- Text Size +

The boys were leaving for another high school and club tour in a couple days. We decided to celebrate Alex and Nick’s birthdays. Alex was turning sixteen, and Nick was turning fourteen. I had spent all day baking cakes for them.

“Mmm what smells so good?” Nia asked. She had just gotten home from work.

“It’s a chocolate cake. There’s also a vanilla cake in the fridge.”

“Wow. That’s nice of you. Those boys are lucky to have you as a friend.”

I started frosting the cake. Everyone was going to be arriving in a few minutes. The door bell rang, but I was busy so I didn’t answer it. It kept ringing. Finally they let themselves in.

“ANYONE HOME?” Brian screamed through the apartment.

“In the kitchen.” I put the cake in the fridge. Then I started to get the snacks ready.

“Hey Ashy. You’re going all out for this party.”

“Well, you only turn sixteen once. It’s a big moment in Alex’s life. He’s been talking about it for the last week. I didn’t think it was fair for Nick to be excluded since you’ll be away.”

“That’s sweet of you.” Brian grabbed a handful of pretzels.

“Stay out of the snacks.” I smacked his hand. “Why don’t you take these bowls to the living room?”

I shooed him out of the kitchen. Quickly I cleaned up and went to get changed. As I got dressed I could hear everyone’s voices. I dabbed on some perfume and was on my way.

“Happy birthday Alex!” I gave him a hug. I walked over to Nick. “Happy birthday, Nicky!”

“Thanks. Nia said you made chocolate cake.” He smiled at me.

“I sure did.” We both stood there staring at each other. It was uncomfortable. I didn’t know what to say to him. Apparently, he didn’t know what to say to me.

“Ashton, what did you buy me?” Alex had walked over to us.

“Nothing.”

“Aww. I thought you loved me.” He pouted.

“You know I love you.”

The party was a hit. Everyone was having a great time. People were talking and dancing. Alex was dancing with Sage. Nick was sitting all alone on the couch. I could sense that something was wrong. I went and sat down next to him.

“Hey, Nick. You having a good time?”

“Umm…not really. Everyone’s ignoring me. They always do because I’m just a kid. They don’t treat AJ that way because he’s cool.”

“It sucks doesn’t it? I’ve been in your shoes a lot Nick. It hurts a lot when people aren't accepting of who you are.”

“How did you handle it?”

“Well…I didn’t handle it very well at all. I was like a turtle and hid in my shell. I tried making friends, but no one really gave me the time.  I felt invisible. It wasn’t until I came to visit Florida that I felt accepted.”

“Did it bother you?” He asked me.

“Yes, it hurt a lot. I knew someday it would get better and it did. Nick, you be one of the guys someday. You just have to grow a little. It will happen.”

“I hope. You wanna dance?” He asked nervously. I nodded my head. We both stood up. A slow song came on.

I can show you the world ~ shining, shimmering, splendid ~ tell me princess, now when did ~ you last let your heart decide

Nick pulled me closer to him. He nervously put his hands on my waist. My hands went around his neck. We slowly swayed back and forth. I looked at Nick and smiled. He smiled back at me. I felt something in the pit of my stomach. I had never felt that before. It was kind of weird like a flutter. Nick spun me around. He looked me in the eye and just stared at me. There was that flutter in my stomach. Every time I looked at him I felt that way. My thoughts were all jumbled inside my brain. Nothing was clear in my mind, except thoughts about Nick.

My face moved closer to his. I licked my lips nervously. Slowly, I placed my lips on his and kissed him. We broke apart and he smiled at me.

“Wow! What was that for?” He asked in a squeaky voice.

“Umm…it was your birthday gift.” I pulled myself away from him. I didn’t know what to say or do. I did the only thing I knew how; I ran to my bedroom.

Nick stood in the middle of the room shocked. He didn’t know what was going on. Quickly he walked into the kitchen. At least he was alone. He hoped no one had seen what happened.

“Nick is everything okay?” Nia walked into the kitchen.

“No.” He tried to hold back the tears he felt in the corner of his eyes.

“You wanna talk about it?” She sat down at the table.

“Not really.”

“You might feel better.”

“Ashton kissed me.” Nick mumbled so Nia didn’t understand him

“Say that again.”

“Ashton kissed me.”

“What did you think about that?’

“I guess I liked it. It just was weird. I didn’t expect her to do that. She said it was my birthday gift.”

“Well, girls usually kiss boys they like. I don’t think Ashton would kiss you if she didn’t like you.”

“I’ve never had a girl like me.” He smiled.

“Let me give you some advice Nick. Ashton may not realize she likes you. She is probably just as confused as you are. So, if she acts weird around don’t get mad at her. Just be yourself.” Nick shook his head. He didn’t understand girls.

----------------------------

I sat on my bed crying. What had I done? Why did I kiss Nick? I didn’t mean to kiss him. Something had just come over me. I didn’t understand it. I was confused.

There was a knock at the door. “Come in.”

“Ashton, why aren’t you out there enjoying yourself? Kevin asked.

“I don’t feel good.” I sniffled.

“I saw you dancing with Nick.”

“Really?  That’s nice.” I said in a monotone voice.

“Did he say something to you?”

“No. I don’t want to talk about it.” I didn’t want to talk to my brother about kissing his friend. That would be so weird. I would rather keep this secret to myself.

“Okay. Do you want to come out and cut the cake?”

“Sure.” I wiped my eyes and followed Kevin out of the room.

 

 Song: A Whole New World from Aladdin