- Text Size +

I sat down at the table next to Alex. He was reading his history assignment. I grabbed my pencil and opened my history book. I was busy concentrating so I didn’t notice Nick walk in. He sat down and started his school work. By accident his elbow hit my book. I moved my book and glared at him. I continued working on my essay that was due in ten minutes. Again, Nick’s elbow bumped me.

“Would you watch it? I’m trying to finish my essay, and you keep bumping me.”

“I’m not trying to bump you. I don’t have enough room. You’re hogging the table.”

“I am not. Alex is using the other end of the table. I’m not hogging the table.” I pointed to where Alex was using the table.

“You always blame me for everything. I don’t see you yelling at AJ.”

“He’s not bumping me.” I hissed at him. Nick just didn’t get it. He annoyed me.

“Where would you like me to go?” He ran his fingers through his hair.

“As far away from me as possible.”

“You’re such a bitch. All you do is complain and yell at me.”

“That was completely uncalled for. You are a jerk.”

“Would both of you stop. I’m trying to get my work done and all I hear is you bickering.”

“I didn’t do anything. I’m trying to finish my essay and he keeps bumping me.” I defended myself.

“You know what I think? I think you both like each other and are too stupid to realize it. Instead of trying to get along, you fight. I think it’s some type of sexual tension. You find yourself hot and bothered when you fight. Just kiss and get it over with.”

“You are nuts AJ. What kind of drugs are you on? I can’t stand her let alone want to kiss her.” Nick made puking noise to show how much he hated me.

“Since when did you become an expert on love? Have you been reading Cosmo?” Then I point to Nick. “I don’t you either. In fact I loathe you. You’re so ugly and stupid no girl will want you.” I grabbed my book and papers and left.

----------------------------------------------

“Hi Denise. How are you?” I was sitting on the couch at Alex’s house.

“I’m doing well. Are you still mad at AJ?”

“Nah. I can’t stay mad at him. Are you excited about going to Sweden?”

“Yes, it will be exciting. I was wondering if you would like to be my assistant in Sweden.”

“Really? I would love to. What would I be doing?” I was excited for this opportunity. I always wanted to travel. This would give me time to spend with Kevin and the guys.

“Well you would help me keep the guys on schedule and things like that.”

“It sounds awesome. Thank you for thinking of me.” I hugged Denise.

“Well I didn’t want you in Florida by yourself for the summer. I got permission from your mom. She is excited for you and Kevin.”

“Cool. Can I boss Nick around? I smiled at her.

“A little. Are you still fighting with him?”

“I’m not even talking to him. He started it. Nick just irks me. I don’t know why he bothers me so much. AJ says we like each other.”

“Hmm…well lots of people who like each other start off as enemies. Love and hate are very close emotions.” I thought about what she said. I couldn’t like Nick. He’s such a whiny, mean boy. He never has anything nice to say to me. Grant it, I wasn’t very nice to him either. I don’t know why I acted that way towards him. I got irritated as soon as I saw him.

----------------------------------

I sat on my bed. I was more confused than ever. This Nick situation was getting on my nerves. I opened up my journal and began to write.

            I have such mixed emotions going through my head. Though Alex would say emotions don’t come from your head, they’re from the heart. When I think of Nick, he has nothing to do with my heart. That would mean I liked or cared about him. At this point neither was true. I HATE NICK CARTER!!!! There was nothing I liked about him. He was tall and skinny (well not as tall as me, so he is shrimpy compared to me). He whined when he didn’t get his way. He whined when the other guys picked on him. He wouldn’t stick up for himself and when he did he whined and complained. He wasn’t cute. Nick’s hair was always in his face. He spent most of the time removing it from his eyes. Go get a hair cut!!!! He cried all the time and pretended he didn’t. The only thing he did okay was sing. Nick was always giving me dirty looks. Other times he would stare at me. I always catch him and he looks away.

            I can’t believe I actually try to be nice to him. Why did I kiss him? I was his first kiss. He’ll always remember me because of that. Thank goodness he wasn’t mine. Alex was my first kiss. His felt like kissing my brother. Nick’s didn’t feel that way at all. His lips were smooth. He must use chapstick. Why am I talking about kissing Nick? I don’t know why I kissed him. Maybe it was because he was actually being nice to me. He was friendly and we were slow dancing. I saw everyone else dancing and acting romantic. That was probably why. I wanted to be like everybody. Well, I would never tell Alex, but Nick was a better kisser than him. He would be pissed and whine about it for days. Alex would give Nicky, I mean Nick a hard time. I will keep that secret to myself.

            Like I said, I’m confused. I don’t what I’m thinking or feeling. Maybe I never will. I will take one day at a time. If Nick is nice to me, I will be nice to him. I will not go out of my way to be his friend. I will be polite and courteous to him. My mom and dad taught me good manners. I will make them proud.