- Text Size +

Life was at home was boring without Brian. I spent most of my afternoons sitting at home reading. Brian’s girlfriend, Missy helped me with colorguard tryouts. I was one of the only upcoming freshmen to make it for colorguard. I was excited about being on the squad.  In August, I would be going to band camp. Maybe I would make some friends in high school.

“Ashton, the phone’s for you.” My mom handed me the phone.

“Hello.”

“Ashy, how are you?”

“Bri. I miss you so much. I’m bored here in Lexington.”

“I’m sorry. Missy said you made the squad. Congrats!” Brian was happy Ashton had found an activity to do in high school.

“Thanks, Bri. How’s your vocal harmony group going?” I was excited to hear about his life.”

“It’s going well. We’re calling ourselves Backstreet Boys. Kevin is getting on our nerves. Your brother is so bossy.”

“No kidding. Are the other guys nice?”

“Howie’s kind of quiet. He’s always nice to everyone. Alex is unique. He’s funny, but his mouth gets him into trouble. Nick is cool. We play video games and basketball together.”

Brian sounded like he was enjoying himself in Florida. I hope he didn’t forget about me since he had all these new friends. I was all alone in Kentucky.

“They sound nice.” I whispered.

“What’s wrong, Ashy?” Brian asked concerned.

“I’m lonely Brian. I don’t have anyone to hangout with since you left.”

“I’m sorry. When school starts you’ll make lots of new friends.”

“I guess. I always thought you would be at high school with me.” I remarked sadly.

“I know. I thought I would be there during your freshman year, but this is a chance of a lifetime. I wish you would be happy for me.”

“I am happy for you and Kevin. I just feel like I’m missing it all. I got to go Brian.” I couldn’t talk to him any longer. I was ready to break down. There were tears in my eyes. I was happy for both of them. I just wanted to be a part of their lives.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was my first day of high school. The summer flew by even if it was uneventful. I felt comfortable going to high school since I knew some people from the marching band.

“Morning Ashton.”

“Hey Missy. Are you excited for your senior year?” I stood beside her. Missy was beautiful. She had long blonde hair, blue eyes, and a nice smile. She was popular at school.

“Yes, but I wish Brian was here.”

“Have you talked to him lately?” We started walking down the hall.

“He called me this morning to wish me luck on my first day of school. He’s so sweet. He said the guys are going on a school tour.”

“That sounds like fun. Maybe they’ll come to Tates Creek.”

“That would be cool. What period do you have lunch?”

I looked at my schedule. “I have it fifth period.”

“So do I. I’ll save you a seat.” Missy walked into her classroom. I continued walking down the hall until I came to my classroom.

The morning dragged on. Academically I knew high school would be easy. My morning classes included U.S. History, Honors English, and French. Popularity wise, I knew I was going to have problems. A few kids from the band said hi, but other than that no one talked to me in my classes. I was still going to be a geek. I made my way to my locker and threw my books in. I grabbed my lunch and headed to the cafeteria. It was huge. I scanned the cafeteria and found Missy. Quickly I walked over.

“Hey Ashton. You have a good morning?” She smiled at me.

“It was okay.”

“I want you to meet Kiki, Jamie, Holly and Heidi. Everyone this is Ashton. She’s Brian’s cousin.” I smiled at them.

“My sister dated your brother Kevin a few years ago. She thought he was hot.” Jamie told me.

“Did you hear that Jake Simmons wants to date some freshman.”

“He’s the most popular guy in the senior class. Why would he date a freshman?” Kiki rolled her eyes.

“Who is it? I asked.

“Kelsey Worthington.”

“I heard she puts out.”

“That’s why he’s dating a freshman.” The girls laughed.

They continued to gossip. I felt out of place. I was never into girlie things like gossiping and makeup. I would have rather been reading a book. The bell rang, telling us lunch was over. I went to my next class.

The afternoon was just as uneventful as the morning. I had Algebra 2, Biology, Art and Gifted/Talented. My teachers had piled on the homework. I ended up taking all of my books home with me.

“How was your first day of high school?” My mom asked. She set a plate of cookies in front of me.

“It was ok. Nothing special happened. I have tons of homework.”

“Did you meet anyone new?”

“Yeah. Missy introduced me to her friends. They spend all their time gossiping.” I took a drink of milk.

“I talked to your brother today.”

“Which one?”

“Kevin. They are starting a school tour around the east side of the United States. There coming to Tates Creek.”

“When?” I asked excitedly.

“In October. On your birthday.”

“Mom that is so cool. I can’t wait to see him and Brian.”

“They are coming for the weekend and singing on Monday.”

“Mom you made my day. I’m going to go do my homework. Let me know when dinner’s ready.” I placed a kiss on her cheek. I grabbed my backpack and went to my bedroom.