- Text Size +

The two weeks before I left for Kentucky went extremely fast. Nick and I barely spent anytime together. I think Kevin planned it that way. He didn’t want me and Nick near each other for fear that we might take our relationship further. 

It was nice being home. I missed my mom. Today my mom and I were meeting Aunt Jackie for a spa day.  

“Ashton tells us about your boyfriend.” Aunt Jackie asked.

“His name is Nick. He’s in the Backstreet Boys. Brian is his best friend. I hated him at first, but now I like him a lot.”

“What’s he look like?” My mom asked while poking at her salad.

“He’s tall, but not as tall as me. He has blonde hair and blue eyes.” I sighed dreamily. I liked Nick so much. He was everything I wanted in a boyfriend.

“Nick sounds handsome. What’s he like?”

“Nick is funny and caring. He likes singing, playing basketball, and video games.”

“He sounds nice. I’m glad you found a nice boy.”

“Thanks mom. He’s everything to me. Kevin is so overprotective of me.”

“He cares about you and doesn’t want to see you get hurt.”

“I know, but he needs to lay off. He freaks out every time we kiss each other.”

“He’s being a protective older brother.” Aunt Jackie laughed. I rolled my eyes.

“I know, but I’m growing up. He’s got to get over it. I’m not a child anymore.”

----------------------------------------------

Boredom was setting in. I missed Nick and all my friends. I wanted to be back in Florida. I had missed Sage’s sweet sixteen party. It would have been a lot of fun. I had no friends in Lexington, so I spent my whole time at home with my mom. I sat on the porch staring at the fields.

“Ashton you have a phone call.” My mom handed me the phone and went back inside.

“Hello.”

“Hey Ashton. How’s Kentucky.”

“Pretty boring. How was your party?”

“It was a lot fun. Everyone was there.”

“Cool. I’m sure it was a lot of fun.” I tried to sound happy, but I wasn’t feeling that way at all.

“Have you talked to Nick today?”

“No. He’s at practice until four. He usually calls me after seven. Why?”

“Umm…I really shouldn’t be saying anything.”

“Tell me, Sage. What happened?”

“He was making out with Jenna Bryant at my party.”

“What?” Nick wouldn’t do that to me. He cared about me to much to do that. How could Sage do this to me?

“He was making out with Jenna for like half of the party. I just wanted to let you know, incase he didn’t say anything.”

“Thanks, Sage.”

“If it was my boyfriend I would expect someone to tell me. I can’t believe he would do that to do. You seemed like the perfect couple.”

“Yeah, looks can be deceiving. Thanks, Sage for telling me. I’m going to go.” I clicked the phone off and ran to my bedroom.

I slammed my door and fell on my bed crying. Why would Nick do this to me? I thought he cared about me. He was such a jerk. I didn’t want to be with him if he could cheat on me so easily. I wasn’t even gone for two weeks and he forgot about me.  All he wanted was to hook up with me. He didn’t even like me. I hated Nick Carter.

-------------------------------------------------

I dialed Nick’s number.  I waited for him to answer. It was going to be the hardest conversation I ever had with him.

“Hello!”

“Hi Nick.” I tried to act normal but I was fuming with anger.

“Ashton, I miss you.”

“I’m sure you do. How was Sage’s party?”

“It was nice. She had a DJ and stuff. AJ had fun dancing.”

“Oh. It sounds like I missed out on a fun party.” I said quietly.

“Is something wrong?”

“No. Why would you say that?” My heart was breaking. Tears were falling down my face.

“You sound different.” Nick sounded concerned.

“So can you tell me about Jenna Bryant?”

“What are you talking about?” He sounded shock. I knew that I threw him for a loop.

“You tell me.”

“She kissed me.”

“That’s not what I heard.”

“Let me guess AJ told you. What a jerk?” He punched the wall next to him.

“It wasn’t Alex. Besides it really doesn’t matter who told me. You were making out with another girl. I thought you cared about me.”

“I do care about you, Ashton. It was a mistake. I was missing you.”

“That’s not an excuse. I miss you, and I’m not finding a guy to make out with in Kentucky.” I yelled at him.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I made a mistake.”

“Were you even going to tell me?”

“No, I wasn’t going to. I wanted to forget that it even happened. I didn’t want to hurt you.”

“Nick, you did hurt me. I would have found out eventually. You broke my trust.”

“I didn’t mean to. I care about you so much. I love you.” Nick started to cry.

“I love you, too. I don’t think I can do this anymore.”

“You can’t break up with me.  I love you.” He pleaded.

“Nick, love just isn’t enough sometimes. You cheated on me. I don’t want to be with someone who can cheat on me so easily. How can I trust you when you become famous and tour the world? Girls will be after you, and you’re going to have to show some self-control. We need to take a break.”

“Fine Ashton. Whatever you want. Just know that I love you and need you in my life.”

I hung up the phone and started bawling. I had never been so heart broken in my life. I thought he loved me, but his actions showed that he didn’t. I couldn’t live without him. He was my everything. I didn’t want to go back to Florida. I couldn’t deal with seeing Nick and not being with him