- Text Size +

Kevin, Nia and I were sitting at the table eating breakfast. I would be going home in two days, not that I wanted to go back.  I was happy in Orlando. Sage was becoming my best friend. I was finally becoming the person I wanted to be.

“Ashton, I talked to mom.”

“Yeah.” I said in anticipation. I hoped he convinced her to let me stay in Orlando.

“We discussed the option of you moving down here for good.”

“What did mom say?”

“She said that you have to back to Kentucky.” He said seriously. My heart felt like it was breaking. “After Christmas you can come back to Florida for good.”

I jumped out of my seat and hugged Kevin. I was never so happy in my entire life. “Thank you, Kevin. I’m going to go call mom.

“Hi Mom. Kevin told me the news. Thank you.” I said into the phone.

“You’re welcome honey. I’m going to miss you so much.”

“Mom, I’m going to miss you, too. Thanks for understanding why it’s important for me to live in Florida. I don’t think I could take living in Lexington. Everything feels right when I’m here. I have friends and they like me for me.”

“All I want is your happiness. I can hear it in your voice. Kevin told me about your makeover. You’ve truly blossomed in the past few weeks. I want to continue to see you grow to be a wonderful young woman.”

“I will mom. I love you.”

---------------------------------------------------

THE NEXT DAY

I didn’t tell anyone that I was moving to Orlando in January. I wanted to wait until right before I left. Tonight Kevin and Nia were throwing me a party to say goodbye. Sage and the guys were hanging out in the living room. I was in the kitchen helping Nia with snacks.

“Nia, I’m so excited to be living with you.”

“It’s going to be a lot of fun especially when Kevin is traveling.”

I grabbed a bowl of chips and a bottle of soda. As I walked into the living room, I tripped over a pair of shoes. The bowl of chips went flying as I fell onto Nick who was sitting on the floor.

“Ouch.” I couldn’t move.

“GET OFF ME!!!” Nick yelled. I quickly got myself back on my feet. My face was bright red.

“You okay?” Alex came over.

“Yeah.”

“Watch where you’re going you big klutz.” Nick said and moved to the couch.

“It was an accident.” I told Alex. I started picking up the chips. Nick made me so mad. He acted like I meant to fall on top of him. I don’t think he liked me.

Everyone seemed to be having a good time. Kevin and Howie were chatting. Nick and Brian were playing video games. Sage and Nia were gossiping.

“I’m going to miss you so much. I wish you could stay.”

“I know, Alex. I wish I could, too. I hate the thoughts of going back to Kentucky. I don’t fit in there.”

Alex embraced me. We sat there hugging each other.

“Its game time!” announced Sage. She loved playing games. “Everyone sit in a circle.”

We followed her directions. Then she passed out ten straws to each of us.

“What are we playing?” Howie asked.

“The game is Never Have I Ever. We’ll take turns saying something we’ve never down. If you have done something, you put your straw in the middle. The person with the last straw is the winner. I’ll go first. Never have I ever gone fishing.” Kevin, Nick, Brian, and I placed a straw in the middle.

“Never have I ever kissed a boy.” Alex smirked. Nia, Sage, and I threw straws in.

“Never have I ever been in a singing group.” All the boys placed a straw in the middle of the circle.

About a half an hour later Kevin, Howie, Nia, Sage, and Alex were out of the game. Brian had three straws left. Nick and I both had five straws left. My goal was to win. I definitely wanted to beat Nick.

“Never have I ever laughed until something I drank came out of my nose.” Brian replied looking at me. I threw my straw in and Nick did the same.

“My turn. Never have I ever stayed in a hotel.” The boys threw their straws in the pile.

“Never have I ever gone to high school.” I glared at Nick and threw my straw in the middle. It accidently hit him and he raised his eyebrow at me. I smiled at him.

“Never have I ever worn a dress.”  I threw another straw in. I was going to get Brian out.

“Never have I ever driven a car.”

“I’m out.” Brian laughed.

It was Nick and I played. I was going to beat him at this game. We continued to play the game. Nick was actually pretty good at this game. He spent time thinking about what things he could get me on. I was trying to trick him just as much. We were both competitive. Both of us had one straw left. Everyone was watching closely to see who was going to win.

“Never have I ever kissed AJ.” Nick said with a giant smirk on his face. I threw my straw in the pile. I was getting ready to congratulate Nick.

“Ha ha ha. I won. I beat you. In your face.” Nick jumped up and started screaming.

“Nick it’s a game. Chill out.”

“I beat you. You’re just jealous cause I won.”

“Get over yourself twerp. It’s a game. You didn’t win a prize.”

“My prize was beating you.” He laughed.  I was not going to fight with a thirteen year old.

“Whatever Nick. Congrats on winning the game.” I smiled and walked away. He looked shocked, but gave me the look of death. I walked into the kitchen laughing.