- Text Size +

January had finally arrived, and I had moved to Florida. I was slowly unpacking my stuff. Kevin was busy will rehearsals and performance. Nia and I were on our own a lot. Today I was starting school again. I was going to be tutored with Alex and Nick.

“Good morning you must be Ashton. I’m Mitch. I’ll be teaching you.”

“It’s nice to meet you.” I sat down at the table. Nick was working on math problems. He was concentrating so hard, he didn’t even realize I was there.

“Hi Nick. What are you working on?”

“Math problems.”

“You need any help?” I asked nicely.

“Nah. I think I got it.” He continued to work, erasing his paper every three seconds. Nick got frustrated and threw his pencil down.

“What are you stuck on?”

“I’m getting stuck on reducing the fraction.” I grabbed his paper and took a look at the problem. This was simple.

“Nick you need to divide the numerator and denominator by three. That will put in lowest terms.”

“Okay.” Nick got back to work solving the problems. “Is the answer two thirds?”

“Yes it is.” I smiled at him. We were actually being nice to each other.

Nick looked at me and smiled. He quickly gave me a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks for helping me.”

“What’s going on here, little Nicky?” AJ laughed. Nick’s face turned bright red. He was embarrassed because Alex saw him kissing me.

“Nothing.” He grumbled and left the room.

“Ashton what is up with you and Nicky?”

“Umm…nothing. I was helping him with math. He thanked me and kissed me on the cheek. It’s the first time we’ve been nice to each other.”

“Aww its love.” AJ teased.

“Shut up. It’s not anything. You embarrassed him.”

--------------------------------------

“Nicky and Ashton sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g.” AJ sang loudly.

“Shut up.”

“It’s love.”

“I said shut up.” Nick’s voice rose.

“Who’s in love?’Brian asked as he put his sneakers on.

“Nicky’s in love.”

“I am not!” He glared at AJ.

“Who’s the lucky girl?” Kevin asked.

“NO ONE! I AM NOT IN LOVE!” Nick screamed and went inside the dance studio. The other boys just watched him leave.

“What’s his problem?” AJ said innocently as he leaned against the wall.

“I think he’s annoyed with you AJ.” Howie stated the obvious.

“What did I do?”

“Anyways. Who’s Nick like?”

“Ashton.”

“Ashton?” Kevin questioned.

“Isn’t obvious. The way he is constantly fighting with her all the time. The way he acts weird when she’s around. I don’t think he realizes that’s why he’s acting that way.”

“Well, you are the romantic one D. I get what you’re saying.”

“Ahh young love. I don’t think Ashton feels the same.” Kevin replied. He knew his sister didn’t like Nick in that way.

“Nick kissed her today.”

“He did what?” Brian stood up.

“It was only on the cheek. He was thanking her for helping him with math.”

“Ahh….so this is why you’re saying he’s in love with her.”

“Let’s go boys. It’s time for practice.” Fatima yelled at them. They all rushed into the studio where Nick was warming up.

---------------------------------------

            Today was a weird day. I started tutoring with Nick and Alex. The work was easy, and I got bored. Alex goofed around a lot. Nick seemed to be frustrated, especially when it came to math. I honestly felt bad for him. He almost wore a hole in the paper from erasing so much. I offered to help him, and he let me. I was surprised because all we do is fight. Why? I don’t know why, we just do. Anyways, I helped him with his math problem. He thanked me by kissing my on the cheek. It surprised me. I thought a thank you would have been good enough. Most boys don’t kiss girls when they help them with school work. Nick is odd, I won’t lie. He is not like Kevin, Brian, or Alex. Heck, he’s not even like Howie. He seems so young to me. Well Alex saw him kiss me. Then he started to pick on poor Nick. He couldn’t leave it alone.

            Alex is a blabbermouth. He told all the guys at practice about the kiss. He told them Nick is in love with me. Alex is my friend, but I’m mad at him. He had no right to embarrass Nick in front of the guys. Apparently the guys are teasing him, well mostly Alex. I’m going to give him a taste of his own medicine someday. He won’t like it. Just because Nick and I dislike each other doesn’t mean Alex should treat him that way. Plus, I don’t like being the butt of someone’s joke. Watch out Alex, your day will come.

I slammed my journal shut. When Kevin told me about what happened at rehearsal. I was mad. I don’t know why it affected me that way. I guess I just hate when people are treated unfairly for no reason. It bothers me more when a friend does it.

“Ashton, the phone’s for you.”

“Thanks Nia.” I grabbed my phone. “Hello.”

“Hey AJ.”

“Alex don’t call me that. I’m not in a good mood.”

“What’s wrong?”

“You.”

“Me? What did I do?”

“Picking on Nick about me. That’s just wrong?” I yelled at him.

“Whoa. I thought you hated the twerp. I didn’t mean anything by it. Why are you getting so defensive?”

“I’m not getting defensive. It was wrong to embarrass him in front of the guys. He looks up to all of you, and then you act like a jerk.”

“I didn’t know you were that concerned. It seems to me you have a little crush on Nicky. I’ve never seen you defend anyone like that.” Alex commented.

“Whatever. I don’t like Nick. If someone did that to you, I would defend you. You need to learn to keep you moth shut.” I hung up on Alex.