- Text Size +

Being in Florida makes me happy. I could stay here forever. I can’t think about going back to Lexington. It makes me physically ill. For the first time, I have real friends. I laugh and have fun with other people. I’m not only friends with the guys. I met a girl through Alex. Her name is Sage. She’s a lot of fun. Today I am going to hang out with Sage. The boys have a performance in Tampa.

Nick is still mad at everyone about the Truth or Dare game. It didn’t help that Alex told everyone about Nick’s little issue. I feel bad about it. If I had known that I would cause that, I wouldn’t have done it. I was embarrassed. I didn’t even know I could do that to a guy. Like I said before, I’m kind of a social misfit. Though lately, I don’t feel that way as much.

 I set my pen down and closed my journal. I was getting ready to spend the day at Sage’s.

“Ashton, are you ready?”

“Yes, Kevin.”

I grabbed my bag and head out to the car.

“You seem so happy.”

“Kevin, I love it here. It’s beautiful. I have friends. Can I move in with you for good?”

“Wow. You want to leave Kentucky? I thought you loved it there.”

“I hate it there. I have no friends. I’m miserable in Kentucky. It’s like I can be me in Orlando and everyone is okay with that. In Lexington, I had to be like everyone else in order to be liked. It wasn’t worth it. I’m able to be geeky and my friends accept that. I can’t go back there. I know it’s a huge responsibility Kevin. I promise to stay out of your way and do anything you ask of me.”

“Let me talk to mom about it.”

-------------------------------------------------

“You need a makeover. I mean you are pretty in a dorky kind of way. Just think what you would look like if I made you over.”

“I don’t know Sage. I’m….kind of….okay…with how I look.” I lied to her. It wasn’t that I wanted to continue to look like a geek, but I was afraid of changing who I was. I have been a geek since I was about eleven. Would I really be able to change my outward look and be the same person on the inside? I remember having a similar conversation with my mom the night of the homecoming dance.

“Well can I at least fix your hair and make-up? I have an idea. Let’s make ourselves over and go to the show tonight and see if any of the guys recognize you.”

“Okay, why not.”

“What’s your prescription?”

“For what?”

“For your glasses?”

“Negative 3.75.”

“I’ll be back.” Sage ran out of the room. I had no clue what she was doing. Why would she need my eyeglass prescription?

Moments later she appeared with a box of contact lenses. “Here, put these in. My dad is an optometrist. We have a bunch of contacts lying around the house.” She threw the boxes at me.

An hour later, I was a whole new girl. My green eyes were more noticeable with the contacts. Sage cut my hair into layers and then curled it. I had on so much make-up, but it looked natural. I was impressed. She dressed me up in a pair of jeans and a cute flannel shirt. I looked in the mirror and saw a different person. I still saw the old me, but the new me was shining through. I loved it. I felt more confident than I had ever in the past. It was a new start for me.

“Wow! Thank you Sage. You did a great job. I’m actually pretty.” I gave her a hug.

“You are welcome. You were always a beauty. You just chose to hide it. I’m jealous of those long legs. You ready to go?” I grabbed my purse and we headed out to Tampa.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The concert was awesome. The guys had improved tremendously since their performance at Tates Creek. Brian was finally getting the dances moves down. Nick’s voice wasn’t as whiny. I thought they were awesome. Afterwards they were signing autographs. Sage and I decided to go bother them.

“Hey boys.”  Sage said.

“Hey. What are you two doing here?” Kevin asked in surprise.

“We came to watch the show. Am I in trouble?” I asked. I didn’t want to make Kevin angry.

“No. I was just curious.” Then he looked at me. “Whoa! Ashton, you look beautiful.”

“Thanks. Sage made me over.”

The other guys looked my way, except Nick. He glanced at me and put his head down. He was pretending to act busy with the stuff on the table. What a weirdo?

“You clean up nice, cuz.”

“I didn’t even recognize you, Ashton. Very pretty.”

“You look gorgeous.” Howie smiled at me.

“Thanks.” I started to blush. I wasn’t use to all this attention. It felt good.

“The concert was great.”

“You guys improve so much since I first saw you perform.”

We continued talking and hanging out. Everyone was talking and laughing, except Nick. He sat at the table quietly, ignoring all of us.

“Nick, come join us.” Sage yelled at him.

“No thanks, my mom will be here soon to get me.”

“What’s his problem?” I whispered to Alex.

“I don’t know. He was fine to you showed up.”

“Do you think he’s still upset about the dare?” I noticed Nick looking at me. He turned his head when I looked at him.

“Nah. We’ve already found something else to pick on him about.” Alex gave me a hug. Nick stared at us for a moment and quickly looked away. Boys, I didn’t understand them.