. Brian was my favorite cousin. I wasn’t thrilled to be losing him to another state. This was all Kevin’s fault. He asked Brian to join some vocal harmony a group.

Tonight I was driving with my Aunt Jackie and Uncle Harry to Florida. We were moving Brian’s stuff to Florida. I just wanted to see what was so special in Florida.

“Ashton, thank you for helping us take Brian’s stuff down to Orlando.” Uncle Harry said as we pulled out of the driveway.

“I just want to make sure he’ll be okay. Plus, I want to see Kevin.”

Well let me tell me about myself. My name is Ashton Jeanette Richardson. I’m fourteen years old. I am almost finished with the eighth grade. I’m known as a geek at my school. That’s because I’m smart. I’ve been in gifted and talented since I was in first grade. I get straight A’s on my report card. I play the piano, clarinet, and flute. I always carry a book with me. My biggest passion in life is dance. I have long black hair, which I wear straight. I don’t have time to bother with it. My eyes are green and I wear glasses. I also have braces. It doesn’t help that I’m already five foot eight inches tall. No wonder everyone thinks I’m a geek. I certainly look like one.

Brian always told me I will be a knock-out when I get older. He says all the guys will want to date me. I think he’s crazy, but I love him. In the past few years, we have spent a lot of time together. He didn’t mind that I was younger than him. He let me play basketball with him and his friends.

---------------------------

Saturday, April 24, 1993

It was a long drive from Kentucky to Florida. We finally arrived. I pounded loudly on the door. It opened quickly.

“Ashton, I’ve missed you.” My brother pulled me in tightly and twirled me around.

“I missed you, too. Uncle Harry and Aunt Jackie are unpacking the van.”

“Go inside and wake up Brian. He’s the second room on the left. I’ll go help.” He walked outside.

I carefully went inside. I looked around and didn’t see anything exciting. There was a dark haired boy sitting on the couch. I waved to him and kept going to find Brian. I opened the door. Brain was sleeping on his stomach with his arm dangling down.”

Silently, I walked over to him and whispered in his ear. He started to stir, but didn’t wake up. I started tickling his side.

“Go away.” He mumbled into his pillow. I tickled him again and started to laugh.

“Fine. I’m getting up.” He turned over and sat up.

“Hey Bri. Glad to see me?”

“Mom didn’t tell me you were coming.”

“I wanted it to be a surprise.”

Brian got up and stretched. We walked into the living room. That boy was still sitting on the couch.

“AJ, I would like you to meet my favorite cousin. This is Ashton.”

“Nice to meet you Ashton.” He shook my hand.

“Nice to meet you. What does AJ stand for?” I asked curiously.

“Alexander James.”

“Cool. We have the same initials. Mine is Ashton Jeannette.”

“We’re both AJ.” He smiled at me. I nodded my head. He seemed nice. I notice Brian had gone outside. I sat down by AJ.

“Are you in the vocal harmony group?”

“Yes. There are five of us. Nick and Howie are also in the group.” He explained.

“Are you any good?”

“I think so. We are hoping to break into the business. Do you sing?”

“No. I play the piano, clarinet and flute. I’m planning to join the colorguard at my high school next year.”

“What’s colorguard?”

“It’s the girls in the band that spin flags and rifles. You have to tryout to get on the squad.”

“Are you any good?” He asked smiling at me.

“Yeah. Brian’s girlfriend is on the squad. She’s been helping me. How old are you AJ?”

“I’m fifteen. You?”

“I’m fourteen, but I will be fifteen in October.”

“AJ we have to go. Howie’s here. Ashton you want to come to practice with us?” My brother asked me.

“Sure.”

-------------------------------------------------------

“Ashton, this is Nick.” Brian introduced me to a scrawny blonde boy.

“Hi.” I said cheerfully. He looked at me but didn’t say anything. What a rude boy.

The boys were learning a dance. This was going to be interesting. I wonder if any of them could dance. Howie and AJ could move. They were learning the steps quickly and did them correctly on the first try. They seemed to be enjoying the dance. Kevin was doing a pretty good job. Brian needed help. He was struggling and kept making goofy faces at me. Finally there was Nick. He was tripping over his feet. He looked frustrated. The choreographer kept yelling at him which made his dancing even worse. The spent an hour working on the same eight count. At this rate they would never finish the routine. Being a dancer, I had the steps memorized in about ten minutes.

“Take a ten minute break. When we get back, we’re moving on.” The choreographer announced and left the room. All the boys followed behind her except for Nick. He stood in front of the mirror, attempting to get the moves down.

I walked over to him. “You need some help?”

“Nah. I think I have it.” He gave me a dirty look.

“Just remember bounce bounce step bounce instead of the counts.”

“I don’t need your help.” He screeched at me. I don’t think he like me. I walked out of the room to find Kevin and Brian.

“So what do you think?”

“So far, it’s interesting. I’m not use to seeing you guys dance. I can’t wait to hear you sing.”

“We don’t have vocal practice until tomorrow.” AJ announced.

“I’ll be leaving later tonight.” I frowned.

“We’ll send you a tape of us singing.” Brian hugged me.

I was going to miss Brian a lot. I already missed Kevin a lot. Everything in my life was changing.